Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 Coin & Chronicles Set – Franklin D. Roosevelt (FR9)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mint News Blog has posted some basic info on the 2014 Franklin D. Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set (FR9). Details are sketchy, and no pics of the packaging or silver medal shown.

2014 Franklin D. Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set

$57.95
No household order limits
Mintage limits: 20,000

It'll contain a 2014-S Proof FDR Brassbuck, a 2014-S proof clad dime, the bronze presidential medal, and a silver presidential medal (punched on an ASE blank.) The medals will be struck at the Philly Mint.

Oh, and four USPS stamps released at the time of his death. (Nothing more about the stamps, the article doesn't mention if they're repros or not.)

If it looks like the TR set released last year, I'll pick one up. Otherwise, it might get a pass. Unless the package pics say "Enhanced Uncirculated". HAhahahaha...

Comments

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I will buy one to go with my Teddy Roosevelt one. They sold only 15K of Teddy so they are basing that 20K probably on that set.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭
    This is very pricey! I bet it does not sell well.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

FDR had no lips??

Love the specs!!!

Mint Website Online Store
  • Options

<< <i>I will buy one to go with my Teddy Roosevelt one. They sold only 15K of Teddy so they are basing that 20K probably on that set. >>

Yeah, I've got a TR, I'll probably pick one of these up. The Coin & Chronicle sets the Mint produces are usually pretty nice. I wish they'd make them all in the same packaging, they're all over the map. If they all looked like the TR set, they'd look pretty nice on a bookshelf...
  • Options

<< <i>image
    Mint Website Online Store >>

They didn't have the page for the Coin and Currency set up until a couple days before they went on sale, and even then it wasn't done...
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, and four USPS stamps released at the time of his death. (Nothing more about the stamps, the article doesn't mention if they're repros or not.) >>

The stamps are likely originals. Face values are 1, 2, 3 and 5 cents, and sheets of 50 are easily found at low multiples of face.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

FDR had no lips??

Love the specs!!!

Mint Website Online Store >>

Apparently they shouldn't have had Frank Burns pose for FDR!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins, and even the medal will be worse, are going to be beat to crap.

I think medal to the Mint means the same thing as dreck to LS.

Buy many, keep one if you're lucky.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's odd that they put the Rumsfeld coin in the FDR set. At least the medal looks like FDR tho'.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will buy one to go with my Teddy Roosevelt one. They sold only 15K of Teddy so they are basing that 20K probably on that set. >>

The Teddy Roosevelt set was a bit disappointing. The silver medal was struck in low relief, which I have now learned, was the nature of the design. A few months later I bought a special issue of that medal in its original issue size in silver and saw how Charles Barber and George Morgan originally executed the design. They could have done it better, and the reduced size modern piece that was in the set reflected that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apparently they shouldn't have had Frank Burns pose for FDR! >>

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stamps offered by the mint will probably be originals.

The postage stamps of that period (1940's) are very common and sheets sell for face value.

My grandmother kept sheets of 3¢ stamps and I sold them on Ebay, they went for face value or less.

I bought the Theodore Roosevelt set and will probably purchase this one.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will not buy this issue... that dollar does not even closely resemble FDR.... would like the dime, but not worth that much for one clad dime...the rest of the set is trashy.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will not buy this issue... that dollar does not even closely resemble FDR.... would like the dime, but not worth that much for one clad dime...the rest of the set is trashy.... Cheers, RickO >>

Is the dime any different than what is in the PROOF set?
  • Options
    More details and actual pictures of the set.

2014 Coin & Chronicles Set – Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mintage Limit: None
    Product Limit: 20,000
    Household Order Limit: None

Yet another form factor for a Coin & Chronicles set. Every one is different. Someone should smack the guys who design these things. Still might get one, maybe I'll flip a coin the day before they get released...

Yes, I looked closely at the pics. Didn't see the word "Enhanced" anywhere.... HAhahahaha....

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Ya i'm out not in to stamps. That's where the $$$ may be. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image Ya i'm out not in to stamps. That's where the $$$ may be. image >>

Sound like they used original stamps, not reproduction.
  • Options
    Sound like they used original stamps, not reproduction.

Are really just assuming this?

If these are original stamps, I would think the set would be priced much higher.....but then, I know nothing of stamps.
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sound like they used original stamps, not reproduction.

Are really just assuming this?

If these are original stamps, I would think the set would be priced much higher.....but then, I know nothing of stamps. >>

Reproduction even better because they only make 20,000 pieces. Hehehehehe
  • Options
    The stamps are common enough.

Hopefully they are either well centered or way off center with original gum.

I hope the coins and medals are clean. I really hope the coins and medals are clean.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I already have the bronze. (I have all the presidential bronzes, except our current... uh...) It's the silver version that's interesting to me in this set.

That and I have every other Coin and Chronicle set, and the OCD in me... image
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monday at noon ET these go on sale. I'm getting one. Any body else in for these?

• Options

<< <i>Monday at noon ET these go on sale. I'm getting one. Any body else in for these? >>

No doubt. image

Think there may be a waiting room on Monday?
  • Options

Not anticipating one. Do the even have a waiting room any more?

• Options
    T minus 48
  • Options
    No waiting room LOLOL
    Complete by 12:01, email confirmation 12:16, Order USM028298xx

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it me, or does he look like Rumsfeld with glasses?
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    Bought one.

Probably won't buy next year's Truman, Johnson or Eisenhower. Might buy the Kennedy one.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm torn. Looks like another Mint pump & dump, and the market has got to be fairly saturated at this stage already.

I bought 2 of the Theodore Roosevelts, so I'm susceptible to these kind of offerings. The question is really one of ultimate demand.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I bought 2 of the Theodore Roosevelts, so I'm susceptible to these kind of offerings. >>

Sucker. I only bought one! image

Broke down and bought an FDR. Geez, I hope the four for four next year breaks me of this habit...
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be interested if the dime had a double date, was gold, and enhanced uncirculated.
  • Options
    I got the earlier Roosevelt because it was a first and it looked interesting. This one today fits too. The next 4 will make a nice limited series to collect. Maybe not as an investment for future profit but as an interesting series. Collect what you like, right?

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I placed my order just now for one Roosevelt set.
    It went through immediately with no "waiting room".

I noticed that the Civil Rights silver dollar was sold out.
    I didn't expect it to.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never have been much of a bronze medal guy, but the reverse of this looks good.

To me, anyway.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really am just not able to force myself to get this. Was this really the best portrait we could get for FDR?

Seems there should be a new wave of respect for Roosevelt Dime.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>I really am just not able to force myself to get this. Was this really the best portrait we could get for FDR?

Seems there should be a new wave of respect for Roosevelt Dime. >>

I just could not pull the trigger for this set, it did not inspire me with special uniqueness.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered one. May cancel. Can't decide...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    My credit card shows this:
    12/22/2014...US MINT COIN SALES-D...PROCESSING...$62.90
    Not pending like the Native American set did before it just disappeared. Maybe this will be a quick ship like the 4 coin Kennedy set. Ordered 10/28, shipped 10/29.
    The Mint order status page shows this:
    USM028298xx...$62.90...12/22/2014...This order contains 1 item...PROCESSING
    So if you are going to cancel Raufus, you might need to act fast. I have a feeling they have a bunch ready to go on day one.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I'll pass.

If the Mint came up with something like a 24k gold Kennedy, then they'd really have something image
  • Options
    I have an NGC PF70 Franklin Roosevelt Commemorative Gold Proof so this set will compliment it.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Oh baby this set is sweeeeeet. Even sweeter than the 50 States Spoon Collection that lets you eat your Cheerios
    every morning with a different Spoon for 50 days.

Oh I'm gonna load up my storeroom with these. Oh yeaaahhhh.

• Options
    Just received the email notification that it has shipped. Less than 26 hours from ordering.

• Options

<< <i>Just received the email notification that it has shipped. Less than 26 hours from ordering. >>

Same here.

And let me just say that I just returned four $1C&C sets to the mint (which fit very nicely in one of those priority VHS size boxes), and it got there in 3 days, less than half the time it takes smartpost to get to me from the same location. But am I complaining? Me? image
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>I got the earlier Roosevelt because it was a first and it looked interesting. >>

The TR set was the fourth I know of. I also have a 2005 John Marshall, a 2006 Ben Franklin, and a 2009 Lincoln Coin and Chronicles set. (The Lincoln set was exceptional. IMHO...)

<< <i>This one today fits too. The next 4 will make a nice limited series to collect. Maybe not as an investment for future profit but as an interesting series. Collect what you like, right? >>

Right. I just wish they'd standardize the size of the set. All four (five with the FDR) has a different size and shape.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some food for thought.

Only 20,000. image
    What new with this issue ? A presidential "silver" medal ?

Why such a low mintage and "late" release ? on a C & C Coin and Chronicle Set ? (the currency set mintage was 50,000)
    Will this sell out, or sell into the New Year ?
  • Options

<< <i>Some food for thought. >>

Food on Christmas? Whoda thought...

<< <i>Only 20,000. image
    What new with this issue ? A presidential "silver" medal ? >>

The bronze presidential punched on a ASE blank was done last year for the TR set. The stamps are new for a C&Ch set, but that's because FDR was a phil... philleth... A stamp collector. Stamps were also part of the 2004 Lewis and Clark Coin and Currency set (which had no real currency), but they were current issue stamps.

<< <i>Why such a low mintage and "late" release ? on a C & C Coin and Chronicle Set ? (the currency set mintage was 50,000)

Will this sell out, or sell into the New Year ? >>

The Mint released the 2013 TR set last year at this time, sale of the product ended in Aug 2014 and sold less than 16K. They would have sold a few more if they would have announced they were going to discontinue sales, but I think it was on sale one day, and not the next. From the Mint's point of view, 20K probably covers those interested. (I don't have any numbers for the previous 3 sets. I think the Lincoln sold well, but the Marshall I think died a quick death.)

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the Limited Edition Silver Proof Set 2014 still has a release date of "TBD"... I think this set will be "MIA"...
  • Options
    glancing at the coins and medals my first impressions of only 1 side:
    proof coins are of similar quality as those in proof sets. the first impression is spotting and frost breaks are holding these back from being terrific.

glancing at one side of the medals - tiny issues on some but for bigger pieces they look better on 1 side than the proof coins. In fact they look a whole lot better and even better than the T.R. medals

the stamps - I don't see a way to open their plastic tombs to swap them around, but these are mostly well centered with few issues, and those issues are on the perfs. most sides are seemingly hand torn, though I found one that had the perfs cut with a blade.

• Options
    So when did you receive your MsMorrisine? Mine looks like it will be here Monday. Less than a week from order to delivery. Not bad.

• Options
    friday.

I ordered a bunch thinking I'd need that many to put together 1 good set.

The proof coins may not make the 1 good set.

The medals should, although there are some shiny areas on the bronze version that I'd rather not be on there. Might not be much I can do about that as they may be on most all of them.

I don't see a way to swap the stamps around. most are VF at least.

the capsules all seem to be air-tite types. The coins are crooked in the fake velvet holders, but the fake velvet holders spin easily to re-orient the coins and medals

The medals are the same designs, but different metals. The bronze shows the reverse side and the silver shows the obverse side

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file