Home Precious Metals
Options

Serious question for the serious survivalist here-

Serious question for the serious survivalist here-

Some of you know I have SF background, survival training in multiple environments and have been to Wold Survival Institute schools, several, desert, arctic, mountain cold weather, etc. I can hack it in the outdoors with minimal tools. I do have a car and bug out bag and am considering carrying a small, fanny pack type BOFP (Bug Out Fanny Pack). real questions so I need honest answers and if you don't want to reveal it that is fine, I will answer to the best of mine what I can.

The small fanny pack, actually more likely would go in a cargo pocket or 2 will have the following items period.

-Sig 238 loaded and 1 extra magazine loaded.
-A Microtech front opening knife.
-An extra passport- legit, but not US (Long story and legal to have, PM with questions)
-My DL, CHL, DoD/NSA Gov't ID $2200 cash in (11- $100's, 9-50's, 20-$20's, 17- $10's, 15 $5's, 10-$1's), 2 Credit Cards (1 AMEX 1 VISA) and a CC size magnifying glass. All this wrapper in a clip and in a small water proof, fold over velcro bag.
- Gold (Italian made can't remember name) cigarette ligher.
- 1 Pack of Marlboro Ultra Lights, half empty, in the other half -(18 10mg Vicodin and 18 8mgorphiphine for my back in a small bottle) and a roll of dime's (30 pre-64 silver dimes and 22 1/10 oz. AGE),a AAA mag lite, and a 64 GB Flash Drive with info stored and encrypted on it.

Think about it, the package is very small and I would have my I-Phone and regular wallet with a few $$, few CC, Costo Card, AA Advantage First Class Lounge Card,lose change and etc. I also always have my sunglasses on my face, head or back collar. Other than that the only thing I always carry (wear polo's to work everyday) is a S&W tactical LEO pen ( can be used to break car glass or as a sternum rubber to subdue a hostile). Jewelry- )14k gold wedding ring 7.4 grams), Texas A&M class Ring, (14k 30.6 grams) and a 2004 Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust ( If you were company or SF you know which one)

The whole point of this is to get myself out of any situation to get back to my primary life or means of defense or bug out. I travel a lot in the US and some overseas. Should I add more gold, silver, platinum, palladium, a TRAK phone. I may need to fly commercially or rent a plane, buy a dirt bike, used car, take a bus, pay someone to drive me, buy weapons for defense, defend against hostiles, or a million other could happens. So now my questions.

1) What else would you add/delete from the cargo pocket, wallet, back pocket, jewelry? How much Gold in what denominations/weigh/country? How much Silver and in what form? How much cash?

2) In your okay, I'm outta here BOB, how much of which? In many scenarios a Gerber multi-tool, 5.56 ammunition, 12 gauge sub cal adapters, walkies talkies, gas, cigarettes, booze, etc. is so much more valuable than gold, silver or platinum. I once spent 3 weeks in Russia and got around the whole time with a few cartons of Marlboro Red cartons and 35mm film, seriously. Do you take these into consideration? How do you handle your meds, 6 month, 18 month supply or another plan?

Thanks- TN

That

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prepare yourself to dig in and fight. If it gets bad enough to bug out you won't get far because the turmoil will be everywhere.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Depends on what your potential bad guy does. I'd go for a Nuke. MAD, it created peace???? Take care. jws
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Be alert & lil' pain killer/anti freeze
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Prepare yourself to dig in and fight. If it gets bad enough to bug out you won't get far because the turmoil will be everywhere. >>

• Options
    Maybe I should get solid 24K grips with 1/2 carats set in the trigger, 3 n each side.

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭

<< <i> The small fanny pack, actually more likely would go in a cargo pocket or 2 will have the following items period. -Sig 238 loaded and 1 extra magazine loaded. -A Microtech front opening knife. -An extra passport- legit, but not US (Long story and legal to have, PM with questions) -My DL, CHL, DoD/NSA Gov't ID $2200 cash in (11- $100's, 9-50's, 20-$20's, 17- $10's, 15 $5's, 10-$1's), 2 Credit Cards (1 AMEX 1 VISA) and a CC size magnifying glass. All this wrapper in a clip and in a small water proof, fold over velcro bag. - Gold (Italian made can't remember name) cigarette ligher. - 1 Pack of Marlboro Ultra Lights, half empty, in the other half -(18 10mg Vicodin and 18 8mgorphiphine for my back in a small bottle) and a roll of dime's (30 pre-64 silver dimes and 22 1/10 oz. AGE),a AAA mag lite, and a 64 GB Flash Drive with info stored and encrypted on it. >>

Here's what I, personally would change: Full pack of cigs, silver quarters instead of dimes, a couple of 1/4 or 1/2 oz. gold to get you out of a sticky situation, a couple of throw down light sticks, a few of the 'Survival Tabs', a sm. bottle of water purifier or water purifier bottle, or a bottle of water - SOME kind of water is what I am saying, maybe a couple of high calorie snack bars, and one of those tiny tarp/emergency blanket things. A small Bible with pics of loved ones. Maybe one set of extra batteries/trip A's are light.

can you show us a pic of your bag? sounds cool.
  • Options
    stack of Playboys and a six pack

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I missed it but your BOB should also have a fire starter and water purification tablets.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

In a non-tornado situation (which would be the only scenario to run me out of my house), I would take that money and beef up my homestead to be totally self-sufficient.

In your situation, I would agree with PerryHall and have a fire starter and water purification tablets. I would add a couple of energy bars and more pain meds to the pouch especially if you take meds frequently. You're no good to anyone if you can't operate due to pain.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I lived in Southern Cal and witnessed the four seasons of 1994, Earthquakes, Foods, Fire, and Riots, I got very concerned living in an area with 15 million of my closest friends that could turn into a violent mob. What would that place or any other major metropolitan area be like in the event of no food and water or other imposed stresses. Two years later I move up the coast to a small community and finally out to the Rocky Mountain west. I think small communities where people know each other and are willing to help each other can survive the economic and political icebergs that are in the way.

Keep stackin'.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much will depend on where you live..... and where you are trying to go. If you are escaping urban crowds, the mountains or desert are your destination... and the destination is key to what you take (other than the basics, much of which you already have). A really wise move would be to identify your destination. I do understand you travel a bit, and bugging out might mean you are trying to get home. However, if home, plan how long you will remain, and where you will go - have alternate destinations and plan for each (i.e. supplies, routes etc). Placing caches in these destinations now will help in case the need does arise, and reduce what you must carry. Planning always helps, however, a true emergency may be totally different than any anticipated. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would ditch the Rolex and rings. Why make yourself stand out?

All the preparation in the world wouldnt stop a commoner with some hunting experience from taking you out at 200 yards with his grandfathers 30-06.

Get a satellite phone.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chapstick.

edited to add: I would adjust the cash to include Euros and/or whatever is used locally if you are traveling overseas.

If you can have more bulk then more $20s.

If you can have more cigarettes (while keeping the rest of the goodie bag), maybe a full pack so you don't have to pull out your pack and then have someone notice what else is inside.

If you can have more bulk 50 each of the dimes or 1/10 Eagles. Consider Maples depending on where you are. Or sovereigns.

I'm not sure that you need the gold lighter--too flashy unless you mean to trade it--or have that one and a regular one.

Condoms.

And, I'm not sure about the watch either...it does give off a signal and one you may or may not want to. Perhaps keep a G-shock or something you can trade over to.

Small thingy of sunscreen.

Hand sanitizer.

If you are around females tampons are gold.

Just how big is this fanny pack?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've already bugged out to where I plan to stay. I do have a fallback position, but things would have to get fairly uncomfortable before I'd go anywhere else. I seldom fly, almost always drive. When I'm on the road, I carry two weapons, some 90% silver, some cash, some water purification tabs, and some potassium iodide tabs. Sometimes, I'll have a few medications along for contingencies, and a few tools in my trunk.

In your case, some British Gold Sovereigns might be a good idea, or maybe some 1/10th oz. Gold Maples or Austrian Philhamonics. I think your idea of cigarettes & booze would be helpful as well.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to pack the condoms! No survival gear is complete without them.image
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    JMHO: Hummmmmm...Ditch all jewelry. If you have glasses, get an extra set. Get a suture kit and a few little betadine packs. Don't forget mosquito/insect repellant (DEET). Have water purification like iodine tablets. Better to have body packs to carry your goods, strap on, under the clothes. Lose the dimes and pack a couple of rolls of silver quarters and a tube of .10 ozers GAE's. Consider switching to .223 lead heads with a small laser sight and get a holster that will keep it sideways across your belly. Pack some asprin and some benedryl and leave it at that, if you're on serious meds, you might want to reconsider. Carry some ID but no need for a wallet (dl and ss card, amex and m/c, next of kin some 10's and 20's). Keep it all very light. Good lace up shoes that can get wet with some good socks from your sports shop and have extra laces because they can be very handy. A small led flashlight that can hold a spare set of batts. Good knife capable of doing the things you might need. Fire materials. Nicotine patches step 1 (you may not smoke but someone you need might and cigs are toooo bulky). No GPS, turn your phone tracking off, mute to vibrate only and hope you can find a signal when you need one. A cammo sock hat with a waterproof map/s inside. A little pemmican for when you really can't go out. And...a little grace from above. That's a good start but you will have to rely on your snap and skill more than you should rely on supplies. It is better to see then to be seen; to hear than be heard. Might be good to try your rig a few times for a few days just to get your game up and push the learning curve out a little and tighten up your supply situation. Or...you could just move to Baleyville where things are OK.
  • Options
    Ditch the Sig 238, Glock 19 or 26 with extra mags and a QuikClot.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't forget to pack the condoms! No survival gear is complete without them.image >>

I think that TN's first mission after the apocalypse is to help repopulate the earth.image

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or...you could just move to Baleyville where things are OK.

every day for the last 30+ years I've woken before dawn, strapped on body armor, weapons, eaten, hefted bug out bag with what I'll need, and gotten ready to go Road Warrior.

and every night I've taken the stuff back off and gone to sleep.

Question: when bugging out, what's the best way to pack this?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>
    Question: when bugging out, what's the best way to pack this?
    >>

With as much care as you can! (but they don't break, anyway)

Beautiful! image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question: when bugging out, what's the best way to pack this? >>

A Baby Bjorn.

link..check out the customer pictures...

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    If it hasn't been already mentioned...some antibiotics...cipro and flagyl will basically kill any bug on the planet(just about). Don't drink alcohol if taking the flagyl however.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shoot, a feller could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Let me clarify, I have a homestead fully equipped for the long haul. I also have full bug out bags to get out of the area and go into the wilderness or make it to another safe house. This is an everyday package I would carry whether going to six flags, Costco, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Illinois, of just to get gas. This kit is just to get me the means to get to my house or a friendly zone. So that is why it s heavy on cash and CC with some gold and a gun, to get transportation or buy supplies to pack it out into the country to get to another location to get transportation.
  • Options
    Hmmmm.... maybe I will bug out to your place.... you will need someone to take the midwatch.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I'm missing something about the bag - how do you clear customs and security in Europe with a firearm on your person (or in your bags)?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>m missing something about the bag - how do you clear customs and security in Europe with a firearm on your person (or in your bags)? >>

C'mon now, we're talking SF here.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    I def agree about the deet, tiny tools and thought I'd add a 'rad tab' as they don't take up much room/tiny. I am also in agreement about the flashy watch and ring as they will draw attn to you - and unless you plan to trade the gold lighter, I'd get a couple tiny bics instead (which IS a firestarter IMHO). The survival tabs won't take up much room either. You don't have to carry the whole bottle. A few aspirin, bandaids, etc. mite also be good. ie. a tiny 1st aid kit. They also make 'tiny' tool kits. A tiny mirror would be good also, add toothbrush/tiny toothpaste.

• Options
    If TN followed everyones advice, he'd need to rent a U-Haul truck.image

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>m missing something about the bag - how do you clear customs and security in Europe with a firearm on your person (or in your bags)? >>

C'mon now, we're talking SF here. >>

Yep, Science Fiction. Even spec-ops guys have to have permission to carry their weapons, and that's only to designated areas with orders. In a SHTF situation, who can possibly say that even the "elite", "privileged class" or "special people" will be able to carry? Unless you're talking diplomatic pouch kinds of situations, give me a break.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a few thou in cash might be a good idea. Cash has worked miracles for me in lousy situations. If someone has the drop on you......chapstick, marlboros and silver dimes are lousy bargaining chips.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Well, if the local sheriff doesn't like the look of me, and tries to harry me out of town, and then when I walk back across the bridge, and he picks me up and takes me to the local lockup, and then when the sadistic deputy starts hassling me during the shave, and i get flashbacks from 'nam, well I'll just elbow one of them in the neck, and break the other one's nose, and grab my big knife with the hollow handle containing the fishing line and compass and matches, and then hightail it out to the street and grab some guy's dirt bike, and head for the hills!

or, if my Agency thinks I've killed one of our own, and puts the hit out on me, I'll just fight off the assasin, and head to my safe deposit box full of guns, ammo, and alternate passports, and then I'll turn the tables on the Agency!

or, if the Russians parachute in to take over, me and my friends will organize a militia and call ourselves "wolverines" from our high school mascot, and engage in guerrila tactics to turn the tables on the invaders!

or, if everything just goes to hell and the sky goes dark, well I'll just take off on The Road, or if an asteroid is headed our way, or if the Space Aliens invade, or they put me in the big prison that used to be Manhattan, well, I'm prepared for those situations, too!

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    every day for the last 30+ years I've woken before dawn, strapped on body armor, weapons, eaten, hefted bug out bag with what I'll need, and gotten ready to go Road Warrior.

and every night I've taken the stuff back off and gone to sleep

Can we just refer to you as the "High Plains Drifter" of Baleyville, keeping the townfolk safe?image

imageimage

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    People at the business office, dinner parties, the theater, and stores and other places keep asking, "hey, what's in the big backpack you carry with you everywhere and never let out of reach?"

I just wink and give the secret hand sign image

• Options
    Hand sanitizer image
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    Yep, Science Fiction. Even spec-ops guys have to have permission to carry their weapons, and that's only to designated areas with orders. In a SHTF situation, who can possibly say that even the "elite", "privileged class" or "special people" will be able to carry? Unless you're talking diplomatic pouch kinds of situations, give me a break.

And what makes you think I don't do dignitary or MIP protection? Or what if the country I am going to is where the operation is? You don't think I can lock a gun up in the belly of a 777 and get it out when I get to where I am going? If I need a gun and can't bring one then I guess the cash could buy me one couldn't it. You also don't know my TS clearance and have no idea what I can and can't do, just trust me, or don't either way the question still stands.
  • Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what this has to do with PMs?

• Options
    Tin foil hat
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    gotcha

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is making going to make my head explode. Baley, keep the light on as I'm moving in shortly. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Get out of jail FREE Card..
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    What about orientation /night navigation?
    Can you read the stars well enough to travel at night if your cell phone or whatever has no juice?
    That or a compass I guess.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    I actually studied navigation quite a bit day and night. Day is easy with 2 sticks and 15 minutes or a watch and a stick. Night is easy enough once you learn constellations and markers, assuming you know within a few hundred miles of your real location you can easily navigate and I always moved at night for obvious water, food and secrecy reasons.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    chewing gum?

• Options
    A Nicholas Sparks novel, paperback of course to limit the weight load
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    A Nicholas Sparks novel, paperback of course to limit the weight load

Wouldn't potassium cyanide pills be smaller and lighter and far less painful.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a bug out bag but do keep a bad weather bag in my vehicle. In wintertime it contains: Rain gear, space blanket, gloves, long underwear, wool socks, lighter, flashlight, small river bag, ski mask, coat, flashlight, knife, candles and some other misc. Summertime change out some of the serious cold weather items.
    TN...that is a cool looking Sig. Looks like a mini 1911.
  • Options

<< <i> A Nicholas Sparks novel, paperback of course to limit the weight load

Wouldn't potassium cyanide pills be smaller and lighter and far less painful. >>

• Options
    Hey TN..... this is nice.. and a lot of good stuff on this site...

Text

They also have a 'stash pack' that is interesting.

Cheers, RickO