Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Its time to pick on METS Fans....

In 1970 , Nolan Ryan pitched a 1 hitter with 15k's for the Mets...
the only hit was by the lead-off man....
how could you trade this kind of potential for Jim Fregosi ?

( yes, I'm a Yankees fan )

Rick Probstein
Ebay Store:
Probstein123
phone: 973 747 6304
email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!

Comments

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I would love to talk to the people in charge to ask what they think now (or after they found out he was a superstar). I also read some cool facts about other famous people.

The Beatles were turned away from a record company when they were starting out with the reasoning that guitar bands will never last and it is just a fad.

Walt Disney was told that he couldn't draw and that he lacked creativity early on.

Fred Astaire was told that he couldn't dance early in his career.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still upset about Rocky Colavito to Detroit for Harvey Kuenn. And then there's Tony Perez for Woody Fryman. That's the number one reason the Reds didn't threepeat.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Where's Chaz when you need him?

Good for you.
  • Options
    I'm still upset about Rocky Colavito to Detroit for Harvey Kuenn
    ==> rocco has him on power but kuenn has 2000+ lifetime hits and colavito doesn't...
    at least you could see what the execs here were thinking...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz.
    Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell
    Carl Pavano for Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hey Rick ... because of all the terrible trades the Mets have made (see below for a few more GREAT ones they made) I have been told that METS cards will be worthless pretty soon ... Please PM me for my address here on Long Island so you can unload all those worthless PSA graded Mets on me! LOL. PS Nice to see you on these boards.

Tom Seaver for Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson and Dan Norman.

Nolan Ryan was traded by the Mets, along with Frank Estrada, Don Rose and Leroy Stanton for Jim Fregosi.

Mike Scott was traded to Houston for outfielder Danny Heep.

David Cone to Toronto for Ryan Thompson and Jeff Kent. The Mets then compounded that mistake by trading Kent to Cleveland for Carlos Baerga.

Amos Otis and Bob Johnson to the Kansas City Royals for Joe Foy.

Lenny Dykstra, Roger McDowell and Tom Edens to the Philadelphia Phillies for Juan Samuel.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm still upset about Rocky Colavito to Detroit for Harvey Kuenn. And then there's Tony Perez for Woody Fryman. That's the number one reason the Reds didn't threepeat. >>

I think Reggie Jackson might disagree with you.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until his recent injury problems, Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano looked pretty bad, too, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In 1970 , Nolan Ryan pitched a 1 hitter with 15k's for the Mets...

( yes, I'm a Yankees fan ) >>

I remember at the time it still seemed like a bad trade for the Mets, but in all fairness to the Mets, MLB history is littered with strong arm young pitchers who didn't have good control and washed out after a few years, and Ryan did not have very good control at the time. So I presume that's what the Mets were thinking that there wouldn't be improvement with Ryan in that regard...but still that being said, the Mets should have given Ryan more time considering all the upside potential he had.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In 1970 , Nolan Ryan pitched a 1 hitter with 15k's for the Mets...

( yes, I'm a Yankees fan ) >>

I remember at the time it still seemed like a bad trade for the Mets, but in all fairness to the Mets, MLB history is littered with strong arm young pitchers who didn't have good control and washed out after a few years, and Ryan did not have very good control at the time. So I presume that's what the Mets were thinking that there wouldn't be improvement with Ryan in that regard...but still that being said, the Mets should have given Ryan more time considering all the upside potential he had. >>

The Mets were stocked with young pitching (they had Seaver, Koosman, and Gentry already in the rotation) and were desperate for a 3B. They were so desperate, in fact, that they made TWO bad trades to land one - the Ryan/Fregosi deal and the Otis/Foy one.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I'm a Phillies fan and love the banter with Mets fans, but they are so pathetic this year that I actually feel sorry for the fans and the whole Mets organization.....

On second thought, no I don't!

The only decent thing for guys like grote and winpitcher to do is become a Phillie Phanatic!

Plenty of room to join the bus.

aconte
  • Options
    Hey Mets owners, Madoff droids want their 1 Billion back. They be calling in now. Dumb Arse owners.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Sports Talk Forum
  • Options
    Sports Talk Forum

Don't think Rick is familiar yet with proper board protocol, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    go ahead, i can take it!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>I'm a Phillies fan and love the banter with Mets fans, but they are so pathetic this year that I actually feel sorry for the fans and the whole Mets organization.....

On second thought, no I don't!

The only decent thing for guys like grote and winpitcher to do is become a Phillie Phanatic!

Plenty of room to join the bus.

aconte >>

I probably shouldn't publicly post what was discussed in a private PM, but Grote15 and WinPitcher have repeatedly asked me to use my inside connections with the Philly Fan Club, and do whatever possible now to get them an immediate membership because of the current years long waiting list to get in due to huge demand.

I replied to them, "I'll see what I can do."

• Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    One that bothers me even today is Tino Martinez was replaced by Giambi. We all know how that turned out!

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Rick ... because of all the terrible trades the Mets have made (see below for a few more GREAT ones they made) I have been told that METS cards will be worthless pretty soon ... Please PM me for my address here on Long Island so you can unload all those worthless PSA graded Mets on me! LOL. PS Nice to see you on these boards.

Tom Seaver for Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson and Dan Norman.

Nolan Ryan was traded by the Mets, along with Frank Estrada, Don Rose and Leroy Stanton for Jim Fregosi.

Mike Scott was traded to Houston for outfielder Danny Heep.

David Cone to Toronto for Ryan Thompson and Jeff Kent. The Mets then compounded that mistake by trading Kent to Cleveland for Carlos Baerga.

Amos Otis and Bob Johnson to the Kansas City Royals for Joe Foy.

Lenny Dykstra, Roger McDowell and Tom Edens to the Philadelphia Phillies for Juan Samuel. >>

OK, OK, plenty of people traded away HOFers: Lou Brock, Joe Morgan, Steve Carlton, etc.

Yeah, the Mets gave up too early on Ryan, but then the Angles, thought he was done, and gave up on him, so did the 'Stros.

Seaver was having a tough time with management and his first departure was unfortunate (so was his second), but in return they got Zachary who was in the starting rotation for years, Flynn who won a gold glove (maybe 2 at 2nd), Henderson who hit .300+ a few times.

The Mets have also been on the GREAT end of some trades -- Keith Hernandez for Neil Allen, David Cone for Ed Hearn, Ron Darling for Lee Mazzilli. and when they got John Olerud from the BLue Jays, the Jays were paying 6 mil of his 6.5 mil salary.

Rusty Staub was a big acquisition. They gave up 3 everyday players, Jorgensen (1B), Foli (ss) and Singleton (rf). Staub was the first met to get 100 RBIs and he helped them get into the post-season in 1973. Of course, a few years later, they traded him for Mickey Lolich -- the agony.

Another 3 for 1 with the Expos (Staub came from Montreal) was Gary Carter.

• Options
    I hate to say it but the Mets this year will be a very dangerous club with all the young hungry players that have a lot to prove with no pressure, They also dumped the overpriced Castillo to the Phillies that canot catch a pop up and no hustle because of $6 mill in his back pocket. They also disposed of Perez for the same reason. Over paid players do not produce. The Mets this year are way better for those 2 Reasons said and wait till they dump hampstring Reyes midyear for some young pitching guns for that unhittable new Met stadium.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to ol' Louie manning 2B for the Phillies this season...as SteveK says, now the Phillies are the mercenaries and the Mets have nothing to lose with lots of young players and players out to prove themselves..

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for my post earlier, I should have read the title before posting. I did not know we were dumping on the Mets and Phils.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    "How the hell could you trade Jay Buhner???"

"My baseball people kept telling me, Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps!"
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hate to say it but the Mets this year will be a very dangerous club with all the young hungry players that have a lot to prove with no pressure, They also dumped the overpriced Castillo to the Phillies that canot catch a pop up and no hustle because of $6 mill in his back pocket. They also disposed of Perez for the same reason. Over paid players do not produce. The Mets this year are way better for those 2 Reasons said and wait till they dump hampstring Reyes midyear for some young pitching guns for that unhittable new Met stadium. >>

I'm a life-long Mets fan. They will not be good this year. Under .500 in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz.
    Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell
    Carl Pavano for Pedro Martinez >>

Those first two served their purpose. Alexander went 9-0 down the stretch in Detroit and the Tigers won the AL East in 1987. Larry Andersen locked down that Boston bullpen with a 1.23 ERA over 15 apperances and Boston won the AL East in 1990.

In 2010 the Rangers traded Justin Smoak and 2 other prospects for Cliff Lee. If Smoak goes onto to hit 400 HRs in a 20 year career will we say it was a horrible trade? Will people have forgotten the Rangers World Series Appearance by then? If Smoak goes onto that type of career, I'll say it was still worth it. Sir Cliff pitched us into the World Series.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    Actually Nolan Ryan was a player to be named later in the Fregosi trade. Originally, the Angels requested Gary Gentry, and were told he's off the table!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hate to say it but the Mets this year will be a very dangerous club with all the young hungry players that have a lot to prove with no pressure, They also dumped the overpriced Castillo to the Phillies that canot catch a pop up and no hustle because of $6 mill in his back pocket. They also disposed of Perez for the same reason. Over paid players do not produce. The Mets this year are way better for those 2 Reasons said and wait till they dump hampstring Reyes midyear for some young pitching guns for that unhittable new Met stadium. >>

Continued dismantling of the Minaya Disaster. Just as soon as Beltran starts producing, the Mets will move him too. Reyes--The question is do the Mets get a draft pick or a low level player for taking him off their payroll.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    People always knock the Doyle for Smoltz trade, but that was a good one. Doyle went 9-0 with an era of just over 1.00 and pitched Detroit into the last division they won. besides, the crappy Tiger coaches at the time would have just misused Smoltz and saw to it that he faded into obscurity......
  • Options
    Tom Seaver for Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson and Dan Norman. June 15th 1977
    Dave Kingman for Bobby Valentine and Paul Siebert. June 15th 1977

Dark days.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People always knock the Doyle for Smoltz trade, but that was a good one. Doyle went 9-0 with an era of just over 1.00 and pitched Detroit into the last division they won. besides, the crappy Tiger coaches at the time would have just misused Smoltz and saw to it that he faded into obscurity...... >>

That's probably true.

I always liked DA and I was pleased by his success in Detroit that year.

They almost pawned Steve Searcy off on the Braves, instead. Bless John Hagemann's heart.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I think the last eight years or so have really been illuminating for a lot of baseball fans. For years I simply assumed that it was only NY fans that were insufferable, but I've learned since that Boston and Philadelphia fans are every bit their equal; and, I might venture, perhaps even worse. For the first time ever I'll be be rooting for the Yanks in every NY/Bos series and the Mets in every NY/Phils series this year, something I would never have even considered doing as recently as five years ago.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The Mets have been very excited about the results of Carlos Beltran's participation in SIMULATED outfield play and intend to get him into a minor league game this weekend.

However, in a bigger development, the Mets have announced that they will have SIMULATED attendance at Citi Field this year since season ticket sales are down more than 50% from two seasons ago.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    As bad as the Mets may have been over the last few years, they were still 12th in attendance last year. http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2010

Just remember everything goes in cycles. I started rooting for the Mets in the late 70s and they were bad. No, I mean they were really bad. I actually got excited when Doug Flynn won a gold glove. This is nothing compared to that.

It does amuse me that other fans enjoy picking up the Mets, but come to think of it only the Giants fans should be talking. And the Ranger fans too, they had a great year other than the ending. Last year should be a lesson to everyone, no one is guaranteed anything. I am actually looking forward to this baseball season instead of hearing about Omar, Ollie, and Louie, AFTER hockey season is over of course!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For years I simply assumed that it was only NY fans that were insufferable, but I've learned since that Boston and Philadelphia fans are every bit their equal; and, I might venture, perhaps even worse. >>

Nouveau riche.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the last eight years or so have really been illuminating for a lot of baseball fans. For years I simply assumed that it was only NY fans that were insufferable, but I've learned since that Boston and Philadelphia fans are every bit their equal; and, I might venture, perhaps even worse. For the first time ever I'll be be rooting for the Yanks in every NY/Bos series and the Mets in every NY/Phils series this year, something I would never have even considered doing as recently as five years ago. >>

Thank you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    As soon as Ryan Howard reverts to Dave Kingman these Phillie fans won't be as smug.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm looking forward to ol' Louie manning 2B for the Phillies this season...as SteveK says, now the Phillies are the mercenaries and the Mets have nothing to lose with lots of young players and players out to prove themselves.. >>

Phillies payroll not that much higher than the Mets:

Team Salaries
    RK TEAM Salary (US$)
    1 New York Yankees 206,738,389
    2 Boston Red Sox 160,913,333
    3 Chicago Cubs 146,609,000
    4 Philadelphia Phillies 142,728,379
    5 New York Mets 136,022,942
    6 Detroit Tigers 122,864,928
    7 Chicago White Sox 105,530,000
    8 Los Angeles Angels 104,161,666
    9 San Francisco Giants 98,586,333
    10 Los Angeles Dodgers 95,358,016
    11 St. Louis Cardinals 93,940,751
    12 Houston Astros 92,355,500
    13 Minnesota Twins 90,309,166
    14 Seattle Mariners 86,910,000
    15 Atlanta Braves 84,423,666
    16 Colorado Rockies 83,172,000
    17 Baltimore Orioles 81,202,500
    18 Milwaukee Brewers 81,108,278
    19 Tampa Bay Rays 72,323,471
    20 Kansas City Royals 71,405,210
    21 Cincinnati Reds 68,200,542
    22 Washington Nationals 62,349,000
    23 Toronto Blue Jays 61,484,400
    24 Cleveland Indians 60,778,966
    25 Florida Marlins 55,239,500
    26 Texas Rangers 55,168,114
    27 Oakland Athletics 50,839,900
    28 Arizona Diamondbacks 48,452,166
    29 San Diego Padres 38,199,300
    30 Pittsburgh Pirates 34,933,000
  • Options

<< <i>As soon as Ryan Howard reverts to Dave Kingman these Phillie fans won't be as smug.

image >>

Phillies pitching is so good that Eddie Gaedel could bat cleanup, and the Phillies would still win 100 games. image
  • Options

<< <i>Phillies payroll not that much higher than the Mets >>

For this year anyway...LOL. Remember, they have $38M coming off the books after the year.

Not that the Phillies payroll is ridiculous, which it is not. For a contending team, it is where it should be IMO.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Phillies are the mercenaries now...ironically...

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Phillies payroll not that much higher than the Mets >>

For this year anyway...LOL. Remember, they have $38M coming off the books after the year. >>

The Mets have $38M coming off the books and will be looking to shed another $50M more! They will be pulling a 1997 Florida Marlins move WITHOUT winning a World Series. Countdown has already begun for the firesale. Reyes and Beltran gone before August and they'll be begging someone to take Bay, too...

Freddie Wilpon will no longer be Freedie Coupon, but Freddie Wilponzi... And the Mets fans will still tout their "young, hungry" kids. Just like Wilson, Izzy and Pulsipher were the next coming of Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine.
  • Options

<< <i>Phillies are the mercenaries now...ironically... >>

Technically you are incorrect...with a number of the Phillies signings, the players could have gotten better money elsewhere...the reason they signed to play in Philly is simple...these players wanted to play for the best sports fans in the world and in the best sports town in the world.
  • Options

<< <i>these players wanted to play for the best sports fans in the world and in the best sports town in the world. >>

Then why sign with Philly?
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>these players wanted to play for the best sports fans in the world and in the best sports town in the world. >>

Then why sign with Philly? >>

They are proven winners!

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>

Then why sign with Philly? >>

May have also been for the delicious cheesesteaks. LOL
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I don't think Beltran will be traded. I think he ends up on the 60 day DL before too long, and he can't be traded at that point.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    < Phillies are the mercenaries now...ironically... >>

Technically you are incorrect...with a number of the Phillies signings, the players could have gotten better money elsewhere...the reason they signed to play in Philly is simple...these players wanted to play for the best sports fans in the world and in the best sports town in the world.

LMAO...the same fans who booed Santa Claus and cheered when Michael Irvin lay prone on the turf after a severe hit? The ones who throw up on each other in the stands and throw batteries at opposing players? those fans? image

• Options

<< <i>< Phillies are the mercenaries now...ironically... >>

LMAO...the same fans who booed Santa Claus and cheered when Michael Irvin lay prone on the turf after a severe hit? The ones who throw up on each other in the stands and throw batteries at opposing players? those fans? image >>

Thanks for the reminder, I gotta go practice and get my arm in battery throwing shape for the upcoming season.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder, I gotta go practice and get my arm in battery throwing shape for the upcoming season.

Luckily for the Mets players, you couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, Steve..image

• Options

<< <i>Thanks for the reminder, I gotta go practice and get my arm in battery throwing shape for the upcoming season.

Luckily for the Mets players, you couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, Steve..image >>

You're right - maybe I need to try using the shotgun approach, maybe throwing out a handful of those little round camera batteries so the chances are better of hitting something. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>You're right - maybe I need to try using the shotgun approach, maybe throwing out a handful of those little round camera batteries so the chances are better of hitting something. LOL >>

Steve, I hear the Nats are looking for pitching help. Maybe you could straighten out Ollie while you are there.

I also think you are onto something with the cheesesteaks.

Collecting: