Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grey Sheet now published by John Feigenbaum

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Likely old news to most, but I didn't see anything listed about it.

The Coin dealer newsletter is now owned by John Feigenbaum. Congratulations! Sorry for the untimely death of the previous publisher, Shane Downey.
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    But will it ever become relevant again?
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to John for acquiring the business. Wishing him all the best with it.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly,

No offense to dlrc, but it needs seriously reworking. If DLRC uses unbiased accurate reporting then it should be useable again. However if they use to benefit themselves or other select dealers pricing structure, then forget it.

these suedo keys need some serious adjustments down. early type copper, seated, and draped bust stuff needs adjusting the other way , look at auction records. Who the heck can buy an 1822 Capped bust dime at sheet or even close?

get rid of all that modern sac $ state quarter rolls and non useful pricing. Lots of lower price dates need to be grouped like it was 30 years ago.

I could go on and on

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be a reporting procedure if a dealer or collector find prices that are out of line?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Thanks Rick! Yes, I am the new (part) owner. As part of undertaking this new role as publisher, I am stepping aside at DLRC and John Brush is taking over the helm as President, so I can commit myself completely to CDN.

The pricing will be unbiased and I am really excited about correcting the values and improving accuracy in a lot of areas. There's no question that CDN could be more accurate, and we will focus on that.

Right now my team and I are focused on company logistics and the physical move, but you can already see pricing adjustments we have started to make. I will make a formal announcement in a couple weeks, and thanks for your support. In the meantime, all input is welcome, via email please. (john@greysheet.com)

Thanks!

John

p.s. note I will no longer be posting here under this username (for obvious reasons)
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    Wow! Seems like you are taking this unbiased thing very seriously.

get rid of all that modern sac $ state quarter rolls and non useful pricing. Lots of lower price dates need to be grouped like it was 30 years ago.

This information is useful for dealers. That is the main audience for the grey sheet, or at least it should be.

The coin market has changed from a primarily bid-based price reporting system to an auction price system. The widespread use of eBay, Heritage, GC and SB for pricing data has changed that. This is a detriment to collectors, as it will means some coins values will drop if a group of overgraded coins get sold at auction.

If dealer bids are taken into account, the the market might have a chance at survival.

For instance the amount of overgraded 1877 Indian cents in AU are about 50% of the entire certified population and about 90% of the examples seen in auction. If I am willing to pay more for a properly graded coin, and I publish a bid, then it should be "THE" market price and the overgraded coins can sell at a discount with no harm to the market.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Yes, I am the new (part) owner"

John: Congratulations. May I ask who the other (part) owners are?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations and best of luck.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    I noticed the large round of adjustments on early Walker Halves last week, both up and down.

It will be interesting to see in the upcoming weeks and months.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    Rick,

Honestly I don't know of a single dealer dealing in rolls of state quarters any longer, nor sac rolls, pres $ , etc > if it is being used, then maybe better to place in the quarterly guide or something a little less frequent than every week and save the weekly for more important issues. Proof sets could be moved to monthly with out an issue IMO

And I agree with you wholeheartly on overgraded / problem issues in regular holders bringing down the price on true nicer quality / accurately grade dates. that will be a difficult task weeding those inaccurate prices out of the computations

IN FACT , MY LAST TRIP TO BALTIMORE I HAD ABOUT 20 K WORTH OF COINS THAT A CUSTOMER OF MINE GAVE ME TO SELL FOR HIM, MOST WERE OF NICER QUALITY, A FEW EXCEPTIONS , BUT THE BIGGEST HURDLE I HAD TO OVERCOME WERE DEALERS USING AUCTION RESULTS OVER THE PAST 6 MONTHS TO JUSTIFY BUYING AT X PRICE TODAY EVEN IF MY COIN WAS SOLID AND HIGHER END AND THE AUCTION RESULTS WERE MARGINAL OR LOW END

to save printing space as I mentioned previously many sections can be grouped in individual series such mercury dimes , about a dozen or so examples in g-vf all list for same thing, so list the dates that are different and all others group.

several other series are the same wash quarters, franklins, etc If you ever look back at a greysheet from the 80's you will see this
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally buy the online version a few times a year. I'll wait about 2 months then get a copy. By then I'd hope that maybe 75% or more of the bid prices will be accurate enough to depend on.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND a posting when everything has been reviewed. A fresh start would make the publication valued again.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations to JB on his promotion at DLRC!!!

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waiting for the promotion for free readers with a new subscription. Say +3.25 . Or maybe a magnifying glass ?
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Waiting for the promotion for free readers with a new subscription. Say +3.25 . Or maybe a magnifying glass ? >>

image I love the irony ... print for young eyes in a hobby dominated by old eyes.

Edited to add ... Congratulations, John!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think many of the older dealers would like to see a bigger typeface. Lol
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, was unaware this has happened. Congrats and best of luck with your new venture.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For instance the amount of overgraded 1877 Indian cents in AU are about 50% of the entire certified population and about 90% of the examples seen in auction. >>

I looked at Heritage and the last 10 problem free AU 1877's. 5 of them were CAC so I am not sure your 90% comment is correct. I personally trust the opinion of 3 professional graders reaffirmed by CAC.
  • Options

<< <i>I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND a posting when everything has been reviewed. A fresh start would make the publication valued again.
    >>

This is good advice. That said, it is going to be increasingly harder to sell coins for more than they sell for on eBay and the like. Street price has to be factored into the equation in my opinion.
  • Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congratulations to JB on his promotion at DLRC!!! >>

Thanks joebb21! John has been great to work with for what doesn't feel like almost 10 years. He leaves some bid shoes to fill, but we have a great team there and I look forward to the challenge!

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    I looked at Heritage and the last 10 problem free AU 1877's. 5 of them were CAC so I am not sure your 90% comment is correct. I personally trust the opinion of 3 professional graders reaffirmed by CAC.

Trust! Wow. Learn how to grade and you don't need to trust anyone.

Actually looking at the coins is the only way to judge if it is "market acceptable" or overgraded. AU coins without original skin are not really AU. If you are making pricing judgments for dealers to use and agree on, you can't use overgraded coins. I see many CAC coins that I don't agree with.
  • Options

I ask this with the best of intentions and to invite discussion....

If more than half (possibly 2/3) of a particular graded coin are "dogs" for the grade for one reason or another, if the sheet changes to reflect the price a "nice one" is worth, isn't there a very high chance the beginners and even the average collectors will simply end up paying way to much for their (inferior quality) purchases time and time again relying on what they believe is the proper dealer bid/ask pricing on the coin?

Let's even use as an example the coin Laura spoke about recently in one of her reports....

1912-S after 1912-S Liberty Nickel has been selling recently for around $10,000 or so in MS66 grade (down from $30,000 two to three years ago). None of the coins (or virtually none) were all that nice for the grade in the opinion of many experts of this series (not to mention gradeflation having likely kicked in over the past couple years on this coin series). Then, a super high quality example comes to auction and fetches well over $30,000 (and then resells again for even more money shortly thereafter).

So, what should the sheet price be on a coin such as this? If I am a buyer, sight-seen, of this coin at $25,000, should that be the sheet price when the vast majority of the coins presented to me I would pass on and coin after coin fetches $10,000 in the marketplace? Thoughts?

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For instance the amount of overgraded 1877 Indian cents in AU are about 50% of the entire certified population and about 90% of the examples seen in auction. If I am willing to pay more for a properly graded coin, and I publish a bid, then it should be "THE" market price and the overgraded coins can sell at a discount with no harm to the market.
    If you are making pricing judgments for dealers to use and agree on, you can't use overgraded coins. I see many CAC coins that I don't agree with. >>

Rick, you are absolutely the authority on Indian cents.....but I'm just not sure how the rest of the world is going to acknowledge that many CAC and PCGS holdered coins are no longer 'market acceptable', and should sell at a discount to the published prices.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For instance the amount of overgraded 1877 Indian cents in AU are about 50% of the entire certified population and about 90% of the examples seen in auction. If I am willing to pay more for a properly graded coin, and I publish a bid, then it should be "THE" market price and the overgraded coins can sell at a discount with no harm to the market.
    If you are making pricing judgments for dealers to use and agree on, you can't use overgraded coins. I see many CAC coins that I don't agree with. >>

Rick, you are absolutely the authority on Indian cents.....but I'm just not sure how the rest of the world is going to acknowledge that many CAC and PCGS holdered coins are no longer 'market acceptable', and should sell at a discount to the published prices. >>

Shouldn't be other way .. CAC coins more acceptable vs the many more dog coins in PCGS ,NGC
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes John!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I looked at Heritage and the last 10 problem free AU 1877's. 5 of them were CAC so I am not sure your 90% comment is correct. I personally trust the opinion of 3 professional graders reaffirmed by CAC.

Trust! Wow. Learn how to grade and you don't need to trust anyone.

Actually looking at the coins is the only way to judge if it is "market acceptable" or overgraded. AU coins without original skin are not really AU. If you are making pricing judgments for dealers to use and agree on, you can't use overgraded coins. I see many CAC coins that I don't agree with. >>

Couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks, Rick. The fastest way to lose money in this business is to trust people you personally don't know.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shocked to only just now be hearing about Shane. Knew his dad Ron, as do all the 30 year vets, and Allen Harriman before him.

Now-ANA Governor Tom Mulvaney did some major revisions at CW Trends a number of years ago.

As always of deepest philosophical interest, consider the event of the one-year type 1808 QE MS65 ex: Pogue at around $2.5M. How it affects the pricing of the entire range of values from wholesome 55 on up thru second finest (1.5 pts below that).

Or not.

72-CC 25c in XF45 will be tougher. Almost EAC grading

Both these guys are already top notch, respected and well-liked by pros and collectors alike. And both well-versed in "doing the math". Best of luck in their new (ad)ventures . . . . image

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ask this with the best of intentions and to invite discussion....

If more than half (possibly 2/3) of a particular graded coin are "dogs" for the grade for one reason or another, if the sheet changes to reflect the price a "nice one" is worth, isn't there a very high chance the beginners and even the average collectors will simply end up paying way to much for their (inferior quality) purchases time and time again relying on what they believe is the proper dealer bid/ask pricing on the coin?

Let's even use as an example the coin Laura spoke about recently in one of her reports....

1912-S after 1912-S Liberty Nickel has been selling recently for around $10,000 or so in MS66 grade (down from $30,000 two to three years ago). None of the coins (or virtually none) were all that nice for the grade in the opinion of many experts of this series (not to mention gradeflation having likely kicked in over the past couple years on this coin series). Then, a super high quality example comes to auction and fetches well over $30,000 (and then resells again for even more money shortly thereafter).

So, what should the sheet price be on a coin such as this? If I am a buyer, sight-seen, of this coin at $25,000, should that be the sheet price when the vast majority of the coins presented to me I would pass on and coin after coin fetches $10,000 in the marketplace? Thoughts?

Wondercoin. >>

Is $10,000 for PCGS MS66 no CAC?

My bid is $12,500. Sight-seen Coins of this rarity/quality are trackable. And it's understood that some of that grade are not worth "Full Bid". Worth more? If you are a buyer, sight-seen, of that coin in 66+, there is no bid, just a specific buy for an item now off-the-market.

CDN prices are for the highest dependably reportable wholesale bids. Inferences and deductions are sometimes quantified. No publisher would view using his values alone as due diligence, nor should you.

I would pay $12,500 for a 66-A- or 66+B+ with CAC sight-seen. Only one. An inference might be taken that I have other levels for coins I really like. Please stick the coin under my nose and speak clearly while you try to convince me to pay more.

Or are we talking BlueSheet, where my putative SUS bid for a nondescript PCGS 66 might be $6100. There are a lot of unsingularly unattractive 12-S 5c in MS66 out there.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>I see many CAC coins that I don't agree with. >>

Fair enough. Yours is another opinion just like the graders and the CAC folks, at least to yourself. It means nothing to me or in my ability to resell a coin I bought. I'll take PCGS and CAC in that situation any day of the week.

• Options

<< <i>Trust! Wow. Learn how to grade and you don't need to trust anyone. >>

Now this is funny. A quick peek at your new purchases shows every single one in a PCGS or NGC holder. I did see CAC also. Does that mean you can't grade?
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Now this is funny. A quick peek at your new purchases shows every single one in a PCGS or NGC holder. I did see CAC also. Does that mean you can't grade? >>

You do realize that CAC is a copy of Rick's photo seal, only for all coins and not just FE/Indians.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Now this is funny. A quick peek at your new purchases shows every single one in a PCGS or NGC holder. I did see CAC also. Does that mean you can't grade? >>

You do realize that CAC is a copy of Rick's photo seal, only for all coins and not just FE/Indians. >>

Of course I do but when someone makes a statement "Learn how to grade" because of trusting PCGS and CAC, and he buys and sells the same, well..........
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's my opinion CAC's biggest weakness is copper, and it's a FACT Rick Snow is an expert on copper. So you go ahead and trust them, good luck with that.
  • Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

You do realize that CAC is a copy of Rick's photo seal, only for all coins and not just FE/Indians. >>

Of course I do but when someone makes a statement "Learn how to grade" because of trusting PCGS and CAC, and he buys and sells the same, well.......... >>

False statement. I submitted through a dealer a photo sealed 1866 that CAC didn't sticker. Included in the submission was a "fugly (My opinion)" 1879 that got the bean, go figure.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If more than half (possibly 2/3) of a particular graded coin are "dogs" for the grade for one reason or another, if the sheet changes to reflect the price a "nice one" is worth, isn't there a very high chance the beginners and even the average collectors will simply end up paying way to much for their (inferior quality) purchases time and time again relying on what they believe is the proper dealer bid/ask pricing on the coin? >>

There's a good chance that no matter how many TPGs, sticker companies, and price guides there are,
    the "average collector" will often end up paying too much for coins. There really is no substitute for
    in-depth knowledge and experience. IMHO, of course.

EDIT: Of course, having price guides be as accurate as possible is an excellent goal and will quite
    possibly save Joe Sixpack some money when buying coins. I wish Mr. Feigenbaum success in his
    new endeavor.
  • Options

<< <i>Of course I do but when someone makes a statement "Learn how to grade" because of trusting PCGS and CAC, and he buys and sells the same, well.......... >>

You are committing a logical fallacy. A particular PCGS/CAC coin may meet Mr. Snow's standards, and another
    may not. Earlier in the thread you stated that you "trust" PCGS/CAC, implying that anything that falls in that
    category would also meet your standards. From this we can infer that Mr. Snow's standards are stricter than yours.

Just about EVERY major dealer sells strictly PCGS/NGC for reasons of marketability. They may buy raw,
    but will almost certainly have them slabbed.
  • Options
    I have had two 77's in my possession as recently as 3 weeks ago, Both PCGS 64's One has a cac, but would not ps, the other has a ps but would not cac??
  • Options
    repost...

"Yes, I am the new (part) owner"

John: Congratulations. May I ask who the other (part) owners are?

Wondercoin".
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the much-appreciated support. We are working hard over here to reboot the CDN and all your suggestions are being noted! I've already received a lot of emails too. In answer to specific questions, we will make a detailed press release on our Facebook page later this week. Please 'like' the page so you can stay informed as this will be my primary online outlet until we can update the (much needed) web site.

Coin Dealer Newsletter on Facebook

Thanks!

John
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I see many CAC coins that I don't agree with. >>

Fair enough. Yours is another opinion just like the graders and the CAC folks, at least to yourself. It means nothing to me or in my ability to resell a coin I bought. I'll take PCGS and CAC in that situation any day of the week. >>

I'll take Rick's photoseal over a CAC sticker any day for an IHC or a Flyer. Ditto re Tom Reynolds' opinion of a Half or Large Cent over anyone else's.
    These are two people who know what they buy and sell better than anyone else out there.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks everyone for the much-appreciated support. We are working hard over here to reboot the CDN and all your suggestions are being noted! I've already received a lot of emails too. In answer to specific questions, we will make a detailed press release on our Facebook page later this week. Please 'like' the page so you can stay informed as this will be my primary online outlet until we can update the (much needed) web site.

Coin Dealer Newsletter on Facebook

Thanks!

John >>

Good Luck on the new venture, John!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EAC has dealt with 3 levels of condition per grade for many years (scudzy, average, choice), the references need something like this as well. The TPGs employ humans and human opinions vary from coin to coin, minute to minute day to day. There are some nasty looking coins in TPG holders. I have not seen any nasty coins in CAC, but I have seen coins I did not like for the grade. I have not personally seen any PS coins I didn't like for the grade. All we can do is try to push the education levels forward, most of the time that effort will fail, but we still need to try.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to improvements..

I find the format of multiple newsletters to be confusing.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>I find the format of multiple newsletters to be confusing. >>

Do you mean weekly/monthly/quarterly or blue/grey? Personally, I liked the former when I was a subscriber.
  • Options
    The name of the publication is: "The Coin Dealer Newsletter" and is supposed to give an indication of what WHOLESALE prices are. It is not "The Coin Collector Newsletter" and the general coin collecting public should not have access to what wholesale prices are. There are plenty of good publications out there such as the Red Book, Coin Prices, etc. that are give a fairly appoximate indication of what retail prices are.
    Rarely do you see a collector walking around with a Red Book, but the shows are filled with Coin Collectors walking around with a Grey Sheet in their back pocket trying to buy at half of Grey Sheet prices, and sell at double Grey Sheet prices. These are not dealers and do not have a retail Sales Tax Number, do no Sales Tax reporting, refuse to pay Sales Tax on their purchases, have to pay all the expenses of having a shop, buying a bourse table, travel expenses, insurance, salaries, etc. , and put their lives on the line everday just to stay in business. So why should they have access to wholesale information when they haven't paid their dues to be in business.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But will it ever become relevant again? >>

Go to a small show or most B&M's and you will se that it is still very relevant. Participants of the forum can get a very inaccurate view of the whole coin market. There is a world out there that does not deal in thousand dollar coins or care much about slabs.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The name of the publication is: "The Coin Dealer Newsletter" and is supposed to give an indication of what WHOLESALE prices are. It is not "The Coin Collector Newsletter" and the general coin collecting public should not have access to what wholesale prices are. There are plenty of good publications out there such as the Red Book, Coin Prices, etc. that are give a fairly appoximate indication of what retail prices are.
    Rarely do you see a collector walking around with a Red Book, but the shows are filled with Coin Collectors walking around with a Grey Sheet in their back pocket trying to buy at half of Grey Sheet prices, and sell at double Grey Sheet prices. These are not dealers and do not have a retail Sales Tax Number, do no Sales Tax reporting, refuse to pay Sales Tax on their purchases, have to pay all the expenses of having a shop, buying a bourse table, travel expenses, insurance, salaries, etc. , and put their lives on the line everday just to stay in business. So why should they have access to wholesale information when they haven't paid their dues to be in business. >>

Every profession becomes more and more demystified every day. Don't like your plumber? You can pull up thousands of how-to videos on YouTube. A generation ago you did what your doctor said and didn't question it. Today you can look up every medication, test, and treatment from A-Z.

It's a free country - you are free to start a wholesale pricing product that you sell only to those who are established dealers. If there is a truly a market need for that, you may do quite well.
  • Options
    MCADSPECMCADSPEC Posts: 72 ✭✭

<< <i>The name of the publication is: "The Coin Dealer Newsletter" and is supposed to give an indication of what WHOLESALE prices are. It is not "The Coin Collector Newsletter" and the general coin collecting public should not have access to what wholesale prices are. There are plenty of good publications out there such as the Red Book, Coin Prices, etc. that are give a fairly appoximate indication of what retail prices are.
    Rarely do you see a collector walking around with a Red Book, but the shows are filled with Coin Collectors walking around with a Grey Sheet in their back pocket trying to buy at half of Grey Sheet prices, and sell at double Grey Sheet prices. These are not dealers and do not have a retail Sales Tax Number, do no Sales Tax reporting, refuse to pay Sales Tax on their purchases, have to pay all the expenses of having a shop, buying a bourse table, travel expenses, insurance, salaries, etc. , and put their lives on the line everday just to stay in business. So why should they have access to wholesale information when they haven't paid their dues to be in business. >>

I believe your statement that "The Coin Dealer Newsletter is suppose to give an indication of what wholesale prices are" is as you state only an idication. On the other hand I don't think it is any more an indication of wholesale prices than Coin Prices, Red Book etc. are of retail prices. If dealers paid Newsletter bid for all coins, I could see why you would be protective of the pricing. When dealers pay from 10 back to 50 back of bid, a customer has no idea of your wholesale price. What it does though, is give a customer an indication of what is a fair deal and what gives the appearance of a deal that might no be as appealing.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

lol, best read all day

Since you are out to save the hobby lets not have any dealers bid at Heritage, stacks, legend and the like. No need to pile more money on top of the final retail selling prices.

There should be dealer only auctions like they have for cars where the general public does not get to play.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CDN has been doing a fairly good job, but I suspect, it's about to get much better.

Good luck.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This space was disrupted a long time ago with the advent of the internet and CDN is way behind the times in many aspects. Simply making the pricing mechanism on par with the current market just takes it to partity and makes it relevant for the sight unseen market.

A guiding principle for successful innovation is that if you aren't the first move you have to bring a better product than currently exists on the market or a differentiated one. I'm curious what the CDN is aspiring to become, relevant or innovative?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file