Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DCarr 1964-D Peace Dollar overstikes.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone had PCGS encapsulate this issue or are they all still raw??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question Al, I have not seen any slabbed pieces.... I should have purchased one of these when first offered... just as a curio... I know I have no chance of getting a real one....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think only ANACS on that. I left mine alone in flip...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never happen
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does PCGS stand for again ?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only Dan Carr Fantasy strikes I have seen encapulated are in ANACS or ICG holders.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until their legal status is certain PCGS would be wise to refrain from encapsulating them.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Never happen

really?? I believe the only reason none are in PCGS holders is because no one is aware that they will encapsulate them and no one has tried.

PCGS will grade listings according to their list if you have the the correct publication. I just received mine in the mail on Friday for something unrelated and the 1964-D Peace Dollar overstrike by DCarr is included in the listings within the proper context. I see no reason why they would go against what they clearly outline on their "PCGS Submission Guidelines" page.

I don't have any DCarr pcs. so I can't submit them.
  • Options
    Basically they are mutilated undated peace dollars. IF you can detect a 1923 (or so) underdate (you can on one of mine), PCGS would probably details slab it as " Damaged". When these first came out I showed one to JA and he "graded" it SP68
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do have some of the DCarr pieces, and I do intend to submit them to PCGS at some point, but right now, I'm submitting other esoteric pieces related to an ongoing Showcase collection.

Having had a number of very esoteric pieces properly graded and encapsulated by PCGS, I have no doubt that PCGS will slab these, and NOT in "Details" holders. I expect that PCGS will NOT label them as Peace dollars at all, but as privately minted tokens. (In essence, the underlying U.S. Mint-issued Peace dollar just serves as the planchet for the token)

The piece below is another esoteric item, a privately minted token, created to present a design concept for the new golden dollar coins. It was not made by the U.S. Mint (or the official mint of any foreign country), has no legal tender value, and was produced with a lower mintage than the DCarr "1964" pieces, yet it was encapsulated by PCGS with its proper designation as a token.

• Options
    I would expect it to be called a Fantasy Token with the appropriate catalogue number and most likely a brief description as a DCarr strike.

to be sure, I don't necessarily agree with the striking of these pieces but they are popular here, so I am surprised no one has had them encapsulated since they are eligible. many of Dan's fantasy strikes and some of his other Tokens are also eligible. in light of a recent thread about some members having them tone I would wonder why they aren't "stored" in a PCGS capsule??
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Having had a number of very esoteric pieces properly graded and encapsulated by PCGS, I have no doubt that PCGS will slab these, and NOT in "Details" holders. I expect that PCGS will NOT label them as Peace dollars at all, but as privately minted tokens. (In essence, the underlying U.S. Mint-issued Peace dollar just serves as the planchet for the token)

You've got to be joking. When is this going to happen?

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a great photo, but I really like the holder.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ambro51
    Never happen

I hope you are right. These "things" are not real and should not even be allowed....much less put in coin holders!

• Options
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

Not joking at all -- the pieces are duly listed in a token variety reference book that PCGS acknowledged in a written press release that they would accept for attributions of tokens when those tokens are submitted.

Now, as far as being overstruck on something, and NOT being listed as Post-Mint Damage, check out the Cert Verification for this one:

Not only did PCGS acknowledge on the label that the coin was overstruck on something else, they gave it a straight grade of MS66+BN, and it sold for nearly a quarter-million in the Pogue Auction. BTW, the coin was also approved by CAC as described on the label!!
  • Options
    as I said, I am not a fan of Dan's work but it is still of high quality, collectible and enjoyed by many people. guys, there comes a time when you just have to stop swimming upstream.
  • Options
    The piece below is neither a coin, nor struck on one, but a creation from defaced dies, yet PCGS not only graded it, but even created a Registry Set for it and its related items --

There are also numerous "So-Called Dollars" that are basically replicas of U.S. coins of earlier eras, such as Continental Dollars and $50 Gold Territorial Slugs. Those are identified in a numismatic reference book that is acknowledged by PCGS, and so those get holdered by PCGS as well. The only real difference, is that the DCarr pieces are of more recent creation.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Bought and sold tons of DCarr restrikes, not swimming upstream on anything. Jeez, last I knew, DCarr was soliciting PCGS for potential slabbing as posted on this board. Last I saw, not yet successful, hope abounds for many.
  • Options
    I know some will disagree with me, but I think PCGS slabbing these is a good thing, as they will label them correctly to avoid confusion. They are already out there, so wouldn't a properly labeled holder clarify their status as mere tokens, not to be confused with the real thing?

Can you imagine if PCGS slabbed these as PMD. The label would read something like "Peace Dollar, Genuine, Damaged," and the unsuspecting buyer is told, "Yes" just look at the damage on the "D" mint mark -- someone tried to make it bolder, and ended up kind of doubling it!"

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they don't, as I get most of mine slabbed for the protection.
    Although I did self slab this
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought and sold tons of DCarr restrikes, not swimming upstream on anything. Jeez, last I knew, DCarr was soliciting PCGS for potential slabbing as posted on this board. Last I saw, not yet successful, hope abounds for many.

I talked to David Hall about it a couple times briefly (two to three years ago after their "tokens and medals" press release came out).
    All I did was ask him if they would "certify" them.
    I didn't get any firm answer at the time, and I didn't press the issue.

I never tried submitting one, so I don't know what would happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Twobitcollector
    I'm surprised they don't, as I get most of mine slabbed for the protection.
    Although I did self slab this

I like that image

And it won't rotate in the holder either image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my D. Carr pieces slabbed by ANACS to keep them protected, I would rather have them in PCGS holders, but...
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    PCGS may have a hard time explaining to Mr. Carr how a piece he took from the press with white cotton gloves doesn't make better than MS67
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cardinal
    The piece below is neither a coin, nor struck on one, but a creation from defaced dies, yet PCGS not only graded it, but even created a Registry Set for it and its related items --

There are also numerous "So-Called Dollars" that are basically replicas of U.S. coins of earlier eras, such as Continental Dollars and $50 Gold Territorial Slugs. Those are identified in a numismatic reference book that is acknowledged by PCGS, and so those get holdered by PCGS as well. The only real difference, is that the DCarr pieces are of more recent creation.

If I recall correctly, the Bashlow "Confederate Cent" restrikes were actually made from transfer dies. In addition, regarding the original "Confederate Cents", some researchers doubt they were ever actually made for the Confederacy, but instead were made for sale to collectors in the years immediately following the Civil War. The real truth will probably never be known.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    someone needs to step up to the plate and send one in, PCGS states that they will certify it so I take them at their word. who will be first??
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Cool and Interesting!...100% if I had one I would send it in tomorrow! Can't wait to see one man image
  • Options
    PCGS may have a hard time explaining to Mr. Carr how a piece he took from the press with white cotton gloves doesn't make better than MS67

Not all of them get the "white glove" treatment.
    I also produce a class of "bulk-handled" pieces which are intentionally jingled around with other coins. Those often grade MS63 or so.
  • Options
    Ok.....what's the PCGS coin number? Gotta get past that line on the submission form first.....
  • Options
    using the online submission form, if a Token hasn't been submitted yet to PCGS there will be no coin number assigned. if you were to submit one that "first line" would be something like what's below:

--- Token X-383 Silver Daniel Carr Fantasy Overstrike 1964-D.

that might not be exact, but it will give PCGS the information required to reference the submission and it will probably be close to what appears on the insert. as Dan said above, he last spoke with HRH a few years ago and the Publication they are using was probably new or had just been re-issued in a new edition. included are 5+ pages of Daniel Carr issues with pictures and descriptions. I will be mailing a submission this morning with items referenced from the catalogue and only one assigned a "coin number" when I used the online submission formed, telling me none had been graded yet.

I can surmise what the number will be by using the number for the listing just prior to my item(s) in the catalogue, but PGCS may have their own unique way to do that. if I were to use that line of thinking I would assign the following number to the DCarr pc. in question: 600464. how did I get that number?? there are 216 catalogue listings between the Concept Dollar on page one and the DCarr overstrike, I just added the two, but there might be sub-listings with a suffix which show up when new items are submitted that would change things.

• Options
    Originally posted by: keets
    using the online submission form, if a Token hasn't been submitted yet to PCGS there will be no coin number assigned. if you were to submit one that "first line" would be something like what's below:
    --- Token X-383 Silver Daniel Carr Fantasy Overstrike 1964-D.

that might not be exact, but it will give PCGS the information required to reference the submission and it will probably be close to what appears on the insert. as Dan said above, he last spoke with HRH a few years ago and the Publication they are using was probably new or had just been re-issued in a new edition. included are 5+ pages of Daniel Carr issues with pictures and descriptions. I will be mailing a submission this morning with items referenced from the catalogue and only one assigned a "coin number" when I used the online submission formed, telling me none had been graded yet.

I can surmise what the number will be by using the number for the listing just prior to my item(s) in the catalogue, but PGCS may have their own unique way to do that. if I were to use that line of thinking I would assign the following number to the DCarr pc. in question: 600464. how did I get that number?? there are 216 catalogue listings between the Concept Dollar on page one and the DCarr overstrike, I just added the two, but there might be sub-listings with a suffix which show up when new items are submitted that would change things.

Actually, that's not how PCGS assigns PCGS numbers! I know that, as due to my submissions over the past few years have resulted in PCGS assigning a couple hundred new PCGS Coin Numbers. When I submitted a large group (nearly 100 pieces) of tokens listed in the Rulau book all at once, PCGS assigned Coin Numbers that were essentially in numerical order (including numbers for "brown," "red brown," and "red" for the copper tokens). Then when I sent in a later submission of the same type of tokens, the PCGS Coin Numbers assigned to those also were in general numeric order, but were completely different than the first group.

I have been told that PCGS does NOT assign Coin Numbers until they have (or expect to have) submissions for a particular coin. So, there are no spaces reserved for coins that exist but have not been submitted to PCGS as yet.
  • Options
    that's pretty much what I would expect, I only wanted to respond to ambro with an idea of what it might be and give him his requested number. those members who have a hard time with this thread are only expressing their dislike of the DCarr items, it has nothing to do with whether they are eligible for certification and anything related to that. it's silly, really.

anyone who has ever submitted an item to PCGS knows that if you leave off something like a coin number the coins will still be graded, it just slows the process. it's the same here and I believe ambro knows that. he just doesn't like DCarr 1964-D overtsikes.
  • Options
    I look forward to seeing these slabbed by PCGS.... they are legitimate tokens made legally by an excellent artist....I will never understand the animosity held by a few against these pieces... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    I look forward to seeing these slabbed by PCGS.... they are legitimate tokens made legally by an excellent artist....I will never understand the animosity held by a few against these pieces... Cheers, RickO

The good thing is it's only a few haters. The majority realize the legitimacy of Dans work including PCGS. Some people just need something in their lives to be disgruntled about.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok.....what's the PCGS coin number? Gotta get past that line on the submission form first.....

As of Jan 2016 the PCGS coin number is optional on a submission form.

Lance.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I have two of the "1916" barber halves that are still in their original flips from DCarr. I like them. I would like them protected in a better holder.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Keets if you want to do the legwork and pay the fee$ ill send you my 64 D for you to "send in". To further test the water ill send my 2007 20$ trade. Up for it?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i havent seen any. could take a look on the bay or keep an eye on it and see what happens.
  • Options
    ambro, why would I pay your submission fees??

the thread has really turned stupid after I asked a simple question. I'm not out to prove anything as you seem to think, I just asked a question and answered some baseless statements with information that might help members understand why I believe PCGS will now encapsulate these Tokens. hopefully a member(s) who owns one of the DCarr overstrikes and would like it encapsulated by PCGS will now be encouraged to do so.

anyone who needs any other pertinent information should feel free to send me a PM, but you'll have to pay your own submission fees.
  • Options
    To further test the water ill send my 2007 20$ trade

I couldn't reply to this while I was at work, the catalogue was at home. this is also listed as X-399 and I have no doubt that PCGS would also encapsulate it. the first line would be as follows:

--- Token X-399 Silver Daniel Carr Fantasy Trade Dollar 2007-D.

• Options
    Well, I figure it's been enough theorizing!

Since I have been the one prompting PCGS to create new Coin Numbers for token submissions, I will submit the 1964-D's I have to PCGS pronto, and then we will have the final answer in due time!!
  • Options
    It would be interesting if you have one with a visible under date to submit is as That.
  • Options
    It IS interesting that with the undeniable PCGS value added effect this is not already rampant, obviously beginning with Mr. Carr having a front row seat. He can determine his 70s.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cardinal

Not joking at all -- the pieces are duly listed in a token variety reference book that PCGS acknowledged in a written press release that they would accept for attributions of tokens when those tokens are submitted.

Now, as far as being overstruck on something, and NOT being listed as Post-Mint Damage, check out the Cert Verification for this one:

I find it interesting that this is overstruck on a cent sized token that was cut down and used by the US mint to strike half cents! Thanks for posting an awesome example.

Not only did PCGS acknowledge on the label that the coin was overstruck on something else, they gave it a straight grade of MS66+BN, and it sold for nearly a quarter-million in the Pogue Auction. BTW, the coin was also approved by CAC as described on the label!!

• Options
    It IS interesting that with the undeniable PCGS value added effect this is not already rampant

I think this thread is evidence enough for why none have been sent in, it is apparent that no one knew they were eligible. I have looked at the "Publication" list on the submission page quite a few times and never noticed the book until cardinal told me about it. once the word gets out and a few Tokens are shown in PCGS holders I imagine more members will go that route.
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭
    For those who don't have the reference book, what Carr pieces are listed? Is it just the 64D Peace?
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there would be a NICE financial windfall to the sellers of the first couple PC70 Carr 64-D pieces.
  • Options
    For those who don't have the reference book, what Carr pieces are listed? Is it just the 64D Peace?

as I said in an earlier post, there are about five pages of listings, too many to post here.
  • Options
    ........as General McClellan and his staff officers pondered the depth of a river the army needed to cross, none knew how deep it was. Plans were made to bring up topographic engineers and more staff....young Lt. George Armstrong Custer galloped down and went to midstream. Then he yelled back "This is how deep it is General!"
  • Options
    It would be interesting if, when many dcarr '64 Peace dollars are sent in for slabbing, if a REAL '64 piece was slipped in for slabbing....image Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file