Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1990 Donruss Aqueous

Comments

• New acct. Fake stamp seller- Fake Griffey

Tried to sell a Yount, but it was pulled. 290675120931

Seller jcalabria2012( 1 ) Mohrsville, PA
    fb shows a Jackson DK purchased. Here comes another one.

290674898898 $65 Griffey Aqueous Sold 2/22 by jcalabria2012

160742706932 $67 Griffey Aqueous Sold 2/20 by butherman2011
    imageimageimage
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    For years I've been trying to figure out what constitutes a complete set of these suckers. I was pretty sure that Donruss printed off two sheets (132 cards each) for a total of 264 cards. Since PSA lists 263 different on the set composition page, I figured there must be one more card that I wasn't aware of.

The other day, I got an email from someone offering to sell me an unlisted card. Yay.

imageimage

This 264-card set theory will probably last all of five minutes and someone will pop in with a scan of another card (at least I hope so). image
    Looking at how the 264 cards are laid out now makes sense as well:

9 Diamond Kings (1,3,6,9,11,14,16,18,22)
    9 Rated Rookies (24,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35)
    236 Regular issue cards (48-283, no gaps)
    10 MVP cards (BC1-BC10)
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Nice
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • I wish u would have said something Bob I had two of those Sandbergs for sell but they sold now..I'm glad you found one though.
  • Correct on the next Bo Jackson.

New user name, cardcraze2012, the front pic in the auction is the Bo jcalabria2012 purchase (way oc) and the back picture stolen from a legit completed auction. He already sold a Maddux too using the same method.
  • I asked the current fake BO seller (addressing him by his buy acct. name) for a scan of the back.

His reply-

I will tell you now, your comments on the forum about selling a fake sound threatning to me, I have put on the auction that it is being sold AS-IS with no guarantees, so please refrain from bidding on any of my auctions.

- cardcraze2012

I've posted this info on 2 other boards. No threats though. Dang. Now I cant buy his fakes..
    imageimageimage
  • Just grabbed my second of these, the other graded PSA 8. Don't think this one will grade that high, but happy to have it nonetheless:

imageimage
  • JustusJustus Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Got this from AbdulWaahid. Thanks Carl! Any guesses as to what it would grade?

Successful transactions w/Comicgeek68, Statman, Scotgreb, Aupt, captainthreeputt, diamondman, Mickey71, slantycouch, Bkritz, BABERUTHJOEDIMAGGIO, craigger, Huggyface, and many others.
  • Thanks Justus for the recommendation especially with all the fakes people been selling lately...I'm interested as to how it will grade also so let me know if you can if you get it graded

<< <i>Any guesses as to what it would grade? >>

It looks like it could easily be an 8. Good luck!
  • miked211miked211 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    AbdulWaahid,
    I think i asked you on eBay but I wanted to ask if you had a Dale Murphy.
    Thanks, Michael
  • nah i dont but if i come across one i will post on here first
  • tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    Some impressive recent Aqueous sales...

Link

I think most impressive, is the checklist for $511.11! Ripken collectors seem to not care much about this set compared to the rest of the player collectors...
    Just wanted to keep this thread alive. Just got the results of my 15-card collector's club special:

8 1 Baseball Donruss 1990 158 Greg Maddux Aqueous Test 8.5
    9 1 Baseball Donruss 1990 166 Nolan Ryan Aqueous Test 7
    10 1 Baseball Donruss 1990 190 Don Mattingly Aqueous Test 9
    11 1 Baseball Donruss 1990 190 Don Mattingly Aqueous Test 9
    12 1 Baseball Donruss 1990 190 Don Mattingly Aqueous Test 6
    13 1 Baseball Donruss 1990 269 Kirby Puckett Aqueous Test 9
    14 1 Baseball Donruss 1990 BC-8 Kirby Puckett MVP Aqueous Test 8
    15 1 Baseball Donruss 1990 BC-8 Kirby Puckett MVP Aqueous Test 6

I also have another submission in there with around 135 Aqueous cards. As long as all (or most) of them grade, my set will be complete. Yay. image
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I also have another submission in there with around 135 Aqueous cards. As long as all (or most) of them grade, my set will be complete. Yay. image >>

Wow. I hope you do well so a proper "congrats" is in order! The prices for some of these have exploded in the last few years. I paid a good chunk for my player, but it would have cost me twice as much today.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the submission Bob

Do they encase them in water ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    Bob, are the recent eBay listings yours? The two Will Clark copies sold for $515 each, which is pretty strong considering they both ran at the same time.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Wow, $7,200 asking price for a PSA 10 Mattingly. Is it a 1/1??
  • BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Even a PSA 7 Nolan Ryan just went for $250. Couldn't imagine what a 10 might bring.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob has eaten more Aqueous Test cards than I'll ever see in my lifetime.

<< <i>Bob, are the recent eBay listings yours? The two Will Clark copies sold for $515 each, which is pretty strong considering they both ran at the same time. >>

No, they're not. I hadn't even seen them until I noticed that this thread had bubbled towards the top. My sub has been at PSA since.....oh, I don't know.....the dawn of time (insert impatient smiley here). I thought the realized prices were quite disappointing (Clemens PSA 7 for $39.89?).

The current PSA 10 Buy-It-Nows are ridiculous. Any of my PSA 9's could be a 10 on a different day with a different grader, and the same with my PSA 10's being 9's. I would vote for professional graders to use five grade levels:

10 - Whoo-boy is that ever a nice card
    7 - Not as nice but it's better than yours
    5 - Lots wrong with it, but it's not going in my bike spokes
    3 - Ready for bike spokes
    1 - Been there and done that bike spokes thing

And Arthur, it just looks like I've eaten a lot of Aqueous cards, cause I'm so fat.
    You should crack them out of their slabs first. We call that Aqueous Lite.
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"You should crack them out of their slabs first. We call that Aqueous Lite."
    -----

You mean before he puts them in the bike spokes?

I agree.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• << <i>

<< <i>Bob, are the recent eBay listings yours? The two Will Clark copies sold for $515 each, which is pretty strong considering they both ran at the same time. >>

No, they're not. I hadn't even seen them until I noticed that this thread had bubbled towards the top. My sub has been at PSA since.....oh, I don't know.....the dawn of time (insert impatient smiley here). I thought the realized prices were quite disappointing (Clemens PSA 7 for $39.89?).

The current PSA 10 Buy-It-Nows are ridiculous. Any of my PSA 9's could be a 10 on a different day with a different grader, and the same with my PSA 10's being 9's. I would vote for professional graders to use five grade levels:

10 - Whoo-boy is that ever a nice card
    7 - Not as nice but it's better than yours
    5 - Lots wrong with it, but it's not going in my bike spokes
    3 - Ready for bike spokes
    1 - Been there and done that bike spokes thing

And Arthur, it just looks like I've eaten a lot of Aqueous cards, cause I'm so fat. >>

This dude belongs on Last Comic Standing lol
    I think it would be cool if they were slabbed in a liquid solution

Al
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even a PSA 7 Nolan Ryan just went for $250. Couldn't imagine what a 10 might bring. >>

It would go for a pretty penny, but perhaps not as much as you think. My general experience with rarer issues is that a lot of player collectors will pay a very pretty penny to add a card to their collection, but will not necessarily pay a huge multiple for a slight increase in grade.

When the card itself is insanely rarer, the multiples just don't hold up. If a PSA 9 is a $10-$20 card, a PSA 10 might be worth many, many multiples of the PSA 9. But if the PSA 9 is a $1,000 card, the market is often too thin to have a line of collectors willing to pay many thousands for a PSA 10 as compared to a PSA 9
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    We were having fun until Marc injected logic into the conversation.
    Darn those Martian Woodpeckers

Al

<< <i>We were having fun until Marc injected logic into the conversation. >>

He's a buzz killer, but of course he's right. I would consider myself an enthusiastic buyer of these cards, but my price point for a PSA 8, 9, or 10 of a particular card would all be in about the same range. I'd want a NICE card, so I'd probably try and upgrade a PSA 6 or a not-so-pretty PSA 7, but once a card is a PSA 8, I'd have no reason to pay more for a 9 or 10.

<< <i>

<< <i>We were having fun until Marc injected logic into the conversation. >>

He's a buzz killer, but of course he's right. I would consider myself an enthusiastic buyer of these cards, but my price point for a PSA 8, 9, or 10 of a particular card would all be in about the same range. I'd want a NICE card, so I'd probably try and upgrade a PSA 6 or a not-so-pretty PSA 7, but once a card is a PSA 8, I'd have no reason to pay more for a 9 or 10. >>

I agree entirely. When it comes to true rarities, the condition doesn't matter all that much.

The Will Clark Aqueous was one of my two most-desired cards. When I finally grabbed a copy, I didn't care one bit what it graded. I just wanted one.

Interestingly, my other grail was the 1992 Donruss Super DK. Mine has some specks of paper loss on the front. I actually PREFER this to a (hypothetical) perfect example, as it shows the card was (most likely) stored for years in the salesman's binder, fitting with the story behind that rare issue. I wouldn't turn down a gem copy, but I LOVE mine just as it is.

<< <i>I'm pretty patient, but I'm also beginning to think that this is one set I'll never finish. >>

Looks like I was wrong......

1990 Donruss Aqueous Test - bobsbbcards
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW that is impressive!
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Wow, all 264 cards that is quite a feat!!
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! I'm a bit bummed though that my Weighted GPA is the All-Time and Current Lowest. Poo.
  • Wow, lots of people tonight tracking down elusive cards and completing sets, but I think you win the award for most impressive set!
    At last count, the POP report shows 16 tens out there. Here are 9 (I have two Steve Rosenbergs and two Alfredo Griffins for a total of 11):

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    absolutely amazing Bob!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Bob-- just showed your scans to some Inuits up here and they were blown away

Al
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on 100%, Bob. That's a great accomplishment!
  • What's a Steve Rosenberg?
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks! I'm a bit bummed though that my Weighted GPA is the All-Time and Current Lowest. Poo. >>

Don't worry. I'll eventually pick up a lower graded copy and register a set so you won't have the lowest GPA.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Bob that is a tremendous feat....
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

<< <i>What's a Steve Rosenberg? >>

It's a euphemism for a naughty body part. image
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    Amazing accomplishment Bob. Great job!
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Wow Bob, that's awesome! Great accomplishment! What's next, Blue/White Test? image

• this is impressive and will never be repeated... a complete set regardless of grading requires the acquisition of roughly 10 percent of the entire production of cards...
    there are only approx. 10 examples of each player in existence... and if you don't already own a Ripken, Ryan, Mattingly, etc... good luck prying them away from the
    player collectors who already own them...
    add to that, the difficulty of tracking down the lesser known players who are seldom graded and seldom offered for sale...

this is a true 'ONE OF ONE' !!!

<< <i>What's next, Blue/White Test? image >>

I hope not. I've been working on this puppy for over 13 years, and it wore me out. I have over half a set of Blue/Whites, but finishing them will be next to impossible. image