Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pujols an Angel

Local News is reporting that the Angels have signed Pujols for 10 years 250 million.

Comments

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Yup
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the story is correct.
    James

Pujols To Angels
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    What a middle finger to St. Louis. I think Pujols' popularity will take a drop just like LeBron's; not as significant, since Pujols didn't announce his "decision" in primetime, but there will be a drop.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    looking forward to the hoard of billboards with his happy, wealthy face smiling down at Kobe. image
  • Options

<< <i>looking forward to the hoard of billboards with his happy, wealthy face smiling down at Kobe. image >>

LOL!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What a middle finger to St. Louis. >>

I think it was the middle finger to Cards' management. It was obvious to me that he was very unhappy with them and strung them out last year.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What a middle finger to St. Louis. I think Pujols' popularity will take a drop just like LeBron's; not as significant, since Pujols didn't announce his "decision" in primetime, but there will be a drop. >>

I don't think it's fair to compare Pujols to LeBron. Pujols was an absolute class act all his career (he's to the 00s what Griffey was to the 90s) and LeBron (especially leading up to his switch to the Heat) was a big "me me me" guy. And I don't recall Pujols doing some gimmick show announcing his decision.

Still it would've been nice to see Pujols stay in St. Louis and get his number retired (that may still happen). I'm not so sure what the Angels offered that made them stand out above the others (I doubt it was money) but I wish him the best.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those damn large market teams are ruining the game image
    Daniel
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW! Was that a surprise? I didn't hear too much about the Angels during this time. After hearing that the Marlins backed down I really thought he was going to sign with the Cards.

A QUARTER of a BILLION DOLLARS. NOT a bad payday.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pujols was an absolute class act all his career >>

Uhhhhh....no. A-jols

<< <i>I'm not so sure what the Angels offered that made them stand out above the others (I doubt it was money) >>

I doubt it wasn't. The rumored offer from the Cardinals was 10 years/$220M and sources last night said that the media reports were wrong on both the years and the amount. I would imagine that if the Cards had offered anything resembling the 10 years/$250M he signed for, he would have been a Cardinal for life.

edited to add: just read this on espn.com: sources told Olney that the Cardinals' latest offer was for nine years and a little less than $200 million
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭
    WOW! That is quite a surprise. I really thought he would stay in St. Louis. Having said that I think it's silly to sign a guy for 10 years... no matter who it is!
  • Options

<< <i>Having said that I think it's silly to sign a guy for 10 years... no matter who it is! >>

Especially when they will be 48 by the time the contact is out.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I would have preferred he stay in St. Louis, but I can't blame the guy for taking an extra $60 million dollars. And it isn't like he's going to a crappy franchise. It's a good weather, well-supported team with good management and a large Latino fan base. Win-win for Pujols.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>WOW! Was that a surprise? I didn't hear too much about the Angels during this time. >>

props to Scioscia, who may have fended off speculation by claiming to be more interested in additional pitching.

they conducted their negotiations cleverly and now it appears they will have their cake and eat it, too.
  • Options
    Good for Albert. It was obvious St. Louis didn't want to keep him. Now he has a nice new team, new contract and he'll get to DH when he gets older.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good for Albert. It was obvious St. Louis didn't want to keep him. Now he has a nice new team, new contract and he'll get to DH when he gets older. >>

He already is older. We'll see how he does now that MLB is testing for HGH.
    Mike
  • Options
    wronglegwrongleg Posts: 441 ✭✭
    Busy day in Anaheim! The Angels have added CJ Wilson. 5 yr 77.5 million
  • Options
    Timely sale of all them rookie cards,,, hmmmm,, insider trading info maybe??,,, lol,,bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good for Albert. It was obvious St. Louis didn't want to keep him. Now he has a nice new team, new contract and he'll get to DH when he gets older. >>

He already is older. We'll see how he does now that MLB is testing for HGH. >>

Good point.

I really suspect him based on his physical appearance and of course the crazy numbers.

Seems like Manny was able to keep it quiet in Boston but things unfurled for him after moving over to thge Dodgers.

Same thing could happen to Pujols if the people keeping his nose clean in St. Louis aren't around anymore (+ MLB is testing).

It is very difficult to prove use of HGH unless people turn you in as a user.

I will say that regardless he is without a peer in his domination of the 00's, though I wouldn't have bet the farm he'll dominate the first TWENTY years of this baseball century.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    I'm shocked
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    In the past, he said it wasn't about the money. This seems to imply otherwise.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    Did someone say Pujols is a bunghole? Anyone want to buy my Pujols collection? I no longer want it !!!
  • Options
    I think fans of sports in general, want to see star athletes stick with one team. I was shocked when I read this news this mornig. Does the Cards now make a move for Prince?
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does the Cards now make a move for Prince? >>

Previously they said they would not. Although I hope they rethink that.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options

<< <i>

Previously they said they would not. Although I hope they rethink that. >>

If I had my choice, I would take Feilder hands down. Hes younger and healtier. I would love to see him in a Cleveland uniform.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    So Fandango is at which bar in St. Louis drowning his sorrows?

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>

<< <i>

Previously they said they would not. Although I hope they rethink that. >>

If I had my choice, I would take Feilder hands down. Hes younger and healtier. I would love to see him in a Cleveland uniform. >>

He may be younger but I would be willing to bet that he's younger than Pujols when he's out of baseball. He's a heavy dude and I see some severe knee problems in his future. That being said, I hope the Cards consider him now.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the past, he said it wasn't about the money. This seems to imply otherwise. >>

maybe not entirely true, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Marlins were actually the highest bidders for Pujols, offering a laughable 10-year $275 million contract.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In the past, he said it wasn't about the money. This seems to imply otherwise. >>

maybe not entirely true, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Marlins were actually the highest bidders for Pujols, offering a laughable 10-year $275 million contract. >>

I thought I heard they backed off their offer.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

maybe not entirely true, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Marlins were actually the highest bidders for Pujols, offering a laughable 10-year $275 million contract. >>

The reported 10 year / $275 million deal was never on the table according to many sources. The Marlins' offer supposedly topped out at 10 years / $240 million.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think their are intangibles that allured Albert to the Angels. If true that the Marlins offered more money and you can add the lower tax rate in Florida there must be other reasons for going to LA.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>I think their are intangibles that allured Albert to the Angels. If true that the Marlins offered more money and you can add the lower tax rate in Florida there must be other reasons for going to LA. >>

Its called a wife.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I thought I heard they backed off their offer. >>

they did after realizing that they were being used to drive up the Cards' & Angels' offers.
  • Options
    Pujols is full of BS.

In the past, he said money and records were not a motivating factor for him. He said that, because that was his defense against PED use...since money and records were of no importance to him, then he felt there was no reason for him to even use them. In fact, he said "ONLY" God mattered to him. That was his defense.

In fact, he offered up to take a test to prove he didn't use...a test we are still waiting for.

Anyone with a half of a brain already knew that it was all BS, but this really confirms it...well at least I hope it does, especially to the Cardinal fans who gave a blind allegiance to him and his lies. Maybe they will now see that he is not worthy of such an allegiance...and he indeed is as likely to have used PED's just like the next guy. He is no different.

Repeat, he is no different than all the others.

No different.

This guy has been using since High School!
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options

<< <i>Pujols is full of BS.

In the past, he said money and records were not a motivating factor for him. He said that, because that was his defense against PED use...since money and records were of no importance to him, then he felt there was no reason for him to even use them. In fact, he said "ONLY" God mattered to him. That was his defense.

In fact, he offered up to take a test to prove he didn't use...a test we are still waiting for.

Anyone with a half of a brain already knew that it was all BS, but this really confirms it...well at least I hope it does, especially to the Cardinal fans who gave a blind allegiance to him and his lies. Maybe they will now see that he is not worthy of such an allegiance...and he indeed is as likely to have used PED's just like the next guy. He is no different.

Repeat, he is no different than all the others.

No different.

This guy has been using since High School! >>

High school you say?

• Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Pujols just perdicted 8 titles with the Halos. said he's also going to toss the chalk in the air every time he steps up to the plate!!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    This is a joke, it has become the Marlins and Angels. What happen with the good old days when the Sox and Yanks were the only ones overpaying.
  • Options

<< <i>Pujols just perdicted 8 titles with the Halos. said he's also going to toss the chalk in the air every time he steps up to the plate!! >>

He's gonna need a reinforced earflap if he does....
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Pujols set career lows last year in...Batting Average, OB%, and SLG%. THe OB% and SLG% were well below his career averages.

ALbert was '31' last season.

I know that HGH testing is here...though I don't know how good it will be.

Albert, who is said to be turning 32(in January) just signed a 10 year deal, coming off the worst season of his career...and it is possible that he really may be turning 34 or 35 this season.

There is a very slight possibility he tries to play clean with no PED use in the future...depending on how good the tests are. If so, the Cardinals may be breathing a sigh of relief right now.

It is very possible Albert just had an off year....it happens all the time. It will be fun seeing how things play out.

It already is fun seeing this liar be exposed...and his legions of blind worshipers crying in their Cheerios, LOL
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Good for Albert!

He's signing the final job contract for his career, so why not make it a huge payday?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>Good for Albert!

He's signing the final job contract for his career, so why not make it a huge payday? >>

Yup,

He is one rich liar image

I would lie too for all that dough.
  • Options

<< <i>Good for Albert!

He's signing the final job contract for his career, so why not make it a huge payday? >>

I honestly have no opinion one way of the other on Pujols as a person, but I hope this contract proves to be a HUGE albatross for the Angels. I hate that team, and I also hate the idea of these huge long-term deals. Players whine all the time about being underpaid early in their career, but I never hear any of them agreeing to kick some back when the last few years of these deals aren't matched by production.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...In other baseball news, the Pirates resigned Nate McLouth and Erik Bedard. Hey, at least MLB implemented a draft spending cap to prevent the Pirates and other small market teams from hoarding all the talent.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Pujols set career lows last year in...Batting Average, OB%, and SLG%. THe OB% and SLG% were well below his career averages.
    It is very possible Albert just had an off year....it happens all the time. It will be fun seeing how things play out.LOL >>

If you look at how he started out the first two months of the season you can tell that the last four months were right up there with his numbers from past years. If he started out well and then went down hill I think you could argue age. Not so, IMO, last year. BTW ... I am NOT a PUjols die hard.

................G......AB....R.....H.....2B.....3B..HR....RBI....BB...IBB...SO...SB....CS......AVG..OBP..SLG..OPS
    April........26.....101...21....26....1......0......7......18....10.....1......11....2......0.......257..319...475...794
    May.........29.....111...12....32....5......0.....2.......13....12.....0......11....2......0......288...365...387..752
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    We should revisit this thread in 8 years and determine how well this trade worked out for the Angels...
  • Options

<< <i>He is one rich liar >>

Just so I can be clear, are you talking about his age, PED use, something else, or a blanket "everything that comes out of his mouth"?

• Options
    Doug,

That type of in season trend really doesn't have a lot of correlation to continue the hot part of his season, onto the next season, just because it was at the end. Often times it is just the random time of when he is hot or not. This 'slump' just happened at the beginning of the season. Sometimes it is in the middle, sometimes sprinkled throughout.

Also, historically, offense is usually at its higher during the last couple of months.

Unless it was a clear detrimental injury to blame for the slow start, then it is all part of his performance.

It could just be a down year...happens all the time. Could be a sign too. Will be fun to see how it plays out.
  • Options

<< <i>We should revisit this thread in 8 years and determine how well this trade worked out for the Angels... >>

Well, it's a good sign that the Angels fans are all happy.

When the Giants signed Barry Zito to 7/$126, the general reaction from Giants fans was "WTF!?" Today, most Giants fans have dropped the "WT" and simply say "F!" when Zito's name comes up.