Home Metal Detecting
Options

Wheat cents, Memorial cents, Shield cents

Wheat cents were discontinued in 1958. 10 years later you could count on a couple per roll. 50 years later you may have to go thru several rolls to find one.

How long before the shield cents take over and memorial cents become the "Find".

I'm keeping track of my finds. It should be interesting to see the numbers shift. I have a feeling that it will be much longer due to high mintage numbers for the Memorial cents.

Comments

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Wheaties .......25.........1.7%
    Memorials....1606......97.6%
    Shields............12 .......0.7%
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still get Wheaties in change, got one last week. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wheat cents were discontinued in 1958. 10 years later you could count on a couple per roll. 50 years later you may have to go thru several rolls to find one.

How long before the shield cents take over and memorial cents become the "Find".

I'm keeping track of my finds. It should be interesting to see the numbers shift. I have a feeling that it will be much longer due to high mintage numbers for the Memorial cents. >>

To this day I don't understand how so many wheaties went to fast!? Did people think they'd be worth something? We still have the Eagle back quarter and plenty of copper memorials.. I think going from copper to zinc is a bigger change than a design change.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    It may be a while before Shield cents take over because 95% of the population doesn't even know they exist yet!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got a 52 d wheat in change monday. still cool to get them image
  • Options
    I roll search at least 3 to 4 bricks of cent's each month , i also keep detailed tallies of what i'm finding.I concur with the OP's findings in regard wheaties and agree the copper memorials will be / are the find these days.Ive always likened it to silver departing circulation post 64.
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    I work in a retail environment and put out three cash drawers every day. In a normal week I find at least one wheat penny on three or four out of five days. It's not uncommon to find 3-5 a day and I found 7 one time. In the last three weeks I've found around 25 wheats including a half dozen from the '20's, 1919-s and 1910. I also found a 1905 Indian. Going back around six months I've found over 100 wheats, one Indian, a dateless buffalo, a silver war nickel and 6-8 silver dimes including one mercury. It's a good thing for me the the evening book keeper doesn't know anything about coins!