Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just in from PCGS - grade this Kennedy!

Okay, this coin just came back from PCGS. It's a beaut - as low of a grade as I've ever seen in a clad Kennedy. What's your guess on the grade?

BTW, braddick is now the proud owner of this coin! A genuine rarity.

I'll post the correct answer tonight (Friday).

Hoot
From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman

Comments

• Options
    AG-03 all the way.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    Fair-2 but PCGS probably undergraded it Poor-1 image
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    AG03 or less.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Not a poor 1 at all. way to much detail. It would have to be more worn, especially on the obverse to be even a Fr-02. I still think AG-03. We will have to wait and see.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOOT, is it ok I give ONE hint?!

-It's NOT PO01 (dang the luck) or FA02 or even AG03. image

peacockcoins

• Options
    Oh, one more thing: The SCAN makes the Kennedy look slightly better than it really is and for that: image

peacockcoins

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    AG4?

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    What are you people talking about, P0-1, Fr-2, Ag-3 no way thats gotta be G-4
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Weakly struck VF.

Look at the hair and the Eagle. The coin is of poor stike or a filled die.

ACG MS65
    PCGS VF35

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    The lowest in the pop report is AU58....no help there

GD06
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    CU musta been embarrased that PCGS graded it cuz all I get when I click on the link is an error message stating "this page no longer exists" image
    ahhhh....... SODO MELVIN?????
  • Options
    Pat - go for the hint!

Hoot
  • Options
    osirisMMII - I had to click on the link a couple of times for it to work as well! I don't know what's up.

Hoot
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I like it better than you people - I see lots of rim -

Fine -12
    and maybe if they were feeling generous (considering their overgrading guarantee and all) VG-20 !!!!

What's a raw coin like that worth (before slabbing)? something like 50 cents?

I suppose if you don't like the grade, you could crossover or crack and resubmit
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I agree the lack of detail is not from normal wear.It has to be a very very weakly struck or crud-filled die piece.Therefore it must grade accordingly.F-VF wouldnt surprise me a bit.
    Or...I,m flat out wrong.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Lots of detail still left. Fine-15
  • Options

<< <i>Lots of detail still left. Fine-15 >>

peacockcoins

• Options
    VG-8
    Keith ™

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Did we forget???

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    What's the grade?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    What's the grade?

I said F-15. Do you doubt my god-like grading abilities? image

Hoot said tonight. It's not even 8PM yet on the west coast.
  • Options

<< <i>I said F-15. Do you doubt my god-like grading abilities? >>

Not at all grading Godimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Alas! It approaches 11p.m. back east, so it's time! But first! The incredibly exciting story - okay, short - I found this gem while looking through rolls of half dollars for silver. It stuck out like no other. Never have i seen a recent-dated Kennedy with so much wear. I inspected it for evidence of poor stike, such as a grease filled die, and could find none. Indeed, with the rims worn into the edge lettering, I thought I had found an AG03 coin. It truly looked like a pocket coin that had slipped into circulation on someone's desperate night wanting to buy that last beer or essential...

I sent it to braddick who thought it may grade as high as G04! We were hopeful that we had found the holy grail (minus a few jewels). We were SHOCKED image when PCGS returned it as VF15!!! Indeed, as many of you pointed out, the scan has some detail in the hair and eagle's feathers that one would not expect on a lesser coin, but in person this coin looks like a well spent chain cent.

I'd give the prize to Greg but typical of his evil ways, he had INSIDER INFORMATION!!! He and Martha will be sharing office space in the near future !!!!!!! imageimage

So, there were several of you who guessed VF, but only sinin1 specified F12! The prize? The genuine satisfaction of knowing you can grade the The Best of the Worst!!! (This is one perfectly rotten clad Kennedy! Too bad the clad does not show up in the complete US type con set image) Congratulations!

Hoot
  • Options

<< <i>Alas! It approaches 11p.m. back east, so it's time! >>

Told you Greg.image

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I'm inspired.

-Time to get cracking. Time to get SERIOUS.

It's time for a "Modern Worse Known Registry".

peacockcoins

• Options
    I'd give the prize to Greg but typical of his evil ways, he had INSIDER INFORMATION!!! He and Martha will be sharing office space in the near future !!!!!!

Insider information? image I'm shocked at the allegations.

OK, so I knew the grade before it was posted. The coin looks VF to me and knowing PCGS's penchant for giving oddball grades to coins that typically don't circulate, I would have guessed either F15 or VF25.
  • Options
    The problem is that you have VF details, but the rims are worn into the letters, much like on GD and VG coins. Was the F a compromise grade?
    Keith ™

• Options
    The rim worn into lettering is a rather old way to grade coins. With the exception of AG/G coins, I don't think they take that into too much consideration. Looking at the center detail, this coin still has strong details. Clearly not a Good-ish coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file