Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your eBay feedback policy?

I've noticed there is a dying breed of eBay sellers out there: Those who actually leave feedback for the buyer, first, upon receiving payment, which is the way it should be done.

After all, the buyer has fulfilled his end of the bargain by submitting payment to the seller. What more does the seller want? The seller gets his money; the buyer deserves immediate feedback, period. If for some reason the buyer is not happy with the product he receives, and wants to discuss a return/refund, then that is what email is for, not feedback. It's gotten to the point of feedback blackmail on eBay. I've heard the sellers arguement that when a buyer leaves positive feedback, the seller then considers the auction complete, and only then will he leave feedback for the buyer. In my opinion, that's totally backwards, and chicken sh1t. It's also my belief that if a seller holds his feedback waiting for the buyer to leave his, it is only so the seller can return any negative feedback he may receive. Why else, then, would a seller not leave feedback if he has received payment?

I buy more than I sell on eBay, but when I do sell an item, I immediately leave positive feedback for the guyer. Every time. I ask that if the buyer is not happy with his item to please just contact me first and we can arrange a return/refund. So far so good. As a buyer I've left feedback for sellers too many times and have not gotten feedback in return, so I've adopted the policy of never leaving feedback for a seller unless he leaves the buyer (me) feedback first. I've gotten a couple emails from sellers asking if I was happy with my item and mentioning the feedback, I say yes, and explain my stance on the issue. One replied saying he totally agrees with me, and in a couple days I noticed he left me positive feedback and I immediately returned the gesture. Another guy I just never heard from again.

Then you get the hand written notes on your invoice where a seller asks for positive feedback when you receive your item, and the feedback will then be returned. It's at that point I say to myself, thanks but no thanks, dude.

I know many of you nice folks here on these forums sell on eBay, and I am curious as to your views regarding this topic. Specifically, I'm interested in hearing from the sellers who do not leave feedback for the buyer until they receive it first. The arguement posted here cannot be used, so you'll have to post a new one.

*Grabs a bag of popcorn*

Comments

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still give feeback once payment is recieved.
    I too feel once payment is made feedback is deserved.
    Works for me so far.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a buyer I would not expect the seller to leave positive feedback until the transaction is complete. By complete I mean that I have received the item and informed him that it is OK. As a seller I would not leave feedback until the seller has gotten the item and said that it is OK.

WHY?

Because some buyers are jerks, and just because they sent their checks out real fast does not mean that they won't be trouble later. After they get the item they can start complaining and asking for a reduced price or an unwarranted return.

The few times I've sold on eBay I disclosed EVERYTHING, good and bad, about the coin to best of my ability with a good picture. Given that I would expect the buyer act accordingly. Yes, I can be wrong, but there are people out there who are out to jerk you around, and because of that, a fast check does not immediately rate positive feedback.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    When I am the seller, I leave feedback as soon as payment is recieved.
    When I am the buyer, I leave feedback as soon as item is recieved. (unless I'm going to leave a neutral or a negative, I always contact that person first and see what is up)
    I've recieved one retalitory negative after I left one for an item I purchased. I've recieved one other negative about some coins, but it was rediculous and we agreed to have it removed. I've recieved a couple of neutrals in regards to grading when I was first starting out. I've given plenty of negatives and neutrals if the other party refuses to work something out or flatout not pay.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

In most cases I leave feedback after I get paid. My auction descriptions are very up front & detailed so there are no surprises. I use the
    best pics that I'm able to take and always ship the day I get paid or next day if payment comes too late to make it to the post office.

Before leaving feedback I look at the buyers feedback to see if they leave petty or large numbers of neutrals or negatives. If they do
    then I will give them feedback after they give theirs first. I have almost 300 positives with no neutrals/negatives and happily I have only had
    to leave 2 negatives for non-paying bidders.

Also if I see someone only receives feedback but never gives any, then I won't leave any for them. I figure why help build their reputation if
    they don't have the courtesy to help mine.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buyer: I leave feedback after I receive the item, I let the seller know that and if there are any issues to be worked out (only happened a handful of times), and the seller leaves feedback. Note: I don't expect the seller to leave feedback until I receive the item and inform them of any issues and work them out. I don't not leave surprise feedback.

Seller: I leave feedback after I (a) get paid. (b) send the item. (c) buyer receives the item. (d) Buyer lets me know of any issues I need to do to complete the transactions (ie.....it got there safe and sound and AS DESCRIBED...not just "as pictured").

My policy is no surprise as I inform all buyers/sellers at the time of auction completion. I don't believe in playing feedback games and prefer to be up front about it.

I treat buyers as I want to be treated as a buyer and sellers as I want treated as a seller.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    The buyer's responsibility is more than just paying. For example, if a shipment is totally lost, the shipper must fill out the form 1000, send it to the buyer, the buyer must fill it out and send it back to the shipper so the claim can be filed. There is a lot that can go wrong in this scenario, and a buyer that already has a positive feedback will usually demand a refund before filling out the form "or else". I had this happen, and refunded the buyer. He never returned the form, and also hit me with a negative claiming I never shipped the item.
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    As a buyer on eBay (a couple a auctions a week), I leave feedback when I receive the item. It's usually pretty generic, "Received coin as described. Pleasure doing business with you", unless it's a seller I've bought from before, extremely fast shipping, good communication, etc... then I'll add a little extra. I'd say that less than a quarter of the sellers will leave feedback for me before I leave mine.

In my opinion the seller holds all the cards which I don't necessarily think is fair. They won't ship unless they have money in hand, no feedback until you leave it first, and a hold for 10 days until the check clears. I realize that the the potential for sleaze ball buyers exists but for those of us that are extremely trustworthy it still grates that we're grouped with everyone else and we're supposed to trust the sellers (and based on opinions expressed in this forum there's a lot of crappy sellers out there).

Maybe I'm too trusting but if I ever sell anything on the BST board I wouldn't hesitate to ship the item to established members before I receive payment. I would also do the same on eBay depending on feedback of the buyer.

Millertime
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I give feedback when funds are in my bank when I sell. I have given more feedback than I ever get back. Buyers don't seem to remember often.
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    I only leave feedback right away for know forum members...or any other I trust will be fair from all angles.
    This would be a good example why.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I chose early on to leave feedback on receipt of payment, and to not fret about the buyer's response. It's worked for me 873 times, but I understand why some are cautious.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    When I sell an item on ebay the winning buyer will get a document like this one. When I hear that he has recieved the item and is happy, or he leaves feedback, then I do. It works for me and a lot of forum members here have recieved this form!

• Options

<< <i>When I am the seller, I leave feedback as soon as payment is recieved.
    When I am the buyer, I leave feedback as soon as item is recieved. >>

This is the way I do business also.
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I leave feedback once paid.

But that is stupid because I just posted what a great pleasure it was doing business with them, when the package is still sitting on my desk. I have no idea how the buyer will feel about the transaction, or even if the post office will get it delivered to them.

But, I don't care. The worse they can do is leave negative feedback if I have to tell them to go pound sand.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    As a buyer, I have no problems with the seller leaving feedback after I do.

Both parties should make the best effort to resolve any problems with the transaction. I don't consider the seller waiting to leave feedback "feedback blackmail". I try to put myself in his shoes and act accordingly.

As a seller (with only one sale currently), I would want to make sure I have worked out any issues mutually and I would wait to leave feedback to make sure the transaction was final .

I have experienced some sellers not leaving feedback immediately or immediately after the sale. A few surprised me and left feedback several weeks or later...I guess they were just too busy at the time.

I would imagine if someone was overly concerned about getting their feedback, they could just "contact member" the other and request it. image

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I don't sell much but I leave feedback as soon as I get paid as a seller. I leave positive feedback as a buyer when coin received and all is good to go. Lee
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is ridiculous…

Sellers, leave feedback when you get paid (assuming the funds are good). It’s a classy thing to do, unless you are shipping junk.

Buyers, leave feedback when you receive the item. If you think you got screwed, email the Seller first and try and resolve it. Then leave the appropriate feedback.

Holding someone hostage via feedback is dumb, because the bottom line is whoever leaves feedback first is “exposed” to some potential whacko, be it a nutty Seller or Buyer.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

<< <i>This is ridiculous…

Sellers, leave feedback when you get paid (assuming the funds are good). It’s a classy thing to do, unless you are shipping junk.

Buyers, leave feedback when you receive the item. If you think you got screwed, email the Seller first and try and resolve it. Then leave the appropriate feedback.

Holding someone hostage via feedback is dumb, because the bottom line is whoever leaves feedback first is “exposed” to some potential whacko, be it a nutty Seller or Buyer.

Dave >>

Please show me one example where a buyer posted positive feedback first, then the seller posted a negative.
  • Options
    With my first auctions on EBAY I left feedback when payment was recieved.THen though some people didn't leave feedback for me and it annoyed me.Now I do a you leave me feedback and I leave you feedback thing when i'm selling.Sounds fair to me
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    I started waiting for the buyers to leave me feedback first at the advice of some colleagues who have gotten unfair feedback from buyers. Unfortunately, some buyers would rather negative feedback you without contacting the seller first to tell them they are unhappy. I don't coerce anyone to leave feedback, and certainly don't try and force them to leave positive feedback. But I have a lot to lose if they neg me without letting me make it right, which I always would. Although I have not yet (knock on wood) ever had someone be unhappy. If someone unjustly negs me without talking to me. I want the ability to neg them back and say it as a negative feedback not just as a lame add on to my previous positive feedback. If that policy annoys you I'm sorry. Feel free to not exchange any feedback. If I sell you a coin, you pay for it and are happy with it then that's all I really want.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    I've bought more than sold on ebay. I think that feedback should be left after both parties agree that the transaction is 100% complete. Payment from the Buyer to the Seller is only part of the transaction. It isn't "feedback blackmail" for a Seller to wait to post feedback until after he/she knows that the Buyer is satisfied and that the Buyer is not unreasonable about something towards the end of the transaction.

What would be great would be for ebay to change the feedback process so that it could go more like this for a win-win transaction...

1. Buyer receives the item and is satisfied.

2. Buyer gives the seller a PRIVATE and PENDING positive feedback that will be unlocked when/if the seller reciprocates with a positive feedback for the Buyer.

3. If the Seller does nothing after say 10 days then the Seller is automatically reminded that there is pending feedback to be left.

4. If the Seller does nothing after say 45 days then the Buyer is automatically notified that the Seller has not responded.

5. On 45 day timeout or on negative/neutral feedback from the Seller the Buyer can then either change their feedback to something final or he/she can cancel the pending positive feedback and simply leave no feedback.

But ebay doesn't do anything of the sort today to better help Buyers and Sellers keep cleaner ratings (even though it would certainly benefit from doing so). So given today's setup at ebay I personally prefer to leave positive feedback after I am happy with the transaction and to hope for a reply in kind. I used to email slow reciprocating Sellers and ask for a positive feedback and half of them would do so. But now I just hope for the best.

As for when I dislike a transaction, it's really got to be a $h!--y deal for me to leave negative feedback. I NEVER leave neutral feedback. If a deal is poor but not horrible I simply add the Seller to my blacklist and leave NO FEEDBACK at all. I don't want to risk taking on a realitory negative or neutral feedback! That's the system and you have to learn to work with it.
  • Options
    After reading through these, I went back to the two auctions I won recently where the sellers have left no feedback for me, and left them positive feedback. I feel like a kinder, gentler person. Thank you, guys. image
  • Options
    IMO Feedback should be left by both parties when the transaction has been completed. Leaving feedback after you have received payment is premature. I don't expect feedback from a seller after he has received my check, and I won't give it when I am a seller after I have received the check. Feedback is for the WHOLE transaction.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    It’s the classic “Catch 22” scenario.

I won’t leave feedback until you leave positive feedback. You give me a positive, I’ll give you a positive. You neg me, I’ll neg you! Deal?

Ok now, who goes first? Uh oh..... image

Silly. As a result, feedback has become fairly useless…

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    I leave feedback when the transaction is complete and the buyer is satisfied with the purchase.
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Sorry.. I don't leave feedback until after the return period has expired. I'll be the first to leave feedback, but I want to make sure there aren't any pending issues.

The transaction isn't over until the customer is satisfied, in my book. Why should I leave feedback regarding a transaction that is still pending? I will leave feedback first, but only after I know the buyer has received the item, and is satisfied with it. Considering many conflicts and problems generated by a transaction don't occur until the item arrives, and the buyer's satisfaction will have an impact on the outcome of the transaction, why should I prematurely leave feedback?
    Tim
  • Options
    I'm lost...

You leave positve feedback if the customer is satisfied, negative feedback if he is not? Not sure that was the initial reason for feedback.

Dave
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My take on this is that the seller should always leave immediate positive feedback for a buyer who has sent him "prompt, good funds" for an item. By seller doing this he "sets the stage" for a satisfactory completed transaction a vast majority of the time.

Could a buyer turn on you,ie. cause "trouble" after you have left positive?

Sure. It can happen but so what? My answer to unwarranted "trouble" would be to block the troublemaker, without notice, from participation in my future auctions. In other words, "You really want a negative? Now you got it."image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    I have only posted 2 auctions on ebay. Andwaited untill the items where recived befor leaving feedback, BUT I had also contacted the buyer, and explained that I wanted to be sure they got the items and where happy with them.

You only get 1 chance to leave feedback, per sale, or purchace. so it must be done right.

You can talk with e-mail as much as needed.

paulz603 (if anyone here has sold me something)

PS. I have 100% possitive and have left no negatives or nuetrals as yet. granted I don't have 1000s of feebacks either
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    Scenario: Troublemaker leaves me a negative. My standard reply?

"This bidder is blocked from future participation in my auctions....(!)"

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

Buyer: (NEGATIVE) This guy sold me an overgraded 1937 Lincoln cent. I will not buy from him in the future!

Seller: (NEGATIVE) This guy paid immediately, with good funds, but was unhappy with the coin. He NEG'd me. What a chump; AVOID! I hope he gets leukemia. eBay's worst!

Dave
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feedback left.............756

Feedback received.....629

Where are the other 127 chumpos ?.........image

2 negs have been left with no negs in return. Two more would have been left but the sellers got NARUED before a chance was had. Depending on the buyers previous feedback, or lack of, a decision is made whether to give Feedback immediately upon payment receival.

Ken
  • Options
    Sorry.. I don't leave feedback until after the return period has expired. I'll be the first to leave feedback, but I want to make sure there aren't any pending issues.

The transaction isn't over until the customer is satisfied, in my book. Why should I leave feedback regarding a transaction that is still pending? I will leave feedback first, but only after I know the buyer has received the item, and is satisfied with it. Considering many conflicts and problems generated by a transaction don't occur until the item arrives, and the buyer's satisfaction will have an impact on the outcome of the transaction, why should I prematurely leave feedback?
    Tim
  • Options

<< <i>The seller gets his money; the buyer deserves immediate feedback, period. >>

I disagree.I did that at first,then there were a lot of buyers that did'nt give me any feedback.Now I wait until I recieve feedback.
  • Options
    What is the big deal about when you leave feedback? I make sure and leave glowing feedback to new users if I've had a good experience, but otherwise the timing of it shouldn't matter.
    When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
  • Options
    I had one Ebay buyer who refused to pay for the postal insurance. I told the person that if the item got lost, it was their problem. If it had been lost it would have really been MY PROBLEM. If you think I'd give that person a positive rating BEFORE the whole transaction was finished, your crazy.

No, paying quickly is only part of the buyer's end of bargain. It ain't over until the it's OVER.
  • Options
    Guys, help me with feedback etiquette.

So…...let me get this straight.....if your guy leaves positive feedback, you leave positive, correct? If he leaves neutral, you leave neutral, right. He negs you, you neg him. Crap, this ain’t hard! I think I get it!

Dave
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I leave positive once I recieve the money and have never had a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but if a buyer negs can't you still post a reply to his negative feedback even though you've already left a positive?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The seller gets his money; the buyer deserves immediate feedback, period. >>

I disagree.I did that at first,then there were a lot of buyers that did'nt give me any feedback.Now I wait until I recieve feedback. >>

But you have been paid for your item; the buyer has fulfilled his end of the bargain. I think it's a good gesture to thank the buyer for his business with positive feedback. I mean, if you both keep waiting for the other to leave feedback, you may never get it even if both parties are satisfied with the transaction. But like I posted earlier, I went back and ended up leaving feedback for sellers who never did leave me any, and now I have two more feedbacks that I likely would have not received had I been hard-headed about it.

I still think it is the buyers responsibility to initiate the feedback, but what ever, I now leave it whether or not the seller has left me any, and hope the thought is returned. I don't have hundreds of feedbacks like a lot of you, so it's kind important to me that I get the ones I can especially since I've started selling more on eBay.

You know the saying: The customer is always right.
  • Options
    One of the secrets to life is to only worry about the important chit, and this ain't that important!image
  • Options
    It seems to me some people are more concerned with getting feedback than decent coins.
  • Options

<< <i>It seems to me some people are more concerned with getting feedback than decent coins. >>

That's another topic entirely. Trying to stay on topic here. I'm not certain if you were referring to me at all, kitty, or just in general, but certainly the product received is paramount when compared to feedback for sure. Don't get me started on the ways some sellers deceive when it comes to their auctions. Might have to start a thread on that one.
  • Options
    Excuse me, it's another topic? No it's not. Some people do seem to be more concerned with feedback than getting what they paid for.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    if you were referring to me at all, kitty, image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems to me some people are more concerned with getting feedback than decent coins. >>

That's another topic entirely. Trying to stay on topic here. I'm not certain if you were referring to me at all, kitty, or just in general, but certainly the product received is paramount when compared to feedback for sure. Don't get me started on the ways some sellers deceive when it comes to their auctions. Might have to start a thread on that one. >>

Mr. MajorDuty, are you by any chance an alt id? There is another fella on here with Major in his name and acts like an ass also!
  • Options
    "Correct me if I'm wrong but if a buyer negs can't you still post a reply to his negative feedback even though you've already left a positive?"

Yes, one can reply to feedback left, positive, negative or neutral.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay me my money and I leave good feedback. That simple. I've run into a few jerks selling on ebay and I don't doubt I might eventually get one as a buyer, but I'll take the risk. I represent what I'm selling as accurately and honestly as I am able. The couple of times people have wanted a return, I've bent over backwards to accomodate them. I would do so again. What's for them to complain about?
    mirabela
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    I give feedback as soon as I'm paid. No one will argue that when a seller puts up first feedback you're going to get the coin pronto.
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    As a seller, payment received feedback left.
    As a buyer, item received as advertised AND feedback left by seller, then I leave feedback.

One of these days I'll get that bad buyer but to hold feedback hostage for the hundeds that have bought from me is just wrong.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    I sell coins on Ebay, not Feedback. Quite honestly, their system stinks, at any time, any jerk could hit the buy-it-now, leave an immediate negative, and Ebay will let it stick. Feedback is an afterthought to me, if the buyer wants one, I will cherrfully leave a like positive in response.
  • Options

<< <i>Mr. MajorDuty, are you by any chance an alt id? There is another fella on here with Major in his name and acts like an ass also! >>

No sir/ma'am. (honestly don't know) I do not play games with multiple ids. This is the one and only id I have here.

Acting like an ass? Well, you're entitled to your opinion. Browsing through these forums, I've seen a whole lot more ass acting than me.

If someone makes a false accusation about being overly concerned about feedback and caring not about the quality of coins received on eBay, I might come across as an ass in response, in some people's perception, but........ah never mind. It makes no difference.

I posted this topic to discuss feedback, not coins, and I do appreciate all the response. Some may think a "decent coins" topic is the same as a "feedback" topic, but they're Wrong. I came here to chat with people I have something in common with, not but heads about some trivial little detail.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file