Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Who are the most valuable living autographs, both sports and non-sports?

I just agreed to terms on a authentic Neil Armstrong (astronaut) signed index card a couple days ago and it got me wondering what the most valuable living autographs are? I realize that what the item is signed on tends to be a large factor, but for purposes of this discussion, let's just use simple sigs on index cards or cuts. Armstrong's typically go for $1100-1300 for nice quality, simple sigs. Who else is worth at least $100 that is still living for a simple sig? Here's a quick list that I came up with, who else?

Barack Obama - sitting Presidents are usually very pricey while in their term, but they usually come down substantially after they've been out of office a few years and do the book circuit, answer their mail, etc., while this one costs big bucks now, a little patience will go a long way.

Bill Clinton- the plethora of signed books has seriously dilluted his graph value, but he still remains highly collectible.

George W. Bush - still a popular autograph due to recent exit from office, but I bet when he hits the book tour, this will drop off under the $100 level just like his dad's did.

Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods come to mind in terms of sports figures where a simple sig will sell for triple digits.

Muhammad Ali - despite the tremendous volume of graphs he's pumped out, they still command triple digits.

Pele?? - does he sell for at least $100 for a simple sig?

Queen Elizabeth

I hate to include this one as I've never seen an example, but if a verifiable Bin Laden signature was to go to auction, it would easily reach 4 and maybe 5 figures IMO.

Harrison Ford- VERY TOUGH! I was at a Q&A with the guy that heads Razor that makes a lot of cut autographed cards, and he was telling us that he had to pay $400 per sig for Ford to sign simple stickers.

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Chuck Norris charges a C note for his sig and that's in addition to the cost of a book on his site.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - I will always defer to your for this kind of info since I'm clueless.

I figure people who rarely sign will command the most money?

How about the Pope? I would imagine that would be a nice one to get - if anyone wants it? I'll see what I can do next time he has me over for lunch. image
    Mike
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike - I will always defer to your for this kind of info since I'm clueless.

I figure people who rarely sign will command the most money?

How about the Pope? I would imagine that would be a nice one to get - if anyone wants it? I'll see what I can do next time he has me over for lunch. image >>

Nice one Stone. I forgot about the Pope, but he is definitely a triple digit.
  • Ernie Davis will always command 4 digits...
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ernie Davis will always command 4 digits... >>

?

Is that the football guy that died in the 60's?? Or is there a different Ernie Davis still living that sells for a high price?

<< <i>

? >>

By the way Vlad, nice game you are having tonight against your old squad. That grand slam rocked!! Maybe our pitchers won't choke it up tonight.

Mike
  • I would imagine Nelson Mandela would be worth some coin. As weird as it sounds, I think some serial killers have to go pretty high (Manson) ?

Aren't LeBron and Kobe over $100 easily ? Willie Mays, Bonds, Hank Aaron in Baseball. What about Gretzky ?
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Mike - are you asking about specific value, or scarcity? I'll defer to your knowledge of politics but in some other fields here are some I know to be very difficult to obtain, in some cases maybe the demand isn't there to be of great value but as far as I know these people just don't sign autographs for free and most don't do it for money either (Tiger of course the exception).

DARN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE
    Neil Armstrong (top of everyone's list for sure) & Harrison Ford you already have
    Patrick Ewing
    Tiger Woods
    Thomas Pynchon (author)
    Steve Jobs (Apple CEO)
    Paul McCartney
    Bob Dylan
    JK Rowling (signed early on, started refusing after she became a billionaire)

There may be some others - Liz Taylor? David Beckham?

Derek Jeter - autographs are plentiful but you can get over $100 easy for his. Also an authenticated Gretzky probably tops $100, Bobby Orr around the same.

Met Pele during the 1994 World Cup - super nice, signed 3 different items but he probably sells for a couple hundred these days.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike,

I think Sandy Koufax is probably close to the $100.00 number.

Edited to add: How about Colin Powell ... Ichiro ... we can't forget STRASBURG ... George Steinbrenner ... Joe Paterno ...
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neil Armstrong autographs are easily the most expensive of any living person. A couple years ago, a simple signed (uninscribed) 8x10 color portrait photo of him in his white spacesuit sold for over $7,000. I think that was an aberration actually, but the same photo will still run at least $4,000 today.

Signed/inscribed photos of Armstrong will run at least $1,000, and that's for a faded one (a common trait of photos signed by him in the 1970s is that the blue pens he used had what would best be termed as "disappearing" ink). A vast majority of them have faded to where you can barely read the inscription and signature. An unfaded signed/inscribed photo will usually run at least $1,500 today.

A portrait photo of all three Apollo 11 astronauts in their spacesuits, and signed by all three, can reach $10K.

Probably the biggest reason for the astronomical (no pun intended) value of Neil Armstrong autographs, is that he stopped signing autographs in 1994. Prior to that, he signed freely both in person and by mail. There are tens of thousands of his signatures out there, and they appear frequently for sale/auction, but the demand is just so great that it's driven the prices up beyond any reason.

Steve
    Great input guys, I missed some very obvious ones. Also, nice hit again VLAD, just hit a solo homer now.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Dare I say Stephen Strasburg? His ball autos are selling for more than Mantle's... sickness.
  • Ah sorry didn't even see that part lol. Anyways yeah koufax is a big one I have a nice auto card of him. Athletes wise most have been mentioned: Jordan, Tiger, Koufax, LeBron, Kobe, Jeter, Muhammed Ali, Pujols, Strasburg, Roger Federer, Andy roddick, Rafael Nadal, Andre Agassi, David Beckham, are just a couple.
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    someone mentioned Willie Mays but there's one that has been on the B,S,T for a couple of days now priced at $45
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great input guys, I missed some very obvious ones. Also, nice hit again VLAD, just hit a solo homer now. >>

IM A BEAST! Yesterday I almost single handedly beat the Angels, today I will, 4/4 with a double, solo shot and grand salami so far! I LOVE the trade for Molina, we had no use for Ray anyways...
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I think any living president sells for over 3 figures along eithe the pope. I didn't know about armstrong. I know they have passed away but my most wanted auto is sinatra and reagan on the same photo of the together at some black tie event. What about fidel castro? His auto should pull some decent money? Is cuba still saying he is alive?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that I have ever seen an Al Davis autograph go for less than $100.
    Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

<< <i>I'm not sure that I have ever seen an Al Davis autograph go for less than $100. >>

What's his rookie card??
  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm... Not positive, but I think it may be a 1990 Pro Set.
    Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    We know Salinger was tough and commands a lot of money.

Harper Lee stopped signing many years ago.

Fitzgerald and Hemingway cost a lot.

Many authors actually are very expensive.

Ledger on the early Joker press photos are hard to find and his signature is hard to authenticate.

Gretzky through his website charges triple digits per signature.

<< <i>I'm not sure that I have ever seen an Al Davis autograph go for less than $100. >>

Yea, Al Davis is a beast when it comes to getting an autograph. People talk about Bill Russell (the Celtic) and Mike Marshall (the pitcher), but Davis is right up there with those two. In fact, now that Russell and Marshall have actually done private signings (Russell autographs are rather simple to find now - they'll just cost a few hundred $$), Davis is probably quite a bit tougher!

Steve
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Obama

Queen Elizabeth

>>

My sister has some political connections so during the campaign I met Barack Obama at John Tyler Community College and Michelle Obama while at UVA. A few years ago she met Queen Elizabeth and has her signature proudly displayed in her office at her law firm.
    Another one to consider is Emperor Akihito of Japan. Since he's revered as Divine by the Japanese people, I just don't know how one would approach him for an autograph, or even obtain his signature through an intermediary.

Steve

• << <i>I just agreed to terms on a authentic Neil Armstrong (astronaut) signed index card a couple days ago and it got me wondering what the most valuable living autographs are? I realize that what the item is signed on tends to be a large factor, but for purposes of this discussion, let's just use simple sigs on index cards or cuts. Armstrong's typically go for $1100-1300 for nice quality, simple sigs. Who else is worth at least $100 that is still living for a simple sig? Here's a quick list that I came up with, who else?

Barack Obama - sitting Presidents are usually very pricey while in their term, but they usually come down substantially after they've been out of office a few years and do the book circuit, answer their mail, etc., while this one costs big bucks now, a little patience will go a long way.

Bill Clinton- the plethora of signed books has seriously dilluted his graph value, but he still remains highly collectible.

George W. Bush - still a popular autograph due to recent exit from office, but I bet when he hits the book tour, this will drop off under the $100 level just like his dad's did.

Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods come to mind in terms of sports figures where a simple sig will sell for triple digits.

Muhammad Ali - despite the tremendous volume of graphs he's pumped out, they still command triple digits.

Pele?? - does he sell for at least $100 for a simple sig?

Queen Elizabeth

I hate to include this one as I've never seen an example, but if a verifiable Bin Laden signature was to go to auction, it would easily reach 4 and maybe 5 figures IMO.

Harrison Ford- VERY TOUGH! I was at a Q&A with the guy that heads Razor that makes a lot of cut autographed cards, and he was telling us that he had to pay $400 per sig for Ford to sign simple stickers. >>

Dude you were at the Beckett summitt??

I was their too! lol

Did you here the guy from Razor tell about the next auto card that might be made of George Bush Sr. ,Saddam Hussein, George W. Bush all on the same card?

Ryan image
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail [email protected]
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvis !

Shane

The big question is value vs actual collectibility, I think. As Mike said in his OP Bin Laden would likely be a very valuable autograph to a collector of such things, but there's the whole moral thing. Personally I think he's a dispicable waste of flesh and blood, but there are people who collect autographs of "notorious" figures and as such if those signatures came to market there would probably be spirited bidding. Part of the collector mentality, especially of money is no object, is to possess things that others don't have. More along those lines would be Zimbabwe dictator Robert Mugabe, Iran President Ahmadinejad, Fidel Castro, and Taliban Mullah Omar.

On a more positive note, here are some more I thought of.

The Dalai Lama - known to sign notes and letters but would still likely command high prices.
    Bill Watterson - creator of comic strip Calvin and Hobbes dropped out in the mid-1995 doesn't do public appearances, interviews or sign autographs
    Mick Jagger
    Ringo Starr - not hard to find, and used to sign TTM but got pissed people were selling them on eBay and has stopped "all together now" (couldn't resist that one!)
    Stephen Hawking - the famous physicist

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prince William.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • indiana9495indiana9495 Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Another astronaut that is more than $100 is John Young. He worked for NASA for 40+ years, flew 2 Gemini, 2 Apollo (and walked on the moon), and 2 Shuttle missions (including commanding STS-1). During all his years at NASA, he only signed his official portrait, and even that is faked a lot. Getting his sig on anything else is pricey. Now that he is retired, he does private signings with Novaspace (a.k.a Astronaut Central) every year and a half or so, and is $500. Since I collect moonwalkers, I had to get one that I knew was authentic, so I got a simple index card signed in January this year. If Armstrong did one private signing, I bet the autos would be $3000+.
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Mike,
    I wish I knew that about Armstrong,I have worked for Bill Lear[recently passed away}and his wife Brenda
    for years,after he died she asked us to help clear out the Airplane Hanger for her,I just knew there was going
    to be some cards somewhere in there,well there wasn't.There was alot of autograph's I did not know who they were,
    one was J.F.K him and bill shaking hands,another was Armstrong in a spacesuit,I had to ask,I didn't know.There was at least 20
    auto's hanging on that wallimageimage Well at least I got to hear some great stories from him about a few folks.

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
    I feel the toughest living astronaut to obtain today is actually Bill Anders. He flew on Apollo 8 (the first mission to the moon). He has been quoted within the past couple of months as saying he would sign autographs for $2,500 each. This money would actually be a donation to his favorite charity though, the San Diego Aerospace Museum.

His autographs are very tough to find. He did sign back in the late 1960s/early 1970s, but does not normally do so today.

One other problem with him is that he has been known to frequently change his autograph style, so you might get his signature, but it won't look anything like what his normal signature looks like.

His vintage signatures usually start at around $200.

Steve
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't quote exact prices, but I know there's a big market for Charles Manson and other notorious criminals.

<< <i>

I was their too! lol

Did you here the guy from Razor tell about the next auto card that might be made of George Bush Sr. ,Saddam Hussein, George W. Bush all on the same card?

Ryan image >>

Ryan,

Yep I was there, I always enjoying going to those and visiting with Spence and listening to the speakers. I like the door prizes as well. I found it funny that the guy from Razor decided not to issue Hussein custom cut autographed cards in his product cause I've had a couple custom cuts done from Saddam Hussein autographed documents that I had. I actually find their business model quite interesting as he has found a way to take relatively affordable cuts and make them a much higher valued item. Like the one you bring up, the 2 Bushes and Hussein, all of them are relatively affordable and you could get the graphs for the card for as cheap as $300-400 if you know where to shop and are competent at authenticating, but I bet in his product he issues, that will be a $5,000 card minimum. I like seeing how people add "value" to items, much like I do with souvenir typescripts that I produce.

Mike
  • Gretzky usually has 1 private signing each year. I sent in some sticks last time to be signed @ $299 per. It's worth it if you want a nice sig since you get his hologram and COA. He signs in person but his in person sigs are typically not high quality.

• << <i>Who are the most valuable living autographs, both sports and non-sports? >>

<< <i>Fitzgerald and Hemingway cost a lot. >>

That's because they've been dead for half a century.

• << <i>

<< <i>

I was their too! lol

Ryan image >>

Ryan,

Yep I was there, I always enjoying going to those and visiting with Spence and listening to the speakers. I like the door prizes as well. I found it funny that the guy from Razor decided not to issue Hussein custom cut autographed cards in his product cause I've had a couple custom cuts done from Saddam Hussein autographed documents that I had. I actually find their business model quite interesting as he has found a way to take relatively affordable cuts and make them a much higher valued item. Like the one you bring up, the 2 Bushes and Hussein, all of them are relatively affordable and you could get the graphs for the card for as cheap as $300-400 if you know where to shop and are competent at authenticating, but I bet in his product he issues, that will be a $5,000 card minimum. I like seeing how people add "value" to items, much like I do with souvenir typescripts that I produce.

Mike >>

I found it cool, how he made the cards and added character to them.. I thought the Harrison Ford charging that much was a bit ridiculous for stickers image

Did you get to see the guys Abraham Lincoln auto and John F.Kennedy signed book.. I never found out if Spence put the authentic seal on it . I was anxious to see the end results.. Do you Know what I am talking about?

I don't know if you saw me or not but I was the young kid, 19 year old with a thick 5 o'clock shadow.. The pops was with me, he has a dark complexion with a mustache sort of resembled Mario short and stocky too lol

I was hanging around the end table looking over a guys table that had some pretty awesome cards. 1976 Walter peyton bgs 9.5, 1986 Jerry Rice Bgs 9.5 with a pristine auto. A sweet 1988 Fleer #17 Jordan bgs 9.5 with two 10 subs. The guy had some great cards a lot of 1983 star Mj's as well graded with Beckett.

Ryan

1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail [email protected]
  • thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323

<< <i>

What's his rookie card?? >>

Afternoon,

After what he has put us Die Hard Raider fans through the last few years (Actually closer to two Decades), the price isn't for his Autograph...I'ts on His Head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

53 Year Old Raiders Fan Prayer to God kneeling next to his bed every night "Please, Please take Al to his final resting spot so I can have more self esteem than a Detroit Lions Fan!!!"

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Robert Byrd
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    too early?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

What's his rookie card?? >>

Afternoon,

After what he has put us Die Hard Raider fans through the last few years (Actually closer to two Decades), the price isn't for his Autograph...I'ts on His Head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

53 Year Old Raiders Fan Prayer to God kneeling next to his bed every night "Please, Please take Al to his final resting spot so I can have more self esteem than a Detroit Lions Fan!!!"

YeeHahimage

Neilimage >>

Amen X 2!!except the 53 year part,image
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Afternoon,

YeeHahimage

Neilimage >>

Amen X 2!!except the 53 year part,image >>

Yeah and he's like 87/88 years old, looks like Death Walking, and can't get around except with a Walker, and he'll proably live to be 109 just so he can screw up our Raiders for another Decade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
    An impressive array of names that people are coming up with. Ones that I've seen posted that can be picked up easily for under $100 are Willie Mays, Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, Colin Powell, Andre Agassi, Roger Federer, and one poster mentioned living Presidents (actually Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush can be picked up well south of $100.00).

MooseDog, you kind of asked about what I meant by value, and I meant monetary value, not necessarily scarcity, although a lot of times they seem to go hand in hand.

Stallion, I remember the guys cards that you mentioned on the end table. He had some very high conditioned signed cards. Nice stuff. I didn't see the Lincoln and JFK letters that you mention. If you happen to remember, I was the guy in a Notre Dame hat I'm sure, and probably a Notre Dame shirt, I don't remember for sure what I was wearing but that's my typical attire, at least the hat! image

Mike
  • how about mr patrick ewing?
    Mike's actually got a few toughies in his signature (want list).

The 1986 Ewing has got to be the toughest card to get signed in that set...1988 Stockton - in my experience, at least, Stockton has always refused to sign trading cards...and the 1984 Fleer Update Puckett while not impossible has to be tough given Kirby's early demise.

• csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Dr. Mike Marshall
  • mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭
    For years Bill Russell would not sign. Does he now? If not, I'm sure there would be some demand out there from Celtics or Sonics fans.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    He's been signing for a while now. At some point soon I'm guessing he'll stop, so grab them now while you can.

Tough baseball:

Pete Vukovich was as tough if not tougher than Marshall for a while. He seems to be doing some signings now though.
    Byron McLaughlin - former pitcher and now wanted criminal. Part of his story

Basketball:
    Ewing

Football:
    Gotta think some of the criminals (Bam Morris? Rae Carruth?)

Hockey:
    Ken Dryden, Mark Messier

Non-Sports:
    Armstrong would have to be #1. I'd guess Paul McCartney would be pretty tough as well. I would love to know what a certified authentic Tom Waits autograph would go for. I've never seen one for sale (just ones that are guaranteed authentic by the sellers - could be real, but I'm not spending a grand or so to take the chance).

<< <i>For years Bill Russell would not sign. Does he now? If not, I'm sure there would be some demand out there from Celtics or Sonics fans. >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • I will add Billy Cunningham who never signs. Not even for kids.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I suspect Cormac McCarthy is a three-figure signature.
    In hockey add to schr1st's list Scotty Bowman. Messier was always tough in person but would sign 1 but only if the card pictured him on the current team. For example he wouldn't sign Oilers cards when he was playing with the Rangers. Actually one of my funniest encounters ever. Mess looks something like a neanderthal, even in person...I asked him to sign an Oilers card and he just grunted..."Rangers", and that was it. Luckily I did have a Rangers card and he did sign it. Wasn't a d*ck or anything, just wouldn't sign the Oilers card.

I got Bowman when he was coach of the Canadiens, he was a willing signer then. He stopped completely at some point I think when he was coach of the Wings.

Be wary of any Ken Dryden sigs that are not in ball point pen. I got him the first couple of years he was in the league with my pens, but after awhile he would only sign things with his own pen, something like a nice Cross ball point. Also Paul Kariya is notoriously difficult.