Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: Who are the most valuable living autographs, both sports and non-sports?
Created On Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:01 PM
Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]

thenavarro
Master Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:01 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

I just agreed to terms on a authentic Neil Armstrong (astronaut) signed index card a couple days ago and it got me wondering what the most valuable living autographs are? I realize that what the item is signed on tends to be a large factor, but for purposes of this discussion, let's just use simple sigs on index cards or cuts. Armstrong's typically go for $1100-1300 for nice quality, simple sigs. Who else is worth at least $100 that is still living for a simple sig? Here's a quick list that I came up with, who else?

Barack Obama - sitting Presidents are usually very pricey while in their term, but they usually come down substantially after they've been out of office a few years and do the book circuit, answer their mail, etc., while this one costs big bucks now, a little patience will go a long way.

Bill Clinton- the plethora of signed books has seriously dilluted his graph value, but he still remains highly collectible.

George W. Bush - still a popular autograph due to recent exit from office, but I bet when he hits the book tour, this will drop off under the $100 level just like his dad's did.

Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods come to mind in terms of sports figures where a simple sig will sell for triple digits.

Muhammad Ali - despite the tremendous volume of graphs he's pumped out, they still command triple digits.

Pele?? - does he sell for at least $100 for a simple sig?

Queen Elizabeth

I hate to include this one as I've never seen an example, but if a verifiable Bin Laden signature was to go to auction, it would easily reach 4 and maybe 5 figures IMO.

Harrison Ford- VERY TOUGH! I was at a Q&A with the guy that heads Razor that makes a lot of cut autographed cards, and he was telling us that he had to pay $400 per sig for Ford to sign simple stickers.

-------------------------
Buying US Presidential autographs

Edited: Wednesday June 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM by thenavarro

Bottom

goose3
Sick Twisted Freak

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:06 PM

Chuck Norris charges a C note for his sig and that's in addition to the cost of a book on his site.

Bottom

Stone193
Choose Your Title

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:10 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

Mike - I will always defer to your for this kind of info since I'm clueless.

I figure people who rarely sign will command the most money?

How about the Pope? I would imagine that would be a nice one to get - if anyone wants it? I'll see what I can do next time he has me over for lunch.

Mike

1963 Fleer PSA Set

Bottom

thenavarro
Master Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:15 PM

<< Mike - I will always defer to your for this kind of info since I'm clueless.

I figure people who rarely sign will command the most money?

How about the Pope? I would imagine that would be a nice one to get - if anyone wants it? I'll see what I can do next time he has me over for lunch.
>>

Nice one Stone. I forgot about the Pope, but he is definitely a triple digit.

Bottom

Billsfan13

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:18 PM

Ernie Davis will always command 4 digits...

Edited: Wednesday June 30, 2010 at 9:18 PM by Billsfan13

Bottom

vladguerrero
Expert Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:20 PM

<< Ernie Davis will always command 4 digits... >>

?

Bottom

thenavarro
Master Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:21 PM

Is that the football guy that died in the 60's?? Or is there a different Ernie Davis still living that sells for a high price?

Bottom

thenavarro
Master Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:22 PM

<<

?
>>

By the way Vlad, nice game you are having tonight against your old squad. That grand slam rocked!! Maybe our pitchers won't choke it up tonight.

Mike

Bottom

70sToppsGuy

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:28 PM

I would imagine Nelson Mandela would be worth some coin. As weird as it sounds, I think some serial killers have to go pretty high (Manson) ?

Aren't LeBron and Kobe over $100 easily ? Willie Mays, Bonds, Hank Aaron in Baseball. What about Gretzky ?

Bottom

MooseDog
Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:32 PM

Mike - are you asking about specific value, or scarcity? I'll defer to your knowledge of politics but in some other fields here are some I know to be very difficult to obtain, in some cases maybe the demand isn't there to be of great value but as far as I know these people just don't sign autographs for free and most don't do it for money either (Tiger of course the exception).

DARN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE
Neil Armstrong (top of everyone's list for sure) & Harrison Ford you already have
Patrick Ewing
Tiger Woods
Thomas Pynchon (author)
Steve Jobs (Apple CEO)
Paul McCartney
Bob Dylan
JK Rowling (signed early on, started refusing after she became a billionaire)

There may be some others - Liz Taylor? David Beckham?

Derek Jeter - autographs are plentiful but you can get over $100 easy for his. Also an authenticated Gretzky probably tops $100, Bobby Orr around the same.

Met Pele during the 1994 World Cup - super nice, signed 3 different items but he probably sells for a couple hundred these days.

Bottom

Dboneesq
Choose Your Title

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:33 PM

Mike,

I think Sandy Koufax is probably close to the $100.00 number.

Edited to add: How about Colin Powell ... Ichiro ... we can't forget STRASBURG ... George Steinbrenner ... Joe Paterno ...

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

It was tough having to sell almost my entire collection of ~1,700 PSA graded cards from the 1910s - 1970's and my ~250 - 300 Graded Packs from the 50s, 60s and 70s. But when your daughter AND your wife are diagnosed with Cancer, sometimes you don't have a choice. One day I'll get some of them back!

Edited: Wednesday June 30, 2010 at 9:41 PM by Dboneesq

Bottom

SDSportsFan
Master Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:39 PM

Neil Armstrong autographs are easily the most expensive of any living person. A couple years ago, a simple signed (uninscribed) 8x10 color portrait photo of him in his white spacesuit sold for over $7,000. I think that was an aberration actually, but the same photo will still run at least $4,000 today.

Signed/inscribed photos of Armstrong will run at least $1,000, and that's for a faded one (a common trait of photos signed by him in the 1970s is that the blue pens he used had what would best be termed as "disappearing" ink). A vast majority of them have faded to where you can barely read the inscription and signature. An unfaded signed/inscribed photo will usually run at least $1,500 today.

A portrait photo of all three Apollo 11 astronauts in their spacesuits, and signed by all three, can reach $10K.

Probably the biggest reason for the astronomical (no pun intended) value of Neil Armstrong autographs, is that he stopped signing autographs in 1994. Prior to that, he signed freely both in person and by mail. There are tens of thousands of his signatures out there, and they appear frequently for sale/auction, but the demand is just so great that it's driven the prices up beyond any reason.

Steve

My Get-Up-and-Go done got up and went

Edited: Wednesday June 30, 2010 at 9:42 PM by SDSportsFan

Bottom

thenavarro
Master Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:41 PM

Great input guys, I missed some very obvious ones. Also, nice hit again VLAD, just hit a solo homer now.

Bottom

jeffcbay
Master Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:47 PM

Dare I say Stephen Strasburg? His ball autos are selling for more than Mantle's... sickness.

My Ripken Basic Set Registry - Ranked 3rd - 100% Complete - 165/175 are PSA 10 (9.921 GPA)

Bottom

Billsfan13

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:52 PM

Ah sorry didn't even see that part lol. Anyways yeah koufax is a big one I have a nice auto card of him. Athletes wise most have been mentioned: Jordan, Tiger, Koufax, LeBron, Kobe, Jeter, Muhammed Ali, Pujols, Strasburg, Roger Federer, Andy roddick, Rafael Nadal, Andre Agassi, David Beckham, are just a couple.

Bottom

drewsef
Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 9:54 PM

someone mentioned Willie Mays but there's one that has been on the B,S,T for a couple of days now priced at $45

Bottom

vladguerrero
Expert Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 10:11 PM

<< Great input guys, I missed some very obvious ones. Also, nice hit again VLAD, just hit a solo homer now. >>

IM A BEAST! Yesterday I almost single handedly beat the Angels, today I will, 4/4 with a double, solo shot and grand salami so far! I LOVE the trade for Molina, we had no use for Ray anyways...

Edited: Wednesday June 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM by vladguerrero

Bottom

eagles33
Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 10:12 PM

User is online View thread in raw text format

I think any living president sells for over 3 figures along eithe the pope. I didn't know about armstrong. I know they have passed away but my most wanted auto is sinatra and reagan on the same photo of the together at some black tie event. What about fidel castro? His auto should pull some decent money? Is cuba still saying he is alive?

Looking to buy 1968 Mira Rod Laver and any ticket stub from a SeaBiscuit race.

Bottom

AFLfan

Wednesday June 30, 2010 10:15 PM

I'm not sure that I have ever seen an Al Davis autograph go for less than $100.

I collect autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969

Bottom

thenavarro
Master Collector

Wednesday June 30, 2010 10:17 PM

<< I'm not sure that I have ever seen an Al Davis autograph go for less than $100. >>

What's his rookie card??

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.