Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who are the most valuable living autographs, both sports and non-sports?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Not that I would ever want his signature, but I am sure if you could find a cut signature of Bin Laden it would sell for a small fortune.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I didnt get a chance to read all the relies yet, but my first thought was to say it will be a criminal...

Id say Serial Killer.......... ie Charles Manson might be up there.

Bin Laden too, obviously

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Lance Armstrong usually sells for over $100.

The exception is a low rated Seller on eBay with an autographed 2.0 book, which goes for $40 - $75.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'm late to the party and did not read any of the thread.

I'd think Koufax for sports is a tuffie thus expensive.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 327 ✭✭
    Try to get a Strasburg for under 3 digits.

A 2010 Bowman Orange Refractor AUTO sells for $3000-$4000, while the regular orange refractor sells for about $800.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Dont call me Joey,Albert Bell.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I've been known to sell my autograph for three figures.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I suppose Manson and Bin Laden could be considered non sports.

no

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    J.K. Rowling for authors.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Keeping with Authors how about Harper Lee? I have also never seen one of the cards from Howard Stern Govenor run signed. I'm sure they are out there I just haven't found one....yet
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Keeping with Authors how about Harper Lee? I have also never seen one of the cards from Howard Stern Govenor run signed. I'm sure they are out there I just haven't found one....yet >>

Harper Lee is SUPER tough. To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite book ever and I've tried to find one on a few occasions. I've sent the book with donations multiple times. Always comes back unsigned.

Now that I'm into hockey autographs, Charlie Burns (who "doesn't believe" in autographs) is a $300+ signature if you can find one. Need him on 3 set cards and it'll never happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I hate to include this one as I've never seen an example, but if a verifiable Bin Laden signature was to go to auction, it would easily reach 4 and maybe 5 figures IMO. >>

His signature no longer meets the Thread criteria. image

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Gretzky is not that tough if you go to celebrity golf events. Demand is just quite high.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I was suprised to get a subscription email on my year and a half old thread. Coincidently, I agreed on a deal and bought this Neil Armstrong a few days ago. It's a gorgeous signature on a 7 x 10 piece of stationary that will frame up beautifully.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Keeping with Authors how about Harper Lee? I have also never seen one of the cards from Howard Stern Govenor run signed. I'm sure they are out there I just haven't found one....yet >>

Harper Lee is SUPER tough. To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite book ever and I've tried to find one on a few occasions. I've sent the book with donations multiple times. Always comes back unsigned. >>

Last Sunday's "Antiques Roadshow" featured a signed 1st edition 'To Kill a Mockingbird' that a little child brought in. The expert was floored with Harper's sig. J.D. Salinger is another tough nut.
  • Options
    mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what some big time current soccer players like Messi, Ronaldo, and Rooney would go for. I would guess Messi would be pretty expensive.
  • Options
    The Pope is always a tough expensive autograph. Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, and Ringo Starr are very tough and expensive. Neil Armstrong probably the most expensive living autograph. Sports autographs I would say Jordan maybe Lebron. Even with all the certifieds out there a Jordan still sells for over $300.

Hockey has Ken Dryden, Wayne Gretzky, and George Armstrong.
    Football had all Al Davis until he died. Tom Brady is probably the most expensive football autograph. Not very many of him out there. He is one of the few football autographs that are tough to find on certified card for under $100. Lynn Swann and Jake Scott are tough very expensive. Emmitt Smith as well.
    Baseball- Derek Jeter over $300 on a ball, Willie Mays is insane for his price to sign at shows, Pujols, Ichiro, ARod are also outrageous. McGwire was a couple hundred before he fell.
    Muhammad Ali charges an outrageous price. There are a lot of his autographs out there just like Willie Mays. I can't believe people the insane prices for Ali and Mays at shows. Ali might be the most overpriced autograph out there.

Jordan is my guess for overall living sports autograph especially on a certified card or ball.
    Neil Armstrong is the most expensive celebrity. Armstrong is a notorius non-signer that is almost impossible especially since the 1970's. The living Beatles and Dylan are expensive.

Presidents are generally tough. George H.W. Bush and Carter are easy to get. George W. Bush is easily the toughest of the living presidents.
  • Options
    Lew Alcindor and Cassius Clay autographs because of the name change. Both still alive.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gretzky is not that tough if you go to celebrity golf events. Demand is just quite high.

Nick >>

Heck, I saw him sign dozens of autographs at a minor league baseball game last summer. And he does signings through his foundation a couple times a year.

He's not that tough at all.

Tabe
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I collect WWII aces and any noteable generals; also groups like the Iwo Jima (Lindbergh) Marines, Black Sheep Squadron (Boyington) and medal of honor type recipients. Even German and Japaneese WWII aces can be tough and valuable. I agree, the astronauts can be a hard group as well. Presidents can be tough, but most of what you find are certified, a good thing. Movie stars are everywhere. Foe sports, I have always favored baseball. It has always amazed me how Mays, Mantle, etc go for hundreds, others are very affordable,inexpensive. I don't think it has anything to do with availability. Mays was always expensive and his attitude/character/demeaner o whatever you want to call it sucked. He was noted for being a grouch and a grump, yet everyone thought it was worth having an auto of the "Say Hey" kid. But that's another story and topic. Isn't Tiger Woods tough?
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    I never liked Willie Mays prices he is asking at shows today are insane. You can buy a certified baseball for much less than half of what Mays asks at shows.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Lynn Swann also does celebrity golf events, and is not only a willing signer at those, but he actually seems to enjoy talking to fans. A family member got me signatures of both from one tournament last year, and I've gotten Swann myself previously that way.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.