Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Back from Baltimore...

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
Went specifically to do some business with Stacks. Walked around quickly looking more at the dealer placards to find a few folks. Seemed actually to be half dealers with lanyards and half floor customers. Many dealers sitting back already on snooze mode. I dunno. We went today because tomorrow's weather looks bad.

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And.............?

Did you buy/sell/see anything?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I'd known you were there ambro. I went too. Lunch would have been on me. We could have talked about being contrarian collectors and appreciating all kinds of coins. Seriously.
  • Options
    Consigned several pieces to Stacks Americana January. They're sending the three cent Feuchtwangers to PCGS for grading and Pedigree. Tony Terranova had the ex. Picker Ryder30 there, with the FULL backwards C.... In a 2x2 envelope, raw, $115,000. Yup
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In a 2x2 envelope, raw, $115,000. Yup >>

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Double image
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Double image >>

Sweet.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    CAC sticker on the envelope?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Consigned several pieces to Stacks Americana January. They're sending the three cent Feuchtwangers to PCGS for grading and Pedigree. Tony Terranova had the ex. Picker Ryder30 there, with the FULL backwards C.... In a 2x2 envelope, raw, $115,000. Yup >>

Nope. Roper, not Picker.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Ambro--those three cent feuchtwangers of yours are some beautiful coins....or tokens...actually, what do we call them?

Tom

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Consigned several pieces to Stacks Americana January. They're sending the three cent Feuchtwangers to PCGS for grading and Pedigree. Tony Terranova had the ex. Picker Ryder30 there, with the FULL backwards C.... In a 2x2 envelope, raw, $115,000. Yup >>

id like to see that one day. just saying image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be the shortest show report ever posted....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Short and sweet. Like a girl I once knew...

WTF would you have a $115k coin raw in a 2x2?!?! Why not have it graded at the show while you wait? Nobody is going to buy it raw, and no auction house will list it raw.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    .......ah Grasshopper I can see you are unfamiliar with the Workd of very old Copper image
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there Friday also. Many of the dealers were packing out at noon to get back to their families for Halloween. Very bad timing for a major show on Whitman's part, in my opinion.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    WORST FALL BALTIMORE SHOW EVER!!!!!

Dealer inattentiveness followed by dealer obvious boredom for being there (Friday at 11 AM)....followed by some of the crappiest coins I've ever seen from all but the very best of dealers.

I usually stay 6-7 hours. I was out in 2 and I'd already walked the entire floor twice.

Overheard a dealer saying to another one that "the show stunk." He, and they, should have brought more quality coins and a better attitude to entice customers to their tables and make sales.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was there Friday also. Many of the dealers were packing out at noon to get back to their families for Halloween. Very bad timing for a major show on Whitman's part, in my opinion.

'dude >>

That is why I skipped this show. It is the first Baltimore show I have missed in many years. There are just too many things going on the neighborhood at Halloween to miss them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was there Friday also. Many of the dealers were packing out at noon to get back to their families for Halloween. Very bad timing for a major show on Whitman's part, in my opinion.

'dude >>

Dealers don't leave a successful show for Halloween even if they're the head of the coven.

<< <i>WORST FALL BALTIMORE SHOW EVER!!!!! >>

^ This. I spoke to no one that was having even a 'good' show let alone a great one. My worst Balt with sales half of my previous worst Balt show. However, in Whitman's defense, according to a couple of dealers on the circuit, shows have been bad since at least Labor Day.

A few random thoughts - because that's the way I think:
    My floor walker didn't even bother to attend.
    A major big time dealer was not buying.
    Attendance looked decent. There were tons of tire kickers. Few asked for prices. None made counter offers.
    My best retail day was Saturday, and then only in the afternoon. An oddity in and of itself.

What to make of this? I dunno, but it's scary, and depressing.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WORST FALL BALTIMORE SHOW EVER!!!!!

Dealer inattentiveness followed by dealer obvious boredom for being there (Friday at 11 AM)....followed by some of the crappiest coins I've ever seen from all but the very best of dealers.

I usually stay 6-7 hours. I was out in 2 and I'd already walked the entire floor twice.

Overheard a dealer saying to another one that "the show stunk." He, and they, should have brought more quality coins and a better attitude to entice customers to their tables and make sales. >>

Thursday wasn't any better.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A show is what you make of it..... complain all you want...we stayed set up til 4pm on Sat and did business until late afternoon.... I had many sales of three cent silvers and actually overall had a pretty decent show.... no it wasnt gangbusters and I worked harder to make deals happen, but I have to say there were a lot of hidden gems and I actually had more time to talk to various people that I normally would not have been able to...
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WTF would you have a $115k coin raw in a 2x2?!?! Why not have it graded at the show while you wait? Nobody is going to buy it raw, and no auction house will list it raw. >>

Actually, the majority of high end Vermont collections are raw.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say Thursday was the absolute worst Thursday I have ever witnessed in my 15+ years at Baltimore. Friday was running a close 2nd. Saturday happened in around a 2-3 hour spurt and made it all worth while! Our hosts here were tough as nails! image
  • Options
    I had a great show...of course I was only there to buy. Founds lots and lots of cool coins. Bust, Seated, etc. Even a few cool colonials. An XF detail 1809 dime (quickly flipped) with a few issues as an example of neat coins. Even a few keepers for my own set. Would have loved to have more time, but had to leave on Sat at noon. There was a large dealer or two that sold off a lot of inventory to a wholesaler, and I got some great deals from him.

A lot of dealers did say retail was light, though.

merse

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WTF would you have a $115k coin raw in a 2x2?!?! Why not have it graded at the show while you wait? Nobody is going to buy it raw, and no auction house will list it raw. >>

Some coins speak for themselves, they don't need a plastic case to speak for them.

I have no problem with an expensive raw coin, provided it is being sold by a reputable dealer and has a traceable provenance.

The biggest worry I would have is that I'm a klutz and I might drop and damage it. I typically put my raw coins in air-tites
  • Options
    I find the negative observations about this show to be surprisingly strong. I attended the show all day Thursday so I could get back to the office on Friday and be home for Halloween and family but I/we thought the show was quite good.

JB and Jason arrived for pre-show business on Wednesday, which was as active (and possible as strong) as any coin show all year. The dealers who came early were eager to do two-way business. Maybe they were hoping to leave early as well.

Thursday our table was non-stop with folks coming to buy, sell, trade, chat -- never a dull moment -- and I did see a lot of folks walking the floor. I can't comment first-hand on Friday and Saturday as I was not there but tells me it was similar to most Fall Baltimore shows in terms of activity and attendance. The show wasn't our best ever but it was very solid and we did a lot of business, as we always do in Baltimore.

The fact is that shows are constantly evolving, and this evolution is most affected by growth of online activity. As more and more of the rare coin "commerce" goes online, shows suffer. Years ago, we made a strategic decision at DLRC to treat coin shows as wholesale trading events, with an opportunity to meet and chat with clients. We do not take a large inventory of coins to shows because it's too hard (risky) to travel this way and many serious buyers are happy to buy online.

It was unfortunate that this particular show was held during the Halloween weekend. A lot of us with kids feel a strong desire to be home for them and I don't care how big the coin show is... you only get one go-round with your kids!

John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... you only get one go-round with your kids! >>

More important than any coin or coin show
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I find the negative observations about this show to be surprisingly strong. I attended the show all day Thursday so I could get back to the office on Friday and be home for Halloween and family but I/we thought the show was quite good.

JB and Jason arrived for pre-show business on Wednesday, which was as active (and possible as strong) as any coin show all year. The dealers who came early were eager to do two-way business. Maybe they were hoping to leave early as well.

Thursday our table was non-stop with folks coming to buy, sell, trade, chat -- never a dull moment -- and I did see a lot of folks walking the floor. I can't comment first-hand on Friday and Saturday as I was not there but tells me it was similar to most Fall Baltimore shows in terms of activity and attendance. The show wasn't our best ever but it was very solid and we did a lot of business, as we always do in Baltimore.

The fact is that shows are constantly evolving, and this evolution is most affected by growth of online activity. As more and more of the rare coin "commerce" goes online, shows suffer. Years ago, we made a strategic decision at DLRC to treat coin shows as wholesale trading events, with an opportunity to meet and chat with clients. We do not take a large inventory of coins to shows because it's too hard (risky) to travel this way and many serious buyers are happy to buy online.

It was unfortunate that this particular show was held during the Halloween weekend. A lot of us with kids feel a strong desire to be home for them and I don't care how big the coin show is... you only get one go-round with your kids! >>

I agree with this. Wasn't our best Baltimore show ever, but it certainly was active. We did plenty of retail and wholesale and our table was generally very active.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We were constantly busy from opening Thursday until we left late on Saturday. We sold a lot more than we expected, and we bought some great coins too. And this happened on every day of the show. We were quite happy with our results from the Baltimore show.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there Saturday 1000-1235P and noticed that there were more and more people coming in - only to be met with more and more empty tables and dealers. Many just turned around after a brief scout and were gone.

Also noted the usual bullion suspects had a lot less on sale and wonder if some were "caught out" by the recent drops in silver and gold prices.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I find the negative observations about this show to be surprisingly strong. I attended the show all day Thursday so I could get back to the office on Friday and be home for Halloween and family but I/we thought the show was quite good.

It was unfortunate that this particular show was held during the Halloween weekend. A lot of us with kids feel a strong desire to be home for them and I don't care how big the coin show is... you only get one go-round with your kids! >>

Real quality coins were sorely missing from 95 plus percent of all dealers, IMO.

I agree with this. Wasn't our best Baltimore show ever, but it certainly was active. We did plenty of retail and wholesale and our table was generally very active. >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file