Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Just went over 90% on my 1973 set

It took about 18 months...everything in 8's and 9's with just a couple of nice 7's (Yaz & Munson). Pretty proud considering I put the set together by selling off all of my modern parallels, extra modern commons left over from set building, and average player auto's. It's been a fun ride and can't wait to finish and start another 70's graded adventure!

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>It took about 18 months...everything in 8's and 9's with just a couple of nice 7's (Yaz & Munson). Pretty proud considering I put the set together by selling off all of my modern parallels, extra modern commons left over from set building, and average player auto's. It's been a fun ride and can't wait to finish and start another 70's graded adventure! >>

IMO, it's always a great move when you can convert modern to vintage. Price stability, desirability, you name it....
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Thanks bking. That was kind of my thought...I still like putting together a few modern sets per year and have no interest in the serial numbered parallels, etc outside of a handful of players. Basically trading modern unwanted, for vintage I've wanted my whole life. Really having fun with it.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job.image
    Good luck on the last 10%.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    Thanks Darin!

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    18 months is pretty qick, for me at least

good luck on the rest
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    VERY WELL Done Sir!

i have to ask though, why "only" 7's on Thurm and Yaz? image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Thanks guys...and TBP...that Yaz can get pretty steep in an 8 image
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks guys...and TBP...that Yaz can get pretty steep in an 8 image >>

aint that the truth! lol
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!! Now you can email PSA and get your 5 free grading vouchers! image
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Congratulations on accomplishing an amazing achievement!!

IMO, it's always a great move when you can convert modern to vintage. Price stability, desirability, you name it....

+1
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Thanks again everyone...hoping I can knock out the last 9% before the new baseball season arrives...and then start on another. Been a blast.
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Let me know by PM the remaining cards you need and I should be able to get you very close to finishing the 9%.

Cheers,
    Michael
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    Big Thanks to bbuckner for helping me out with three tough cards..one VERY tough! Great transaction all the way around.

Michael...I will send you my updated list in the next day or so. Thank for the offer!
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome! Congratulations! I have a '73 but it will remain raw(mid to low grade). Are those free vouchers for that set only or can you use them for any card?
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. I think the 1973 set is underrated. Lots of cool action shots and tougher than one would think to build in high grade. A PSA 9 set will set you back $35k believe it or not (based on VCP average).
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>That is awesome! Congratulations! I have a '73 but it will remain raw(mid to low grade). Are those free vouchers for that set only or can you use them for any card? >>

They have to be for cards in the set.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    I always thought the set was underrated too...tons of HOFers...Mays and Clemente's final cards...Schmidt rookie...and then all the goofy pics and the horizontal action shots. I always thought it was unique.
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Super big set and a Super Job of reaching your goal in such a short time ! ..................Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Robby..it seemed that once I got over 50% I really started focusing and the next 40% went by very fast. Now the tough part starts. Down to about the last 6%.
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Good work. I'm number 12 on the registry. Took about 2 years to finish in 8-9-10. Now I upgrade from time to time. Great set that I think will eventually get the love it deserves. Welcome to the family!
  • Options
    that is the year of my birth...i need to get that set!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I'm at number 17 right now. I'll likely do the same...complete it, and then try and upgrade some cards from time to time.
  • Options
    Just started this set, year of my birth so I wanted to do a graded set for the kids. Only 11% in, but have a 1960 set that I have to complete first. Congrats on your progress!
    Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options

<< <i>Just started this set, year of my birth so I wanted to do a graded set for the kids. Only 11% in, but have a 1960 set that I have to complete first. Congrats on your progress! >>

Great trade BasherBoy. Glad I could help you with your 73's. Good luck with your set. image
  • Options
    OK...getting down to the nitty-gritty (less than 5%) on my set thanks to BIG help from backbidder, bbuckner, and Tigerdean...

Here is what I have left...if anyone has any of these in PSA 8's +...please shoot me a PM. Thanks in advance!

1 RUTH/AARON/MAYS
    128 TED SIZEMORE
    131 RED SOX LEADERS
    217 DON WILSON
    264 CHECKLIST 133-264
    363 JACKIE HERNANDEZ
    373 CLYDE WRIGHT
    389 NY METS TEAM
    422 BOB ROBERTSON
    453 CHECKLIST 397-528
    486 PHILLIES COACHES
    496 RAY LAMB
    497 CARDINALS
    549 RANGERS MGR.
    556 YANKEES TEAM RECORDS
    561 JIM GEDDES
    581 STEVE KEALEY
    588 CHECKLIST 529-660
    593 ROYALS MGR.
    596 RED SOX TEAM
    600 DAVE MCNALLY
    601 ROOKIE CATCHERS
    603 ROOKIE 3RD BASEMAN
    608 ROOKIE PITCHERS
    609 ROOKIE 2ND BASEMEN
    613 ROOKIE CATCHERS
    614 ROOKIE OUTFIELDERS
    616 ROOKIE PITCHERS
    646 BREWERS MGR.
    654 TWINS TEAM

• Options
    Another BIG thanks to bbuckner for delivering another top notch card to help me get to the finish line!!
  • Options
    Hi, I'm a newbie to PSA baseball card collecting, although I've been a Wacky Packages PSA collector for a few years years. I was hoping I could get some advice on trying to put together a complete 1973 PSA rated set, which I'm just starting from scratch. This was the first set I collected as a kid and I've always held a special place for it.

I'm planning on only going after PSA 8, 8.5 and 9 cards. What's the best approach for this - stricly eBay or are there other websites which are good for auctions of PSA rated cards? Is the best approach for "commons" to try to buy them in lots? Lastly, how long does it typically take to compile an entire 1973 set - asking anyone who can speak from experience. Finally what should I expect something like this to cost...for example, say an "8.5" weighted set.

Any advice for this greenhorn is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    First of all, welcome to the boards. The 73 set is pretty hot right now, seems like a lot of collectors are working on it. A basic set of all 8's is about a $6300 set. A set of 9's is around $40-42K right now. I don't believe there has ever been a set at 100% completion made up of all 9's or higher. A couple of guys are close, but some of the cards are almost non existant above an 8. Buying lots is a good way to get a start on any set. You might also want to post in Buy, Sell, and Trade section of this board and see what people have to sell. Some people will try and collect the stars in 9's and the commons in 8's, it's your set, do what you feel comfortable doing. There are quite a few commons that are tough, but even some of stars (Yaz, Morgan, and the #1 card) are scarce.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options

<< <i>First of all, welcome to the boards. The 73 set is pretty hot right now, seems like a lot of collectors are working on it. A basic set of all 8's is about a $6300 set. A set of 9's is around $40-42K right now. I don't believe there has ever been a set at 100% completion made up of all 9's or higher. A couple of guys are close, but some of the cards are almost non existant above an 8. Buying lots is a good way to get a start on any set. You might also want to post in Buy, Sell, and Trade section of this board and see what people have to sell. Some people will try and collect the stars in 9's and the commons in 8's, it's your set, do what you feel comfortable doing. There are quite a few commons that are tough, but even some of stars (Yaz, Morgan, and the #1 card) are scarce. >>

Hey thanks a ton for taking the time to post this, this is very helpful. I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    I've been building this set but not robustly. I have a complete set but only partially graded. I've gotten to the point I'm at (only #23) through mostly my own submissions but also buying some of the cheaper 9s. I have about 150 more from my raw set in for grading now. 4SC on eBay is one resource for '73s. They price them fairly reasonably. You may have difficulty finding some of the cheaper 8s and 9s on eBay as many people avoid submitting them because of the low return on investment. That's where submitting your own raw cards can get you to the finish line faster.

There are several very tough cards in 9 as well. Aside from what Buckner mentioned, the 529-660 checklist is very tough as are some of the high numbers. Also, don't be picky on front and back centering as some cards like the #1 HR leaders card are near impossible to find with 60-40 centering on the front and back.

Good luck!
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    bbuckner and gem both give good advice. 4sc is a great way to pick up reasonably priced PSA 8's to get your set rolling. Go directly to their website to get free shipping on orders over $50. Even the easy 8's have gone up $1 or 2 but you can still grab many of them for under the cost grading fees. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks again to all you guys for your great advice. I did check out 4sc and their prices appear to be pretty reasonable and especially good for someone trying to get a few cards under their belt to start out with.
  • Options
    BasherBoyBasherBoy Posts: 510 ✭✭
    I recently started this set also, if you get any lots and end up with doubles let me know! I've picked up a couple lots on these boards, and a couple groups from 4SC to start my set. Welcome and gl!
    Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    I started this set about 18 months ago. 1973s were the first I purchased as a kid. I'm up to #7 on the registry - have a ceiling though because I don't purchase 10s, nor do I have much luck on finding them raw.

My favorite ball players throughout the years: Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Ellis Burks, Lance Berkman
  • Options
    Well...you have 4 of some of the toughest 9's in the set right there. I have 3 of those in 8's...and don't have card #1 yet. Those are all big money cards.
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    That Breeden is a beast! Very nice.
  • Options
    I just uploaded my recent submission to my set. It knocked my GPA down about 0.1 but got me to 86%+ and 18th ranking. That's about the limit of what I can fill from my own set and a half of raw cards. The rest are too OC or have a corner ding and not worth submitting. Getting to 86% and 8.53 GPA isn't bad coming from less than two raw sets. I was able to get here for less than $1000 plus grading fees not to mention all the duplicates I was able to sell over the years.

The rest will likely come from graded purchases unless I come across another pack fresh lot/set.
  • Options
    Wow...absolutely awesome. Putting that much of the set together, in that high of a GPA, at that low of a cost is astonishing.

I've paid about 5x that much and only have 10% more cards.

Excellent accomplishment.