Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whats Wrong With My Gold $?

bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today I was just enjoying a morning looking at my coins when I noticed my gold dollar has gotten this weird discoloration on the obverse.

Now I live in Los Angeles and it isnt humid. I purchased this coin back in late 09 when I got back into collecting. I do recall some outlines on it but I dont remember it ever being this deep of a orange.

The coin is graded MS61, you can even check the cert. # & the reverse is perfect gold, no discoloring of any kind.

I tried to take the best photos I could. I only have a Iphone camera and indoor lights. Its been cloudy/rainy here.

Is it just the copper in it or what?

Comments

• Options
    Nobody?
  • Options
    What's the coin's date.
  • Options
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Improper rinse after being dipped? That orange toning gives that coin character and it wouldn't bother me if it were my coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Improper rinse after being dipped? That orange toning gives that coin character and it wouldn't bother me if it were my coin. >>

Possible.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Wouldnt it get worse in time though? Just in the barely 2 years I have had it its now come to that.

It was bought already graded. Its in a problem free holder, thats why I left the Cert. # in the photo.

I would think if it was dipped it would be genuine only?
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wouldnt it get worse in time though? Just in the barely 2 years I have had it its now come to that.
    It was bought already graded. Its in a problem free holder, thats why I left the Cert. # in the photo.
    I would think if it was dipped it would be genuine only? >>

If a coin is dipped properly, then it will grade, assuming the coin is problem-free. Dipping a coin does not automatically put it in a gennie holder.

• Options
    So I shouldnt worry about it then?

I admit it does bother me.....
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would bother me too.

color on old gold is OK when its logical, that isnt.
  • Options

<< <i>it would bother me too.

color on old gold is OK when its logical, that isnt. >>

Exactly, thats why I figured I would post it on here.

I moved onto ancients & dont own much gold but the above and a $10 Lib. So I dont have much experience with gold as a whole.

Debating on unloading it or not :/
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that coin should be sent in under the grade guarantee. And I think the problem is worse than dip residue.
  • Options
    Do I have to be a member or just call them?

This is bugging more as the time is going on. PCGS Guide lists this as about $640 in MS61.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to be a member and you don't have to call. Send the coin with the standard submission form, check "other" for grading service and write "spot review". You have to pay postage and insurance both ways but that's it.

If PCGS feels it is a problem they will either correct it (conserve it) and reslab your coin or, if it's not savable at MS61, you will be offered payment under their grade guarantee.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>You don't have to be a member and you don't have to call. Send the coin with the standard submission form, check "other" for grading service and write "spot review". You have to pay postage and insurance both ways but that's it.

If PCGS feels it is a problem they will either correct it (conserve it) and reslab your coin or, if it's not savable at MS61, you will be offered payment under their grade guarantee.
    Lance. >>

Where is the standard submission form itself? It says I have to be a member to print anything out form wise.

https://www.pcgs.com/order_submission_form.chtml
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...PM me and I'll send you one. Or, I suppose it would be easier to call PCGS and have them send you one. You might get other questions answered too.

While you're at it, join!
    Lance.
  • Options
    are there any color patches like that on the reverse?
  • Options
    Hi lance, I emailed them earlier & I don't see the need to join. I mainly collect ancients now and dabble in u.s. Nowadays. But this gold coin is one of the first coins I bought after I got back into collecting after a 15 year hiatus so I don't want to part with it but I also don't want a problem coin.

Ambro, the reverse is flawless, no discoloring at all. It's only the obverse.
  • Options
    the coin is not the Hope diamond and if it is a bother to you, list it on ebay and sell it off.

buy another.
  • Options

<< <i>the coin is not the Hope diamond and if it is a bother to you, list it on ebay and sell it off.

buy another. >>

Lol, mind as well be for me. This and a $10 gold is all I have gold coin wise.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Consider yourself lucky to get half of PCGS price, imo.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Consider yourself lucky to get half of PCGS price, imo. >>

Really? Keep in mind...the price guide is inflated to begin with. I've always received an offer close to Greysheet bid price. I suppose it depends on what coin type your submitting.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Took a look at the pcgs price guide for gold dollars and seems as if all the common date ones are awash in red.

could this have something to do with the appearance of a red stain on yours? doubtful.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << the coin is not the Hope diamond and if it is a bother to you, list it on ebay and sell it off.

buy another. >>

Selling it and buying another is good advice. But it would be better to sell it at a coin show after showing it around a bit. That way, you're bound to learn something about both the coin and the market.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file