Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Its time to pick on METS Fans....

2»

Comments

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And the Mets fans will still tout their "young, hungry" kids. Just like Wilson, Izzy and Pulsipher were the next coming of Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine. >>

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" >>

Well, the Mets will win at least 50 games this year.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" >>

Well, the Mets will win at least 50 games this year.

Back end of the Yankees' pitching staff may be even worse than the Mets...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Well, the Mets will win at least 50 games this year. >>

See, I'm feeling some positive waves. You could have said "only 50 games".

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" >>

Sutherland in Kelly's Heroes?
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never understood what a Met was anyway. i mean the word "met" is past tense verb for meet isn't it? The name Mets never made any sense to me.

<< <i>

Sutherland in Kelly's Heroes? >>

Correct. One of the best movies ever!!!

Collecting:

• << <i>I never understood what a Met was anyway. i mean the word "met" is past tense verb for meet isn't it? The name Mets never made any sense to me. >>

Metropolitans
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

<< <i>I never understood what a Met was anyway. i mean the word "met" is past tense verb for meet isn't it? The name Mets never made any sense to me. >>

Short for Metropolitans. Try putting that on a jersey...LOL.

Collecting:

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sutherland in Kelly's Heroes? >>

Correct. One of the best movie ever!!! >>

Don Rickles was great in that movie.

<< <i>

<< <i>I never understood what a Met was anyway. i mean the word "met" is past tense verb for meet isn't it? The name Mets never made any sense to me. >>

Metropolitans >>

You're right - Grote15 had already sent me a profane PM about that. image

Grote15 knows I was just kidding - I lived in Connecticut until the 4th grade during the 60's and was a big Mets and Yankees fan at the time...until moving to Philly in the 5th grade, and my New York team loyalty eventually wore off and I became a Philadelphia fan...took awhile, a number of years though for it to finally wear off.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Metropolitans >>

Grote15 knows I was just kidding - I lived in Connecticut until the 4th grade during the 60's and was a big Mets and Yankees fan at the time...until moving to Philly in the 5th grade, and my New York team loyalty eventually wore off and I became a Philadelphia fan...took awhile, a number of years though for it to finally wear off. >>

Rough age to move and switch teams!

<< <i>You're right - Grote15 had already sent me a profane PM about that. image

Grote15 knows I was just kidding - I lived in Connecticut until the 4th grade during the 60's and was a big Mets and Yankees fan at the time...until moving to Philly in the 5th grade, and my New York team loyalty eventually wore off and I became a Philadelphia fan...took awhile, a number of years though for it to finally wear off. >>

It is good to have Grote on your side. And its o.k. about the whole Philly conversation thing, you're alright in my book.

Don Rickles was great in that movie plus it had Clint. I love those Sutherland quotes though.

Collecting:
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I love that Bob, from Bob's Country Bunker in The Blues Brothers, ("That ain't no Hank Williams song!"), is the guy they leave to snipe from the tower.

<< <i>I love that Bob, from Bob's Country Bunker in The Blues Brothers, ("That ain't no Hank Williams song!"), is the guy they leave to snipe from the tower. >>

Another classic!!! I try using this on the wife when I'm late but it never seems to work...

"No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"

Collecting:

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Metropolitans >>

Rough age to move and switch teams! >>

You're right - I became almost an instant Eagles fan because I hadn't really followed football all that much until after I moved. But I didn't give up allegiance to the Yankees and Mets for a number of years, sometime deep into High School, but in any event, I'll always cherish my fond memories of those great Yankees players as well as the miracle Mets championship back in 1969.

One good aspect of it, if any student at that time would have been asked who was the biggest card collector in the school, they would have likely pointed to me...and while in CT, Yankees cards were almost never flipped or traded, very hard to come by, but when moving to Philly, it was like a bonanza because nobody there cared about the Yankees cards, overall they only wanted Phillies cards, and I couldn't have cared less about Phillies cards back then, and it was like I was in heaven because I was amazingly good at flipping baseball cards and often won many thousands of cards throughout the school year...so i had hundreds of Yankees cards from that time - a joy of childhood that I'll always remember, and I still have many of them.

The only regret is that I had held in my hands at that time, no doubt, millions and millions of dollars in future value of 60's baseball cards. If only then I knew to save the dam things in pristine condition. LOL

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Metropolitans >>

Rough age to move and switch teams! >>

You're right - I became almost an instant Eagles fan because I hadn't really followed football all that much until after I moved. But I didn't give up allegiance to the Yankees and Mets for a number of years, sometime deep into High School, but in any event, I'll always cherish my fond memories of those great Yankees players as well as the miracle Mets championship back in 1969.

One good aspect of it, if any student at that time would have been asked who was the biggest card collector in the school, they would have likely pointed to me...and while in CT, Yankees cards were almost never flipped or traded, very hard to come by, but when moving to Philly, it was like a bonanza because nobody there cared about the Yankees cards, overall they only wanted Phillies cards, and I couldn't have cared less about Phillies cards back then, and it was like I was in heaven because I was amazingly good at flipping baseball cards and often won many thousands of cards throughout the school year...so i had hundreds of Yankees cards from that time - a joy of childhood that I'll always remember, and I still have many of them.

The only regret is that I had held in my hands at that time, no doubt, millions and millions of dollars in future value of 60's baseball cards. If only then I knew to save the dam things in pristine condition. LOL >>

LOL! great story! thank you for sharing

<< <i>

<< <i>You're right - Grote15 had already sent me a profane PM about that. image

It is good to have Grote on your side. And its o.k. about the whole Philly conversation thing, you're alright in my book.

Don Rickles was great in that movie plus it had Clint. I love those Sutherland quotes though. >>

<<< It is good to have Grote on your side >>>

I like Grote15, but soon we'll be busting each others chops at Sports Talk because his Mets and my Phillies are in the same division. Oh well, no sense waiting...the Mets suck. image
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Grote15, but soon we'll be busting each others chops at Sports Talk because his Mets and my Phillies are in the same division. Oh well, no sense waiting...the Mets suck.

Cpamike is a relatively new member of this forum..so I don't think he's heard my pearls of wisdom about the fox and the grapes...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>

I like Grote15, but soon we'll be busting each others chops at Sports Talk because his Mets and my Phillies are in the same division. Oh well, no sense waiting...the Mets suck.

Cpamike is a relatively new member of this forum..so I don't think he's heard my pearls of wisdom about the fox and the grapes... >>

oh no...please...anything but that. image

<< <i>I like Grote15, but soon we'll be busting each others chops at Sports Talk because his Mets and my Phillies are in the same division. Oh well, no sense waiting...the Mets suck. image >>

Not yet...anyway.

Great story about your move to Philly. Thanks for sharing.

I have one for you. I was 16 and took a bus trip to Philly in 1983 to watch the Rangers play the Flyers. I wore my Rangers jersey with number 4 "Ron Greschner" on the back. I sat with a bunch of guys I played hockey with and they were a couple of years older than me (but definitely not wiser). We were high up in one of the back rows and some of the Flyer fans in front of us would keep standing up just to yell at the refs. Well my buddies didn't appreciate that too much and told the guys to sit down. Well, as you know, the Flyer fans didn't take to this very well and told my friend to sit down and shut up. Well of course they had been drinking all the way down on the bus plus at the arena so they said, "Why don't you come up here and make us". I guess the Philly fans decided it was not worth the amount of pain involved because they sat back down and left us alone the rest of the game." Of course I was deciding which one of my friends to hide behind.

The bus also stopped off in Atlantic City on the way down, but that's a whole other story.

Collecting:

<< <i>

<< <i>

Cpamike is a relatively new member of this forum..so I don't think he's heard my pearls of wisdom about the fox and the grapes... >>

oh no...please...anything but that. image

image >>

Please, I love a good story before bedtime.

Collecting:

<< <i>

<< <i>I like Grote15, but soon we'll be busting each others chops at Sports Talk because his Mets and my Phillies are in the same division. Oh well, no sense waiting...the Mets suck. image >>

Not yet...anyway.

Great story about your move to Philly. Thanks for sharing.

I have one for you. I was 16 and took a bus trip to Philly in 1983 to watch the Rangers play the Flyers. I wore my Rangers jersey with number 4 "Ron Greschner" on the back. I sat with a bunch of guys I played hockey with and they were a couple of years older than me (but definitely not wiser). We were high up in one of the back rows and some of the Flyer fans in front of us would keep standing up just to yell at the refs. Well my buddies didn't appreciate that too much and told the guys to sit down. Well, as you know, the Flyer fans didn't take to this very well and told my friend to sit down and shut up. Well of course they had been drinking all the way down on the bus plus at the arena so they said, "Why don't you come up here and make us". I guess the Philly fans decided it was not worth the amount of pain involved because they sat back down and left us alone the rest of the game." Of course I was deciding which one of my friends to hide behind.

The bus also stopped off in Atlantic City on the way down, but that's a whole other story. >>

The vast majority of good sports fans are all bluff and no action when it comes to actual fighting...of course ya get an exception every once in awhile...but in today's litigious society, and Philly is bad for that, just a punch to someone's nose can cost ya an awful lot of money, plus possible jail time - not worth it.

The truth is, most Philly fans have a lot of respect for NY fans. I do business with many people in New York and we sometimes have good conversations about sports and always sincerely wish each other's teams good luck...and we mean it except when our teams are playing against each other. image

<< <i>The vast majority of good sports fans are all bluff and no action when it comes to actual fighting...of course ya get an exception every once in awhile...but in today's litigious society, and Philly is bad for that, just a punch to someone's nose can cost ya an awful lot of money, plus possible jail time - not worth it.

The truth is, most Philly fans have a lot of respect for NY fans. I do business with many people in New York and we sometimes have good conversations about sports and always sincerely wish each other's teams good luck...and we mean it except when our teams are playing against each other. image >>

I agree with you, but back in the early 80's especially at hockey games I would see a fight or two at every Rangers - Islanders game. I still remember 2 idiots punching each other as they rolled down the steps at the Nassau Coliseum.

I think 90+% of fans overall respect each others team. Its the few bad apples that cause problems.

As a side note, I was compared to the Flyers Kenny Linseman as a youth in hockey. Now I'm more of a Ryan Callahan type if you follow hockey.

Collecting:

<< <i>

<< <i>The vast majority of good sports fans are all bluff and no action when it comes to actual fighting...of course ya get an exception every once in awhile...but in today's litigious society, and Philly is bad for that, just a punch to someone's nose can cost ya an awful lot of money, plus possible jail time - not worth it.

The truth is, most Philly fans have a lot of respect for NY fans. I do business with many people in New York and we sometimes have good conversations about sports and always sincerely wish each other's teams good luck...and we mean it except when our teams are playing against each other. image >>

I agree with you, but back in the early 80's especially at hockey games I would see a fight or two at every Rangers - Islanders game. I still remember 2 idiots punching each other as they rolled down the steps at the Nassau Coliseum.

I think 90+% of fans overall respect each others team. Its the few bad apples that cause problems.

As a side note, I was compared to the Flyers Kenny Linseman as a youth in hockey. Now I'm more of a Ryan Callahan type if you follow hockey. >>

You must have been a pretty good hockey player to be compared to a NHL player.

I'll jump on the bandwagon when the Flyers are going for the Cup, but I've only ever been to one Flyers game at the Spectrum many years ago - I thoroughly enjoyed it and hockey is a great sport...but I'm basically strictly a MLB and NFL fan, and I do enjoy college football very much as well.

<< <i>You must have been a pretty good hockey player to be compared to a NHL player.

I'll jump on the bandwagon when the Flyers are going for the Cup, but I've only ever been to one Flyers game at the Spectrum many years ago - I thoroughly enjoyed it and hockey is a great sport...but I'm basically strictly a MLB and NFL fan, and I do enjoy college football very much as well. >>

They used to call me "the rat" like Kenny because I would start trouble by driving the other team crazy then hide behind my teammates. I was younger than most of the guys I started playing with so I could not compete with them physically, but would run circles around them so to speak and yap up a storm. I've mellowed out over the years and now only yell at myself when I miss scoring a goal...LOL.

I used to have season tickets to the Rangers, but it got too expensive and my brother would only pay when he went to the game so I forked over money for 2 season tickets...Och!!! I love football as well especially college football.

Collecting:

<< <i>

<< <i>You must have been a pretty good hockey player to be compared to a NHL player.

I'll jump on the bandwagon when the Flyers are going for the Cup, but I've only ever been to one Flyers game at the Spectrum many years ago - I thoroughly enjoyed it and hockey is a great sport...but I'm basically strictly a MLB and NFL fan, and I do enjoy college football very much as well. >>

They used to call me "the rat" like Kenny because I would start trouble by driving the other team crazy then hide behind my teammates. I was younger than most of the guys I started playing with so I could not compete with them physically, but would run circles around them so to speak and yap up a storm. I've mellowed out over the years and now only yell at myself when I miss scoring a goal...LOL.

I used to have season tickets to the Rangers, but it got too expensive and my brother would only pay when he went to the game so I forked over money for 2 season tickets...Och!!! I love football as well especially college football. >>

Ya do what ya gotta do...on my high school football team, I prefered to play the positions whereby ya wouldn't have to tangle much with the big guys because I was around 6' tall, 150 lbs soaking wet...so I mostly played wide receiver so I could survive out there. The only thing I was ever that good at though was special teams - I particularly enjoyed defensive punt returns and kickoffs, and was pretty good at avoiding blocks, and quickly figuring the correct angle to get in on the tackle - not much talent needed for that...just lunacy. LOL

Yes, I love the Eagles and Phillies, but my #1 sports love will always be Penn State football.

<< <i>Yes, I love the Eagles and Phillies, but my #1 sports love will always be Penn State football. >>

Big Ten Football is the best. I have great memories of seeing Purdue - Notre Dame at Ross-Ade Stadium. Looking forward to taking my kids someday.

Collecting:
  • chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where's Chaz when you need him? >>

I'm right here bro.....chaz
  • denny doyle got the only hit as the first batter of the agme.
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....