Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade this pair of CC gold coins--with a twist

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let's make it interesting. Which coin is the higher grade and by how many grading steps?

(sorry that the sizes are different--the first image is not my own)

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1882-CC looks at least 53 on a bad day and the 84-CC looks to be a 45 on a bad day

If I were grading them- it would be 55-50

I would be happy if these were graded 55-50 but I tend to have my doubts

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    50 & 40 respectively

Edited to add that I am trying to guess the PCGS grades not what I grade them. I toyed with 20$ for a min before realizing I was toying with myself and they were out of my price range (back at 1250 for type) and the luster is a huge driving factor for these and one of the reason they are so rare with age on them.

I grade them AU53 and 45 and then added the PCGS chop to come up with my guess although what do I know
    I don't see the 84-cc as only a 40- but anything is possible

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1882 is a 61

1884 is a 53

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to grade from those pics but I'll guess AU53 and AU55. There is no way that either is XF40.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Knowing what gen holders and who graded these may change that.
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

'82=60

'84=58

'
    Every man is a self made man.
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    1882 CC--AU53
    1884 CC--AU55
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    58, 45
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade the '82 AU58.
    I would grade the '84 AU50.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1882 AU53 by current standards due to a few too many marks to merit a 55 even though it is well struck - AU50 by my standards.

1884 AU53 by current standards due to fewer marks - XF45 by my standards due to visible wear.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I think some people are forgetting the total coin idea when grading. While I agree the 84 doesn't have tremendous wear only one of a handful of things that should be considered
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess 61 for the 82 and 58 for the 84. Love 'em both!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    58 and 55.

I would not be surprised if they were the same grade.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Does no one see that first pic was taken with a flash so it looks cleaner because of the illumination? The 2nd is the better and gold coins are very subjective because of the softer metal. My guess is the first would be a 58 and the 2nd a 62
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KD, good observation regarding the photography, and I appreciate crypto's comment regarding grading being more than just the details.

The first coin was recently sold through Doug Winter's inventory (not my coin) as an NGC/CAC AU-58.

The second coin is one of my favorites in my collection and is a PCGS(OGH)/CAC GOLD XF-45.

While there is likely more luster in the first coin (based on the photo, I have not seen it in hand), it is hard to believe that there are four grading steps between the two.

The second coin will be in my ANA dirty gold display later in the week.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... I would have graded the '84 58, and the '82 55... Cheers, RickO
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU-55 & AU-58

I do not see the difference between 58 and 45 on these two

I am not not saying the 82-cc is not worthy of 58 but if it is a 58 then the 84-cc is no 45

clear enough?image

• BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the 1882-CC $20 AU58 on Doug Winter’s site several weeks ago. It was also sold by Heritage during the Summer FUN auction (prior to receiving the CAC sticker). The dark spot below the 8 and 2 in the date makes it an easy coin to follow.

Based on the images, it is hard to believe there is a 13 point difference between the 2 coins. If resubmitted, I could see the ’84-CC in a 55 holder, though in its current PCGS OGH with a CAC Gold sticker I doubt resubmission will be considered.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While there is likely more luster in the first coin (based on the photo, I have not seen it in hand), it is hard to believe that there are four grading steps between the two.

There clearly isn't more than 3-5 grading points difference between the 2 coins imo. They were graded in different eras by different people. The coins are very similar imo.
    If the ogh is regraded it will no doubt come out in the AU range. Each coin is stretched to the far end of it's grading band (high on one and low on the other). It happens. That's
    part of the beauty/beast of our grading system.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1882CC is an MS61, the 1884CC is an MS63+++ CAC woohoo

• << <i>While there is likely more luster in the first coin (based on the photo, I have not seen it in hand), it is hard to believe that there are four grading steps between the two.

There clearly isn't more than 3-5 grading points difference between the 2 coins imo. They were graded in different eras by different people. The coins are very similar imo.
    If the ogh is regraded it will no doubt come out in the AU range. Each coin is stretched to the far end of it's grading band (high on one and low on the other). It happens. That's
    part of the beauty/beast of our grading system.

roadrunner >>

Pretty good answer IMO
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought 58 and 53
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to say 58 on the 1882-CC and 53 on the 1884-CC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file