Show 'em if you got 'em.

GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can go on and on with this theme.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might be a "theme" but I can't hum it. ;)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Here’s the bulk of my unusually-themed collection. I’ll probably upgrade and add the odd piece here and there, but this is what I’ve been working on for the past year. Nuclear-themed coins, from early atomic theory and radiology to weapons and energy, and other applications.

I’ve been meaning to make a pdf presentation explaining and outlining it all, and some pieces do require some explanation (especially the 1983 San Marino set). I’ve included some stamps and banknotes. Yes, there are 3 US pieces but they’re pretty esoteric.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zxwpc99nyxmw3ah/AAAJ-vn_E_aVCvpjFaOarMdya?dl=0

I have one other piece on the way from a seller in China: a North Korean missile test commemorative.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phil,

Those are some cool coins. Most of them I have never seen before.

There are a couple I think I will try to track down an example for myself.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wildmen:

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or maybe dudes with big hair?

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out my "Bullet books," at least one coin for each British king or queen if there were any coins issued with their name on them. That's my theme.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

outstanding @PCGSPhoto !!!

Our Friend the Atom
    :smile:

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Very cool, Zohar. It would look nicer in a PCGS Gold Shield holder, though ;)

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2018 2:49PM

My Atomic Horse:

~103 x ~103 x 7 mm, it's a little irregular. Unsure of the metal content, it's not 'heavy' enough to be bronze.

Russia MEPhI 30th Anniversary

Founded in 1942 as the Moscow Mechanical Institute of Munitions, but soon renamed the Moscow Engineering Physics Institute. Google-fu shows it’s original mission was to train personnel for (Soviet) military and atomic programs.

In 2009 it was redesigned as the National Research Nuclear University MEPhI and created as a university for advanced degrees and education. Currently the main departments include Experimental and Theoretical Physics, Physics and Technology, Cybernetics and Information Security, Automatics and Electronics, and High Technology Management and Economics.

Interestingly, it’s status was somewhat masked during the Cold War as the professors were officially on staff at other institutes (and was not mentioned in publications).

Otherwise, this thread could be hazardous to my free time. Soooo many themes...horses, sighthounds, moms/babies...coins/tokens/medals. Sigh.

Here's a very limited theme for me so far...Albanian coins and the ancients that (perhaps) inspired them:

(I have a bit more work to do on this set)

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stork,
    How's the BBL set coming along?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don