Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

IHC error?

Error Guys......what's going on here? Just a strike thru on the obverse or something else?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashamed to say, I didn't even notice the missing portions of the obverse legend until I read the Prof's post. I was focused on the "dished" look and raised rim area at the top of the obverse.

Neat looking coin. Even without the error, I like the look of it. There's just something about those nicer circ CN Indians. The color, I guess. I like 'em the same way I like a nice crusty VF Morgan or CircCam silver.

(Oh, sorry. Was I babbling again?)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, greased die.

not sure about the rim
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grease.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect it is a tapered thin planchet. Can we get an edge shot adjacent to the thin area?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darn - once again, the Capt. beats me to it.

It's not a filled die - it's a taped thin planchet.

It will weigh less than it should, when you put it on

a scan, in either grams or grains.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darn... I would have thought grease filled initially ...thanks Capt. and Fred...

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

I suspect it is a tapered thin planchet. Can we get an edge shot adjacent to the thin area?

Thanks Capt. I thought it was more than a filled die. I won't have it in hand for a couple days. I will post pic and weight when I get it.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I was going to go with broadstruck, but the experts saved me from embarassing myself.image
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Neat Indian.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Update: 4.46 grams is the weight. Supposed to be 4.7. Can't get a good close-up, sorry.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the proper weight of the coin should be 4.66 grams, according to the Redbook.

(don't mean to be picky)

It's about 4 grains light,which makes sense,

based on what the tapered end portion looks like.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, what Fred and Tom said. The neat little rim cuds on the obverse are a nice bonus, too.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Darn nice grab as I was just looking at one just exactly like yours. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ProfHaroldHill
    I'm still not clear on how it's being theorized that the metal flows all the way to the rim, yet does *not* fill the letters in "OF AMERICA".

Is the weakness in the denticles the visual 'key' to tapered planchet, not filled die?

I see where you answered your own question below, but something else to remember is that these planchets went through an upsetting process prior to striking to help move metal into the rim and ensure it is struck up. That is why the rim is partially formed but the denticles are nonexistent.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Nice 1903!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Thanks Capt, I'm glad now I set that one aside.

Sean, I think what threw me off on the first example was the appearance of the partial denticles. I knew there should be a partial rim, but I was bothered by the appearance of the partial denticles. Clearly then, there must have been enough metal in the adjoining areas to flow over to the edge, on Manorcourtman's coin. While metal is in a fluid state, it can do strange things, ("strange" at least, when viewed from the usual perspective of it's solid state.)

So I'm guessing the tapered planchets would most likely have come from the beginning, or the end, of the strip, after it had been rolled out to its working thickness, prior to blanking(?)

That is the presumption.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

So I'm guessing the tapered planchets would most likely have come from the beginning, or the end, of the strip, after it had been rolled out to its working thickness, prior to blanking(?)

That is the presumption.

I would throw in the sides of the strip as well, but otherwise yes, you are spot on.

Sean Reynolds

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file