Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Emmitt Smith memorabilia card set

I'm finally getting around to organizing my cards with the help of my ImageEvent album. I'm tired of buying duplicates by mistake because I'm too lazy to be organized. I plan on having different albums for jersey/memorabilia cards, "regular" cards and autographed cards.

This is the start of my jersey card set. I was sending all of my jersey cards to BGS but have decided not to anymore. Nothing wrong with their service, it's just a lot of the thicker cards are not in the best condition. A low grade on a slab detracts from the appearance imo.

I'm using one screws and magnetic holders now. I'm quite happy with the way they look especially the ProTech Quick Flip holders. Here's am example of the holder. I really like these holders because they are slim and really show off the card and not the holder. They are also really well made a breeze to use.

Here's a link in anyone cares to browse what I have loaded so far. I plan on adding lots more over the next few days and will bump the thread once I add them. Feel free to sign the quest-book as well.

link

Thanks!

Comments

• Nice cards!

Yeah, I agree with you about not sending in memorabilia cards to be slabbed. I have almost 150 Jackie Robinson memorabilia cards and only 1 is slabbed (bought it that way). I like being able to touch the memorabilia if I want to.

-Jason
  • Nice collection. I like those holders.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Nice card!

I slab my thick memorabilia cards with BGS but sub with a minimum grade of 9 our authenticate. I expect to get the Authentic grade but like the slab for the $5-10 it costs. Just one man's opinion.
    Hook'em
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    WOW, those are amazing!! Congratulations on putting that collection together.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    I would like to donate a card to this amazing collection. Love Emmitt. As long as you don't care what Uniform he is in, I will send it. PM me an address, and I will get it shipped in a day or so. Great collection!!!!
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Matt,

Nice to see you posting a bit more over here.

Great cards as always! Happy Holidays!
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies

• Great set Matt, and great idea. I know how those dups feel when you realize you already have it. image
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey thanks for the kind words fellas. I've uploaded all my BGS slabbed cards to the set. I'm organizing by year, in alphabetical order. I'm also putting the card info under each card. It's time consuming but well worth the effort. The set is unorganized starting with card # 119. Everything prior to that is named and in the proper spot. I'm hoping to have the rest of the BGS cards done within the next few days and then I will upload my PSA slabs.

Did not see this one yet, or the Dorsett/Smith from the same set.....cmon Matt, you are slacking...LOL

or this one
    Are those yours Wolf? Next question. If so, are they for sale? image
    Finally done uploading all my graded slabs. I finished the BGS cards yesterday and the PSA cards today. Everything is listed according to year.

Thanks for looking.
    They are mine....I am working on this 50 card set....about just over half way done. All these cards are #d to 100....with the exception of the Manning/Unitas (DT-1) which is #d to only 25. It's amazing how hard some of these are to find. I have been on and off this set for approx. 2 years. I have a feeling some of these are buried deep in player collections never to see the light of day again. I have yet to see one of Montana/Rice available for sale, or any of the ones with Marino. I was actually hoping to see the Smith/Dorsett in your collection, so I could try to pry it from your grip....LOL. Here is what I have so far....with the Butkus/Singletary in route. If anyone can help, I'm always in the market for ones you don't see here. Thank You!

2003 Leaf Limited Double Threads set
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff Matt! Your Emmit collection is one of my favorites.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

<< <i>Great stuff Matt! Your Emmit collection is one of my favorites.

Abe >>

Thank you Abe!

<< <i>They are mine....I am working on this 50 card set....about just over half way done. All these cards are #d to 100....with the exception of the Manning/Unitas (DT-1) which is #d to only 25. It's amazing how hard some of these are to find. I have been on and off this set for approx. 2 years. I have a feeling some of these are buried deep in player collections never to see the light of day again. I have yet to see one of Montana/Rice available for sale, or any of the ones with Marino. I was actually hoping to see the Smith/Dorsett in your collection, so I could try to pry it from your grip....LOL. Here is what I have so far....with the Butkus/Singletary in route. If anyone can help, I'm always in the market for ones you don't see here. Thank You!

2003 Leaf Limited Double Threads set >>

That's a nice set wolf, good luck completing it.

<< <i> I was actually hoping to see the Smith/Dorsett in your collection, so I could try to pry it from your grip....LOL. >>

Sorry man. If I had it, that would never happen image
    Today's exciting mail day!

2001 Upper Deck Game Gear Helmets #ESH

imageimage

Smith/Green/Williams/Martin 2002 Pacific Heads Up Game Worn Jersey Quads

2004 Playoff Hogg Heaven Hogg of Fame Jerseys Gold Prime #HF8 21/25

2010 Limited America's Team Threads Autographs Prime #13 9/15

2010 Limited America's Team Threads Autographs #13 15/22

2011 Certified Immortals Mirror Red Jersey #292 98/100

2011 Certified Immortals Mirror Gold Signatures Jersey #292 6/25

Last but not least, here are the cards wolf sent me. Thanks man! I didn't have the Donruss Classics /50 card image

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Buying duplicates isn't a mistake; it's working on cornering the market.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Matt! One of these days I will re-organize my collection and share (again) as well... it's a ton of work!

"Buying duplicates isn't a mistake; it's working on cornering the market."

I represent that remark!... and love it!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great cards! Really nice looking.

Also if anyone here buys auto and game used cards, i have an auction lot up for sale now. A lot of really good cards. Stars and Hall of Famers. Just take a look.

LINK
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
    New additions:

2003 Fleer Showcase Football's Best Jerseys #FBES

2002 Fleer Authentix Stadium Classics Memorabilia #SCES

2008 Donruss Elite Throwback Threads #31 69/199

You do realize of course, that this is a never ending quest right?.....LOL. I'm sure that you will love EVERY minute of it. Looking good Matt.

<< <i>You do realize of course, that this is a never ending quest right?.....LOL. I'm sure that you will love EVERY minute of it. Looking good Matt. >>

Yep.

I tried to just stick with his playing years cards but the new ones kept calling my name image
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    nice collection !

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    No Dancing the Stars swatch card?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

<< <i>No Dancing the Stars swatch card? >>

Haaaaa!That's actually a good idea. Maybe a piece of of those gold dancing shoes?
  • These cards are awesome. Congrats!
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
    Thanks guys. Today's additions:

2008 Donruss Threads Century Legends Materials Prime #1 20/50

2004 Ultra Season Crowns Game Used Silver #34 044/149

2002 Fleer Focus JE Materialistic Plus #6 118/250

I always liked this card. The pic is printed on jersey fabric.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Matt!! Your collection is fantastic! Those cards look great in those holders.
    Thanks Bob!

This card sat in an ebay store for months harassing me to buy it. I finally made the seller an offer and he took it. It just arrived today.

2001 Fleer Legacy Hall of Fame Material #ES Emmitt Smith

Today's lone addition:

Emmitt Smith/Tony Gwynn/Mario Lemieux
    2002-03 UD SuperStars Legendary Leaders Triple Jersey #TEM 11/250

• thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Matt, you have a great collection. Thanks for starting an interesting thread.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff Matt, great to see you around alot these days. Im jealous that I could never stay as focused as you on your collecting goals, do you have a rough estimate on how many different Emmitt cards you own?

BTW Hi MATT image

<< <i>Matt, you have a great collection. Thanks for starting an interesting thread. >>

Thanks Dan!

<< <i>Awesome stuff Matt, great to see you around alot these days. Im jealous that I could never stay as focused as you on your collecting goals, do you have a rough estimate on how many different Emmitt cards you own?

BTW Hi MATT image >>

Thanks Paul! Not sure how many I have but lets just say Tonya is mad at me for the lack of closet space she has image

I have cards in closets in four separate rooms. I'd love to one day get my own card room but that will have to wait till the kids move out in about 20 years image
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭

Matt, I really like this holder. Is this the one that opens up like a cell phone?
    I have one that someone sent me with the purchase of a raw card, but the holder seems to
    fit a brick patch card. Do you know who makes these, or what they're called?

BTW, this card looks awfully familar image

Nevermind, just read your first post....Protech quick flip holders. I'll have to look them up.

Edit again ...... none on ebay. image

Another Edit..... I googled and found them. Too expensive...I'll stick with CS1 and Top Loaders. image
    LOL Bryan!

Btw, here's a link to the seller that has them on ebay. They come in 35pt (regular cards), 85pt (thick cards), 135pt (really thick cards).

They are actually pretty cheap. A lot cheaper than one screws.

link
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt, Get busy counting I want an answer!!!!image

<< <i>Matt, Get busy counting I want an answer!!!!image >>

LOL Paul! I actually have plans on uploading my whole PSA set to the same site I have my BGS and jersey card set at. I have 1613 graded Emmitt cards in my registry set. I have another 200+ that need to be added to the composite. I also have a boatload of PSA dups. Of course then theres the raw stash which I have no idea how many I have.
    Today's magnificent creation.

2011 Panini Gold Standard Golden Anniversary Materials #47 12/99

• Hi Matt,

Your Emmitt collection seems to be second to none. Back in the day I had a quest to obtain Every Emmitt card. Obviously I failed at that crazy task, but I did aquire lots of Emmitt cards. I fell out of the loop on modern cards to concentrate on my 70's Football sets since then. I know many of the "Base Cards" are minimal at best, but beings you are the king of Emmitt cards I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction as to weather any of the Emmitt cards I have are worth Grading and weather BGS is the way to go as far as selling any of the cards.

A few of the cards Im thinking about grading:

I actually have this card already in SGC 98. I know its just a base card, but it is my All-time Favorite Emmmit Card and I think the Best card of his entire Career.

Anything worth grading with these Pro-Set cards?

This was a fairly hot card at one time.

Anything here?

Im told there are three different version of this card. The Blue being the rarest.

Anything look worthwhile here?

John

<< <i>Hi Matt,

Your Emmitt collection seems to be second to none. Back in the day I had a quest to obtain Every Emmitt card. Obviously I failed at that crazy task, but I did aquire lots of Emmitt cards. I fell out of the loop on modern cards to concentrate on my 70's Football sets since then. I know many of the "Base Cards" are minimal at best, but beings you are the king of Emmitt cards I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction as to weather any of the Emmitt cards I have are worth Grading and weather BGS is the way to go as far as selling any of the cards.

John >>

Hey John. Most of the cards you posted are pretty easy to find in PSA slabs already. That said, they wouldn't really be worth grading especially if there's a chance that they won't get 10's. My suggestion would be to only grade his rookie cards. You can't go wrong having graded rc's of a HOF player. I would then buy some of these slab-like magnetic one touches for your other cards. They are nicely made and look great in person.

If you don't plan on starting a large player registry, I see no need to grade common base cards.

link

Today's mail bag:

2003 Donruss Classics Membership VIP Jerseys #M14 95/100

Great 3 color patch.

Last few mail days:

2002 Fleer Focus JE Materialistic Away #5 41/50

2002 Hot Prospects Red Hot Materials Proof #HMES /50 Missing serial #

2002 Playoff Piece Of The Game Materials 1ST Down #20 143/250

2003 SP Game Used Edition Field Fabrics Gold #ES 74/75

2002 Donruss Classics Classic Pigskin #CP4 166/250

• I see white on those corners. You need to color those in.

<< <i>I see white on those corners. You need to color those in. >>

I only color cards I have graded Bryan.
  • Atta boy!
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    A huge fan of #22 here, that is a great collection.
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    I love this thread Matt!

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
    Today's lovely treasures:

set link:

link

2008 Upper Deck Premier Rare Materials Triple #PP3SM 07/50

2008 Upper Deck Premier Rare Materials Dual 65 #PP2SM 48/65

2001 Topps Chrome King of Kings Jerseys #KES 61/150

2007 Topps Performance Skill Sets Running Backs Triple Relics Bronze #SSRES 13/50

2009 Certified Immortals Mirror Red Materials #205 Jersey 86/100

2009 Certified Immortals #205 Emmitt Smith Jersey 11/250

2002 Playoff Piece of the Game Materials #66J Jersey 89/250

2002 Fleer Tradition Classic Combinations Memorabilia #1 Marcus Allen Jersey

2002 Fleer Throwbacks Super Stars Memorabilia #7