Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964-D Peace Dollar Paradox ??

If a real one does ever surface, who would, and how would they, be expert enough to assert, and prove, that it is real, and would you believe them? I mean, how can someone say something is genuine, if they have never seen one before? Is there anyone in this hobby that you have enought faith in to believe?

Comments

• Options
    The Mint.
  • Options
    One already did surface, according to CoinWorld. It is in Croatia.
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options

<< <i>One already did surface, according to CoinWorld. It is in Croatia. >>

Have more info on this?

<< <i>The Mint. >>

How'd that work out for the Langbords? image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    I didnt say it was perfect or ideal... Just that it would be one way of doing it... I dont recommend it personally.image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could just compare it to mine-
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The safest way to do it would be to rent a bank box in Switzerland, then send RWB a plane ticket (first class both ways, of course) and ask him to come and authenticate it in person.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>The Mint. >>

Do they still have the dies? That might work. Wasn't thinking image

Croatia - it could buy the whole place, but who would want it ? lol image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They could just compare it to mine- >>

That's a 62, really.
    Lance.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That's a 62, really.
    Lance. >>

come on, you know the TPGs give the ultra rarites a few points image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's a 62, really.
    Lance. >>

come on, you know the TPGs give the ultra rarites a few points image >>

In a few more years it will be a Matte Proof
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    gonna have to resubmit a few times to get it matte proof - maybe never, but you can always try I guess
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real paradox (irony, actually) is this:

If you had one that was made by the US Mint, it would be illegal to own (and subject to immediate confiscation).

But these that I made by using my Denver Mint coin press to over-strike genuine 1922-1926 Peace dollars, are (potentially) legal to own:
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They could just compare it to mine-
    image >>

THAT got an MS63???? image

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The real paradox (irony, actually) is this:

If you had one that was made by the US Mint, it would be illegal to own (and subject to immediate confiscation).

But these that I made by using my Denver Mint coin press to over-strike genuine 1922-1926 Peace dollars, are (potentially) legal to own:
    image >>

Potentially?

Since the coin was never released and therefore does not exist, is it still legal to produce these without the word "COPY" Daniel?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The real paradox (irony, actually) is this:

image >>

Potentially?

Since the coin was never released and therefore does not exist, is it still legal to produce these without the word "COPY" Daniel? >>

That is the question that nobody can (or wants) to answer !
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting technicality. If they were never produced/issued, then there could be no copy. (You cannot copy something that does not exist) Actually, it would be legal unless one tried to use it as currency.. then it would be counterfeit, and illegal, subject to penalties as prescribed by law. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting technicality. If they were never produced/issued, then there could be no copy. (You cannot copy something that does not exist) Actually, it would be legal unless one tried to use it as currency.. then it would be counterfeit, and illegal, subject to penalties as prescribed by law. Cheers, RickO >>

They were definitely produced, and at least two existed for several years before being destroyed by the Mint Lab.

As for authenticating one, give me the coin and a 48-hour head start and I'll get back to you......

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    "As for authenticating one, give me the coin and a 48-hour head start and I'll get back to you......"

48-hour head start? What are using public transportation?

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    stinkinlincoln, The Mint has a terrible track record for such declarations

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint. >>

Usually the Secret Service performs the authentication services for the U. S. government.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    ...then send RWB a plane ticket (first class both ways, of course) and ask him to come and authenticate it in person.

That's a good start! image There would also be a modest, but appropriate, examination fee, certification fee, recording fee, title fee, subtitle fee, magnification fee, lighting fee, internet fee, extranet fee, paper fee, documentation fee, canton fee, bar fee, maintenance fee, renewal fee, and other minor fees to cover insurance, contingencies and allergy to airline food.

On the serious side, there are several diagnostic features that have not been published that differentiate 1964-D dollars struck at Denver from imitations and altered coins such as 1934 or 1924 dollars. Descriptions and related material are carefully locked away and will not be disclosed. They can be used to authenticate any real 1964-D dollars that show up.

The really sad part is that various mint directors were so “closed minded” that they did not see the value in retaining the last two held by the Technology Office, or donate them to the Smithsonian.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The really sad part is that various mint directors were so “closed minded” that they did not see the value in retaining the last two held by the Technology Office, or donate them to the Smithsonian. >>

Yes, that would have been great, but even as late as the Bicentennial, prototype silver clad coins that did not have mint marks were consigned to the melting pot. Government bearcats often have little sense of history.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Bill,
    Destruction lists show that much more than bicentennial coins without mintmarks were ruined. Try 12-sided Ikes, small Ikes, 2-cent pieces, pattern nickels, Liberty dollars in multiple sizes and formats. Peace dollars in .800 fine, etc., etc.
  • Options
    I guess this thread would make all of us conspiracy theorists huh?

Does that mean youre all nuts?image

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>[...] Try 12-sided Ikes [...] >>

Ooh! A dodecaikeahedron!
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting technicality. If they were never produced/issued, then there could be no copy. (You cannot copy something that does not exist) Actually, it would be legal unless one tried to use it as currency.. then it would be counterfeit, and illegal, subject to penalties as prescribed by law. Cheers, RickO >>

But the ones I made are legal currency - since they are struck over genuine legal-tender US Peace silver dollars.
  • Options
    I don't believe there's any problem with Daniel Carr's overstruck pieces. He's not making any claim that could be false or misleading.

Concerning counterfeits, the key parts were denomination, nationality and design. The date is only incidental, so long as the approved design remains legal tender. [This is from a Treasury Dept attorney’s opinion in the 1940s – so it’s just historical.]
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have talked to one person whom I believe 100% that said they have seen one.
    I have asked two others whom I suspect have, and their non-answers convince me they have too.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Mint. >>

Usually the Secret Service performs the authentication services for the U. S. government. >>

Back in the early 80s I had a Secret Service agent in the Summer Seminar counterfeit detection class I was teaching. I asked him why he was there, and he said that the Service wanted to learn something about counterfeits so that they did not have to send everything over to the Mint for a determination.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file