Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a Lincoln Civil War token that was struck this way. I can't see why this would not get a grade. My piece is a gold filled example that was probably struck for collectors after the 1864 election.
GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    What will prongs do to it?
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    I would think it could but I'd wait till someone else reply's that matters. lol
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe 70+?? More gold than the others??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Wire rims.

Lance.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those photos suck like mine.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as the wire edge is not damaged, it should grade properly. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

Cool! Wire rims.

Lance.

Good point. Same as the wire rims on some of the High Relief Saints. Both were caused by excess space between the die and the collar and extremely high striking pressure.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they all have that wire rim/ high relief edge?
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those rims may get folded over due to the malleability of 24K.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Regardless of the grade, I would not buy one.
    I consider that it negatively impacts the eye appeal.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Submit them as mint errors.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a file?

j/k
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DollarAfterDollar
    Get a file?

LOL

My PCGS 70 should arrive in a couple hours and I will see if there are fins on it.

j/k

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like that's going to be a huge problem. Id send it back to the mint. What a poor job they did with these. I guarantee you there was no intent of a wire rim. That's a mechanical error.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Maybe if you made the Moderator aware of you questions, he could bring them to the attention of the "powers that be", sort of an end-round play.
    Paul
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

They are my pictures, and I thought they were pretty decent. Oh well.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: GRANDAM

Originally posted by: pmac

Maybe if you made the Moderator aware of you questions, he could bring them to the attention of the "powers that be", sort of an end-round play.

I am working on it,,,,,

Send Don a PM letting him know about this thread. I'm sure this issue has been discussed in the grading room.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any thread with people chiming in as to whether their Mercs have this feature?

I'd like to know if this is the rule or the exception.

I looked at mine and it appears to have a raised metal fin in exactly the same spot as the jwitten photos.

• Options
    8 of the ten I received were finned from the L to the B in Liberty. I kept one that wasn't, therefore the finned ones will be a hit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 2009UHR
    8 of the ten I received were finned from the L to the B in Liberty. I kept one that wasn't, therefore the finned ones will be a hit.

The Centennial thread has dozens of people saying finning is quite common, so not to worry. The ones without fins, or messed up rims seem to be more difficult to find.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jwitten

I really liked your pictures and it allowed me to really see what the fuss was about. It would be very difficult to cover that much depth of field on such a small coin and not have some areas out of focus.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to know if the prongs damage the fins, so if you try a regrade...the 2nd time it would bag.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these years and the mint still releases coins with issues. Premium coins at a premium no less.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    So in essence, we're asking PCGS to grade the quality control, manufacturing processes, and material handling of the U.S. Mint.
    What's the point?
    Is this what coin collecting and TPG has become?
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send them in for conservation - the TPG will shave off the fin, grade the coin and sell the excess gold.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the images are excellent. They show exactly the area of interest.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB

I think the images are excellent. They show exactly the area of interest.

I agree. The pictures were obviously meant to show the finning, not the entire coin in clear focus, and they succeed at showing that finning. I found them educational since I didn't even take a close look at the ones I received to see if they had this finning or not.

I, for one, appreciated the pics, Jwitten.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: au58

So in essence, we're asking PCGS to grade the quality control, manufacturing processes, and material handling of the U.S. Mint.

What's the point?

Is this what coin collecting and TPG has become?

That is exactly what they do for all moderns, determine how well the mint has done it's job.

These finned Mercs should have never been released. Black eye for the mint. Glad I didn't participate.

• Options
    End around game. Photographer gets a YOU SUCK award due to my comments. image Gotcha boys.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: cmerlo1
    Submit them as mint errors.

Calling Fred Weinberg.
  • Options
    Yes, SP70's are being graded with finning, but no proof PCGS will call them errors.

Fin hype and big $$
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they're submitted under the Mint Error tier,

I'd call them "Finned Rim Obv.", and possibly put

'from 5:00 to 11:00', or whatever is appropriate.

Maybe 'Finned Wire Rim Obv.'

I haven't had any communication from PCGS about

these yet; I'm supposed to talk to David Hall today

about a different subject, and I'll ask him about these

Gold Merc. Finned Rims, if I do talk to him.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    The pictures of mine that sucked were of the obverse die markers on a Cheerios Sacagawea circa 2005..., through the blister pack that was used by MWallace for his small dollar site , and for a few years until JeremyKatz photos were used. Thanks Mike.... and this was long before PCGS would even call it a "cheerios" dollar. See Braddick, and DeLorey for details
    .... Needless to say, or explain, the photos are great to me. Why ? Because they show the "error" or "mechanical" problem in the minting of the coin.

Be that said, I don't mean to spark so much "ire" or attention with words like "Your pictures suck like mine"... , but it works. Right ?
  • Options
    Hypothetical question. If 80% of the coins are minted with finned rims on the obverse, and 20% don't have the finning, is the real error that the Mint somehow managed to mint 20% of them right?
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    Many moderns have finning to some degree. Pending Fred W's definitive answer my guess would have been that PCGS would not 70 these, but NGC would. Here are the definitions for the respective websites:

PCGS-70 As struck, with full strike.

NGC-70 A coin with no post-production imperfections at 5x magnification.

BTW those are the complete definition.

Although the dont always go by the written definition in my observation.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what they'll do.

But sounds like to me that it is a widespread problem that will have to be ignored when grading.

So it shouldn't affect the MS 70 grade IMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

Email David Hall and cc Don Willis and Mike Faraone. Their emails should be available on the PCGS Website.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: GRANDAM

I have, no answer yet.

don't hold your breath! image

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    You could always just submit them and see what you get back image
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    You could always just submit them and see what you get back image

Imagine that.
    What a novel idea.
    And then, if you don't like what they think (i.e., their opinion), you can spend more time and effort and money sending them back in for second and third opinions, then ask CAC what they think, and if you don't like any of that, come back on here and quibble some more.

PCGS will be grading the production process, not a coin.
  • Options
    I would ask some of the ones who have submitted, and gotten grades, if they have ones with finning and what happened.

Have you tried that yet?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    It would be nice if there was someone available to call and ask. Record profits should influence an improved process. Personslly, I don't care to send emails to the top and potentially receive no response nor would it seem appropriate to do so. I'm sure they're busy running things.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    In a seperate thread here ...2016 centennial gold....it is reported by "gold miners" he has an SP70 with fins all the way around. And, some bent fins where prongs attach.
    Check it out.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me the irregular finning is a mint defect.

Therefore, there is no way in my mind that a straight high grade is merited. Especially when compared to coins that do not exhibit the defect.

So, if I were running PCGS, I would simply "no grade" the finned pieces - or knock them down 5 points. This sends a strong message to our woefully inadequate US Mint and collectors will have to follow their lead.

We should expect excellence from the US Mint because they are charging a premium price for their carp.

JMHO

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Uh-oh....did GrandAm delete all his posts or was it "done for him"?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

I don't know if I like this "delete posts " thing , when posts disappear its very confusing.

• Options
    I have my PCGS SP70 and have studied it very carefully, and I believe PCGS did correctly grade it to be a SP70, "fully as struck". Clearly it was a nice strike and had no defects except for finning. Actually it is a super strike, so hard that it made fins all around to various degrees.

By definition, an "error" is supposed to be something done by mistake. In this case, since so many coins have this result, it is doubtful that it is a Mint error in the pure sense, but simply the Mint has lowered their standards. PCGS is grading these as they see them based if they are "fully as struck" and looking for defects if they find any, and I have no argument with the grade and their decision to slab them as well as they can under the circumstances.
  • Options

Another kind of "sucks" doesn't it ? I got all confused coming back here image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

By definition, an "error" is supposed to be something done by mistake. In this case, since so many coins have this result, it is doubtful that it is a Mint error in the pure sense, but simply the Mint has lowered their standards. PCGS is grading these as they see them based if they are "fully as struck" and looking for defects if they find any, and I have no argument with the grade and their decision to slab them as well as they can under the circumstances.

Explain that to the folks that submitted all those extra high relief GAE's that got rejected by PCGS and NGC.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

No, Bill started a thread about his Lincoln Civil War token

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file