Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA 9 Gretzky RC...something aint right

There's no way a card of this magnitude with this centering could get a straight 9, right?

Gretz
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    no way, top to bottom is OC and left to right is OC= OC squared
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I would rather see the card against a black background...that way I can tell if the slab is compromised.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    yikes, why do i feel like i've seen that guy's '68 Koosman/Ryan PSA 9 somewhere before? fishy smells.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Yama Hama...it's fright night.

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    There's no way that card is the card that was originally encapsulated with that grade...
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>There's no way that card is the card that was originally encapsulated with that grade... >>

I agree with Scott.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    hi everyone!

i just emailed the seller...
    ------
    Dear allhopeisgone1980,

hi there,

is it possible to get a better picture of this card on a BLACK background? for the money that i want to spend on this card, i would like to see a clearer picture of the centering.

thank you!

- muggyman
  • Options
    My question to seller>>Dear allhopeisgone1980,

hi there,
    is it possible to get a better picture of this card on a BLACK background? for the money that i want to spend on this card, i would like to see a clearer picture of the centering.
    thank you!
    - muggyman >>

his response...
    Dear muggyman,

Its a PSA 9 and I trust PSA on there grades! Do you? The only back ground I have is the top of my scanner! This is the best I can offer on the picture! Its PSA 9 look up the grade ID # at psa.com! I have it in the listing! There are now bids on the item so I can no longer revise the item! Good Luck in the auction! Drew

- allhopeisgone1980

I don't love his response and his grossly uneducated misspelling (their vs. there) is always a red flag for me; is that bad for me to judge like that?

I am not bidding on the card, 'never was. But, good catch shagrotn77.

• Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    No way that card is a 9. Seller sounds very fishy.
  • Options
    Seller is obviously full of crap. His response was WAAAAY too defensive.

And sadly, no, I don't trust PSA to get the grade right on every card. And that's assuming this particular card hasn't been tampered with, which based on the picture and that response, is a huge assumption.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭✭
    Based on the seller's BS response, I think it's time to inundate him with e-mails about his fake azz cards. Let's have some fun!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    If you look at his completed auctions he has a BCCG 9 Nolan Ryan and Gretzky that he ended. I looks like he cracked them out and then "put" them into PSA cases.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    aks him about that Ryan rookie, too.....i swear, a fake was posted here with that serial #02103800....i wish i could find the thread, gotta keep lookin'......someone else chime in if you know where the "other" one is image
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing this auction is missing is a religious reference. Run like the wind.

Do a Google Search for allhopeisgone1980 and read about his past.
  • Options
    Says his name is Drew, but has "Gregg" in two of his past ebay IDs:

allhopeisgone1980 Sep-26-10 Present
    knotheadautographix6sic6 Jul-24-10 Sep-26-10
    celicapartsgregg Sep-22-09 Jul-24-10
    slipknotgregg Aug-08-09 Sep-22-09
  • Options
    Contact initiated with PSA, ebay, and his local mail authorities.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you look at his completed auctions he has a BCCG 9 Nolan Ryan and Gretzky that he ended. I looks like he cracked them out and then "put" them into PSA cases.

mathew >>

Here are the Gretzky cards for comparison.

• Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you look at his completed auctions he has a BCCG 9 Nolan Ryan and Gretzky that he ended. I looks like he cracked them out and then "put" them into PSA cases.

mathew >>

Here are the Gretzky cards for comparison.

image >>

Same cut at the top...mark on the right border. Looks like he cracked it and then trimmed it on the right edge and then stuck it in the PSA case.

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Wow you guys are good! Thanks for patroling Feebay for us. There is no way in hell PSA graded that card a 9. That is why I love this board. Keep up the good work.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    A mole among us...

"Dear muggyman,

I have read all your buddies coments about "me" on this "collector's corners site as I have just signed up and will leave my response in the am! Oh my !!!!!point someone thinks thats fishy! This is complete BS and please post all this there that all you immediatly accuse me of doing something that is against the law? this is just the worst I have ever seen on ebay in my days! one of your buddy's thinks I am a fake seller cause i use these!!!!!!!! Get a life! I willl be on there in the AM so all you "people" will stop making me look like an a**hole and doing something against the law which from what I read and saw was ripping and or cutting/breaking something! Well all you have NO clue about me but just start making and or blaming BS! Think what you want cause I have never seen such bull crap! This is UNREAL! See you there! allhopeisgone!"

- allhopeisgone1980
  • Options
    you guys better be careful his uncle is a sheriff image
  • Options
    Who cares? It isn't slander if it is true.

If the statements we (The board) were making turned out to be false, and he was defamed... Then he would have standing... He would be awarded a $1 lawsuit and told that he is correct, and that is about it.

The base that actually comes to these boards that would actually buy from him, I believe, is rather small... And doesn't do much to his "overall" business.
  • Options
    "F" him. Let him come on here...this place needs a thread to blow up! Let this knucklehead provide the material...

By the way, I agree...you guys are very good detectives! I was impressed with the findings on page one of this thread.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are the Gretzky cards for comparison. >>

Look at the print dot under the "N" in Wayne on the back. Same on both cards. I don't know what's worse. Being a scam artist or lying through your teeth when you get caught doing it.
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    I wish PSA would take a more active role in checking ebay for fake PSA cards. As a major grading company I would think that PSA would also be able to establish a more direct route to ebay for handling cards and sellers who sell fake PSA cards. PSA should create a link right on their main page called "Report a fake" so they can check any cards that might be suspicious. As much money as PSA makes on grading, they owe it to the people that buy PSA cards to at least attempt to protect them. Well that's just my opinion anyway.
  • Options
    Wheels are already in motion for authorities getting involved. My contact at PSA has also been notified and they are going to make it a point to get to the bottom of this listing with their local ebay and mail fraud officials in the NorthEast.

I have been assured that if this item sells and ships, we (and his current employer) will see a full investigation get played out right before our eyes.

I have a feeling that we can look forward to another article coming up on google soon regarding this seller, it has been escalated more than I thought it would already.

Felony, schmelony?

• Options
    Agree with above,it;s getting out of hand
  • Options
    Oh no, this Slipknot fan is coming for us!! Fun for zee hills!! lol

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Geez, reading all this reminds of my bad experience with another seller (macattaq aka booboo221) that sold me a PSA 7 Bobby Orr rookie a few years back. Slab was tampered with, sent it PSA to confirm, refused to refund my money claiming that since PSA opened the slab (thereby exposing him) he could no longer sell (offload) it to some other unsuspecting buyer. Took several weeks and jumping through hoops with PayPal before I could get my money back.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    That is a really OC Gretzky RC and that auction is dirty pool!
  • Options
    In the seller's defense he IS from Rochester, NH and the town closes at about 2:30 PM so he has plenty to time to practice his "craft". image

Another tool to add to the list. image
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Not exactly definitive, but it's the best I could do. Switching the Gretzky to grayscale shows a lot of things along the right edge of the slab that concern me.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭

<< <i>A mole among us...

"Dear muggyman,

I have read all your buddies coments about "me" on this "collector's corners site as I have just signed up and will leave my response in the am! Oh my !!!!!point someone thinks thats fishy! This is complete BS and please post all this there that all you immediatly accuse me of doing something that is against the law? this is just the worst I have ever seen on ebay in my days! one of your buddy's thinks I am a fake seller cause i use these!!!!!!!! Get a life! I willl be on there in the AM so all you "people" will stop making me look like an a**hole and doing something against the law which from what I read and saw was ripping and or cutting/breaking something! Well all you have NO clue about me but just start making and or blaming BS! Think what you want cause I have never seen such bull crap! This is UNREAL! See you there! allhopeisgone!"

- allhopeisgone1980 >>

Ok, it is 11:15 am EST, waiting patiently for the seller's morning annoouncement/response/rant. Hope it is as grammatically rich as the message he sent Muggyman.
  • Options
    cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    "Dear muggyman,

- allhopeisgone1980 >>

Can't wait.
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Options
    Where is popcorn girl when you need her??
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Seriously where is the popcorn girl?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think it takes a lil longer than 12 hrs or whatever it is for him to become a member.

Doesn't it take 2 or 3 days?

Good for you.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish PSA would take a more active role in checking ebay for fake PSA cards. As a major grading company I would think that PSA would also be able to establish a more direct route to ebay for handling cards and sellers who sell fake PSA cards. PSA should create a link right on their main page called "Report a fake" so they can check any cards that might be suspicious. As much money as PSA makes on grading, they owe it to the people that buy PSA cards to at least attempt to protect them. Well that's just my opinion anyway. >>

I agree. Chances are when someone is going to fake a slab, it will be for a high dollar card. A few cases of PSA busting someone will go a long way to prevent these scams.
    Mike
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I am joining the collector's corner right now so I can talk to you people saying all this crap about me doing something that is illegal "slab" a card? A fellow ebay member sent me to your site so I could see what you are saying about me and this is just completely wrong! I make an exclamtion point!! What did you mom tell you? Sorry I dont have a black screen as I have seen all your little messages of my other BCCG card! I will post my messages in a minute! I always end my messages with a !!!! so get that out of your heads what ever that means! Talk to me like a human being not someone doing something illegal???? This is unreal? Post it as I just signed up! See you there guys? I cant believe this stuff?

- allhopeisgone1980

• Options
    METAL WORLD SLIPKNOT 6 (SIC) 6

I LIVE TO STRIP OUT BUILD- REBUILD- MODIFY- 94-99 TOYOTA CELICA CARS!! BIG PASSION OF MINE SINCE 94 WHEN THE WERE BROUGHT TO LINE! BEST CAR/ENGINES EVER MADE!! 1.8 16 VALVE/ 2.2 LITER!! THEY RUN STRONG @ 400,XXX+++++++ MILES!

MY OTHER HOBBIE'S ARE THE SPORT OF BASEBALL!! PLAYED SINCE I WAS 5 TO 18 ALL "BASEBALL" TILL WHEN A M-250/ QUATER STICK OF DYNIMITE WENT OFF IN LEFT HAND! PERMANT NERVE DAMAGE! END OF CAREER ! SO STUCK TO COACHING MY SON AND SWAPPING/TRADE/ AUCTIONS/ GREAT COLLECTIBLES! AS WHICH I AM A HUGE HEAVY METAL TRUE METAL BAND/CONCERTS TO MEET AND GREET TO JUST MEETING AS MANY BANDS AS POSSAIBLE!! SLIPKNOT/STONE SOUR /DEFTONES /DEVILDRIVER /SOAD/ STATIC-X/ LAMB OF GOD/MUDVAYNE/ MUSHROOMHEAD AND MANT MANY MORE!! SO STAY (SIC) MY FELLOW MAGGOTTS! ALL HOPE "IS" GONE!!!!

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Tell him to scan with the lid up
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I just saw this on eBay and came here to see that this is already being discussed. Good detective work for those who have made contacts and pulled previous auction images up.

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    How many times is he going to sell the Goudey Ruth...The same card sold on 2/22 for 1525?
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Says his name is Drew, but has "Gregg" in two of his past ebay IDs:
    >>

He says his name is Gregg Drew.

See post #87 in this thread...
    link
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

link >>

Saw this over there as well. Autographs
  • Options
    Anyone with a buyer's account feel like doing a BIN on one of his listings and immediately put up negative feedback warning people?
  • Options
    How can you not trust a face like that?

• Options

<< <i>aks him about that Ryan rookie, too.....i swear, a fake was posted here with that serial #02103800....i wish i could find the thread, gotta keep lookin'......someone else chime in if you know where the "other" one is image >>

RYAN PSA 9:

Link
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

link >>

Saw this over there as well. Autographs >>

WOW, page #6 post #87 is in fact everything all wrapped into one. Bring it on Gregg!! lol
  • Options

<< <i>Where is popcorn girl when you need her?? >>