Home U.S. Coin Forum

From the sublime to the ridiculous.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some coins are simply sublime while the prices they are offered for sale at can be simply ridiculous. I think this one fits the bill; a nice example of a tough date but at a price better left for others to debate. Best of luck to the seller but my hunch is that it'll be a while before someone pulls the trigger in a set price auction such as this, while at the same time a well placed Heritage consignment would tell the truth about the coin in a more forthright manner.

Al H.

Comments

• Uh yeah thats unreal. Everytime you think you have seen everything you see something else. image
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I glad I wasn't born in '53. I'm having enough problems trying to find a '48-P FS 5¢ I can afford.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I could be mistaken but, isn't this seller a forum member here? Not that there's anything wrong with that. No not at all.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I could be mistaken but, isn't this seller a forum member here? Not that there's anything wrong with that. No not at all. >>

Yep, he's a member. I think he's indicated that he has been offered in excess of $11,000 for this coin already! image

Best of luck to him!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    11000 is a far shot from 35K.

If I brought him another, what would he pay for it? That is the real question...
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Here is leo's page on his site about it:

1953-S Auction

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, he DOES have the "Make an Offer" option.

He may even spring for free shipping. image
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    PCGS Price Guide is $22,500, so he's 156% of price guide.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    no return priv ?

must not be that nice
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    It takes a certain species of collector to pay that kind of $ for a Jeff.

Hominus insanus
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    So, how much does a plain ol' 1953-S 5¢ MS65 go for that has a reasonably good strike?

$25K?
    $15K?
    $10K?
    $5?

How rare are GEM UNC 1953-S nickels exactly?
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Al, how much do I owe you for the promo?

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

<< <i>Uh yeah thats unreal. Everytime you think you have seen everything you see something else. image >>

Well, if I list it with a reserve, it's $50+. With a Buy it now and Best offer, it's only $1.60.

Leo

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's Leo's to do with as he wants.
    No one asked, and Leo didn't answer, if he expects $35,000 or if he really cares to sell it at the moment (or, for that matter, what he really believes the value is on the coin).

Some folks list because they want to.....to show off....to generate a buzz and maybe sell for less off ebay. Things that don't appear to have been thought of or taken into consideration.

Also, it's always funny when people get on someone's price and say "well, put it on ebay/heritage/teletrade for no reserve and what it sells for is the market". Ummmm, no. It is a great indicator of what the market is for that piece, at that time, with THOSE eyes that see it. Doesn't account for others that may not have seen it, but want it. Putting it up for that "too high" of a price, could easily be like advertising, cheaply, for awhile, getting a lot of eyes on it, then perhaps selling (again, off ebay maybe) for less, but still more than a limited time auction to sell immediately, would have done.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>It takes a certain species of collector to pay that kind of $ for a Jeff.

Hominus insanus >>

The coin has been for sale on my website for the last 3 years but no-one knows how to click on the link below and pay a visit. Of course, this tells me how most everyone gives a rats arse about someone elses efforts to make the hobby a little more adventurous but that's ok, I continue to pay my $21 dues to keep it going and life goes on. image

Leo

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It takes a certain species of collector to pay that kind of $ for a Jeff.

Hominus insanus >>

Just like it takes a certain species of collector to pay 5 million for a 1913 Liberty?

At first I was gonna chid the thread with ye old "Modern Crap" shout.

But I got to thinking, modern crap or condition rarity?

Then I got to thinking, Hmmmm 53-S Jefferson with only two in the grade? Yeah, condition rarity! All he needs is 1 mre to show up, shatter the pops

Then I got to thinking, Hmmm, condition rarity is different from what? A 1 or 2 known coin where one could show up in somebodies safety deposit box? (1933 St Gaudens)

Leo collects these, knows a lot about them and has some quite nice coins and I, for one, am not in a position to be so matter of fact at how silly his listing might appear to me. After all, I don't the other one in the same grade and it does have a 22K Price Guide Value.

Good Luck Leo
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • I know all is good, but doesn't the font on the insert look funny?
  • ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Proof positive of the ludicrousness of the registry game.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And ya never know what the listing is going to shake out. Like Leo mentioned he has had it on his site for a while, now since it is on eBay some interest might be generated and it is always surprising the collectors out there who are nameless and their holdings. I am sure many of the dealers here can attest to collectors who walked in the door with awesome collections that they had never heard of before.

K
    ANA LM

<< <i>Proof positive of the ludicrousness of the registry game. >>

I completely disagree and until someone has spent time and money looking for a coin in this grade, they really should not draw any comparison's as no basis exists for a judgement call.

If the populations were 15 or 20 with 1 or 2 higher, it might be a different story, but then, it's not.

How many does the OP have?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow. >>

How many nice colonials can I buy for $35,000?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>11000 is a far shot from 35K. If I brought him another, what would he pay for it? That is the real question... >>

Selling this coin for $35K would be pinnacle of the seller's career as well. For $35K I'd want every window and door
    on the Monticello to be sharp as well.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's got a gold sticker over a green one? You never quite know what someone would pay. I know a freind who just sold a proof and business strike Washington quarter registry sets above the trend price! Wonder if I could do this with my SL's? And the proof set was missing the 36'.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is an amazing 1953-S nickel, I sure don't have one that nice, don't know where to find one that nice, but can imagine how hard a search it would be, if I started trying

(although I do have a pretty nice one, I think the one in my Jeffy album is EF45 or so)

oh, wait... [checks pocket change] yes, here's another in VF image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    What's full retail on a 1953-S Jeff MS65?
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

If it is the best out there, and i'm sure if Leo says it is.....it is.....then who is to say what the selling price should be...it's simple, he has it, you want it...you work it out between the two of you how much it will cost you.........JMO

<< <i>I glad I wasn't born in '53. I'm having enough problems trying to find a '48-P FS 5¢ I can afford.

Ron >>

Good luck in finding a FS desig. example of a 1948-P from the most extreme end of the series. This one came through a
    trade and I think it's value is less than $100. But in my opinion, all certified FS examples must look like this one or better.
    But that hasn't been the case. While there are a few FS examples that resemble the qualities of my coin, I'm very happy
    to own this coin.

Leo

<< <i>Well, he DOES have the "Make an Offer" option.

He may even spring for free shipping. image >>

I would like to sell the coin within the range of the offers I have received. I think that's the only way to be fair with everyone. With the ebay auction, it's a venue to get the coin out there and there are other collectors outside of the registry scene that want this coin.
    The BIN will eventually move with the offers.

Leo

Absolutely no different than any other specialized coin and why folks are raising their eyebrows and questioning the price seems a bit silly as does the comparison of how many colonials one could by with the price instead of the nickel. The entire point being, there are none finer and highly unlikely that one will show up in the near or long term future.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Absolutely no different than any other specialized coin and why folks are raising their eyebrows and questioning the price seems a bit silly as does the comparison of how many colonials one could by with the price instead of the nickel. The entire point being, there are none finer and highly unlikely that one will show up in the near or long term future. >>

I find it interesting how there are 8-9 of the 22 1953-S MS65FL Franklin halves in the top 20 sets and each is valued at 25,000 and there's not a single MS65FS Jefferson listed in any registry set and it's valued at 22500. Obviously the Franklin is in more demand than a Jefferson.

Leo

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously the Franklin is in more demand than a Jefferson.

well, i really didn't think this thread would hold any air, i guess i was wrong again.

someone has finally hit upon the most truthful thing about coins and the prices we pay for them-----it appears that it is all about demand and scarcity/rarity really don't count for a whole lot. that includes absolute rarity as well as grade rarity, with the latter suffering the most by a longshot. forget about "all it takes is two interested parties" and the like because those kind of situations aren't what drives prices and keeps the coin market alive. two interested parties for the OP coin wouldn't be an accurate indicator of value, i think we all know that, it would only be an indicator of how stubbornly someone is willing to chase after something(my term for that is more dollars than cents). we could each probably cite examples of coins which fetched a high price and than couldn't be sold at break even, so i digress.

to the 1953-S eBay coin, i will admit that the coin is nice but it is also apparently what it is, an MS65FS and nothing more since it was independantly graded raw by two different companies some 15 years apart to the same conclusion. hence, my choice of the word sublime. my original comments about the "truth" regarding the price are perhaps only held by me, but i feel offering an item such as this and holding such a high opinion of same while offering no return on the purchase is a little disingenuous to say the least. offering it at a premiere site such as Heritage with a reserve would protect the seller while offering at least the really interested bidders a chance to examine the coin in-hand(or have their representative(s) do the same). past that i will withhold comment on the coins appearance since online pictures can be deceptive.

as to the true price; i have for a number of years used the the PCGS price guide regarding Jefferson Nickels by factoring the given price X .6 or 60% of what is listed. given the listed price of $22,500 times .6 yields the sum of $13,500. i don't know where the $11,000 price quoted on page one came from, but if it is an actual offer it's strangely close to my PCGS price guide adjustment. as i said in the OP, i wish the seller the best of luck.

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, your absolutely right Leo. The comparison to a 1953-S Franklin MS65FBL is a valid comparison.

I retract my insanus comment above.

I think your asking price is reasonable.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I glad I wasn't born in '53. I'm having enough problems trying to find a '48-P FS 5¢ I can afford.

Ron >>

Good luck in finding a FS desig. example of a 1948-P from the most extreme end of the series. This one came through a
    trade and I think it's value is less than $100. But in my opinion, all certified FS examples must look like this one or better.
    But that hasn't been the case. While there are a few FS examples that resemble the qualities of my coin, I'm very happy
    to own this coin.

Leo >>

Do you have a compairative image for your 53S?
    Do you have a comparative image for your 53S?

You can see pictures of the 1953-S at the following link.

Did I answer your question?

Leo

• FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    The $35K coin has an amazingly smooth cheek and jawbone. Most of these show roughness of the planchet because of incomplete strike. Not an unreasonable asking price.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, your absolutely right Leo. The comparison to a 1953-S Franklin MS65FBL is a valid comparison.

I think your asking price is reasonable. >>

I think it is also amazing that two "strike rarities" (whether or not you think the going prices are reasonable) came from the same mint in the same year, yet in different materials. Makes me wonder what was going on in SF that year...
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is also amazing that two "strike rarities" (whether or not you think the going prices are reasonable) came from the same mint in the same year

i suspect it's as simple as the fact that the issues weren't saved in large quantities coupled with the fact that quality was poor. we tend to forget that coins are struck and issued for commerce, so i suspect that a generous number of each noted issue was struck in high quality, just not saved. it isn't the first time that normal attrition has been responsible for creating scarcity. the same thing has been the topic of discussion relating to post-1964 issues and when/where/what will turn out to be the winners in the future.
  • Perhaps he's doing the equivalent of the restaurant that charges $100 for one particular hamburger that no one orders--but the curiosity brings people in to order other more reasonably priced items on the menu. (I tried Googling "hundred dollar hamburger" to find the shop, but I keep getting municipal airports. It seems "hundred dollar hamburger" is also a term used by enthusiast pilots for any excuse to make a plane trip for the sake of flying.)
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file