Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay seller to avoid - codyp2000

Please note I wouldn't ever start a thread like this without doing research beyond the issue that I had with the seller. So I had a PM Chat with Storm last night who uncovered other issues to back up my small-time issue with this seller - codyp2000

Here's what happened yesterday:
At 10am I saw a card listed as:
1957 TOPPS #94 RAYMOND BERRY COLTS ROOKIE VG...and it was a BIN for $25

So I looked at the picture and the card looked good. I figured it had minor paper loss on the back or something. Here is the link
Ray Berry

I sent him a question:
"Is the card photo the one that I would be receiving? I couldn't tell from the way it's described. Thanks."

He replied:
"YES-all cards are, sellers must post it if they use stock photos."

So about 2 hours later, I sold something and had the money in my paypal account so I go back to pick up the card and he changed the description to: 1957 TOPPS #94 RAYMOND BERRY COLTS ROOKIE EX...and DOUBLED the price from $25 to $50

So I sent him a question:
"Did you just double the price on this? I just came back to buy it."

He replies:
"Yes the grade was typed in wrong. Thanks for the heads up. Bill image "

So I reply:
"Oh come on. That's a bit below board, don't you think? It's an EX card. I was asking an honest question to confirm it was the card I wanted for my set. I can't do this for more than $30. I would appreciate you reconsidering. Thank you "

And he comes back with:
"Hi Mike- Im not trying to punish you, but a mistake was made during typing, if you had bought it before Id have had no choice but to sell it for that. But fact o9f the matter is; until you buy it, it's my card to do as I want. It's an open market and others are available if you dont want it. Look at this "Nrmint" one for $75. 1957 Topps #94 Raymond Berry RC Baltimore Colts HOF NM Item number: 270330526199 Mine is otherwise nrmint/mint with a quarter inch surface wrinkle that I couldnt see without a magnifying glass. Regards....Bill"

So I finish with:
"Bill, I'm a low limit player in the game of card collecting, so this won't hurt you in the least...but I'll be adding you to my blocked list for buying and selling. Not only do I feel you were trying to squeeze me as a potential buyer for more money, but by mentioning that you noticed a small surface wrinkle (thus insuring that the card would grade VG - which was your original description by the way) has now convinced me that you're not someone to do business with. It's a tough economy out there and sellers like you will surely be the first to go under. I wish you no success in the future. "

And he replies:
"Ok GOOD. Same here."

Storm then did some research and uncovered the following:
Toolhaus liting for this seller

and he came to the following conclusion:
Some of his FB is about wrinkles and creases that
were not advertised.

That toolhaus run only went back a couple+ years;
timed out.

His responses to complainers show he is a piece of GARBAGE.

The guy is NG.

Now, as for my issue...I wouldn't have an HUGE issue with the guy if he simply entered a NM card in as VG and took time after my question to inspect the card...although I would expect maybe a small olive branch on the price...but once he disclosed the surface wrinkle which wasn't listed in the original description AFTER doubling the price, my mind was made up that the seller isn't worth dealing with.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is $25 signficantly lower than the card is worth? The timing does sound suspicious, though, but if $25 was a "steal" for the card maybe he is telling the truth...I can't understand why a seller would double the price on a card just because he received an e-mail about it.

Edit: Ok, I also see where he chnged the grade in the listing from VG to EX, so that explains the price increase...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I also know at one time he was squeezing buyers of multiple items and charging the full shipping on EACH card and would not budge. I think he has changed his policy on that but he made some good extra dough in the meantime. I tried buying from him a couple of times about 3-4 years ago and both times the card was VERY overgraded and was difficult to tell by his scans. Since then, I have always just passed by his auctions no matter how badly I could use the card. I just know I'd be over paying so why should I bother. I avoid him at all costs.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is $25 signficantly lower than the card is worth? The timing does sound suspicious, though, but if $25 was a "steal" for the card maybe he is telling the truth...I can't understand why a seller would double the price on a card just because he received an e-mail about it. >>

I think $25 is fair for a nice looking VG example of the card...I just wanted it for TTM anyway. My whole issue really centers on the undisclosed surface wrinkle which is what makes the card VG to begin with. Basically the seller realized he had a good looking card and was trying to squeeze EX money out of it knowing that it had an attribute that insures it's a VG card.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand your point, but PSA allows for a surface wrinkle on EX graded cards, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That's some nasty feedback, I won't deal with anyone who resorts to name calling no matter what. Thanks for the warning.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    He's right, its his card, but there is a right way to do business, and then there's his way, thanks for the heads up, I won't be buying from him either!

Mike

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Sellers who call their PITA customers nasty names in FB are ONLY
    damaging themselves.

I KNOW how tempting it is, but it DOES hurt sales.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I think this guy used to go by another name, and his old ID got trashed when he started charging outrageous shipping fees. He is from Central PA. He is a turd.

***edited because I'm not certain he used another ID. I am still certain he is a turd.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the seller mishandled the situation and Mike remained professional and civil throughout.

On the subject of the wrinkle, even though Joe Orlando has written in at least one SMR magazine that a wrinkle automatically knocks a card down to a 4, I have had at least 2 wrinkled cards come back from PSA in 5 (EX) holders. I've also had a GAI Mint 9 with a very noticeale wrinkle right down the middle of the card.

What I'm saying here is that grading is strictly subjective. The "VG rule" for wrinkled cards is an arbitrary standard imposed by PSA and others, I'm sure; but it still remains a matter of opinion. That said, the seller most definitely should have mentioned the wrinkle in the listing.
    Brett
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets all inquire about a different card of his and watch him price himself out of the market. image
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree that the seller mishandled the situation and Mike remained professional and civil throughout.

On the subject of the wrinkle, even though Joe Orlando has written in at least one SMR magazine that a wrinkle automatically knocks a card down to a 4, I have had at least 2 wrinkled cards come back from PSA in 5 (EX) holders. I've also had a GAI Mint 9 with a very noticeale wrinkle right down the middle of the card.

What I'm saying here is that grading is strictly subjective. The "VG rule" for wrinkled cards is an arbitrary standard imposed by PSA and others, I'm sure; but it still remains a matter of opinion. That said, the seller most definitely should have mentioned the wrinkle in the listing. >>

Ive got a perfect centered, perfect corners, Griffey Upper Deck Rookie with a surface wrinkle on the back, graded a 6. Got the same thing in a Frank Thomas, graded a 5, so they are not consistent on that either
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up Mike.
  • Options
    Seller sounds like a douche. You handled it extremely well Mike, good job.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I bought from them once, and only once.

CodyP, Kruk, Kit Young, etc ad nueseum.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    I bought quite a few nice 75 Topps baseball singles a few years back when I was upgrading the commons/minor stars. I don't remember being charged a ridiculously high shipping cost and his descriptions were accurate so I dunno, he did ok with me but perhaps he just remembered that I spent a couple hundred dollars with him and he gave me a bit of a break.
  • Options

Sellers who call their PITA customers nasty names in FB are ONLY
    damaging themselves.

I KNOW how tempting it is, but it DOES hurt sales.

Yup, I'll never buy from them.

Those that act that way never get my bids.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I bought from him on Ebay before and the cards were badly overgraded. Then I bought a bunch of commons from him off Sportlots that were supposed to be NM and many were creased. At that point, I just decided I was done. He is another seller in a long line who overgrade and if the customer complains they will give a refund. They count on people not complaining. They think they are brilliant business men but in reality they are just short terming their "business" as people like you and me and others who have posted, just stop buying from them.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Mike, Thanks for the heads up. He won't ever get any of my business.

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    He's an unqualified douchebag.

RB
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I bought some raw cards from him years ago. Needless to say don't buy NM raw from anyone who also sells graded cards. They were 50's cards and this was atleast 5 years back. Many of the cards I bought were rejected as trimmed by PSA.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, Thanks for the heads up. I'll pass by his cards when looking
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    dmatcdmatc Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Although I read these boards regularly I am not a regular poster but I couldn't
    resist sharing my run in with codyp2000 with you-all.

About 6 years ago when I was trying to complete my run of Topps sets I won 14 auctions
    for 1957 Topps commons from Bill. When the package arrived it included 12 cards and a
    refund for 1 card. Apparently he doesn't have very good organizational skills either.
    I had bought a few cards from him before so I knew they would be slightly overgraded
    but they still fit in OK with my EX set.

I emailed him for a couple of weeks about the missing card with no reply. I finally
    called him and he said he would mail the card the next day. 4 weeks later I still
    hadn't received the card. I left him negative feedback and he retalites with 2 NEGS -

Buyer Dec-09-02 17:59: Won 14 items on 10/13...Received only 12...Called seller but still no card.
    Reply: TALKED TO YOU ON SATURDAY CARD WAS SENT MONDAY- WHATS THE PROBLEM?
    Follow-up: We talked on Nov 3rd...125+ Neg Seller can't keep his ripoffs straight

Seller: codyp2000 - BUYER CLAIMED CARD NOT RECEIVED - NEGGED ME OVER A LOST CARD THAT I SHIPPED
    Reply: Retaliatory FB from Seller with 200 Neg/Neutrals...Won 14 items, only rec'd 12
    Follow-up: When I sent your Virdon Card Nov 4th you were only missing one, Now its 2? IDIOT

Seller: codyp2000 - HE CALLED ABOUT OVERLOOKED CARD, I SENT IT, HE NEGS ME A MONTH LATER GO FIGURE
    Reply: If item was received, Neg FB would not have been left...It's not a hard concept

Needless to say I wasn't happy with the negative feedbacks or the name calling but it
    was tame compared to his venomous e-mails. Over the course of the next few weeks we
    exchanged a few more negatives until he finally realized that as a seller they were
    hurting him more than they were me -

Buyer: Didn't receive an item & left Neg FB, Seller retaliated on 2 RECEIVED items
    Reply: YOUR "MISSING" CARD WAS SENT IMMEDIATELY- YOURE JUST AN PUTZ
    Follow-up: Received 3 Neg FB's, Abusive E-mails, & Name Calling...Not Received - THE ITEM

Seller: codyp2000 - HE CALLED ABOUT OVERLOOKED CARD, I SENT IT, HE NEGS ME A MONTH LATER - MORON
    Reply: 3rd Retalitory Neg FB left by Abusive, Profane, eBay sanctioned "Power Seller".

Buyer: Didn't receive an item & left Neg FB, Seller retaliated on THREE Received items
    Reply: YOU CALLED ABOUT AN OVERLOOKED CARD, I SENT IT, THEN NEG ME A MONTH LATER??????

After my experience with this seller the "Power Seller" status seemed to me to be more of an
    eBay joke than anything else. I've also got a little better picture of this person since this
    encounter from his "ME" page. Whenever I run across one of his auctions I check his ME page
    and he always has a picture of his dogs and sometimes a picture of his girlfiend. He has had
    at least 3 different ones but just can't seem to hang on to any of them. Before he posted a
    picture of his newest girlfriend he had a picture of him with his old girlfriend and he had
    pasted a grotesque clownface on her head. I can't imagine why anyone would leave such a
    sweetheart.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Deadman's Registry Sets
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Buyer Follow-up:

"Received 3 Neg FB's, Abusive E-mails, & Name Calling...Not Received - THE ITEM "

/////////////////////////////////////////////

Priceless!!!!!!!
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    hey, toolhaus is pretty cool, i gotta save that, i just looked at me to see if i stunk or not, im okimage
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    yeah, it is handy to use, instead of paging back through the ebay feedback pages.

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    Guy sounds like a real punk.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Good morning!

I sent codyp2000 a cordial message:

Dear codyp2000,

Good morning! Just a heads-up! You are a topic of discussion over on the PSA-Collector's Universe message boards:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=704091

I thought you would like to join in here?

Sincerely,

Bob

Thought maybe he would come here and defend himself? image
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy anything off him to get graded (I've had a bad experience in the past w/ him also). Recently I bought 25+ off him with the intention of getting signed and his prices and shipping were reasonable.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Mike,

Don't buy the Raymond Berry RC, save yor money till you get back on your feet...

I am sure one will find its way to your house image
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options

"I sent codyp2000 a cordial message:"

Great, we need some drama here. It was getting slow.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Let's build a statue of him so Lee can kick it in the nuts! image

PoppaJ
  • Options
    npa589npa589 Posts: 8 ✭✭
    I know this was two years ago, but I just made the mistake of thinking this guy was sane. Never had dealt with him before, and yea, I can agree with the sentiments shared by others. I searched on google, and found this thread on CU. Even after 2 years, same thing. Why do these people, how do these people stay in business..............

Do not buy from this guy. Just don't.
    My eBay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Cards-of-Our-Pastime

Prices are negotiable. E-mail: the.cards.of.our.pastime@gmail.com
  • Options
    Yes, I've delt with him before. Half of the cards are not as described. You just might get a different card (that is similuar) but not the correct card. (watch for slight creases that can be seen in a photo, to appear in real).

I'd avoid if possible. Stop watching the listing, it might drop to $30 in a week or 2 if you want to give it a try.

Dave
  • Options
    I was looking at some of his cards a few months back and decided to look at his feedback....wow, I couldn't believe it. Decided to just walk on by.
  • Options
    He is still up to his games. He had a couple of cards at BIN/BO at 8.00 each, I offerd 5.00 each and he declined the offers and raised the BIN to 20.00 each. I will be passing on any of his cards in the future.

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Wow....
    Go Army, Beat Navy!
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I bought 1 card from him described as near mint. It had a dinged corner when it arrived. Couldn't see it on the scan. I won't be buying anymore from him.
  • Options
    What's even more disturbing are his replies to the buyers leaving negative feedback. It's always the PO fault that his packages are arriving postage due and I love "drop dead" comments he left. Why does Ebay allow him to sell?
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I had found cards I was looking for but then when I saw the seller, I just pass over them. This guy is a real piece of work. Id love to see him come on these boards. Of course he wouldnt because there is no defense for what he does.
  • Options
    This seller is out of his mind. I bet if he had a card shop and a buyer walked in for a refund because of the issue they listed - I'm willing to bet all my cards he wouldnt reply with the same responses. Just another internet tough guy/douche. Thanks for letting us know about him. Going to place him on my block list at once.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Who wants to jump on their hog and head out to PA to ride with him and his Mrs?
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it codyp2000's birthday?
  • Options
    While I did return the overgraded cards I got once. I did cut a deal on a few graded cards which I was happy with.

I won't buy raw cards from him.

John
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had found cards I was looking for but then when I saw the seller, I just pass over them. This guy is a real piece of work. Id love to see him come on these boards. Of course he wouldnt because there is no defense for what he does. >>

I think the slinkie principle would work well if I could just coax him up a flight of stairs... image
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Here's another ebay rip off. He is cwj1217. He has a real nice feedback score of 1227. His name is Chris J Wilson from DeWitt, NY. Yep, he got me for $550. Of course ebay doesn't really help, they just try and get the two parties together to work it out (assuming both parties are rational). He just decided to go bad after his final sells back in January. Since I used Paypal on this preorder, I am not covered for anything over 45 days.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    codyp2000 has some raw cards for sale that look from the scans like they would fit in nicely with some of the sets I am building. Prices look to be relatively reasonable.

However..... because of what I have read about him on this forum, I avoid those cards like the plague. Thank you, forum.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    npa589npa589 Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Hey there. If you've purchased from him, do you have his e-mail address? I need to get in contact with him!
    Thanks
    My eBay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Cards-of-Our-Pastime

Prices are negotiable. E-mail: the.cards.of.our.pastime@gmail.com
  • Options
    I agree he is crap and way overgrades his cards by at least 1.5 to 2 grades in me experiences.
This discussion has been closed.