Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the least collected denomination and why?

I see all kinds of posts about Dollars, Halfs, Dimes, Penny and some on Quarters, but very few on Nickles.
Are Nickles the least collectable in the coin world?

If so, why and what would have to change to make them more collectable?

Comments

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Half dimes, trimes, one dollar gold? All the real small stuff!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to say.. perhaps this is a good subject for a poll.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    I would have to say half cents are the least collected of the Federal coinage as a denomination series.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I believe many of the odd low value coins are the least collected. The 2 cent piece, both silver and nickel 3 cent pieces come to mind immediately. I think the 1/2 cent is more collected than those two pieces. I am leaving out the 20 cent piece as they are popular for a number of reasons.

All you need to do is to look at the prices of the various 3 cent pieces in a grade or two below the top grades and see how inexpensive they are, considering the relative rarity. I have often thought of doing a circulated set of 3CNs just for the fun of it, but have never quite gotten to it.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Who cares image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 cent?

Short set, not a lot of variation to keep your interest.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be thinking the $4 gold as a series would not have a large following!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>I would be thinking the $4 gold as a series would not have a large following! >>

I was thinking either this, or $20 gold.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    2 and 3 cent pieces. The half cents don't even come close, partly becuase it's early copper (rides on the coat-tails of their larger sisters) and because they are some of the earliest pieces produced by the American mint. There are many half cents that cause people to look...1793, 1796, 1802, 1811, not to mention some of the later proofs. The half cent is MUCH more collected than the two or three cent pieces.

Just from a type-set perspective alone one would have to conclude that they get more attention. The standard type set includes 4 half cents, whereas it only includes a single 2 cent piece, and two three cent pieces. This means as a series the half cent would be colllected at least twice as much as the two or three cent pieces. Which means at least twice as much attention to the series. If we were to use the larger definition of the type set, this number increases to at least 6 for half cents, sometimes more, and I believe the numbers for the two and three cent pieces stay the same.
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    3 cent nickels have always been some of the most unpopular coinage so that would be my guess??
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    the trade denom
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I would guess 20 cent pieces

nickels have a broad base collector pool - both Buffalos and Jeffersons are rather strong

the more valuable denomination coins frequently were not saved (except by the well to do), generations ago

people these days have jars they keep their change in - quarters, dimes, nickels, cents

100 years ago, many people did not make a quarter for a days work
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double Denomination Coins image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20c -- the "Oh, yeah. I forgot about that denomination" denomination. $4 probably even moreso.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Hawaiian school lunch tokens. Serious. I only know one dealer for these. image
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>20c -- the "Oh, yeah. I forgot about that denomination" denomination. $4 probably even moreso. >>

the 4$ denom is collected to its limit, not many sitting in dealers cases or junk bins
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3c nickel, followed by 3c silver...my guess.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would be thinking the $4 gold as a series would not have a large following! >>

I collect them but just can't seem to find my first one.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 cent and dimes for me. maybe the 1 $ gold as well. my eye sight isint what it used to be
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I would think the 2C piece but not really sure.image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Obsolete type, mostly half cents, 2 cents and 3 cents. I like 'em, actually. image
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭✭
    I would guess $5 libs or $10 libs. A guge number of dates & mints, some of which are extremely rare.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $50 gold by date and assay company
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I was thinking either this, or $20 gold. >>

I would guess that more money is spent on $20 gold than any other denomination.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I collect them but just can't seem to find my first one. >>

I collect them, too. I am down to the last four to complete my set. image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id say possibly the 12 1/2 cent denomination.

Im an eager collector of these...but havent found one for sale yet!

HT 309 Feuchtwanger obverse RE Russell Reverse The only HTT denominated at 12 1/2 cents

• Options
    HotfootspinHotfootspin Posts: 430 ✭✭
    The least-collected coins are the ugly ones. 2 cents, shield nickels, liberty nickels (oops),
    Morgan dollars (BIG OOPS) ...

nevermind ...

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only seen a handful of people over the years collecting sets of 2C, 3CN or 3CS...

I don't think I've ever heard of someone colecting a set of 3$ pieces... only single specimens for type...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that 1/2c, 2c, and 3c collectors would outweigh trade dollar and seated dollar collectors. Those dollars are fairly expensive along with having some
    fairly expensive key date stoppers, especially seated dollars: 51, 52, the CC's, not to mention the 70-s.

A lot of beginning collectors like the obsolete series. They are old, fascinating, very completeable, and fairly inexpensive in the lower grades. If any forum members are
    doing them it's probably in XF/AU or unc grades. Back in my teens I had a 2c collection in progress.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    $50 GOLD
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Trimes and half dimes.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file