Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to ID a proof seated dollar. GRADE IN! PF55!

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
I have an 1868 seated dollar I believe is a proof. What should I be looking for? It has minor circulation marks.

PCGS HAS SPOKEN! PF55!

Some quick pics:
Two sets of images, straight on and tilted to show mirrors. Lighting makes hairlines look much worse than they really are.

imageimage

imageimage
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    If it's a proof AU, look for reflectivity and evidence of a wire rim. And a sharp strike.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    If minor circulation is present then check the rims and reeding on the edges. Proof coins should always have well struck and squared features.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Wire rim? Will post pics tonight.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wire rim? Will post pics tonight. >>

Pictures would help greatly.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wire rim is often present, even if just partial. But those sharply struck edges should feel different in your hands vs. a beveled business strike. Some proofs can come with weak features in the stars, claws, feathers, etc. so lack of a fully struck coin is not automatic casue to reject it.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    See above for images
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    Nothing about it says Proof to me.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    That is a seated dollar?

Not a proof in my opinion. The areas inside the shield should be reflective...strong rims but not strong enough...I can't match the dies to Heritage, but my search was limited.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Not a proof
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is not saying proof.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I vote no as well. The rims don't look good enough.

-Paul
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    This date comes very prooflike. All three of ours are slightly prooflike - with the MS-63 more than the others, it even got the designation by NGC. For this date, die markers may be needed, but a good alternative is to look for the prooflike fields inside the shield in addition to the other things mentioned by other members here.

Here is our MS-63PL, in hand it looks much more "black and white", my images were taken trying to hide the cameo effect a little...

imageimage
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a proof.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info speety. This was sold to me as a proof a few years ago. Would I have any recourse at this point? It was bought from Executive Coin Company. They are still in business today.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the info speety. This was sold to me as a proof a few years ago. Would I have any recourse at this point? It was bought from Executive Coin Company. They are still in business today. >>

A wise man once told me to not deal with these guys.

I'd be surprised if they took it back.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the info speety. This was sold to me as a proof a few years ago. Would I have any recourse at this point? It was bought from Executive Coin Company. They are still in business today. >>

They are listed as an authorized PCGS dealer. That might give you some leverage in trying to get your money back.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    After viewing the pictures I agree with the others that the coin is not a proof.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Thanks. Will give it a shot. It's been sitting in my Dansco 7070 album since I bought it. I took their word for it and assumed it was a proof. MaybeI will have to send it to PCGS first?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks. Will give it a shot. It's been sitting in my Dansco 7070 album since I bought it. I took their word for it and assumed it was a proof. MaybeI will have to send it to PCGS first? >>

If it looks anything like the images, it's not a Proof. I'd show it to a couple of dealers, and if they say business strike, contact the seller. If they won't cooperate, tell them you will take it up with PCGS (and the ANA, as I see they are an ANA member) image
  • Options
    You might have a shot with ANA if you are a member as well. If not, forget that route as they will side with the dealer. All they have to say is that's not the same coin. Do you have photographic proof or a sealed orig envelope to prove it came from them? Otherwise just your word against theirs.

They are BBB members as well. I know most members like to keep their feedback positive. A complaint to the BBB would certainly get their attention if they don't want to cooperate. After a couple years I'd be leery of someone coming back with a coin. It has dropped in value in that time so expect for that to be taken into account.

A "minor" point is that this particular date (1868) is probably worth more as a MS60 business strike than a PF60, which is what you bought. It gets a little more dicey as AU58 vs PF58 but probably still within a few hundred bucks. In my mind, for most lower mintage Philly coins from 1860-1890 I would value circ proofs at slightly to moderately less than the business strikes. There is probably more demand for business strike date sets than proof sets. Not a proof imo. Looks to have a light cleaning, esp. the reverse. For my money I think it's worth more as a circ business strike but the point could be argued either way depending on who you talk to. 1868 is a tough date in full mint state. According to my last CW CoinValues it brings a significant premium to common dates in AU58.

roadrunner
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    you are better off NOT having a Proof, imo. esp if below P60. image
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    a high end business strike 1868 dollar is worth more than a circ proof, (unless you severely overpaid) so you would actually owe them money.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options

<< <i>you are better off NOT having a Proof, imo. esp if below P60. image >>

CDN lists a PF60 at $1700 and AU at $750. So a slightly impaired Proof could be worth more than an AU business strike - it depends on the condition of the coin. But the OP could be a lot worse off than he is.
  • Options

<< <i>

CDN lists a PF60 at $1700 and AU at $750. So a slightly impaired Proof could be worth more than an AU business strike - it depends on the condition of the coin. But the OP could be a lot worse off than he is. >>

My old CW CoinValues shows AU50 at $1000 and AU58 at $2000....a doubling of price. So based on the CDN, an AU58 might fetch $1500 min. To me it would be more desireable than a PF60 ($1700). World of difference in better date seated dollars from AU50 to AU58.

If sent to PCGS and comes back bagged or genuine, you might have some chance at recourse with Executive. I don't know of too many dealers who give a 3 yr warranty in writing. And regardless of date, if you wanted a proof and didn't get one, that's what matters.

roadrunner
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

CDN lists a PF60 at $1700 and AU at $750. So a slightly impaired Proof could be worth more than an AU business strike - it depends on the condition of the coin. But the OP could be a lot worse off than he is. >>

My Oct 2008 CW CV shows AU50 at $1000 and AU58 at $2000....a doubling of price. So based on the CDN, an AU58 might fetch $1500 min. To me it would be more desireable than a PF60 ($1700). World of difference in better date seated dollars from AU50 to AU58...not so much different than XF45+ vs. MS60.

roadrunner >>

If it's an AU58, it would be more valuable than a slightly impaired Proof. As an AU 55, perhaps not. And less than AU55, bad deal.
  • Options
    Agreed. Looks to have AU58/60 details imo. I'd be more concerned about a no grade. That could make $500+ difference right there.

roadrunner
  • Options
    New images added.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those latest pictures make it look pretty good.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    So, exactly what do we have going here then...maybe some worn proof dies were used to strike up this coin, a proof planchet got mixed in with business plans, a new set of dies along with a nice planchet, what?

There must be some sort of convergence going on here to create this coin.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very nice business strike, not proof. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I guess the question now is if it will slab.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    Date placement is the best way to determine if the Proof die was used on large 19th Cen issues that often come PL like SLD or DE, IMO.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    It does not appear to have the reverse die of all the proofs of that year. On the proof die, there is a thin "spine" that runs from the lowest arrowhead to the inner curve of the L.

So -- I vote business strike.

I would also venture a guess that it would end up in a Genuine holder due to cleaning.
  • Options
    Any other thoughts?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    I think it will GEN94 because there seems to me to be a spot that was worked/smoothed/tooled by star 5 to remove carbon. That combined with the dipped out look, I do not see it being a coin they would want to back with their house's money
  • Options
    Ttt
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for bumping this or I would have missed it. It was very interesting. Reminded me of another thread, a very lively and long monster thread about a Proof dollar - not Pr in that case.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dangers of making diffinitive statements based on photos.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I vote Proof! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, an obvious proof coin. Good on ya!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Hi again,

It would be interesting to see the first set(s) of posted photographs.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Glad you didn't take any of the advice about contacting the seller for a refund, at
    least you let the experts give it a shot first.
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    This thread was good bit of education for me. Thanks
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting to see how many well respected members were WRONG. Wowzers.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread was good bit of education for me. Thanks >>

daaaang

since ankurj started the thread, i thought he was back, then i looked at the original post date ><

nice to see he is still loggin in

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    While I have my suspicions that this resurrection is just a lame attempt to stir the pot, it is telling how many how many of the original posters back then are no longer with us today.
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Interesting to see how many well respected members were WRONG. Wowzers. >>

This is why I found it interesting it had nothing to do with AnkurJ Bamming, just a typical look as how bashing to the ego this place can be even when the bashers could be wrong. Its hard to be new here and excited about numismatics when all you exciting finds are shot down by some members. So no pot stirring here Crypto. Just a interesting statistical look at opinions thats why I still post and haven't given up learning when I can.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>Interesting to see how many well respected members were WRONG. Wowzers. >>

The fact PCGS graded the coin as they did is not proof that the posters in this thread were WRONG, you know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file