Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just saw the "new" PCGS holder.....

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
on teletrade, I guess. Three huge prongs.......looks really stupid!!!! Hope you can still get the regular holder!!!

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Just received two submissions today with those new "holders". They look a bit different at first but overall I consider them an improvement.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

Pics or a Link Please
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Let's start a petition... ONE holder; ONE insert!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    So it is really not a new holder just a new gasket with prongs for the edge viewing pleasure?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>on teletrade, I guess. Three huge prongs.......looks really stupid!!!! Hope you can still get the regular holder!!! >>

A link or auction number and item would be helpful.

Does it look like the Presidential Dollar Insert?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hadn't they been using prong style holders for a while now, at least on some coins? I ask because some UHR pieces were in prong holders a number of months ago, if I recall correctly.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

STUPID is what it is. I won't be submitting any coins until they change it back or let you choose between the old and new!!!

I can't believe it!!!!image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hadn't they been using prong style holders for a while now, at least on some coins? I ask because some UHR pieces were in prong holders a number of months ago, if I recall correctly. >>

They used the for some edge view coins, also in Paris.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems that it will be more difficult to check the coins at a glance in the blue boxes.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Here's the "new' holder at Heritage in February of 2008.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems that it will be more difficult to check the coins at a glance in the blue boxes. >>

Presidential dollars often come with special labels, which is why the details are on the reverse side.

<< <i>
    STUPID is what it is. I won't be submitting any coins until they change it back or let you choose between the old and new!!!

I can't believe it!!!! >>

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edgeview holders seem to be the way the world is going. People like seeing the 3rd side!

Additionally, they are nice from a TPG validation perspective because the prongs show up in in-slab photos. This way you can just look at a photo and tell if it's in a top TPG slab and which TPG slabbed it.

I will say I feel the PCGS holders are generally nicer than the ones from ATS due the the translucent (vs. white) ring.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    PCGS clear looks better than NGC white.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Products evolve and change is a fact of life. I cannot believe people get so hung up on the idea of change and can't fathom anything but the "good 'ol days". If people stop submitting because of a new holder then coin grades do not mean much to them.

I've seen the new inserts on non-modern coins and I believe they are an improvement over the current product.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I imagine that holder is only getting used for coins with edge detail. Just write a note at the bottom of the form requesting that the 3 prong edge view holder NOT be used. I would imagine they would do that for you. Call to confirm first obviously. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    >>>I cannot believe people get so hung up on the idea of change and can't fathom anything but the "good 'ol days". If people stop submitting because of a new holder then coin grades do not mean much to them. <<<

I don't have anything against change for the better, but I have always believed in "If it's not broke don't fix it".
  • Options
    Does anybody know if this new holder is optional or if all coins will come back in them now???
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    The details are at the bottom???

I have boxes of coins from PCGS with the grades and details at the top. Now my new coins will be "upside down?"
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually think I like it. I might have a different opinion if I see it in hand, but it looks pretty good.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anybody know if this new holder is optional or if all coins will come back in them now??? >>

PCGS has made no announcement to indicate such a thing. These holders have been around for a couple of years now and you have not received one yet...so it is my guess that you are not submitting special edge/error detail coins. Here again, call them and write a note at the bottom of the form and you should be just fine.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The details are at the bottom???

I have boxes of coins from PCGS with the grades and details at the top. Now my new coins will be "upside down?" >>

Only for the Presidential Dollars which get slabbed in all sorts of different ways.

image .. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

I will definitely call before I send any coins in!
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can understand not wanting pronged gaskets for small coins such as dimes....
    But imagine how many collectors there are out there who don't even realise that Early Dollars have lettering on the edges ?
    It's a seriously important detail IMO that collectors seem strangely content to do without .
    Not to mention mushy gaskets that in some cases are squished so far down the sides of the coin that the dentils get covered.
    I'm not so into that.
    Bring on the prongs !
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will definitely call before I send any coins in! >>

image I'm sorry, but you being so mad about this makes me laugh.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    To me it makes every coin look like it has the radioactive sign as the backdrop...

Money, if it does not bring you happiness, will at least help you be miserable in comfort.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I am all for it for any coin that has edge lettering. Other than that I would rather not have it.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen one in hand but from the pics I like it. I like being able to see the edge. And the clear prongs are less distracting than the white ones.

But I wish they would have made the prongs narrower and cover less of the coin.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Amazing....just freakin' amazing...another tempest in a teapot... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont like em
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posed the question to the operations manager through customer service by telephone over a month ago, and was promised an answer:

Will PCGS resurrect the edgeview holder for larger diameter U.S. coins? This was relevant to my dislike of the standard holder in which I have several Morgan's encapsulated, which have edge features related to their designation as Mint Errors (Partial Collar/Railroad Rim). I now have several of these in varying PCGS grades, for which I paid $50 each for the Mint Error designation,
    yet the feature is obscured!

I'm still waiting for a response. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Bossman88Bossman88 Posts: 638 ✭✭
    I like the new holder.
    Less chance of hidden rim dings.

Regards, Larryimage
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I sent in a gaggle of coins recently, most seated and bust quarters a couple of large cents...but I did include a single Pres. Dollar. The dollar was the only one to come back with this type of holder, even though the large cents have a "third side."
  • Options
    3sidesofsilver3sidesofsilver Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    "People like seeing the 3rd side!"
    Did someone say they like seeing my 3rd side? Believe me, you really don't want to see that side...image
    --Craig
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know how anybody says they are new I have a George Washingington Missing edge lettering coin in one of those holders and it came out in 2007.
    Been waiting on them to start using that prong insert before I send any more coins in.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I like this and the ngc pronged holders
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I hope the 4 I just sent in come back with pronged holders. I like being able to see the whole coin. My UHR is in a pronged holder which I really enjoy.
    "When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell
  • Options
    I, too, favor the pronged holders. I'd like to be able to read the rims of my Saint Gardens $10s and $20s.

Furthermore, I retract previous complaints from about a year and a half ago about the NGC prong holders and smaller coins. Indeed, the smaller coins need the pronged holders the most, because the big white field tends to make seeing near the rim of the obverse and reverse of the coin difficult. This is a bigger issue with smaller coins. Thankfully, PCGS holders don't have that problem, though I still welcome being able to see reeds, allowing the coin to be appreciated in three dimensions as a coin.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    At least they are clear so you can't hide huge rim dings on large BN copper?
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I received a package of freshly graded Secure Plus Capped Bust Half Dollars yesterday, all with the regular holders. Capped Bust Half Dollars all have edge lettering. Guess they are not big enough to warrant the prong holders, or maybe Secure Plus does not use the prong holders.

From the pictures, the prong holders look strange, not really to my liking. In hand, they might look much better.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

I emailed Peter Smith at PCGS and he replied that the prong gasket is used only on coins with edge lettering. But WTCG PM'ed me that he got the following coins back in the prong holders. Classic silver commens (GW Carvers, CA Jubilees, Bay Bridge) and foreign (Chinese, India) coins. These coins do not have edge lettering as far as I know.

I guess I will send some in and see. If they put them in the prong......they will go RIGHT back.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I emailed Peter Smith at PCGS and he replied that the prong gasket is used only on coins with edge lettering. But WTCG PM'ed me that he got the following coins back in the prong holders. Classic silver commens (GW Carvers, CA Jubilees, Bay Bridge) and foreign (Chinese, India) coins. These coins do not have edge lettering as far as I know.

I guess I will send some in and see. If they put them in the prong......they will go RIGHT back. >>

Do Bust Dimes have edge lettering? I've got several of those at PCGS right now!!!

• Options

>>>Do Bust Dimes have edge lettering? I've got several of those at PCGS right now!!!<<<

Not to my knowledge!!!imageimage
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh. No biggie.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a 50-coin order that just shipped from PCGS today (should get it tomorrow)... now I'm wondering what sort of holders it will be... not sure which I'd rather have either until I'm able to see these in hand.

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    It was about time PCGS introduced these...Not being able to view the edge is a major disadvantage of third-party grading, IMHO.

Dennis
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I got a bunch of world coins in the mail today. All of the small denomination pieces were in these pronged holders, while the dollar sized coins were in regular holders. None of the world coins had edge lettering.
  • Options
    Ah settle down everyone! i remember disliking the NGC prong holders initially but now I think they have the best holder in the business. Cant believe PCGS took so long. Also just think! Now all your old blue holders (OBH) will be worth more. image
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I have 2 original proof sets there now a 1938 and 1939 that have been in a safe deposit box since 1980!

I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭
    I for one will welcome the new gasket. I'm pretty tired of getting coins back that look like this. I find this to be quite a pain to have to write a Service Rep and send them back to be reholdered. This happens more than I care to talk about! I think the new gasket will eliminate this problem. I will also appreciate seeing the rim! You will get a better all around look and feel for the coin. I'm now concerned about the cost of converting my main coins to the new gasket/holder!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file