Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone think this coin is anything special??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looks nice, what do you think??

Al H.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, even if it is only $22 valued by the PCGS Price Guide. image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin, even if it is only $22 valued by the PCGS Price Guide. image >>

lol dem is fighting words LOL image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking on my phone so can't see real well...is there something going on with "five cents" on the reverse?
  • Options
    no, just a couple what look like carbon spots, though i do think the reverse is sort of special!!image
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    R38?

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDR? Steps and just above them look doubled.
    Is that so?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'V' in five is a bit small!!! image
  • Options
    Reverse of 38
  • Options
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I'm going with R 38. The stairs look wavy.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    It would be a find of gigantic proportions if it is a 40 rev. of 38 business strike. I think Breen spoke of one, but I'm not sure if it was confirmed.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would be a find of gigantic proportions if it is a 40 rev. of 38 business strike. I think Breen spoke of one, but I'm not sure if it was confirmed. >>

That's why I'm thinking it might be a proof, which would be a gigantic cherrypick.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    i can say with reasonable certainty that it ain't no Proof.image
  • Options

<< <i>i can say with reasonable certainty that it ain't no Proof.image >>

But can you say with reasonable certainty that it's a Reverse of 1938? image
  • Options
    well, pictures don't lie.
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    I noticed this the second I saw it. All I have to say is whoa....
  • Options
    If this is yours congrats man. Just wow.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks nice, what do you think??

Al H.

imageimage >>

Very nice are you going to send it in to have it put on the holder?

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    So, what is he worth? Speak so those Jefferson virgins out there can understand you. image

• Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    My only comment is that it is already in PCGS plastic, and fairly new plastic at that. Are you suggesting that PCGS missed this?
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options

<< <i>My only comment is that it is already in PCGS plastic, and fairly new plastic at that. Are you suggesting that PCGS missed this? >>

Would they even be looking for it, though?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My only comment is that it is already in PCGS plastic, and fairly new plastic at that. Are you suggesting that PCGS missed this? >>

Would they even be looking for it, though? >>

I doubt the graders would have looked for this variation... how long do they have per coin to GRADE? 3-4 seconds?
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I like it! I would definitely give 5c for it. image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    A BS 1940 rev 38 is RARE, so I guess they could miss it.

I hope it is real, I hope it is Keets coin, and I hope he got it for $22. Suckalicious if all true.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the reverse is not that of a 1938-P or 1939-P Reverse of 1938 working die, one has to question where the Reverse of 1938 working die came from that would have needed to be paired with the Obverse of 1940, that would have stuck how many coins? and we're looking at the first 71 years later???

This also could fall under the problems associated with distinguishing the business strikes from the SMS coins of 1965 to 1967 and the circulating coins of 2005 to 2010 from the SF satin finish mint set coins. This coin would have came from the proof dies because, where are the rest? There would have been multiples strikes from the pairing of those proof dies which raises that familiar question, did they extend the use of the proof dies to help produce the business strikes for 1938, 1939 and perhaps for 1940 as well? but not for just one coin. Which doesn't make any sense, since they needed several working die sets for the business strikes.

Another problem that arises, how did it survive in such pristine condition without some help? Which raises another question of it's illegitimacy if it indeed found legs and walked out of the mint. But that suggestion also raises another question but I'll leave it at that.

I would have to say it's a labeling error.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I am in no way connected to this thread image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Just looking at the steps, why are they so perfectly struck, on the one side anyway, especially under the 3rd pillar? Proofs were struck twice, correct? And they look more R40 than R38.

Leo

• Options
    This reminds me of a coin I found years ago that I thought had some major significant meaning. At that time every so often I would take a few coins to Mike Fahey when he was with ANACS. I remember how shocked I was when he graded my coin a Proof 58. The 1958 coin did start looking like a circulated proof after that instead of the 6 full stepper I thought I had.

I was a lot younger and optimistic in those days. imageimage

Leo

• Options
    small v?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file