feel like I took too much of a hit financially on the auction. Thanks
for your opinions fellas.

Comments

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    was the reserve met?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    No there is not. Expect a negative if you go that route.
  • Options
    As you already stated. Unethical practice.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    No.

You can request to cancel, but buyer would have to agree before the auction is actually cancelled

you can always refuse to sell, by returning his payment, but probably get a negative and stars dinged across the board.

Mark
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Potential rating: slightly below average.

Good for you.
  • Options
    MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    What's your ebay name so I make sure to never bid on any of your cards?
  • Options
    I did not put a reserve on it, but the selling price is probably
    $100 to $150 below what it should have gone for.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Potential rating: slightly below average. >>

On a normal day, at least average, perhaps a 50+ thread. Just too much going on today though. People too mentally fatigued to reply.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    what is the item?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Barry Larkin rookie card. I was shocked at the price that the Barry Larkin Fleer Glossy went for ($227).
  • Options
    Barry Larkin rookie card. I was shocked at the price that the Barry Larkin Fleer Glossy went for ($227).
  • Options
    Which Larkin rookie card?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To bad. That is the risk you take with an auction.

So if you were the buyer how would you feel? You must complete the transaction in my book. You win some and you lose some.

Oh wow Larkin cards already deflating; what a shocker. LOL.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I can't tell you how many cards I have sold and lost money on. What is your card, and I can check up VCP on your card. Maybe your perceived value and the acutal real value are way off. Who knows....you might have actually done well on the card and just not be smart enough to realize it!
  • Options
    That's something we won't know until Tom tells which card he sold.

Sounded to me that his was not the type that got 227.00.

So, I'm thinking he feels his version (whatever that may be) should have done better.

I could be completely wrong, wouldn't be the second time.

Good for you.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Very Unprofessional!!! There is always a risk when selling.If you want a certain amount then you should offer it as a BIN /Best Offer or a reserve auction.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    IMO the OP started this thread just to stir up the crowd.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    didn't Gene Larkin have a more substantial moment in baseball?

his cards oughta be worth a small fortune.
  • Options
    Keep in mind you should not use that Larkin at $227 as your reference point. That is for sure a one off sale and basically a snipe gone wrong. The next one will be lucky to get half.

Like Bobby said you might have actually done well and a few weeks from now when the hype fades you might be lucky to get what you actually sold it for.

Don't be a tool and complete the transaction.

• Options

<< <i>That's something we won't know until Tom tells which card he sold.

Sounded to me that his was not the type that got 227.00.

So, I'm thinking he feels his version (whatever that may be) should have done better.

I could be completely wrong, wouldn't be the second time. >>

I think your right Steve.

Also sounds like the seller is looking at the prices of the card and going by the one that went for the most and declaring that as it's value in his head, thinking why didn't I get that.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your advice. I will complete the transaction when the buyer finally pays up.

The Barry Larkin cards are not decreasing in value by the way. Check out the Topps Tiffany
    card that is ending in a couple of hours. Its up to $133.00

The VCP info doesn't apply here. Obviously, his cards have exploded in value the last few
    days so comparing past VCP isn't very useful.

The few Topps Tiffany's that sold are fetching over $100 and like I said I'm amazed that
    the 1987 Fleer Glossy went for $227.
  • Options
    I won't be a tool, but that Fleer Glossy got 10 bids with several bidders. A couple of years
    ago I tracked that card for about a year and a half and very few came up for auction at
    a PSA 10.
  • Options
    Actually I wasn't honestly looking for a way out of the transaction. I wasn't trying to stir up nothing.
  • Options
    The most recent VCP sales would provide excellent info, that's the
    point Bobby was trying to make. Not, sales from over the past 3 years.

In any event, good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Good for you.
  • Options
    The bids are drying up. That card was at $133 yesterday. Check the recent sales and all of the raw cards are selling for half what they were two days ago and the current auction run the vast majority have no bids.

I have no ax to grind here and could care less what Larkin cards do but when you have 100's of thousands of copies there is not enough buyers to support the current prices and once the bids dry up the prices collapse.

What many are forgetting is this is the first card that I can see in the Hall of Fame run that has an enormous supply of Mint cards so no other rookie in the Registry run of Hall of Fame baseball players can even be used as a comparison.

• Options
    Two buyers were willing to pay more then $101 in that auction. I would suspect now that the top buyer won a copy unless a handful of new bidders emerge the price will move back towards $100.

• Options
    So, you do care a little.....
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I care enough to monitor the situation and offer my viewpoint but that is the extent of it.

I think these events are great for the card market because it creates activity. I just realize the imbalance between supply and demand.

• Options
    I could care less too, I care just enough to be able to do that.

Good for you.
  • Options
    My focus has been on PSA 10s not raw cards or anything lower than a PSA 10.

There are only 124 PSA 10 1987 Tiffanys

There are only 35 PSA 10 Fleer Glossy.
  • Options
    Keep in mind the reason the total is so low is most did not think Larkin was worth grading. Just wait until the major EBAY sellers send their's in and watch the population explode.

Here is the problem right here.

1987 Fleer

Anytime you can buy lots this large of a raw card it is not going to worth anything major in a high grade.

If someone wants to invest in Larkin per say the only card perhaps with a shot is the Topps Tiffany but I still suspect just like Roberto Alomar the pop will fade and it will be back to business as usual.

The same thing I remember happened when Ozzie Smith went in. His low grade stuff popped hard and then within a week was back to normal. Now his rookie is a much different story with very few in great condition and registry collectors for the Topps set itself so high grade specimens are still worth a lot and I suspect are going to continue to appreciate over time.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Keep in mind the reason the total is so low is most did not think Larkin was worth grading. Just wait until the major EBAY sellers send their's in and watch the population explode.

Here is the problem right here.

1987 Fleer

Anytime you can buy lots this large of a raw card it is not going to worth anything major in a high grade.

If someone wants to invest in Larkin per say the only card perhaps with a shot is the Topps Tiffany but I still suspect just like Roberto Alomar the pop will fade and it will be back to business as usual.

The same thing I remember happened when Ozzie Smith went in. His low grade stuff popped hard and then within a week was back to normal. Now his rookie is a much different story with very few in great condition and registry collectors for the Topps set itself so high grade specimens are still worth a lot and I suspect are going to continue to appreciate over time. >>

Is this your Larkin RC PSA 10 X3 Auction?

If this is your auction then I think you are crazy to believe you are going to do much better breaking that up now. I think you may get closer to $330 tops splitting these up but is that worth a negative? If this is not your auction this please point us towards what you sold because I am not seeing anything else that could be your auction.
  • Options
    David

The cards that are in high demand are the 87 Topps Tiffany
    and the 87 Fleer glossy.

NOT the base cards from those sets. Edited: (not the regular issue cards)

You are comparing apples to oranges, yes, after a while those that have or want them
    will have or want them and the artificial price will subside.

Good for you.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So, you do care a little..... >>

lmfao.

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    The ebay item brendanb posted was not an auction--it was a BIN item.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

Is this your Larkin RC PSA 10 X3 Auction?

If this is your auction then I think you are crazy to believe you are going to do much better breaking that up now. I think you may get closer to $330 tops splitting these up but is that worth a negative? If this is not your auction this please point us towards what you sold because I am not seeing anything else that could be your auction. Text

Yes that is the auction. Just do the math:

Topps Tiffany can get at least $150
    Fleer Glossy can get at least $225 (remember its a pop 35)
    Sportsflics can get at least $40 (I think this card is Larkin's true rookie card and way undervalued)

So your talking a little over $400.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    So that was not a BIN? It does not list any bidding activity--it seems like you set the price, and are now complaing about the price. Am I missing something?
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Steve I realize the Fleer Glossy is more rare then the pack version but with over 6,500 Bonds graded there are quite a few Barry Larkin cards laying around with less then 350 graded.

The base Bonds card had something 30,000 graded so even though there are a lot less, there are still a ton of the Glossy card. Larkin was never collected and is very few peoples favorite player or even one of them.

High prices bring supply if it exists and in this case it does.

• Options
    IMO, if you give it a week it may the buyer who would like to back out of that transaction.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    I agree.

Keep in mind many of the out of the range sales never get completed due to non paying bidders. I wait to use those as a potentially real sale until I see feedback on either party. If none is left on either side withing 7 to 10 business days it is most likely a non paying bidder and that card is coming back for sale.

• Options

<< <i>Is this your Larkin RC PSA 10 X3 Auction?

If this is your auction then I think you are crazy to believe you are going to do much better breaking that up now. I think you may get closer to $330 tops splitting these up but is that worth a negative? If this is not your auction this please point us towards what you sold because I am not seeing anything else that could be your auction. Text

Yes that is the auction. Just do the math:

Topps Tiffany can get at least $150
    Fleer Glossy can get at least $225 (remember its a pop 35)
    Sportsflics can get at least $40 (I think this card is Larkin's true rookie card and way undervalued)

So your talking a little over $400. >>

You are taking the highest amounts these have gone for recently and think you will also get that? Have you been selling on eBay for a while, because that is not the way it always works. The Perfect Storm and sure you will get $400+ but you seem to be ignoring the fact that everyone and their moms are gonna be subbing these cards now.

Stiff the buyer, take the neg, resell these individually with new BINs and within 10 days lets see what has happened. I will bet you $100 to your $20 (nice 5 to 1 odds) that you do not sell all three of the above at those minimum prices since you are so confident you can.
    Interested?
  • Options
    Brendan I will sweeten the pot and post the same odds.

• Options
    Your probably right because the last Larkin Tiffany that ended about 15 minutes ago
    ended at 133.50. Didn't move at all in the closing seconds.
  • Options
    I also went back and looked at that Fleer Glossy that sold for $227
    the seller through in the following cards to entice buyers. Perhaps
    that inflated the final selling price:

BGS 9 1989 Donruss Baseball's Best Randy Johnson
    BGS 9 1989 Donruss Randy Johnson
    BGS 9 1992 Bowman Manny Ramirez FOIL
    BGS 8 1988 Score Rookie/Traded Roberto Alomar
    BGS 8 1997 Bowman Chrome Sean Casey
    BGS 8.5 1987 Donruss Rafael Palmeiro
    BGS 8.5 1988 Score Rookie/Traded Craig Biggio
    BGS 7.5 1986 Fleer Update Barry Bonds
  • Options

<< <i>Brendan I will sweeten the pot and post the same odds. >>

Great minds think alike. image

Damn the OP is already changing his mind. Honestly I think you did well getting $300 for all three in one BIN. I would now switch to the train of thought that you should be hoping the buyer pays you soon before they come to the conclusion that dang a bunch of these are gonna start surfacing on eBay soon driving down the price.
  • Options
    He seems to be a good ebayer. He paid $400 for a 1993 Damon SP PSA 10 Rookie Card.
    He has lots of positive feedback.
  • Options
    There is no real Larkin collector base. That is the problem. He is a card in a Registry set that is easy to get. Period.

• Options
    Is this thread a work?
  • Options
    You don't deserve to get to use that sentence.
  • Options
    David I agree completely with what you are saying
    You are not exposing anything that anyone here
    has not known. My point was simply trying to show you that
    we were talking about Tiffany and Fleer glossy cards, not regular issue
    cards.

I think we will see another round of hype when he actually gets inducted this summer.
    At least that's what happens in the past.

Good for you.