Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stewart Blay and I in New york City

I don't even know how to start this thread. Lord Master gave me full permission to post this!

I was invited to a venecian-style wedding reception from a Christie's auction ex-employee Dec 3rd. I knew I would go to NY for a longer stay, and immediately called Stewart to see if we could meet. I asked him if he was around then, and he said for sure, and we tentatively planned:

I asked him if I could see any "goodies". He told me when I flew in on Dec 1st, to immediately meet him at his "bank". We were going to go into the Vaults!!!

I arrived 2:00pm, checked into my Hotel Wales on 96th and Madison at around 3:00pm, and with my "Christie's" hostess, took a cab as FAST as I could to meet him at the bank. The whole time I was worried there wouldn't be enough time, since the bank closes at 4:30pm. The cab takes us to the corner of midtown where I was supposed to meet him, and I at first panicked, because I couldn't find his bank. Was about to call him, and there standing in front of another bank, was the master, looking like a hitman waiting for payment. I yelled, "Lord Master!!", and then I said, "this is the bank?". He said, "Yeah, I guess I didn't know the name of it!!" Has this major collection in it, and he doesn't know the name???
imageimage

We proceed to go into the bank to the safe deposit section, and it is now 3:30pm. We get our "room", and I still feel we are parched for time, and he says "relax". He gets this "crate" from the bank employees, and looks at me with this cat-in-the-hat grin.

I am about to see, what I feel now/today, is one of the greatest collections of U.S. coins in existence.

He starts off slow: With my loop in hand, the first coin is a 1925 s/s, and it I think was a 65 rd. Then he slowly shows me other "error" coins - all in PCGS holders. They are STILL 1925 s/s!!! Then come different d/d, s/s, d/s, - There were too many to remember. All of them looked like they were made yesterday.

He knew what ones I would want to see, and I said, "make sure I see the princess!!". He says, "Don't worry - she will arrive!".

Now he starts his format. Starts with the lincoln cents. And he starts shoveling them to me. 1909. Out come at least TEN from that year. I first look at a 67RD 1909-S VDB. IT is the best I have ever seen. I'm not going to tell you HOW MANY!!! He asks me about the 1909 VDB. Amazing, and then I almost PASSED the 1909-s. 67RD, one of THREE of course, forgeting THAT coin was worth as much as the s-VDB's. Then comes 1910. Amazing. 1911. He looks at my friend and says, "This is one he'll really like!!!" and out comes the 68RD 1911. I looked at that one a LONNNGGG time. I could not find ONE THING wrong with it. It was one of the nicest lincoln cents I had ever seen. I (had) two 67RD's, but they were/are chump change to that 68.

He is now moving slowly still, and I keep thinking the bank is gonna boot us. The "guard" ask's us how much longer, and he says "1/2 hour". We're O.K. 1913, and then 1914. I was so much in awe by ALL of them, I didn't have enough time to appreciate them. There were just SO MANY. 1914 has the 14-d, of course, and he shows me a bunch of them, spotless and perfect of course, but I had ALMOST FORGOTTEN the 1914 P, and the 1914-S were just as newsworthy. He has the ONLY 66RD s, (the other one was fedex stolen, and where abouts still unknown), and the 1914 P, only 3 67RD's. 1915, a 68, 1918, a 68. It just never ended!!!

Then the cat-in-the-hat grin comes again. Here she comes. The 1919 69RD.
I had a hard time looking at it, because I couldn't keep still. There are pictures (shylock) available to check it out, but in person, it is RIDICULOUSLY FLAWLESS. It looked like it just came off the press yesterday.

1922 NO D, with a 64RD and a 65RB. I told him they both looked the same to me. He agreed. I told him so many of his doubles looked like they could upgrade. Response: "PCGS is afraid of me!!!". I knew what he meant. Upgrading and increasing the value of some of these to boost the guarantee clause, gives PCGS a headache when Stewart is walking near their booths!!!

Then he lines up all the double dies. Including the latest purchase everyone has heard about - the 1958 DDO MS65RD. Along with it was 55's (yes, more than one, and you know they are all reds..), and the 1969-s 65RD. I knew I would never see another 58 or 69 that nice in my life - ever- again.

Then come the early years. Flying eagles, etc. and before. He showed me a GREAT example of the 1858/7 DDO. The doubling of the obverse was all over the coin. He then shows me (and my hostess), an 1857. I looked at it and IT had an OBVIOUS DOUBLING on the date, and the eagle. Stewart's response? "Oh wow. You're right. Yeah, but it is not as good as the other labeled one". BUT IT WAS STILL A DDO!!!

MS high grade after another. Then the IHC's. Same ole' story. I had tons of them in front of me. The 1877, "the princess" shows up. And so one.

Every copper red cent to me will look like junk now since I've seen this collection....

Then the proofs. The nicest 1859, 1909-s IHC I have ever seen, let alone the in-between years. The 1909 VDB I think, or the 1909, was a 68 PROOF. 68!!! I shook my head so many times, I thought it would fall off.

Somehow, we were allowed to stay in the bank until about 6:30pm. He paid the guard a nice tip, and he closed up shop. I know he is a big barber and other stuff collector, but never got to them. I forgot - his cent PATTERNS. So many I always wondered where they were. No need to wonder anymore...

We then walked around town for a long time, and went to his place to see some of his sculptures. Very good stuff. And his coin stories. They are all amazing- present and past what is happening.

If you ever get the chance, ask him about the 1958 DDO story. It is truly so amazing, and the story exemplifies what a true PASSIONATE and DETERMINED collector will do to get that coin that he/ she wants - no matter what.

We proceeded to go out to dinner, with my TWO girl friends now, and had a blast. Stayed out late enough, but the next morning, he was involved in the Philadelphia private coin auction, and I had to do more things. But is was unbelievable. It was a red copper standard that I feel no one these days will be able to achieve at his levels...

Me and Lord master about to go into the "vaults"

with my hostess watching, the "mini vault" is about to open...
Here they come...
Cat-in-the-hat
The shoveling begins
The "princess"
"The only cat I will ever own. A dead one!" At Maxine's and Mandibles "bone" and other science store. He wanted it for sculpture practicing purposes...
At his home office. Notice his screen saver. The 1919 69 RD, of course.
The only thing I could find in New York worth more than Stewart's box at the bank!!!
The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

Comments

• Options
    Wow great post! I wish I had friends with coins like that!
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    Sounds like the time of a lifetime.image
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all that excitement over a bunch of pennies? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

You think there is a reason Stew could not remember the name of his bank? I do!
    It probably has been bought out and merged 5 times in the last 10 years! Who can remember those silly things?

By the way, your pics remind me of the many times I got to see the Norweb collection personally with Ambassador and Emory Mae Norweb in Cleveland in the 1970's. A thrill of a lifetime.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Great Story! Thanks for sharing it. Wish I could have shared in the experience.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lloyd! That is an amazing story and knowing Stewart quite well myself, you have shown what a truly generous and great guy he really is. No doubt you have seen what very few will ever see.

Too bad you didn't go to his other bank! image
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    One of Stewart's paintings? image

• Options
    I'll regard him as a TRULY generous man if my name is anywhere in his will....

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Dang Lloyd, sounds like you had some fun.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Sounds like a great time. Stewert should bring them to the Regsitry Lunch at FUN so we can all see them.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap, that is one helluva story, thanks for sharing that. Nice of Stewart to let you browse the vault! That would be the experience of a lifetime.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great story.

Now I know why the Coins I see look like such trash

THEY ARE!

Got to buy more Lottery Tickets!image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story!

Tales like this bring home the point that PCGS has seen most of these MONSTERS and compare our coins to them in their minds when they are grading our stuff. Sometimes we forget that fact when we think our coins should grade at such and such a grade.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Wow, excellent story. I've met Stewart several times and have seen his indian cent collection, truly remarkable. I am very jealous of you for having a private showing of his cool coins, congratulations.

Stewart, if you come to Long Beach, you can stay at my place if you bring a couple of indians to show image

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck of a story.

Lot of eye candy in that room.image
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Fun to read, and enjoyed the pictures.

Thanks, LM.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Great Post, Thanks for the pics and sharing your story
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets
  • Options
    Great post and great photos, Lloyd! You did a superb job of describing those beauties and captured the exitement you experienced in seeing them up close and personal. It was most generous of Stew to not only bring you into his inner sanctum but also to allow you to share the experience with forum readers.

Nice job! My kudos to you both!

BTW, is that painting a VanGogh?

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    You have two girlfriends?image

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I really enjoyed reading that post. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. The pictures helped too. For example I could see that mere blue PCGS boxes won't do, they have to be the scarce and desirable PCGS Green boxes. image

I remember seeing one Stewart's registry sets at the PCGS table in Long Beach several years ago. It was great. I would like to see that 1793 cent in 65. It sure sounds like you had a great time in NY.
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story!! image

And great point, TDN.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>I would like to see that 1793 cent in 65. >>

<< <i>65BN 1793's. >>

Plural

There are a couple Stewarts coins I would like to see and they aren't copper. image
    Although the 93's would be a treat.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very special post, and a very special event.
  • Options

Lloyd,

I'm at a loss for words. So, how about I just say...YOU SUCK!

Jack
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only one word---Holy Crap --- All right...two words.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to have been there. Your a lucky man! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Great story! Stewart, you should post pictures of your Barber dimes in the registry for the rest of us to enjoy. I'm only two spots behind you and gaining fast! imageimage
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post of the year - thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    BTW, is that painting a VanGogh?

Yes - 'Starry Night' at the Museum of Modern Art
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Great story and collection !image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was another thread started about the ten best threads of either the past year or the past 5 years... doesn't matter... this thread earns a spot on the roster... this is truly an outstanding story with the pictures that help tell a remarkable story. I am impressed... and yes the painting had something to do with it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Cameron:

<<You have two girlfriends??>>

They're not twins, so it shouldn't upset you much.

• Options

O'K, now that I've settled down a bit I do have to reiterate what has already been stated. Stewart takes a little heat now and then. He can be a little rough around the edges. However, this thread speaks more about him than most realize. He's a good guy and is a passionate collector. What he and Lloyd and "little missy" shared is what this hobby is all about.

Way to go Stewart!!

Jack

• Options
    a never to forget kind of coin!
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options

Great story, great collection. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Is that a check book on the printer? Stewart why don't you write me a check for the nice compliment. image
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Modern crap. LOL image Seriously, the stuff of dreams.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, Lloyd, but if you were going to use all that space for images you could have tossed in a couple of the coins. Or, at the least, some better shots of the chick.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to have connected friends in the coin world image
    Did you tell Stewart that you were a practicing "sleight-of-hand" master and that you always carry some spare PCGS lincolns with you image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's a class act. 'nuff said.
    Doug
  • Options
    Pretty damn cool. Did ya stop at Starbucks on the corner? image
  • Options
    Lord Master looks really, really familiar!
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

A great private showing image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    thanks so much, reading this post made my day

Stewart really is a great guyimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Great story and ditto on the "Chick".
    Andy
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread and indeed one of best threads of the year. What a great afternoon - true numismatic reading material ala Bowers mode.

Make you wonder when Laurie will chip in image

Marc
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

You saw the painting that's in this painting!
    Jenness Cortez ~ Cortez Classic Gallery

Thanks for a great post! Thanks for the great pics! You've shared a very interesting numismatic event image
    My congrats to Mr. Blay for bringing together a terrific group of coins imageimage

KJ

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    O.K. Russ, you asked for it: Some venecian party pics...
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Bottom right is Actress Kelly Rutherford. In "E-Ring" with Dennis Hopper, NBC on Wednesdays at 8pm EST. Was on "melrose place"

And I didn't forget about you, Cameron. Every year, a friend and I use our West Hollywood house as a Halloween after party, which always is the after-hours party for the Playboy Mansion's Halloween party. (My buddy is now married, we bought the house originally for investment because we have to go to LA/Orange so much, but we don't live there. He is an event planner, and we rent it out a lot for Grammy party's etc., to pay the bills and then some...). This year, I was a 60's hippie! These are the pg-13's! image

imageimage
    imageimage

My bodyguard. Do you know of a better one???image

Just for you, Cameron!!!

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Now, that's the stuff!!

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji