Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

75T Mini Box Break - Interest in Adding Boxes of 73T Wax Ser 4, 73T Wax Ser 5, 75T Cello & 79T R

Looks like the consensus is to abandon the bid for the case. I'm therefore starting with 3-4 of the 1975 Topps Mini Boxes
and we'll see what the demand is. These are boxes from the same case as last fall (the one's that yielded the Ryan PSA 9
and a bunch of other low pop 9s and 10s). Based on the unsolicited offers received after that break, the cost est. is $45/pack
(a bit higher than normal, but there is good reason to believe from the first break that this is a hot case).

There is also the possibility to add the following boxes to this break depending on overall interest:

1973 Topps BB Series 4 Wax (24 packs) - Estimated cost $80-$85/pack
1973 Topps BB Series 5 Wax (24 packs, Schmidt series) - Estimated cost $250-$255/pack
1975 Topps BB Cello (24 packs) - Estimated cost $100-$105/pack
1979 Topps BB Rack (24 packs) - Estimated cost $45-$50/rack

For now, assume quantity of 1 box of each.

We would need to get complete boxes filled in order to break into another 75 mini box or include any of the additional boxes.

Will gauge interest through the weekend and then expect to get the break kicked off early next week.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Cool! Mega props to you.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 826 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck to you. I'm watching it also. We could probably save some $$$ and communicate if we both want it.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    My bid is purely on behalf of the forum. If it wins, then the forum members ultimately win. This is what I said I would do in November,
    so it has been public knowledge to anyone who participates here.

If someone here is bidding against my bid then all they are accomplishing is either:

A) Making the cost go up for everyone here who will ultimately participate if the bid wins

B) Overpaying for the item if the bid ultimately loses

As for the comment about bidding strategy we will have to see what happens. There are pros and cons about going at it this way.
    And regarding the comment about "faith" in the principals at Mile High, I am very comfortable on this item. However while I understand
    that anyone is welcome to their opinion, if it were me in your position I would keep my opinion to myself instead of publishing it.

Good luck to the forum's bid

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>However while I understand that anyone is welcome to their opinion, if it were me in your position I would keep my opinion to myself instead of publishing it. >>

Wow...sounds like someone people will line up to deal with. Looking back on the thread, all I saw was "You sure place a lot of faith in Drent AND Madec!"

I'll keep the rest of my opinions to myself, per your instructions.
  • Options
    Not instructions. Simply good advice.

We live in a litigious society. Publishing defamatory statements about people and their businesses can lead to lawsuits for libel.
    Better to keep opinions like this private unless you have something to back it up with. It isn't worth the worry of how the person
    might react, and even if its valid defense attorneys still cost a pretty penny.

There's a big difference between subjective opinions and calling into question the integrity of the principals at Mile High.
    Archaninator may not like them (or perhaps has some negative history with them), but to insinuate that they might be
    incompetent or somehow dishonest in some way with a comment like that is just asking for trouble.

That's all I was saying.

Dave
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    What if no one on the forum wants any? Would you then keep them all for yourself?

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    We could sell out just boxes very quickly, but doing a similar break like we did with the 77 Topps is in the best interest of the forum IMO. Hope we get it.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    70Topps is trying to do a pretty cool thing for the forum. I say let's keep this upbeat and positive and let it play out.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Good luck 70Topps! Props to you.
  • Options

<< <i>Not instructions. Simply good advice.

We live in a litigious society. Publishing defamatory statements about people and their businesses can lead to lawsuits for libel.
    Better to keep opinions like this private unless you have something to back it up with. It isn't worth the worry of how the person
    might react, and even if its valid defense attorneys still cost a pretty penny.

There's a big difference between subjective opinions and calling into question the integrity of the principals at Mile High.
    Archaninator may not like them (or perhaps has some negative history with them), but to insinuate that they might be
    incompetent or somehow dishonest in some way with a comment like that is just asking for trouble.

That's all I was saying. >>

Now I'm confused.

What is defamatory about "You sure place a lot of faith in Drent AND Madec!"? How does that call into question the integrity of the principals at Mile High?
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    It is unfortunate that Archaninator is attacked for merely offering experienced, knowledgeable advice.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the best cards pulled from packs in recent memory came from Conlon cases.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bidding early with a max bid and announcing it is not a smart strategy...count me out!

I will delete the last comment but saying you place a lot of faith in y or z is innocuous.

Are these the Conlon off centered cases...do you even know the sources of this case? >>

I have no dog in this fight and will not be participating in this break even if it comes to being reality but my question is this. From my understanding, Conlon got his cases from various sources. Was there a greater majority of his cases that were off center? Can I assume that only a small percentage of the cases were like this? Has the history of breaks from his cases shown to be they contained off center cards?

Just curious
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    I might have to participate in my first break if this is won.
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 826 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We could sell out just boxes very quickly, but doing a similar break like we did with the 77 Topps is in the best interest of the forum IMO. Hope we get it.

70Topps is trying to do a pretty cool thing for the forum. I say let's keep this upbeat and positive and let it play out. >>

+1
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    No dog in this fight either as I will only participate in breaks offered by Steve Hart regardless of pricing.

I have bought quite a bit of mini wax product from the Conlon hoard and had very good centering on a lot of cards. Many were
    very clean.

I don't play poker too often but I never show my hand until I have to. My advice would have been to put an entry bid in and
    contact through pm just a few of the main unopened buyers here to gage interest in this to see if it was worth pursuing. I do
    remember the comments from the last box break but I still would of kept this quiet to maintain a bidding advantage even
    if it was not a perceived one.

aconte
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I think I will go run the bidding up on this.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    shouldn't you be out beheading helpless woodland creatures?
  • Options
    Arachinatot, that was one case..there were many others and some of them had terrific centering and gloss. The packs that David sold in his box break a couple of months ago were outstanding.

Edit to add: that said, centering issues are very common with 75 minis. That's why there's such a premium for higher grade cards and low pop commons.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Just wanted to share with the thread that I reached out to Archaninator just to make sure any misunderstanding was cleared up, and I believe
    "all is good" between us.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and we'll see what happens. It's only about the top of the 2nd inning image

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Arachinatot, that was one case..there were many others and some of them had terrific centering and gloss. The packs that David sold in his box break a couple of months ago were outstanding.

Edit to add: that said, centering issues are very common with 75 minis. That's why there's such a premium for higher grade cards and low pop commons. >>

I especially enjoyed seeing that PSA 9 Ryan come back from that break (and am looking forward to seeing some additional nice
    poppage reports in the near future).

Dave
  • Options
    Thanks 70 Topps! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Look forward to ripping these open next month!
    I have no collecting direction. I just buy stuff!
  • Options
    So where is the sign up thread?
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I really can't resist 75 minis. image

Thanks for the reminder, I have a month to get up some cash.

Woohoo,

Joe

• Options

<< <i>So where is the sign up thread? >>

Once we know what we have available to break I will post one. It will either be this case OR it will be a few boxes that I still have from the same case that
    we broke in October/November.

Dave
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I purchased the PSA 9 Ryan from a board member; it is one of the main cards now in my set.

I also graded out a Gene Tenace PSA 9 from those packs, one of the toughest in the set to get in a 9 holder.

I also graded out a Jim Brewer PSA 9 (pop 6) and a PSA 10 Mickey Lolich, which is a super low pop card in 9, and a 1 of 1 in 10.

In sum, the packs that 70ToppsFanatic put up last time were the best-centered cards that I've seen, and I've opened ten boxes over the years and gone through thousands of others in the process of building my Registry Set.

So forget this case, 70ToppsFanatic needs to part with more of those packs from before!
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From personal experience, I participated in the Conlon BBCE break and was less then impressed with the centering. >>

Having owned 11 of the cases from conlon that were sold through REA , the centering is hit or miss by case. If you get a good case , I is heaven. A bad one, well you all saw that on the break from way back. Really no way to know until you start busting packs.
  • Options

Current Bid: $18,623.00
  • Options
    And that is without juice, unfortunately.

• Options

<< <i>What if no one on the forum wants any? Would you then keep them all for yourself? >>

LOL, that would be the day the world ends.
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    i also thought there was talk of a 1975 group rip of o-pee-chee baseball if so i am in
  • Options
    BBCE has a 1975 OPC wax box that we couldn't fill in the last group monster rip. I think Mike and Marc (foo) are a new monster rip going shortly.

As for the 1975 mini wax case, we'll know in another 8-9 days. Keep fingers, toes, etc. crossed.

Dave
  • Options
    Less than 24 hrs remain. image
  • Options

<< <i>Less than 24 hrs remain. image >>

Here's the latest. Some good news and some bad news.

First the bad news.

We are currently NOT the top bid on this lot. With buyers premium at current bid the cost is $1385/box + S&H.
    That's getting to be over-priced unless we have reason to believe that the boxes in this case contain superior
    cards. I have recently received unsolicited input that suggests that past cases with the same number that this
    one has stamped on the side have been disappointing. I believe that input to be sincere, and offered with the
    genuine best interests of this group in mind.

Since we did not know what to expect from this case my original hope was to get it at or below the recent cost
    of boxes from BBCE. If we had reasonable expectation that this case would yield above average or superior quality
    cards then paying a premium would be justified. Since we don't know, and given the input I received, I don't think
    it makes sense to pay a premium. Therefore, unless there is significant "outcry" from forum members to chase this
    case and also a commitment to take the boxes at the premium cost we would be ultimately be paying then it needs
    to be let go.

Now the good news.

I have more of the high quality boxes (same case) that were broken last year. From the results we've heard about/seen
    from those who participated in that break we know these boxes contained cards that were of superior quality. We can
    probably break 3-4 boxes of these boxes this time (with potential to add to that if the demand is high enough). Given the
    unsolicited offers made for these boxes since the break, the cost estimate is $45/pack.

In addition, we can consider expanding this break to include 1 or more of the following other 1970s boxes (all 100%
    original and untouched):

1973 Topps BB Series 4 Wax (24 packs) - Estimated cost $80-$85/pack
    1973 Topps BB Series 5 Wax (24 packs, Schmidt series) - Estimated cost $250-$255/pack
    1975 Topps BB Cello (24 packs) - Estimated cost $100-$105/pack
    1979 Topps BB Rack (24 packs) - Estimated cost $45-$50/rack

Expansion of this break to include any of these boxes would depend on the interest level that follows as a result from
    this post. Not sure on quantity yet for these extras, so assume no more than 1 box each for now. If demand exceeds
    that for any of these I'll try to improve on the quantities where I can.

Once we get some replies to this status message I should be able to get this break finalized and off the ground.

Dave
  • Options
    I'm in for at least 5 packs of the 75 Mini if available and possibly a 73
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I would be in for both series of 73's & both 75's.
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    I'd definitely be in for both 75 minis and cellos and at least one of the 73 boxes...

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'll take 4 '75 cellos and 2 '79 racks.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Count me in for the 75 minis wax and the 73s!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to do a bunch of minis.

edit: 6 packs if available
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Minis Minis Minis!!! I'm in for at least 5 or 6 packs!
    I have no collecting direction. I just buy stuff!
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in six of the '75 minis, three of the 75 cellos, two of the 79 racks and maybe two of the 73 4th series wax packs.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    i'd be in on the mini's again
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Dave
    I would be in for some Minis as well!!!
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭
    I'd be in for a 75 cello and a few minis.
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • Options
    Wow...at $45/pack for '75 minis, that's $1,620 per box. Strong price for the product. When we did a group rip from BBCE 13 months ago, it was $31.95/pack. I figured the prices would stabilize with so many of these cases popping up. I guess I was wrong as BBCE is selling packs at $40/pack now.

Congrats to the seller.
  • Options
    I'd be your huckleberry....

1957: PSA 8 +
    1974: PSA 8 +
    1975-1979: PSA 9+
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    I would take a mini and one 79 rack.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."