Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Medal of Honor anyone?

Who's fed up with the mint? And who's going to pull the trigger first thing in the morning?

I'm going to be getting one of each myself.

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm clueless what your post is about.
    Is a new modern issue involved?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think, if I remember correctly, I got a good conduct medal. Thank goodness I didn't get a Medal
    of Honor. Most are given posthumously. So, I don't deserve one and won't be ordering one.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint should issue one free to all recipients or families of the real Medal of Honor. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>The Mint should issue one free to all recipients or families of the real Medal of Honor. Cheers, RickO >>

Agreed.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there was a Cold War Victory Coin I would buy one and give it to my neighbor.

She is from Russia.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>If there was a Cold War Victory Coin I would buy one and give it to my neighbor.

She is from Russia.

image >>

Didn't Russia lose the Cold War? image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    It took me a few minutes to figure out that the Army and Medal of Honor programs were different. The Army designs seem rather bland and uninspiring to me, but I do really like the Medal of Honor coins, and will try to get them if I can swing it.

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Yes to both designsimage

1 proof gold, 5 unc's ordered
    Past BST deals baddogss,llafoe,braddick,wondercoin,fireman2030, ProofCollection, SNMAN,halfnut1
  • Options
    I'm ready to order both the silver and gold sets.
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    I like the looks of the gold Medal of Honor coin. Probably won't be getting one though. That kind of money would for me be better spent on pre-1933 gold.
  • Options
    Got my order in @ 12:05 AM... I have been getting this AM Time for years when will they fix this?
    Order number XXXX7623 No backup, ordered easy!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If there was a Cold War Victory Coin I would buy one and give it to my neighbor.

She is from Russia.

image >>

Didn't Russia lose the Cold War? image >>

Wouldn't that be the USSR lost the cold war, I believe Russia and all the former Soviet states won, they didn't beat any other nation, they won internally!
  • Options
    It's a good issue, but I will be buying in the aftermarket as usual.
  • Options
    When does the Mint charge for preorders? When the order is placed or when it ships?

I know most businesses don't charge until shipment, but for some reason I'm thinking the mint charges right away?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ships.

1 of each.

and not a bad idea to offer 1 of recipient's choice to them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    Now we have to wait till the end of April to early May to see our coins!
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    Slightly OT, but an interesting story. Many, many years ago Tom at our office bought a large deal from some family in Rhode Island. It was probably a situation where the eldest of the family had died and they were just clearing everything out. Most of the deal then sat around in our office for years before we started poking through it. At the time we were listing a lot on eBay, so we would put random exonumia from the deal up at 99 cents and hope it sold for more than that.

There was one medal in particular I was trying to identify to see if it was worth listing. I wasn't having much luck and was about to junk it (as in put it back in the pile of stuff to sit in the corner for another ten years), when I finally discovered what we had. It was a Congressional Medal of Honor! I think the date was 1888 and the recipient was named Matthew Gillick. He was awarded the medal for saving a child who had fallen into the water near where his Navy ship was docked in France. I was also able to determine that the recipient had been from Rhode Island.

Too many years had passed for Tom to remember from whom he had bought the deal, and finding any paperwork that old would probably have been impossible, so there was little chance of finding someone in his family. So I contacted the Congressional Medal of Honor Museum that is housed on the U.S.S. Yorktown in Charleston, SC. They were happy to accept it as a donation.

We took a picture of the medal but unfortunately lost the images some time ago. I've been on the Yorktown a few times (even slept on it), but it's been forever since I've been back. I look forward to my next visit so I can view the medal one more time, this time at a more proper home with other Medals of Honor.

Chris
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

Cool story, Chris. Pulls at the heartstrings to think something like that is lost to a family, but your actions were heroic in themselves!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>When does the Mint charge for preorders? When the order is placed or when it ships?

I know most businesses don't charge until shipment, but for some reason I'm thinking the mint charges right away? >>

If you order before March 28th prices are 54 for the silver proof, 49 for the silver uncirc, 449 for the gold proof, and 439 for the uncirc gold. After that date add 5 dollars. Of course add 4.95 for shipping and handling....

Anyone have an idea if commermoratives are cheaper in the after market? Or do they stay the same price as when you get them from the mint? I really like the gold piece but can only afford the silver one - which I am thinking about getting.
  • Options
    Why isn't the introductory discount proportional? Has it always been a fixed amount for each coin, regardless of its regular price?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    From the responses, I guess these are not exactly flying off the shelf.
    I plan to buy a set, but I am waiting until after the first.

Edit: Link
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass..................
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably by a silver proof and unc just to keep current. Not an overly great design to honor a great achievement IMO...obverse is fine but the reverse does nothing for me.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    Just placed my order. All I wanted was the silver proof. Met a couple of Medal of Honor winners while in the Marines and Army. They were so down to earth and super nice guys. They seemed so cool and calm. So, in honor of them I had to have one...image
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>Why isn't the introductory discount proportional? Has it always been a fixed amount for each coin, regardless of its regular price? >>

Not at all. Years ago the discounts were much better. And they were always higher for the gold coins. Now there's not much of an inducement to buy on the first day.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    CMH aren't given they are earned

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file