Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did the Philly Mint guard steal Sackie MELs too??

dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
Amidst the detritus of my presumably soon-to-be-confiscated MEL Prez Dollar collection, I've acquired a Sacagawea MEL or two as well.

Does anybody know if that POS stole those, too?

And on a lighter note: any news about who the California dealer connection is yet?

Comments

• Options
    You don't have to worry about confiscation, they already know the guy who the loser sold them to and they will probably try to go after the big fish who fueled this guy's crack hit, but as for the 1 or 2's ou there in small collectors' hands the govt gots much bigger fish to fry. Yes, the sacs were very likely part of this stolen batch. The reason for initial edge errors for the Washington and Adams was the Mint not being fully ready when the program started. They were shipping the coins from one side of the Mint to the other and about half way through the adams they finally had everything fully integrated and that is when they made a statement that everything was inline now and the errors were attributed to a non fully integrated production process.

We should know shortly who the California dealer's name is.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He didn't steal the ones I have, because I got them directly from my Mint Sets, and I have good documentation to prove it.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.. some legitimate escapes out there.. so should be real interesting if any type of reclamation process is implemented. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Amidst the detritus of my presumably soon-to-be-confiscated MEL Prez Dollar collection, I've acquired a Sacagawea MEL or two as well. >>

I thought all Sacs were MEL's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original Sackies had a plain edge. The Native American coins have LE's.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The original Sackies had a plain edge. The Native American coins have LE's. >>

Are the Native American series also called Sackies?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The original Sackies had a plain edge. The Native American coins have LE's. >>

Are the Native American series also called Sackies? >>

Technically, they are Sacagawea's due to the obverse design but are referred to by the US Mint and Congress as Native American's due to the ever evolving reverse design.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    According to the pop reports, the only MEL Sac/NA dollar, is the '09, and there are only 55 total graded. The lowest total pop of MEL Prez $'s is the Madison with 133, and those are not cheap by any means. Could the MEL Sac/NA dollar be a real sleeper (as well as a bargain currently) ready to bust out??? I do own one of the 55 graded. I picked it up for what I think was very short $$, based on that I feel it IS a real sleeper with alot of potential.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options

<< <i>You don't have to worry about confiscation, they already know the guy who the loser sold them to and they will probably try to go after the big fish who fueled this guy's crack hit, but as for the 1 or 2's ou there in small collectors' hands the govt gots much bigger fish to fry. Yes, the sacs were very likely part of this stolen batch. The reason for initial edge errors for the Washington and Adams was the Mint not being fully ready when the program started. They were shipping the coins from one side of the Mint to the other and about half way through the adams they finally had everything fully integrated and that is when they made a statement that everything was inline now and the errors were attributed to a non fully integrated production process.

We should know shortly who the California dealer's name is. >>

........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Just because there isn't news every day don't think for a moment this event won't have many twists and turns.

The investigating officers may be slow but I feel sure they will be through.

In the end they will have the CA dealers complete sales records and all emails, checks and receits to other dealers.

Anyone who bought more than a few of these coins from him should be expecting a visit from the police asking a complete set of questions.

These officers are civil servants and the time and effort spent tracking down these coins will just be part of their job.

I expect they will pursue them at least are far as where any volume sales went and in turn what the buyer did with the coins.

Remember..........this was appox. 20,000-40,000 coins and $2-2.5 million to the thief.

By the time the CA dealer sold them they would almost certainly have been marked up 25-100%.

Someone is likely sitting with the majority of these coin waiting for the knock on the door.

It seems only a relatively small number had starting showing up on the retail market when the news broke.

I hope the un-named CA dealer still holds the vast majority of the coins otherwise some innocent dealers might get left holding the bag.

Someone is going to be out $2 million plus when this is over...........
  • Options
    According to the pop reports, the only MEL Sac/NA dollar, is the '09, and there are only 55 total graded.

There are 122 of the circulation finish MEL 2010's graded.

The last time I checked, these were the only 2 PCGS-graded Satin 2010's.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>According to the pop reports, the only MEL Sac/NA dollar, is the '09, and there are only 55 total graded.

There are 122 of the circulation finish MEL 2010's graded.

The last time I checked, these were the only 2 PCGS-graded Satin 2010's.

image >>

Yes, you are correct....I see the 2 graded for those 'SP' 2010's, as I didn't go through the PR's, then to SP. But, the report shows nothing in the way of MEL for business strike Sac/NA's except for the 2009 (not disputing your #'s, just that the pop reports show no other year business strike MEL, other than the '09....though, I like it, in that 122 is still more than twice the pop (55) of the '09).

Nice score on the only 2 SP finish MEL's, jmski! Well done! I may have to check my sets now. Where did you find the pops on the 2010 business strikes, if I may inquire??
  • Options

<< <i>You don't have to worry about confiscation, they already know the guy who the loser sold them to and they will probably try to go after the big fish who fueled this guy's crack hit, but as for the 1 or 2's ou there in small collectors' hands the govt gots much bigger fish to fry. Yes, the sacs were very likely part of this stolen batch. The reason for initial edge errors for the Washington and Adams was the Mint not being fully ready when the program started. They were shipping the coins from one side of the Mint to the other and about half way through the adams they finally had everything fully integrated and that is when they made a statement that everything was inline now and the errors were attributed to a non fully integrated production process.

We should know shortly who the California dealer's name is. >>

If they (the Prez and the Sacs) left the mint the same way (the crook at the mint), why are there sooooo fewer Sac's/NA MEL's? The % of NA MEL's to Prez MEL's is miniscule. Total of 177 NA MEL's combined for '09 and '10 (not including jmski's 2 SP NA MEL's), where there are almost 20,000 GW Prez $'s graded alone???? If they left via the same person, one would think there would be waaaaay more NA MEL's....no?
  • Options
    Where did you find the pops on the 2010 business strikes, if I may inquire??

I had someone pm me the number for the 2010 business strikes, which you can search in the pop report.........419645. I've never figured out how to find out about PCGS's numbering system for MELs or anything else that I want to research.

You'd think that they would publish a way to use their own system, at least for their members.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Anyone have pop numbers from across the street on 2009-2010 Pres and Sacs with MEL??
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone have pop numbers from across the street on 2009-2010 Pres and Sacs with MEL?? >>

NGC for the Sackies:

2009: 64/3 65/51 66/247 67/480 68/125 69/3

2010: 66/1

Looks like our guard buddy snuck out a boatload of the 2009s!

NGC for the Prezes:

Harrison: 63/1 64/27 65/144 66/486 67/246 68/22
    Harrison SMS: 67/2 68/3 69/1

Tyler: 66/1 67/1
    Tyler SMS: 65/2 67/4

Polk: 64/5 65/14 66/2

Taylor: 63/3 64/22 65/200 66/518 67/149 68/1

Fillmore: 63/4 64/45 65/142 66/365 67/270 68/25 69/3

Pierce: 67/1

Buchanan: 65/1 66/4 67/2

It becomes pretty clear which issues he stole and which he didn't!
  • Options
    Want to bet those submissions were from just a few dealers??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file