Home Precious Metals

Cool Engelhard set in lucite

I know SilverBaron own one of these sets, which is one of the coolest set I have aver seen.

It seems from the picture, as stated from the seller, that the gold and platinum coins are doubled up.
I wasn't aware of that. SilverBaron, is that true?

Engelhard
The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

Comments

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    image Now how do you crack them openimageimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    is it the reflection making it look like its doubled up?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>is it the reflection making it look like its doubled up? >>

Check the 7th picture, it seems that all but the silver one are double up.
    It doesn't make much sense to me but it look that way.
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing its a reflection.

From a previous post from Silver baron regarding the set he owns,
    "This is an Engelhard Executive Desk set from 1983 featuring a Proof example of

the 1 oz. Silver, 4 sizes of Gold and the 1 oz. Platinum Prospector. I cannot tell you

how RARE ( yes, I used the "R" word ) this set is. I, of course, do not know how many of these were

made ....... but I would be willing to bet it was between 1 and 12 !!"
  • The auction says the gold and platinum coins are doubled up
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • How do we know silver baron isn't selling his?! Just saying.

I for one think it is the reflection.
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe they are doubled up as stated in the auction. If you look closely at some of the gold coins on the edge view, you can see a slight misalignment. And if it was purely a reflection issue, why is the silver coin lacking this feature?
  • as stated from the seller, that the gold and platinum coins are doubled up. I wasn't aware of that. SilverBaron, is that true?

Yes ......... Everything but the silver is doubled.

is it the reflection making it look like its doubled up?

No .......... The silver is a single ......... The Pt and the golds are all doubles.

How do we know silver baron isn't selling his?! Just saying.

NO ....... This is NOT my set ........... It would have to be so cold in "----" ......... image

why is the silver coin lacking this feature?

I really do not know ............ Maybe it had something to do with the over all thickness ??

It is strange if they are doubled, for what purpose? It would seem to be a waste of precious metals.

If your the CEO, President or ?? of Engelhard .......

Keep on stack'n!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • It is strange if they are doubled, for what purpose? It would seem to be a waste of precious metals.

• << <i>

<< <i>is it the reflection making it look like its doubled up? >>

Check the 7th picture, it seems that all but the silver one are double up.
    It doesn't make much sense to me but it look that way. >>

The single silver coin is about the same thickness as the other coins when doubled up, don't know what the significance is but I believe that it plays a part in answering why they are doubled up.
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Thank you SB!

So, $10K is not a bad price!

PS. I knew it wasn't yours...image
  • Is it possible these coins were made from non-precious metals for display?

I'm trying to understand why they would waste gold and platinum like that in 1983.

• secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting set, but it takes a unique buyer to want and appreciate something like that.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it possible these coins were made from non-precious metals for display?

I'm trying to understand why they would waste gold and platinum like that in 1983. >>

If they were made to be given out as executive gifts to clients it wouldn't be considered a waste. This would most likely sit on the desk of an executive Engelhard did or would like to do business with serving as a constant reminder. It's actually done in most corporations in one form or another. I wish the ones piled up in my closet had gold, silver and platinum in them. Sadly, they are mostly goofy Tiffany stuff with some etched on them. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

• << <i>

<< <i>Is it possible these coins were made from non-precious metals for display?

I'm trying to understand why they would waste gold and platinum like that in 1983. >>

If they were made to be given out as executive gifts to clients it wouldn't be considered a waste. This would most likely sit on the desk of an executive Engelhard did or would like to do business with serving as a constant reminder. It's actually done in most corporations in one form or another. I wish the ones piled up in my closet had gold, silver and platinum in them. Sadly, they are mostly goofy Tiffany stuff with some etched on them. MJ >>

That is almost $2,000 in 1983 and trapped in Lucite, someone really must have trusted the cleaning lady. image
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is almost $2,000 in 1983 and trapped in Lucite, someone really must have trusted the cleaning lady. image >>

Or maybe turning his PMs into the size of a brick made it harder for them to "fall into someone's pocket"? image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

<< <i>

<< <i>

If they were made to be given out as executive gifts to clients it wouldn't be considered a waste. This would most likely sit on the desk of an executive Engelhard did or would like to do business with serving as a constant reminder. It's actually done in most corporations in one form or another. I wish the ones piled up in my closet had gold, silver and platinum in them. Sadly, they are mostly goofy Tiffany stuff with some etched on them. MJ >>

That is almost $2,000 in 1983 and trapped in Lucite, someone really must have trusted the cleaning lady. image >>

I would have cleaned my own office image

SB- What is the "correct" price for one of these sets in your opinion?

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • I have one of these engelhard desk sets, any ideas on the value? Thanx dave
  • I have one of these engelhard desk sets, any ideas on the value? Thanx dave

I am always a buyer at $10K. Just send me a message. image

Keep on Stack'n!!
    Silver Baron

• << <i>I have one of these engelhard desk sets, any ideas on the value? Thanx dave

I am always a buyer at $10K. Just send me a message. image

Keep on Stack'n!! >>

SB, are you trying to corner the market of Engelhard lucites?! image
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have one of these engelhard desk sets, any ideas on the value? Thanx dave >>

Please post a picture.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • SB, are you trying to corner the market of Engelhard lucites?

I live in a very drafty cave .... I need lots of paper weights! image
    Silver Baron
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Why have all the pictures been removered from the auction? I guess I'm late to this, was this done before or after the end of the auction. I did not sell for $10k when SB siggest $10K is a deal.
    Sorry, just trying to catch up on what happened with this auction. I didn't know pictures could be removed form an auction if the auction ran its entire duration.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

• << <i>Why have all the pictures been removered from the auction? I guess I'm late to this, was this done before or after the end of the auction. I did not sell for $10k when SB siggest $10K is a deal.
    Sorry, just trying to catch up on what happened with this auction. I didn't know pictures could be removed form an auction if the auction ran its entire duration. >>

Thread was from 2011.

• Picture. Courtesy of SB.

edited to add: image

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Thread was from 2011.

that's what taking percocet after having surgery will do to you image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Thats cool!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you! Can't believe anything is "doubled" in the setting. Would have been totally pointless.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That set is soooo nice,

Good night gentlemen.

It's all about what the people want...

I still want one

MJ
  • OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

Well this thread is over five years old, but a friend just had one of these exact sets walk into his shop, and I've got the opportunity to buy it. Anyone still interested in one?

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I still want one

MJ

Yes....they look really cool.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OwenSeymour said:
    Well this thread is over five years old, but a friend just had one of these exact sets walk into his shop, and I've got the opportunity to buy it. Anyone still interested in one?

Contact @Justacommeman and give him a great deal. He needs some good fortune coming back his way and you will reap vast quantities of good karma.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • BIG Thank You to O.S. My kind of PROFESSIONAL!! :)

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EngelMan said:
    BIG Thank You to O.S. My kind of PROFESSIONAL!! :)

to the forums!

• New Member and old thread. My apologies. I have one of these is anyone interested in buying it?

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gmantrade70 said:
    New Member and old thread. My apologies. I have one of these is anyone interested in buying it?

Welcome!
    If you would like to sell please post it here to get more views
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1026490/the-official-october-2019-precious-metals-buy-sell-trade-thread#latest

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't rush to sell it, be prepared to ship before payment or use 3rd party escrow... newbie ;)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

You might want to put it on a scale, those Chocolate Engelhard’s don’t weigh to much

keceph `anah