Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Urban legends of the numismatic business ...

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
... do you know of any?

I'll start.

A paper money collector sat down at a dealer's table at a major show and asked to see a group of the dealers notes. The collector removed each of the notes from its protective holder and carefully examined each note. While doing this, the collector was also eating a bag of potato chips. The collector bought nothing. The dealer later noticed that all of the notes the collector had viewed now had grease stains from the potato chips!

Did it really happen? I first hear this story in the late 1980's or very early 1990's.
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    WhitWhit Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Good morning, everyone:

Is there really a Stella in a California landfill? If so, would someone be so kind as to provide a few of the details of that story?

Whit
    Whit
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good morning, everyone:

Is there really a Stella in a California landfill? If so, would someone be so kind as to provide a few of the details of that story?

Whit >>

Yes true accidentally discarded by one of the dealer members on this board.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Whit >>

Yes true accidentally discarded by one of the dealer members on this board. >>

Fred Weinberg has posted about this mishap.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Whit >>

Yes true accidentally discarded by one of the dealer members on this board. >>

Fred Weinberg has posted about this mishap. >>

Waiting for a new Discovery channel show called "Landfill California"...

As after watching Gold Rush last night and seeing the workers where paid 5 ounces of gold for 5 months of 12-20 hour days finding the Stella might be more profitable! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    If the Stella pops up some day at the junk yard, can Mr. Weinberg claim it as his ?
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '64 Peace dollar.... rumored widely, and some have actually claimed to have seen one... It is a numismatic legend, however, I think there is some fact behind it...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of threads that explore the folklore of the PKOK Ikes:

Are PKOK Ikes a National Treasure?
    Are PKOK Ikes AT or not?

peacockcoins

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the great silver boom of late 1979 and early 1980, a roll or two of beautiful mint state 1932-D quarters ended up in a metal coin counting machine and came out of the hopper before being discovered with ruinous circular grooves around each quarter.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Would the 1792 Half Disme being made out of silver from Washington's tea set count?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would'nt George Washingtons "Silver Dollar" that he threw
    across the Deleware be one?

Steve

Oh yea, the other one I like may be true about the Mint Directors Daughter
    spending a 1894s Dime on Ice Cream, after being told to save it
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1895-P business strike Morgan dollars were supposedly minted,but none seem to exist. 12,880 reported in the Redbook.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

As after watching Gold Rush last night and seeing the workers where paid 5 ounces of gold for 5 months of 12-20 hour days finding the Stella might be more profitable! image >>

Wow, for those hours in five months they could have made a lot more money working at McDonald's.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard that Dave Wnuck once bench pressed 24 full blue boxes 39 reps at the PCGS table once. I was told be was inspired by the NFL combines that were taking place the same weekend.

I'm not sure I believe this. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a legend that a full pallet of 1982-P quarters were found at the Kansas City FED in
    late 1985. I have extreme doubt since the story on its face is inconsistent as the KC FED should
    have only Denver minted coin.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard many.....one my deceased father in law liked to talk about was the then-missing fifth 1913 Liberty Nickel was on board a ship that sank at sea and never recovered.....I always wondered if this was a variation from the coin being lost during a car accident while transported by a dealer? In any event we now know all five are accounted for.

The others I like are the 'rumor' that bags of 34S Peace Dollars were seen in the San Fran Fed reserve during the 1950's, but never released to the general public - did they exist, and what happened to them?

The other is an original mint bag of 19S halves supposedly in the inventory listing of one of big Wells Fargo Bank Hoard (or one of the bank hoards). That would be something to see!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

The other is an original mint bag of 19S halves supposedly in the inventory listing of one of big Wells Fargo Bank Hoard (or one of the bank hoards). That would be something to see! >>

I have read about this legend in more than one place and it always makes me grimace. The most expensive coin in my collection is ... you guessed it, a 19-S in MS66 that pedigrees to GBW and Schultz. But if there are twenty more just as nice sitting in a vault somewhere, then that purchase won't look so great. No matter, i'll still love the coin.

My favorite story, though apparently more than legend, is the dealer that had the 1913 Liberty nickel and carried it with him everywhere, including to the bars, where he would often pass it around. Someone on here knows that story better than me but it's really pretty amazing when you think what the coin is worth.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

As after watching Gold Rush last night and seeing the workers where paid 5 ounces of gold for 5 months of 12-20 hour days finding the Stella might be more profitable! image >>

Wow, for those hours in five months they could have made a lot more money working at McDonald's. >>

I thought it strange old Jack would go into a room alone to count/weight the gold and come out later with a total. My trust just doesnt extend to those kinds of "traditions" as he put it.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some urban legends are true. I doubted a bag of San Diego or Wisconsin commems until I saw them. Folks doubt "original" rolls of 1892 dimes, and I've seen one sell at auction, 20 years after I sold mine. Stuff is still out there ... less and less every year. And most of us never hear anything about it.

K
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still looking for a slab with a Platinum CAC sticker. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I was told that there are coin dealers who, while at shows, wear Depends so they do not have to leave their table during the show.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was told that there are coin dealers who, while at shows, wear Depends so they do not have to leave their table during the show. >>

Well that would explain why he did'nt buy that coin I showed him
    that I thought he really, really, really likedimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone remember which coin it was that Secret Service agents confiscated as an alleged forgery, and then it was destroyed by Mint officials when they used acid on the surface to test composition? I believe it was a 1943 copper Lincoln cent.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone remember which coin it was that Secret Service agents confiscated as an alleged forgery, and then it was destroyed by Mint officials when they used acid on the surface to test composition? I believe it was a 1943 copper Lincoln cent. >>

Somewhat unrelated, but the 1959 Wheatback also comes to mind regarding the Secret Service (actually authenticating the coin, at first).

peacockcoins

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    That three (3) no "S" mint marked 3-piece sets of the 1976 silver proof (prototype) bicentennial coins were minted at Philadelphia and summarily given to US dignitaries.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone remember which coin it was that Secret Service agents confiscated as an alleged forgery, and then it was destroyed by Mint officials when they used acid on the surface to test composition? I believe it was a 1943 copper Lincoln cent. >>

This happened to some 1969-S DDO Lincoln cents that were sent to the Secret Service for authentication.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1844 Little Orphan Annie dimes were sent with the US Army expedition to Mexico and subsequently lost.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I heard that Dave Wnuck once bench pressed 24 full blue boxes 39 reps at the PCGS table once. I was told be was inspired by the NFL combines that were taking place the same weekend.

I'm not sure I believe this. MJ >>

That is a wild, absolutely ridiculous statement.

It was actuallly only 38 reps. image A Mr. Ndamukong Suh was standing behind me in line at the PCGS table that day. He said I had inspired him to try harder at his own Combine the next day in Indianapolis. I hadn't heard about that one; I assume it is for some other hobby. I wonder how Mr. Suh made out that day....
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Once an "Urban Legend" turns out to be true, it stops being an Urban Legend, right?
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    If you want to collect political Urban Legends, just listen in on a group of dealers at dinner.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file