Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~ Tokens 4 Tuesday... Post some Exonumia ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
1837 Illustrious Predecessor HT-32 / Low-18

A really tough Illustrious Predecessor variety to locate well struck on the high points and with any trace luster as they where struck with rusted dies.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New purchase from the YN auction at the ANA Summer Seminar!

This medal depicts both the interior and exterior of the Church of St. Genevieve (Pantheon) in striking detail. The building depicted was first built as a Cathedral to honor St. Genevieve, a Saint who in 451 supposedly led a “prayer marathon” that saved the city of Paris from Atilla and the Huns. The Cathedral was secularized during the French Revolution, changing its name to the Pantheon. It then served as a burial site for distinguished French citizens such as Voltaire, Jean-Paul Marat and Jean0Jacques Rousseau. This large medal itself features incredible attention to detail and utilizes 3-D perspective on the reverse, making the eye feel it is actually looking deep within the Cathedral while looking at the medal.

In 1872, 14 years after completing this medal, Jacques Wiener lost his eyesight due to the strain of making these incredibly detailed pieces. After losing his sight, he was forced to give up his art. However, his legacy lives on through the skills he taught to his brothers, Karl and Leopold Wiener.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options

<< <i>In 1872, 14 years after completing this medal, Jacques Wiener lost his eyesight due to the strain of making these incredibly detailed pieces. After losing his sight, he was forced to give up his art. However, his legacy lives on through the skills he taught to his brothers, Karl and Leopold Wiener. >>

Thanx TPL for the added info! image
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    I went looking for a CWT for this post, but couldn't get beyond this Conder!
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I love that Weed token! Hilarious stuff and where can I get one?
    GMan
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still like the St. Genevieve Pennylady. Some day I'll run into one image best wishes
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    V. Blatz Lager Beer Fuld 510E-1a

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love that Weed token! Hilarious stuff and where can I get one? >>

Check out Coin Rarities Online (CRO)
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an 1876 Centennial celebration offical medal in silver with the original box. This is listed as a So-Called Dollar, and it's not rare; but a like of pieces that I see have been cleaned to death. They are that ugly, pastey white with lots of hairlines. I held out for an original one.

These pieces were struck at the Centennial Worlds' Fair that was held in Philadelphia on a U.S. press. Sometimes they let the dies get too worn and some of these pieces have a blob where Ms. Liberty's face should be.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Horticulture Society of New York’s George D. Pratt Medal of Achievement for Professional Gardeners

Issued to James Clark who was the Head Gardener at Princeton University from 1928-1962.

He was responsible for bringing commissioned Landscape Architect Beatrix Farrand's plans to life.

• Options
    A newp from the Stacks-Bowers Coin Gallery Sale.

Miller NY-184. Johannes Allan/The Antiquary. The Allan/Antiquary mules always come weakly struck (at least the one's I have seen over the years all are).

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A newp from the Stacks-Bowers Coin Gallery Sale.

Miller NY-184. Johannes Allan/The Antiquary. The Allan/Antiquary mules always come weakly struck (at least the one's I have seen over the years all are).

image >>

I really liked this one but the weak strike kept me away from itimage
    I wonder why these come struck so weak?
    Is it because there are silhouettes on both sides?
    The other one I have does not have a weak strike.

• Options
    Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.
  • Options

<< <i>I really liked this one but the weak strike kept me away from itimage
    The other one I have does not have a weak strike. >>

These come weakly struck at the centers because of the high relief definition of Johannes Allan profile.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

These come weakly struck at the centers because of the high relief definition of Johannes Allan profile. >>

Is it a combination of the relief and insufficient striking force? Would no amount of striking force fill that die combination or is it that enough wasn't used?
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently arrived, from Mr. Broadstruck:

• Options

<< <i>Recently arrived, from Mr. Broadstruck:

image >>

Wowzers image that's a spectacular image kaz of the Ruggles! image

Please post the others! imageimage
  • Options
    Broadstruck, that Horticulture medal is beautiful... and sort of spooky.

Chaze, I'm looking for a HTT like yours... very nice surfaces. I prefer them with a little wear.
  • Options
    Here are the other 2 new arrivals from Broadstruck, purchased off the BST: a Peck & Burnham and a Webster/Van Buren, both AU

I dusted off my cheapo axial light setup, as these are both deep rich brown (I think my focus slipped a little on the first one, I may have to redo it. The details are extremely sharp, and I like how the dentils look like gear teeth (to me anyway) which seems appropriate.

• Options

<< <i>Broadstruck, that Horticulture medal is beautiful... and sort of spooky.

Chaze, I'm looking for a HTT like yours... very nice surfaces. I prefer them with a little wear. >>

Thanks kaz image

chaze215's Phalon's is one of the best looking circulated examples I've seen.

These have been heavily abused and it's tough just to find one that hasn't been holed.

All of the NY Bowery tokens are tough, but the Phalon's although not high on the rarity scale is one of the toughest.

Here's mine which came out of a collection that was formed over 25 years and I pounced on asap.

1837 Phalon's Hair Cutting New York, NY HT-304 / Low-127

Edward Phalon probably began his business as a hair dresser at 161 Chatham Stree in 1834. From then until 1860 he changed location at least 11 times, one address being the 35 Bowery address on the token. In 1842 he was opposite St. Paul's at 214 Broadway, where he sold the "Amazon Toupee" for which (along with his "Wigs and Scalps") the American Institute awarded him a silver medal in 1841, and their first premium in 1842. In 1848 he was at 61 Broadway, where his extensive advertisements touted "Chemical Hair Invigorator." At the height of his prosperity he occupied an elegant shop in the St. Nicholas Hotel, where his prices for services and cosmetics matched the brilliance of the numerous mirrors, gilded frames, marble basins, and silver-plated fixtures which adorned the salon. He he remained until the hotel closed. His "Night Blooming Cereus" was the best known, and last, of his successes before he retired. Low interviewed him in 1886 but Phalon could provide little information about his store card. An 1849 advertisement for Edward Phalon's "Chemical Hair Invigorator" indicated that Phalon opened his 197 Broadway "bathing and hair cutting rooms" in May, 1843.
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    Amazing tokens everyone. Just splendid stuff.

CRO sure has some amazing stuff. Some of it is actually in my price range too which is shocking lol
    GMan
  • Options
    All very nice pieces everyone!!

Here is another that is coming in the mail from Stacks. I do know know how rare/common this piece is, or much else about it for that matter, but something about it I really liked. It is a bit later (1890s) than I usually collect, but I know silver pieces in that era are quite scarce (any silver token from the 1800s is very rare) and the color and surfaces were fantastic.

Rulau Nyk-154/5 Vogel Brothers Clothiers. Struck in Silver. Engraved H.W. Hunter on Obverse (unlisted as such).

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

These come weakly struck at the centers because of the high relief definition of Johannes Allan profile. >>

Is it a combination of the relief and insufficient striking force? Would no amount of striking force fill that die combination or is it that enough wasn't used? >>

I think it has to do with insufficient strike force more than the high relief as the reverse figure studying the coin (The Antiquary) also comes very weak on this issue, unlike on the other Antiquary pieces. I do think the dies were cut to deep on the Allan Portrait obverse contributing to the weak strike, but I know they were not cut to deep on the Antiquary side.
  • Options

<< <i>All very nice pieces everyone!!

Here is another that is coming in the mail from Stacks. I do know know how rare/common this piece is, or much else about it for that matter, but something about it I really liked. It is a bit later (1890s) than I usually collect, but I know silver pieces in that era are quite scarce (any silver token from the 1800s is very rare) and the color and surfaces were fantastic.

Rulau Nyk-154/5 Vogel Brothers Clothiers. Struck in Silver. Engraved H.W. Hunter on Obverse (unlisted as such).

image >>

Very nice! I was bidding on that one as well. Looks like we were all bidding against each other on a few pieces...lol
    Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice! I was bidding on that one as well. Looks like we were all bidding against each other on a few pieces...lol >>

Looks like we all have great taste!!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Broadstruck, that Horticulture medal is beautiful... and sort of spooky.

Chaze, I'm looking for a HTT like yours... very nice surfaces. I prefer them with a little wear. >>

Thanks kaz image

chaze215's Phalon's is one of the best looking circulated examples I've seen.

These have been heavily abused and it's tough just to find one that hasn't been holed.

All of the NY Bowery tokens are tough, but the Phalon's although not high on the rarity scale is one of the toughest.

Here's mine which came out of a collection that was formed over 25 years and I pounced on asap.

1837 Phalon's Hair Cutting New York, NY HT-304 / Low-127

Edward Phalon probably began his business as a hair dresser at 161 Chatham Stree in 1834. From then until 1860 he changed location at least 11 times, one address being the 35 Bowery address on the token. In 1842 he was opposite St. Paul's at 214 Broadway, where he sold the "Amazon Toupee" for which (along with his "Wigs and Scalps") the American Institute awarded him a silver medal in 1841, and their first premium in 1842. In 1848 he was at 61 Broadway, where his extensive advertisements touted "Chemical Hair Invigorator." At the height of his prosperity he occupied an elegant shop in the St. Nicholas Hotel, where his prices for services and cosmetics matched the brilliance of the numerous mirrors, gilded frames, marble basins, and silver-plated fixtures which adorned the salon. He he remained until the hotel closed. His "Night Blooming Cereus" was the best known, and last, of his successes before he retired. Low interviewed him in 1886 but Phalon could provide little information about his store card. An 1849 advertisement for Edward Phalon's "Chemical Hair Invigorator" indicated that Phalon opened his 197 Broadway "bathing and hair cutting rooms" in May, 1843. >>

That's a beautiful example, and the historical info is great. I'd really like to see an image of the Amazon toupee or the "Night Blooming Cereus (which is a type of cactus with a huge bloom, and how that translates into a hairdo is beyond me)!

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    My most recent newp from BStruck. This makes three of the same in different compositions.

• Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Charles E Barber original wax sculpture on slate circa 1910 of his grandson. The Smithsonian has a copy made from my original.

My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    For comparison of other tokens posted here image

• Options
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    1837 New York - Geo Jarvis Wine Dealer HT-284 / Low 123 - Ex. John Ford

LotsoLuck thanks again for letting me have this one back! image
  • Options

<< <i>Charles E Barber original wax sculpture on slate circa 1910 of his grandson. The Smithsonian has a copy made from my original.

image >>

I remember seeing that for sale. An amazing piece, from the hand of Barber himself.
  • Options

<< <i>My most recent newp from BStruck. This makes three of the same in different compositions.

image >>

Beautiful! Sail and Steam.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file