Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver breaks $6, now where does it go?

I'm happy at $6 right now. Would be real happy moving toward $10!
Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans

Comments

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Wouln't hurt my feelings.image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    start warming up the smelter.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    imageAND THE DOLLAR SINKS BELOW .80 EUROS!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    Silver? Everyone knows my opinion on precious metals (they stink), so I would dump it all now at this price, but PLEASE don't flame me. I know I am in the minority in this forum. I was fortunate to get to go to Europe in 2000, and it cost me next to nothing (a little over $2K for 2 1/2 weeks) because the dollar was so strong. Now it is so weak. image I think it will come back. When the euro came out, it was meant to be about equivalent to US$1, so it has a long road to recovery.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no question in my mind that we are now in the midst of a selling opportunity for silver. I have seen several price spikes like this over the past 20+ years and each time it was wise to sell into the rising market. I don't see any reason why it will be different this time.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with dollardude. There were TONS of greedy speculators who bought in late and were holding out for $50.00 an ounce and lost their butts. Get in, get out, take no prisoners...that's MY motto.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I don't have a crystal ball so I don't know if silver will go higher or not. I know that I don't know!

But I am smart enough not to sell into a rising market. Geez that reminds me of the guys who sold the Dow at 4,000 back in 1995, right before the greatest bull run ever!

I remember one idiot was shorting at Dow 6,000, because it "had to" be overpriced!

I'll keep an eye on silver and sell when the tide turns. No different than anything else. As long as I get $4.50 I'm OK, so no need to be concerned whether it's $5, $6, or $7.

The thing to be concerned with today is where to go with the money next, because we all know these markets may be good or bad for extended time periods.

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    the last time silver went shy high their was a lot of coins melted down is this what you want to see?

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver is going to run and run hard over the next several years. Very few will have the stamina to hang in there though....hence very few will reap any rewards. No one said it was going to be easy to make money. So what if it has gone up in the past and then crashed.

As usual DD is preachin his anti-anything but real estate and CD's approach to investing. It's getting old hearing the same old story.
    Silver will kick the hell out of RE and the DOW over the next few years. I too sold out of the Dow in 1997 at 7500. Rather than believing the "trend" I sold based on a "stupid number" that appeared to be "high." Same mistake many are now making on gold and silver. Yup, $400 and $6 is too high, better get out. I'm staying the course on PM's and coins. This is the big one Alice.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I added several thousand ounces to my hoard about 3 weeks ago, just had a feeling.

I do think we will see a dip in late Jan and Feb and I intend to add a few thousand more ounces around then as well.

I love the folks who are bailing out early, keeps the prices near spot for me.image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    This is just all to weird! We must be in some sort of adjustment period just before the World decides which way to go. I personally am not a paper person but all the experts say the DOW will go to 12,000 within a year and I believe them. Not because most of these companies are not already over priced but because the Baby-boomers want one more chance to grab at the brass ring in their IRA’s. If they continue pouring money in this market it can only go up, but there will be Hell to pay when they decide to go to income producing investments. When interest rates get back to around 6% look out! As far as the metals go I think they will become a permanent part of many investors holdings. I have several friends that are perfect profiles for a mid fifties upper management boomers. All of them have bought tens of thousands of dollars worth of metals the last couple of years, “ As Insurance”. They will not sell no matter where the price goes. This economy acts like an inflationary economy, but the government says we have none. Real-estate, Stocks, metals, collectables all are experiencing price increases. Several months ago I was buying American Eagles to build several sets, all the time I was buying I was thinking to myself this is dumb, why I am doing this. Most of the pieces I bought were in the $7.10 to $8.00 range, Kitco has these at $8.50 for common dates today. The only thing that I can figure out is that the Boomer group knows something is wrong here so they are putting some money into the metals market as a hedge, and since that market is very thin compared to the stock market it keep on moving up. As far as a big drop in the metals, I don’t think that is possible for anything but a short term profit taking swing. I think people are starting to buy for a long term hold and will use every dip to buy more.
  • Options
    Silver will surpass $50. It will leave that figure in the dust.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

I think the entire rise in PM, Dow, and Energy is due to the falling dollar. I read somewhere that the Dow is flat in terms of the Euro. Without doing formal research, if the dollar has fallen 20% to 0.8, then that would clearly make a Dow 10,000 into Dow 8,000 for Euro-based investors.

Remember that years ago OPEC agreed that oil would be no more than $28/barrel? Why is $32-33 OK now? My calculator says that todays $32 is yesterday's $26.
  • Options
    Fishcooker, This is a very good point. We all tend to forget that these are World markets not U.S. markets and many people in the World are buying with expensive money. For some reason I just can't get this formula in this dyslecksic&%$#%$ brain of mine.
  • Options
    Go figure! Right when I'm in the process of buying and taking about 200 oz of silver off someone's hands.
  • Options
    I know this is a simple question, but I have no idea how to answer it.
    Where would I go to sell my silver coins, I have, probably 3 or 4 lbs of foreign silver coins sitting around?
    Anyone know a place in Georgia?
    Thanks as always for the great information.
  • Options

<< <i>Silver will surpass $50 >>

SM1

Lay off the hooch (or at least pass some to Russ you boggart!) will ya!
  • Options
    I've never seen the Spot Charts step like they did the last few days. I was wondering when we would see a little profit taking. Hold on. Let the burned out sell us their inventory. I'll buy all I can afford without any major lifestyle changes on a fixed income. I'll buy until $12.00. Then I have to make adjustments. We'll see who was right in a year or two.
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    Just an earthbound misfit,
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I FIRMLY believe that silver prices will do one of three things in the future: go up; go down; stay the same. Furthermore, I guarantee it.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but all the experts say the DOW will go to 12,000 within a year and I believe them. >>

Any time ALL the "experts" agree on anything, it's time to run - not walk - in the opposite direction. We are close to that in precious metals. The bugs are coming out of the woodwork in droves.

Hell, how good can any investment be that is hawked by Art Bell? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Silver has broken $6.00 agin - but in the other direction!!
    Wondo

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, the more something is hyped, I run in the other direction.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I certainly don't see "ALL" the experts touting gold/silver - in fact, far from it.

Of course, all the usual "goldbugs" are touting gold as they alwyas do.
    Maybe they are just doing it a bit louder now.

But when I watch financial stuff on TV (like CNBC, etc.), they still spend almost
    all of their time talking about stocks, promoting stocks, salivating over stocks, etc.
    Once in a great while they'll mention metals. Yesterday they had an interesting
    fellow on (forget his name) who was talking about precious metals. Just as he
    was about to get to the good part, the commentator stepped in and said
    "sorry we're out of time" and cut him off to go to a commercial. How rude !

• Options
    Well, it looks like your getting your wish!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Man, what was in that eggnog this year? I want the recipie!

Just enjoy the ride my friends. The precious metals prices have a mind of their own.
    Alexandria Collection

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house. - Proverbs 25:24
  • Options
    Platinums not doing too bad either, up $24 at $845. Might look high until you realize its 15 times rarer than Gold!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember talking about this $6 break through with a local dealer
    and buying a roll of 2003 ASE'S for around $185.
    Still have the roll, never even went through them.
    Anyone else do any buying in Dec. 03, and still possess the purchase?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>Remember talking about this $6 break through with a local dealer
    Anyone else do any buying in Dec. 03, and still possess the purchase? >>

Yep. Au and Ag

Still stand by my above prediction

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I did as well... and still holding both silver and gold. Still a ways to go. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time seems to screw up my predictions, but holding silver makes up for being a lousy clairvoyant.
  • Options
    I'm still holding silver eagles I bought when silver was $4.93image

It's the hoarder in me.............can't let go of my stuffimage

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a classic thread!
    It's full of crow and gems.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver is going to run and run hard over the next several years. Very few will have the stamina to hang in there though....hence very few will reap any rewards. No one said it was going to be easy to make money. So what if it has gone up in the past and then crashed.

As usual DD is preachin his anti-anything but real estate and CD's approach to investing. It's getting old hearing the same old story.
    Silver will kick the hell out of RE and the DOW over the next few years. I too sold out of the Dow in 1997 at 7500. Rather than believing the "trend" I sold based on a "stupid number" that appeared to be "high." Same mistake many are now making on gold and silver. Yup, $400 and $6 is too high, better get out. I'm staying the course on PM's and coins. This is the big one Alice.

roadrunner >>

RR posting in this thread was made 12/30/2003 & talk about hitting the nail on the head with that one.... image

and what ever happened to dollardude ... talk about getting it completely wrong...here was his comment: "Silver? Everyone knows my opinion on precious metals (they stink), so I would dump it all now at this price"

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Remember talking about this $6 break through with a local dealer
    Anyone else do any buying in Dec. 03, and still possess the purchase? >>

Yep. Au and Ag

Still stand by my above prediction >>

What was your prediction?
    Paul
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    RR you are the king of PM's.

<< <i>Silver is going to run and run hard over the next several years. Very few will have the stamina to hang in there though....hence very few will reap any rewards. No one said it was going to be easy to make money. So what if it has gone up in the past and then crashed.

roadrunner >>

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Were did all the doom and gloom predictors go?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have a roll of 2000 ASEs that I got for $115 delivered, that I got overcharged on shipping ($15 vs the $3.50 actual postage) from the ebay.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I follow the commodities markets very close and tight. I also have access to some very smart and savvy people. I''m convinced that by Election Day 2012, silver will be around $30. an ounce and gold will be about $1850.

Platinum depends on how the auto industry, worldwide, does....reflective of the need for catalytic converters needed.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brings back such fond memories debating with Dollardude and company. I miss the wisdom or our founding fathers....no not Washington and Jefferson...but Goldsaint and Deadhorse.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    I bought 300 ozs of silver at $6.80 an ounce and still posses all three Englehard bars.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    Posted here by yours truly:

Friday December 19, 2003 6:41 PM

Gold $900+

Silver $18.00+

dow 6800

Nasdaq 900

Real estate bubble to pop

Insane was I?

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Posted here by yours truly:

Friday December 19, 2003 6:41 PM

Gold $900+

Silver $18.00+

dow 6800

Nasdaq 900

Real estate bubble to pop

Insane was I?

image >>

Holy cow what a call....whatcha thinking now...??image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Were did all the doom and gloom predictors go? >>

To the D&G Forum, aka PM Forum. image
  • Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭
    I do not often agree with Roadrunner, but I have to acknowledge the accuracy of his prediction here!

I have a buddy who has his entire life savings in PMs. His auto mechanic offered to buy 50oz of Ag from him a few weeks ago. Called him on a Tuesday, said he'd take possession on Saturday, but wanted the Tuesday price. My friend said "No way." By the end of the week, Silver was up to 19-something. The mechanic backed out because it was too expensive. Oopsie!
    Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Wow SportsModerator!

That was pretty good.

<< <i>Silver will surpass $50. It will leave that figure in the dust. >>

And it looks to be heading that direction.

Ed
  • Options
    A Blast From The Past. image
  • Options
    Wow; a Prophesy from the Before Times!
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    <<silver will surpass $50. It will leave that figure in the dust. >>

SportsModerator1, where did you purchase your crystal ball?
    Above prediction made on Wednesday December 31, 2003.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>SportsModerator1, where did you purchase your crystal ball? >>

You can buy them on eBay.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    <<You can buy them on eBay>>

I know that, but I want the exact model SportsModerator1 possesses.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file