Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RIP Silvereagle92

Chad Williford aka silvereagle92 passed away at the end of April. He was a prolific poster and contributor here on the boards. Thought some of his friends would like to know. Treasure your fleeting moments here on earth as you just never know.
http://www.apexfuneral.com/index.cfmimage

My apologies for getting his posting name incorrect. Thanks to Paul for straightening me out.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Very sad to hear image

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG Chad is member SilverEagles92 who was the big prize winner in my YN Essay Contest, I'm beyond words! image

Chadler "Chad" Alan Williford, 17, of Holly Springs passed away April 30, 2010 after a brief illness. Chad was born December 4, 1992 in Greensboro, NC to Allen and Cameron Williford. He currently was a junior at Enloe H.S. in Raleigh where he was an honor student. Chad had a great sense of humor and like most teenagers was interested in computers and video games but his great passion was in coin collecting.

In addition to his parents Chad is survived by his sister Ryan Williford; his grandparents Joe and Elaine Williford, John and Susan Bullock and Lanny and Sandra Wofford; great grandparents James and Dot Kivett, Claude and Jean Harrison and Jennie Williford; aunts and uncles Jeff and Jodi Traen, Jon and Renae Williford and Stephen Wofford; and cousins Jordan Traen, Nick Wofford, Andrew Williford, Noah Williford, Matthew Traen and Chloe Williford.

A memorial service celebrating Chad’s life will be held Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at 4:00 pm at Apex Funeral Home, 550 W. Williams St (Hwy 55), Apex NC. The family will receive friends prior to the service from 3:00 until 4:00 pm.

In lieu of flowers the family request that memorials be made to either Duke Children’s Hospital or DUMC Transplant Services at Office of Development, 512 S. Mangum St. Suite 400, Durham, NC 27701-3975, (919) 667-2575 or www.gifts2duke@duke.edu.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is truly sad.....Thanks for letting the board know.

Best wishes to his family.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    That's awful. My condolences to his family. =(

-Paul
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is just horrible, horrible news.......image

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad. I used to talk bust halves with him quite often. Was always great to work with
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    I'm stunned. My most heartfelt condolences to his family.

It's not often we lose a 17 year old YN.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's terrible news, my prayers are with his family and loved ones.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684
    I'm saddened to hear about this. My condolences to his family.

Ben
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tragic.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Silvereagle92 resided in Cary, NC

Can someone please confirm that Cary is close to the other cities mentioned... as I'm too shuck up to find Cary on any goggle map.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bummer, sorry to hear that and best wishes to his family as well.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    This is very sad. In some limited dealings with Chad, I found him to be very polite and pleasant young man, and a passionate collector.

He will be missed.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    A very young guy, wasn't he?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Silvereagle92 resided in Cary, NC

Can someone please confirm that Cary is close to the other cities mentioned... as I'm too shuck up to find Cary on any goggle map. >>

Look to be about 6 miles apart. Both are just outside Raleigh....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>A very young guy, wasn't he? >>

I think 16.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to lose such a good poster, and tragic for the family to deal with the loss of one so youngimage
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers to the family.
  • Options
    His last post was in March. What ever illness he had must have been quite aggressive. Shocking. image
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone please confirm that Cary is close to the other cities mentioned... as I'm too shuck up to find Cary on any goggle map. >>

The HS is across town, about 14 or 15 miles away.

Although we lived in one area and my kid's public school was a little over 20 miles awayand we're in a very suburban and non-rural area, too. (we've recently moved closer)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

This is terrible news.image Are we sure it's the same guy? I sure hope we're wrong here...
  • Options
    I was hoping to find something on the school's site but I couldn't.

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is terrible news.image Are we sure it's the same guy? I sure hope we're wrong here... >>

Using the proprietery information from prior business transactions that's definitely the correct information and the correct Chad.

Chad was a pleasure to deal with and his presence will be missed.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow,

I didn't know him, but very sad indeed for a family to lose a young man so suddenly.
    My condolences to his family.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW !!! image Very sad... What exactly happened to Chad ??? image
  • Options

<< <i>

Look to be about 6 miles apart. Both are just outside Raleigh.... >>

Thanks blu62vette as I was hoping it wasn't him, as this hit harder then any of the loss threads.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is terrible news. Didn't even have a chance to live life.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Error in info - deleted

• Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    What tragic news this is. I have a little guy at home that deals with lots of health issues so this hits especially close to home. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with his family and friends during this very difficult time.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options

Yeah, I had the Mrs. double-check the info just to be sure, and it looks true enough. This is a tragedy I can't even start to grasp right now.image

My condolences to his family.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    So sad image
  • Options

<< <i>From what I found, it was a car accident:

Chad's Obit >>

I believe that is a different Chad. That happened almost a year ago.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

Chad's Obit >>

The article you linked was from June of 2009.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

Chad's Obit >>

The article you linked was from June of 2009.

-Paul >>

Deleted - my error - sorry!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is unbelievable. I had shared scores upon scores of private messages with Chad and he was a very good person who was learning so much in life.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences go out to the family & friends of Chad Williford. A very kool guy to deal with on the BST. He will be missed... image
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    A great forum member...my prayers are with his family.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's terrible news. image

So sorry to hear.
  • Options
    LINK

Chadler Alan Williford, 17, of Holly Springs passed away April 30, 2010 after a brief illness.

Chad was born December 4, 1992 in Greensboro, NC to Allen and Cameron Williford. He currently was a junior at Enloe H.S. in Raleigh where he was an honor student. Chad had a great sense of humor and like most teenagers was interested in computers and video games but his great passion was in coin collecting.

In addition to his parents Chad is survived by his sister, Ryan Williford; his maternal grandparents, John and Susan Bullock; paternal grandparents, Joe and Elaine Williford; five great grandparents; five aunts and uncles and six cousins.

A memorial service celebrating Chads life will be held Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at 4:00 pm at Apex Funeral Home, 550 W. Williams St, Hwy 55, Apex NC.

The family will receive friends prior to the service from 3:00 until 4:00 pm.

In lieu of flowers the family request that memorials be made to either Duke Childrens Hospital or DUMC Transplant Services at Office of Development, 512 S. Mangum St. Suite 400, Durham, NC 27701-3975, (919) 667-2575 or www.gifts2duke@duke.edu

Online condolences may be made at www.apexfuneral.com

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/05/02/463672/chadler-alan-williford.html#ixzz0njmqkBMR
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

Rest in Peace Chad.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    This is horrible news. What a horrible shame, 17 years old too image

RIP and godspeed Chad
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Very sad news. Chad, although being one of the youngest members here, always conducted himself with class and integrity. Does anyone know the specific illness that cut his life so short?
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is TERRIBLE news, I have shared countless PM's with Chad and even sold him one of my CBH's.

He will be missed greatly.

RIP Chad.

My condolences to his family. image
  • Options
    Here's Chad's Essay which he wrote when he was 15...

I was drawn to numismatics at the tender age of eight. My great-grandfather had quite an accumulation of coins - a hoard of sorts. His accumulation included several thousand wheat cents, a few hundred Buffalo nickels, loads of 90% silver, and even the occasional gold coin. When I was 8, I received a small orange button silk pouch with a few of the wheat cents in it. That day, I decided that I was going to go around the neighborhood (it was a tight knit community) and ask the older folks for cents, to try to make $1.00 (a small fortune to an 8-year-old).

I finally met my goal, after about an hour, when the late Melvin Johnson, who lived about a block away from my great-grandparents, reached his tobacco-stained hands into his denim jeans, and pulled out the last 3 cents that I needed.

I was bitten. The bug had attacked me, and knocked me over. I kept those wheat cents, and the silk pouch, in a little green lock box that I had; along with about 25 shark's teeth, a Mickey Mouse watch, and 3 one-dollar bills. I hid the box under my bed, and kept those wheat cents safe.

About 6 months later, my family and I were browsing a local flea market, as we often did on weekends, and we decided to go 'inside.' This flea market has an outside portion for sellers with various wares - tennis shoes, yard sale junk, and the like. Then, it has an indoors portion for arts and crafts, antiques, paintings, you know - the more 'expensive' stuff. We had never ventured indoors at the flea market before, so we decided to go inside, completely on a whim. Right inside the door is a coin shop! It's pretty small, only 4 or 5 display cases, and one big vault in the back of the room. It's a husband and wife team, Neil and Christine, and they run the place.

Anyways, we ventured indoors, and at the shop my eyes quickly wandered. I felt myself drawn to a case of bright shiny new cents. But something was wrong with these cents - they were all, well, wrong! There was a velvet pad of probably 50 or more off-center cents. Christine saw me drooling over the coins, so she pulled out the pad, put on some cotton gloves, and gave me a lesson on how these things happen. She showed me basically what to look for - she wanted me to pick out a coin with a readable date, not too many marks, etc. I picked out a coin, and she put it in a flip for me and just handed it to me. I was in shock. Not only do I get to see these magnificent pieces (remember, I was only 8 years old) I get to take one home? No way! So, I stuck the error in my pocket, and we went home. Guess where I put the cent? That's right, in my green lock box, next to my 3 wheat cents, silk pouch, 25 or so shark's teeth, Mickey Mouse watch, and 3 one-dollar bills.

If that wasn't enough to get me into collecting, a while after that, the "tooth fairy" left me an ike dollar, and a 1992 Kennedy Half under my pillow one night. I just couldn't get enough.

In the beginning, I started like most of us did. I would collect coins out of pocket change, out of those change jars. I received 4 or 5 blue Whitman albums one Christmas from my maternal grandmother. She and her husband also had a small box of coins, all in paper envelopes. There were maybe 300 silver Roosevelt dimes, a handful of Mercury dimes, some silver Washington quarters. It turns out that my grandfather had collected these when he was a teenager, from his summer job tending to vending machines. He would remove the till from the machine and sort through the coins. He would pull out any silver coins he found, and replace them with their clad counterparts. So, together we sorted through his box of coins, and filled holes in those Whitman albums. I would read him the date and mintmark, and he would try and put the coin in the album. We all know how those blue Whitman albums are - you have to have a PhD to know how to get the coins in there correctly!

I have had several stages in my collecting, like most of you. I've had a World Coin stage, a currency stage, a Dansco stage (I owned upwards of 20 almost complete Dansco albums at one time), and many more. The stage I remember most vividly, and the one that influences my collecting habits most today, was probably my Morgan Dollar stage. My aim was to complete a Morgan Dollar date set, which I eventually did. It forced me to learn how to grade coins, how to spot cleaned/altered coins, and to really research what I was buying. I focused on circulated original coins, instead of shiny cleaned junk. It took a strong discipline, especially when that $20 that I got from mowing the lawn was burning a hole in my pocket. But I did it, and the sense of accomplishment I felt was very rewarding.

I purchased my first graded coin in January of 2006. The coin was a NGC-graded 2005 Kennedy Half Dollar PF69UCAM. I won it for the exorbitant amount of $0.99 on eBay. Until then, I was under the impression that I could not own a slabbed coin for less than $50. I had watched Coin Vault a lot, and thought that since they claimed it cost $50 to get a coin graded, it would make no sense to sell one for less. So, I eagerly awaited its arrival. Upon receiving the coin, I decided to do more research on the NGC product. I visited their website, and found out about the Collector's Society, and their message boards. I lurked for a while, and finally joined. A while later, I joined the PCGS boards, and I have been learning ever since.

Currently, my focus is on circulated type coins. I have a registry set that I am using to build a certified type set. I focus on crusty original, deeply patinated specimens. I am also working on a raw Dansco 7070 US Type Set album. I'm about 45% done with that set, but I've still got a ways to go. I like the idea of a type set, instead of a single series, since you can explore all different series, and get a feel for a wide array of niches. You also explore how coinage has evolved over the years, and the history behind the changes in design. The story of the Racketeer nickel, and the wartime coinage comes to mind.

Today, what keeps me collecting is the joy of holding history in my hand. I find numismatics to be a way to connect to the past - something that cannot be easily accomplished by other means. To hold a coin in your hand that was minted during the American Civil War, or World War Two, and imagine where the coin has been for all this time, and whose hands this coin might have passed through is truly fascinating to me. I mean, to even see a coin that was minted at the birth of this country - or any other country, for that matter - gives me chills sometimes. Someone iconic could have held a coin you own. Maybe your Capped Bust Half was in the pocket of a Civil War Soldier. Or your Walking Liberty Half was carried in the purse of the wife of a WWII marine away on the front lines. Heck, maybe your Half Disme was held by George Washington. I love to think of all of the possibilities, and know that, for however brief a time, I added my own little piece of history to that coin. With all of the passion I have for numismatics, I want you veteran numismatists to know - the future of your hobby is in good hands
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had some nice conversations with him.
    It's always sad when someone passes away. Moreso when it is someone so young...

RIP

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible

I also had some pm's with Chad,
    he won something from me at a contest for YN's
    and he was and is an asset to our forum,
    I will miss him.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His family can rest assured that he was cared for in our little world. I enjoyed his musings, and his intellect. He held the candle beautifully.
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Wow - what sad news. I made a purchase from Chad a few months back, did not know from our communications that he was a YN. A delightful guy, what a loss.

Yes, Cary, NC is right outside of Raleigh, NC and close to Duke Medical in Durham, NC.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. This is sad news. I think I had sent him one of the prizes for the YN essay contest. The obituary says to send donations to the Duke Children's Hospital or DUMC Transplant Services. Anyone interested and capable of running a group fundraiser in his memory that could be pinned to the top for a while much like the stolen coin reward threads?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file