Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

1898 Barber Half Proof PCGS PF-68 CAM

This coin is as good as it gets. Please contact me if you
are interested in this one of a kind Barber.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3914638650

Comments

• Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I get invalid item when I cut/paste.
  • Options
    sorry the new auction will not be available for viewing until next Tuesday when the auction is scheduled to begin. You can view this
    picture in the meantime.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3907207712

• Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    And the price for this beautiful piece would be.......
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Heritage does not offer $25k for a POS dude.
    You are clueless.
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

How did you get a Ebay auction number already if you havent posted the auction on Ebay yet???

<< <i>item=3914638650 >>

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many times have you listed this piece and cancelled the auction? Do you finally have a reserve on this, or are you wasting people's time... again...?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Try this one...

Last time nobody bid

I used to have links to the previous six or seven, including the ones he/she cancelled at the last minute.

Hard to believe he turned down a $25K offer from Heritage when he can't even get $21 or $22K after six tries.
  • Options
    RYK - were you refering to the coin???
  • Options
    Wingsrule, I was NOT talking about the coin.

And, Cleon, if you failed to take Heritgae's "offer" for $25,000, you are the clueless one.

Previous threads:

link

And this was a good one...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks that ebay is going to produce a banner price for this coin is sniffing something. Other than at a "REAL" coin auction held at a major show or venue, figure on getting less for a coin like this. $25,000 seems like way more than Heritage would offer.
    Did you get that in writing? I'd go back if I were you and see if it was still available.

For what it's worth, proof Barber material was heavily saved and has survived the past 100 years pretty well considering. The fact that PF68 specimens are plentiful enough is NOT surprising. Compare that to the number of MS68 Barber halves (25% as many).
    As this market moves along, I expect to see the gap between MS67 and MS68 barbers to widen compared to the more common proofs.
    The fact that NGC seems to give away the PF68 grade way too easily on Barbers (but not on the UNCs) tells me to favor the MS coins. In this area, NGC has weakend PCGS's value somewhat.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    In a message dated 5/3/2004 12:11:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Leo@heritagegalleries.com writes:
    Mr. Dratler,
    Thank you for the email and picture of the coin. It is fabulous! As to value, who really knows? We sold the NGC Pr 68 last year for $25,000. I would think the PCGS coin would be worth more. I do know we'd love to include it in our ANA sale in Pittsburgh! Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    Thank you,

Leo Frese

• Options
    Ebay allows you to start an auction at a date of your choosing.
    I chose to start the auction after the Holiday weekend.
  • Options
    I have the coin listed for $23,000.00
    which is less than Heritage would net me provided that
    it sold for $25,000.00 after listing fees and commissions.
  • Options
    Heritage did NOT offer you $25k for this coin. Very misleading statement.

Why would you raise the price by 5% if the previous attempts have been unsuccessful? I would think it would go the other way.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    There's been a stupidity shortage resulting in a boredom crisis around here. Welcome back, cleon, old boy! You may never sell that coin, but the entertainment value of watching you try is priceless. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    puffpuff Posts: 1,475

<< <i>There's been a stupidity shortage resulting in a boredom crisis around here. Welcome back, cleon, old boy! You may never sell that coin, but the entertainment value of watching you try is priceless. image

Russ, NCNE >>

image Russ..... Seems like I've been doing alot of that lately.image
  • Options
    BTW...... CLEON....... If you will send me the coin on approval, and I like it I will pay you 20K for it........ You can check either of the dealers listed in my sig line, or Heritage for references.......

Seriously PM me if interested.image

Edited to add..... I am serious turn your PM on if intersted.
  • Options
    Why would I sell you the coin for $20k when I have it listed
    for $23K. Stupid I am not dude
  • Options
    I raised the price because the coin has increased in value
    based on what coin experts have advised me.
  • Options
    Russ. You are a highly respected coin expert. Step up to the
    plate and purchase it. Have some guts instead of monitoring these
    boards. Put your money where your mouth is.
  • Options
    Puff:

I am so happy that I keep you entertained. That is my goal
    in life. You want entertainment go see a good movie!!!
  • Options
    Cleon, if it such a terrific coin, why sell it?

Stupid is as stupid does.

Stupid I am not dude

Perhaps we should create a poll for that one...hmmm....
  • Options

<< <i>Stupid I am not dude

Perhaps we should create a poll for that one...hmmm... >>

Like we don't already know the results. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the coin is worth $25K per Heritage, then why the heck are selling it for $23K? That sounds strange to me.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Are you guys really that stupid.
    If Heritage sells my coin for $25k what is my net.
    If I sell the coin to one of the respected people who post on this
    board, I am doing you a great service, since you don't have to pay
    a premium as you are not buying to coin from a dealer.

Use your head guys!!!
  • Options
    Cleon, if it such a terrific coin, why sell it?

I am not a coin collector, just a speculator, unlike all you
    posters who think that you are all coin experts.
    I purchased this coin from Legend hoping to make a few dollars
    and purchase more shares of DSCO(Discovery Labs)
  • Options

Heritage did NOT offer you $25k for this coin. Very misleading statement.

Why would you raise the price by 5% if the previous attempts have been unsuccessful? I would think it would go the other way

If Heritage sold an NGC coin for $25k last year what do you think
    that a better PCGS coin would sell for now.
    Misleading my ASS
  • Options
    Why would you think that you could buy a retail coin from Legend and then flip it in a second retail transaction for a quick profit. Looks like you got stuck with it, mr. smartypants! image
  • Options
    Why genious. Because I have purchased 6 coins from Legend
    and have made 20% on each of them. You all think that you
    have the answers, but most of the time you are wrong!!!imageimage
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks,

I would like to make a comment, and I hope that no one thinks I am here to defend the coin, its price or even the seller. (Even though, as a lifelong Mets fan, I do love his ID and avatar!)

We should keep in mind that in this whole affair, it is important that we try to place ourselves in the other person's shoes. If I were the seller, I would be most distressed if there was this coterie of Internet detractors slamming my merchandise. It seems to me that the seller is marking the price of the coin by somewhere between 10% and 30% too much. But, in this industry, that is hardly the crime that knowingly selling fake 78CC TD's or what's happening on HSN is.

I understand the indignation some of us feels when some fly-by-night comes around here and tries to take advantage. But, the seller is actually using eBay as a venue for his sales. That is quite an open forum for all sorts of selling (and buying) shenanigans. Why not just ignore the poor chap, and let him waste his ebay fees of his own free choice? And, let's keep in mind that the membership's grievance against the seller is actually quite minor if you take out the personal back-n-forth.

To me, our time is much better used chasing down the more egregious villians on eBay and the like. JMHO.

Regards,

EVP

PS Cleon - take a hint. You're using the wrong approach here with the membership and with this coin. The membership has a mind of its own (and not collective either), and getting into a pi$$ing contest as an outsider is not going to ingratiate you or your coin around here.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

<< <i>Why would I sell you the coin for $20k when I have it listed
    for $23K. Stupid I am not dude >>

CLEON.........

First........ I am not a "dude" I am a well respected coin collector, not a dealer........

Second.... I will go your $23,000.00 if you have the balls to send me the coin on approval, and as I said before I can provide any references you want......... Why pay Ebay fees when I can save you the trouble of posting the coin?image

Third....... Since I doubt very seriously that you will take me up on my offer because I think you are indeed nothing more than a "wanabee" scam artist, and if by some very slim chance that I am wrong about your not being a scam artist, it is you that would be the fool not to "put up or shut up" and sell me the coin!image
  • Options
    Because I have purchased 6 coins from Legend and made 20% on each of them.

Well, I guess this one will drop your average a bit then, Cleon. Get out some steak sauce and eat it.
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭
    What EVP said.Sheesh people! This is a Buy/sell/trade forum,not the rip apart anyone who's not in the click forum.I don't know the guy, don't collect proof Barbers, and I could care less if he's asking 25 or 50k for it.If your not interested for any reason,whether the seller or coin, just move along.It's not necessary to tear into the guy.This is the kinda crap that makes me want to come here less and less.image
  • Options
    Second.... I will go your $23,000.00 if you have the balls to send me the coin on approval, and as I said before I can provide any references you want......... Why pay Ebay fees when I can save you the trouble of posting the coin?

Send me your complete name, mailing address, phone number
    and I will call you to discuss the details regarding shipping
    and method of payment.
    simon dratler
  • Options
    PS Cleon - take a hint. You're using the wrong approach here with the membership and with this coin. The membership has a mind of its own (and not collective either), and getting into a pi$$ing contest as an outsider is not going to ingratiate you or your coin around here.

I thought the object here was to buy and sell coins.
    I guess that I was incorrect in my assumption.
    Seems to me that if you are not arrogant or obnoxious you
    have no business on this board. I sincerely hope that I am wrong.
    PS Mets looked really bad yesterday wasted a fine effort from Glavine.
  • Options

<< <i>What EVP said.Sheesh people! This is a Buy/sell/trade forum,not the rip apart anyone who's not in the click forum. >>

It might be a good idea to research the history of this particular seller and coin before commenting. He has earned what has come to him.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Cleon,

You brought quite a bit of this on yourself after you advertised your Ebay auction here and then cancelled it at the last minute. Several people on these boards had their bids cancelled by you. Then you did the same thing again. And yet again, if I'm not mistaken.

And you are expecting to not take a few slams for it? You cancelled one dealers' bid because you said he was going to 'buy low and sell high' yet you just admitted that this is what you are doing????

I still stand by my earlier statement - Heritage DID NOT offer you 25K for this coin, they said a similar coin sold earlier for 25K.
  • Options
    Heritage sold a similar NGC coin for $25k.
    This coin is a PCGS PF-68 Cameo and It is one year later.
    Prices have gone up and PCGS commands more of a premium
    than NGC. My common sense tells me that 25K is low.
    As far as ebay, I was not aware that cancelling an auction prior
    to its completion constitutes a crime. I have since found out that ebay frowns on this particular behaviour since they feel that is
    is fee avoidance. I have refrained from listing my auctions in this
    manner and now list my items with a price that I want and a buy it now price which is the same. We must not offend members of this
    distinguished board. Dick Grasso would be proud of all of you. LOL
  • Options
    Puff check the feedback on this seller and cover your arse.

If you bothered to do some due dilligence you would see from the feedbacks that 4 of the 5 negatives were initiated by crooks.
    The 5th left me a negative feedback because I paid for an item with a personal check rather than a Money Order. The item was still shipped to me in proper order.
    Do your homework before making stupid statements.
  • Options

<< <i>It might be a good idea to research the history of this particular seller and coin before commenting. He has earned what has come to him. >>

What exactly did he do Russ?Please enlighten me?I have had a bid on one of your auctions cancelled before due to the auction being ended early.It happens.He still retains ownership of that coin until a sale is completed.If he ends early, so be it.We move on.If thats his offense,I've seen much worse.My point is, regardless of the seller and his tactics,noone has a gun to our heads to buy anything from anyone.If we determine someone to be a lowlife, we can choose not to deal with that person.It serves no purpose to tear people down on a buy/sell/trade forum because we don't like them.Take the Tradedollarnut situation on the other thread.That is a worthy cause.He went after a fraudulent seller who is knowingly scamming people for large sums of money.What great offense has Cleon commited other than poor salesmanship?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Benny,

This coin has been on ebay numerous times--each time being cancelled at the end because of a lack of bids. Also, Mark Feld checked to see that the coin was in Cleon's hands, then bid. When Cleon found out that Feld is a dealer, he cancelled the bid because Mark wasn't willing to buy the coin outright--instead, Mark wanted to "buy low, sell high."

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleon,

I understand you wanting to make some money on the coin. If that is what you do, so be it. I flip coins sometimes and hey, its fun... but... what you are doing now is flogging the coin all over everywhere and everyone.

As a dealer I wouldnt want the coin now because it is not fresh, I know its history, you have had a hard time selling it, you have cancelled bids etc.

Monster, properly graded, eye appealing coins do one thing... they sell.

Probably best to either auction it at a major auction or take a loss and move on. Mistakes are costly monetarily sometimes but I am sure that you will learn on this coin. I know that I have had to swallow some bitter pills before. Just dont burn a bunch of bridges along the way with people that might be your clients in the future?

Think about that.

Also, as far as pricing... the coin might be worth 23K I dont know but I doubt it. Bluesheet on a PC 67 is 4800... IF you double that for a 68 you get say 10000ish... so you are asking over twice bluesheet for the coin...

I will say again that I understand, we are all infatuated with purchases sometimes...sometimes we are just wrong... image

Personally I would feel comfortable in the coin at about 14000$ sight seen...

John
  • Options
    Hi Jeremy,I understand that his selling tactics are poor, and I'm not defending Cleon personally.Like I said,don't know the man nor do I have any interest in his coin.If he repeatedly chooses to end his auctions early and continually narrows his customer base in the process,again I would say that it's an example of poor salesmanship.I see no fraud or deceipt being comitted here that merrits him being ripped a new one on the b/s/t boards.There are much worthier candidates out there to go after.
  • Options
    I was going to stop posting with the hope that this would fall off the page. No such luck. image

There are much worthier candidates out there to go after.

I agree with the spirit of your post, Benny. I would hate for these forums to become overrun with these types.

• Options

<< <i>What exactly did he do Russ?Please enlighten me?I have had a bid on one of your auctions cancelled before due to the auction being ended early. >>

Yep, a Walker with six days to go in the auction. In Cleon's case, he originally spammed the US forum with this sale. Then proceeded to cancel Coinguy1's legitimate bid simply because he "was a dealer who wanted to sell the coin at a profit". Then he ran the no reserve auction all the way to the end, and cancelled it at the last moment because it didn't bring what he'd hoped.

Then he relisted it, and did it again.

Then he relisted it again, and did it again.

Then, when he was called on this practice, he said he checked with his "lawyers" (yeah, right). He then proceeded to attack just about everyone for pointing out that what he had done would not win him any friends among those who might actually be interested in his coin. Finally, he was informed by eBay to cease trying to avoid reserve fees.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Then he relisted it, and did it again.

Then he relisted it again, and did it again.

Then, when he was called on this practice, he said he checked with his "lawyers" (yeah, right). He then proceeded to attack just about everyone for pointing out that what he had done would not win him any friends among those who might actually be interested in his coin. Finally, he was informed by eBay to cease trying to avoid reserve fees.

Russ, NCNE

I feel sorry for you. You seem like a miserable human being.
    My condolences to your family.
  • Options
    Also, as far as pricing... the coin might be worth 23K I dont know but I doubt it. Bluesheet on a PC 67 is 4800... IF you double that for a 68 you get say 10000ish... so you are asking over twice bluesheet for the coin...

I will say again that I understand, we are all infatuated with purchases sometimes...sometimes we are just wrong...

Personally I would feel comfortable in the coin at about 14000$ sight seen...

John

Correct me if I am wrong. I am not too bright.
    If a 67 is worth $4800 and you double it for a 68 that brings $9600
    You are offering $14k. Man are you generous!!!
  • Options
    Puff check the feedback on this seller and cover your arse.

Puff called me just recently and we had a pleasant conversation.
    If all you people had his personality, the world would be a better place and coin collectors would command more respect.