Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1990 Donruss Aqueous

Comments

• Hi - thought I'd bump this thread. Has anyone ever seen the Eric Davis #233?

Any hopes to me ever finding? thx.
    Visit www.Davis44.com - An Eric Davis Collection.
  • Here's an Andre Dawson on eBay FYI:

7Link
  • Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi - thought I'd bump this thread. Has anyone ever seen the Eric Davis #233?

Any hopes to me ever finding? thx. >>

I have been putting the Reds set together in Aqueous and I do not think Davis has a card. I have never seen one and it is not on the registry, but there is a 232 and 234, so maybe there is one floating around. I have two extras if anyone wants to trade something for them. I need Benzinger and Rijo
    1) John Franco psa 2
    2) Gary Carter psa 8
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Great thread and amazing run, Bob. Congrats!

I know I posted this earlier in the thread, but everyone needs to show off their favorites now and then...

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's an Andre Dawson on eBay FYI:

Link >>

Thanks for the tip! One more down.

I have quite a few of these puppies in SGC slabs that I need to cross. One of these days..... image
  • Wow. That description is copied from a post I made on Topps. With your guys info. from this thread, IIRC. This internet thing is smaller than I thought. lol

*edited to add- Congrats Bob on knocking another off the list!
    imageimageimage
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Great cards...and I have a dumb question.

I looked at the Aqueous Registry set linked above and its very impressive. However, I've read on CU on several other threads that you can't place cards into registries unless the print run on the card is at least 50. This may be just a myth and not true at all. But if its true, then how is possible to register an Aqueous set, since many believe print runs are only 5-9 per card?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great cards...and I have a dumb question.

I looked at the Aqueous Registry set linked above and its very impressive. However, I've read on CU on several other threads that you can't place cards into registries unless the print run on the card is at least 50. This may be just a myth and not true at all. But if its true, then how is possible to register an Aqueous set, since many believe print runs are only 5-9 per card? >>

I think that the "50 or more" print run rule only applies to player sets, but I could be wrong. Anyway, there are other "short print run" sets on the registry. Check out the 85 Mini's, those have a very limited print run as well.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    If anyone wants to buy them, I have 4 psa graded aqueous and 1 undgraded John Franco DK aqueous.

let me know

rich
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    PM sent.

I also have a Gary Carter PSA 8 from this set still if someone is interested.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Does anyone have a graded or ungraded Bill Ripken from this set for sale?

Thanks.
    Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.

• << <i>When I was trying to sell my SGC Aqueous + Blue/White on ebay, I rec'd alot of emails from collectors looking for O. Smith,D. Murphy and Ripken. >>

Bumping an old thread...

FINALLY picked up an Ozzie Smith in white (paid through the nose for it). Still looking for the Aqueous and Blue.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone grade the Blue / White cards?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Hello, I'm in search for Kirby Puckett's 1990 Donruss Blue front / Steve Sax White back test card to complete my 1990 Aqueous & White/Blue test run. PLEASE let me know if you have one available for sale. I'm also searching desperately for his 1996 Pinnacle Aficionado First Pitch Preview as well.

I saw some comments about his Aqueous cards, the two in my collection are graded by SGA.

Thank you,
    Jeremy
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Jeremy,

That's the first time I've seen any of these cards. Thanks for taking the time to share the scans!

I don't see these cards listed in the Set Registeries. Do you plan on grading them through PSA and adding them?

I was able to get some other Twins cards from this test set for my Senators/Twins type collection but no Puckett for my Kirby Kollection...

Best of luck on your search.

• Hoofhearted, I'm happy to share, the messages i read led me to believe that they hadn't been seen much! I don't have any plans to send the white/blue test off for grading. The aqueous tests are both graded already by sgc, they're both low grades though; a 4 & a 6. Regardless, I'm very happy with them both. I just hope I can find the blue Puckett test to finish them off. Please let me know if anyone has it or the afficionado first pitch preview!

Take care, Jeremy
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never seen that information before. Thanks for posting!!! Very interesting.

I have a Donruss Aqueous test card of George Brett (#144), but unfortunately, I have only one. Sorry. >>

Any chance this one was yours?

$3500 George Brett Aqueous
  • Wow, sick auction.
  • tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's time to list my Ripken image
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Holy poop
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a thread about that auction on here earlier today, and that it was badly shilled?

EDIT: Nevermind... that was on the "other forum".

Apparently the winning bidder has 78% of their bids with this seller? I dunno...
  • I was looking through an old shoe box full of my sports cards as a kid and came across about 25 of these cards I had no idea that were this rare..If anybody is interested in purchasing any of them contact me awmassey@gmail.com..I will be putting a few up on ebay by tomorrow.

<< <i>I will be putting a few up on ebay by tomorrow. >>

Is this one of your auctions?
  • SEACAMSEACAM Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Jeremy,

Is there a Brett in the white / blue test ?

Jerry
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure this has been asked and answered but is there anything different (from the regular issue) about these cards, aside from the "aqueous test" stamp?
    After the Brett sale, I wouldn't be surprised at all if stamps were made to mimic these, and the number available suddenly grew significantly.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    The stamp is actually printed on the card; all attempts to create a matching stamp have been apparent in the past.

The surface gloss of the card is the only other distinguishing feature.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The stamp is actually printed on the card; all attempts to create a matching stamp have been apparent in the past.

The surface gloss of the card is the only other distinguishing feature. >>

thanks, have always wondered the same thing.

<< <i>Is there a Brett in the white / blue test ? >>

No.
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    auctions look legit to me
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I will be putting a few up on ebay by tomorrow. >>

Is this one of your auctions? >>

The auctions say Memphis but his profile says he is in Mississippi.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The auctions say Memphis but his profile says he is in Mississippi. >>

Olive Branch and Southaven are major suburbs of Memphis that are located in Mississippi. Perhaps that's the location?
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
    Bob,

Why is the print run on these cards between 5 - 10?

Is this even true / accurate?

In 2006 When Alex Gordon was a rookie card ..... there were rumors about a small print run of his full card that leaked out .....
    The numbers seemed to grow and grow and grow...

Could this be the same with these donruss issue cards?

Just thought I'd ask someone who might know.

Thanks
    5 to 10 is probably going to turn out to be a little low, but not by too much. These cards are now 22 years old, so if the number of each was going to grow by a multiple of 5 to 10, we'd see more of them for sale than we do. The ones that are on eBay right now are from a single seller who's found a couple of boxes of cards--mostly low numbers (1-160). There are a few other eBay auctions that have been running for a while without any sales (or few sales). The high numbers that I look for EVERY DAY are just not out there.

The commons in this set should sell for around $10 or so. Stars? Who know.
    Thanks for info...
    Which numbers are considered high numbers?
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Just read through the whole thread--very interesting read.

If Chandy's story is true about how he acquired the cards, does anyone think there are unopened boxes stored/stashed away somewhere out there? Or do you think most of what exists has already been through circulation at least once?
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro

<< <i>Thanks for info...
    Which numbers are considered high numbers? >>

I consider 166-283 to be high numbers, although 166 might not be exact. As to the question about unopened boxes or packs, I'm not really sure. I tend to think that Chandy and the Wisconsin source were the sole recipients of the unopened boxes.
  • i'm SUPER LATE on replying to this but yes that was one of my auctions..i usually post on ebay under carl_rando or abdulwaahid22
    Warning: There's a current auction for a bogus 1990 Donruss Aqueous card of Mariano Duncan on eBay. Here's a link.

Problems with the auction:
    1) Card is numbered 684. Aqueous cards don't go that high.
    2) Stamp on back is fake. Real cards aren't "stamped". The AQUEOUS TEST label is built into the card itself (i.e., same as all of the ink on the back)
    3) Stamp is misplaced. On all real Aqueous cards, the "T" in TEST cuts through 3B in the statistic headings.
    4) Stamp is smeared.
    Looks like he already sold another one.
  • I reported the auction. We'll have to see if it gets pulled. Too bad for the person that bought the Bo Jackson.

Kevin
  • i knew that Mariano Duncan card looked fake because the stamp on the back didnt look anything like the ones on the back of mine..I will report the auction also to see if ebay will pull it faster.
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    sad....
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Thanks for the info. I posted your findings on another board.

<< <i>Warning: There's a current auction for a bogus 1990 Donruss Aqueous card of Mariano Duncan on eBay. Here's a link.

Problems with the auction:
    1) Card is numbered 684. Aqueous cards don't go that high.
    2) Stamp on back is fake. Real cards aren't "stamped". The AQUEOUS TEST label is built into the card itself (i.e., same as all of the ink on the back)
    3) Stamp is misplaced. On all real Aqueous cards, the "T" in TEST cuts through 3B in the statistic headings.
    4) Stamp is smeared. >>

imageimageimage
    Just wanted to archive this photo for future reference:

Edit to add Bo:

I didn't realize there was a Griffey too:

• It looks like eBay pulled it, but some people got ripped off first.

Kevin
  • tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    Oh and for reference, the ones AbdulWaahid had for sale are definitely legit. The one I won from him matches up perfectly to one I already had.

Thanks for the auction!
  • I appreciate the reference...that sucks that be getting ripped off..what a lame thing to do
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭