Home U.S. Coin Forum

Incredible colors!

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a 1894 S1 MS-64RB PCGS (EEPS) that I got at Long Beach and now that is sold, I can post it.

The Tucson Gem and Mineral show is in town. It is 30+ shows all over town. Some of my friends, Richard Spencer (looks like Ben Franklin) and Jim Watson stopped by the office. Jim deals in Fire Agate which exhibit beautiful colors when polished correctly. Here is a sample of fire agate that is about the size of a Indian Cent:

Here is a close-up image:

And an even closer shot of the same piece:

The value of this cent-sized piece of fire agate is $2K to $3K, as far as I was told. Not as much as the $3,500 that the 1894 S1 sold for, but just as beautiful.
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People pay that kind of money for those? image
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People pay that kind of money for those? image >>

Yes, and if you can believe it some IHCs even go for more than that!imageimage
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Jeeze Rick, since when do you have an electron microscope!?

-Paul
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes, and if you can believe it some IHCs even go for more than that!imageimage >>

I was deliberately being ambiguous. image
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, and if you can believe it some IHCs even go for more than that!imageimage >>

I was deliberately being ambiguous. image >>

I wasn't.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kinda spotty - shouldn't it have be 'genuined' for that? image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree - EEPS!!!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice doubled date! I like it.
    Lance.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, some very vivid color there! Really pretty!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The value of this cent-sized piece of fire agate is $2K to $3K >>

EagleEye, Are you busting our stones image

(Pun intended) image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Thats very nice!
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sure is a beauty!!! Thanks for sharing it! And that 1894/94 isn't half bad either ..... image
    Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool rock!

• << <i>I was deliberately being ambiguous. image >>

You mean contentious. image
  • Rick, that looks like a prime candidate for a Secure Plus holder. Are you thinking of submitting it?

• << <i>That sure is a beauty!!! Thanks for sharing it! And that 1894/94 isn't half bad either ..... image >>

Charmy, it looks like the entire date is doubled on that one. I can see it on the 894, and I think a little bit on the 1. I think it may be the one in the PCGS Price Guide.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin. Can that stone be reproduced by man?

• << <i>Very nice coin. Can that stone be reproduced by man? >>

Do you have something against women? image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fire agates (opals) are very attractive... color belongs on a gem, not on a coin...image Cheers, RickO
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭

It may be just me, but I'm seeing a beautiful woman's torso when I look at that fire agate, complete with belly button. image

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Here is a piece on Ebay for $10,000....but most of the rest of the pieces are selling for under $10 bucks so clearly there are huge degrees in quality...not unlike coins image

Fire Agate on Ebay
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They bought a wash-basin full of raw fire agate for $20K. It might take 20 hours to polish a piece to perfection, but when it is done it goes from a $100 stone to a $1,000 - $3,000 piece of jewelery. The clear (Quartz?) material is polished away, so it is just a thin layer over the colored area. If they polish into the colored area, it is nearly ruined.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick that`s a beauty! Love the comparison with the stone and the closeups showing the rainbow effect... image

One of mine in Silver that Mr. Sonnier had called the "Black Opal" with a few images of a polished Black Opal i thought was cool... image

ABimage

imageimage

• The 94/94 is one of those that you don't need a glass to see
    that always makes for a popular variety $$
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.

• << <i>Here is a piece on Ebay for $10,000....but most of the rest of the pieces are selling for under $10 bucks so clearly there are huge degrees in quality...not unlike coins image

Fire Agate on Ebay >>

Wow only $10k and new without tags, wonder if this came from a rainbow meterorite-image

• << <i>Rick that`s a beauty! Love the comparison with the stone and the closeups showing the rainbow effect... image

One of mine in Silver that Mr. Sonnier had called the "Black Opal" with a few images of a polished Black Opal i thought was cool... image

ABimage

imageimage
    image >>

Now that is a nice toned Morgan-i am really surprised that no one is screaming AT!! even though PCGS graded it. hey RUSS and QUESTOR where are you? If you ever want to sell that piece PM me.

• << <i>Now that is a nice toned Morgan-i am really surprised that no one is screaming AT!! even though PCGS graded it. hey RUSS and QUESTOR where are you? If you ever want to sell that piece PM me. >>

It's in the slab. That means it's safe from the sniffer. image

EDIT: I wonder if they can get that thing to sniff through plastic?
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a thing of beauty! Beautiful toning on Prooflike fields!

Of course it is real - cant you see the gap in the toning by the stars.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1881 s is to baggy on reverse for the plus
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Dang...I was not able to make Tucson for the Gem show this year! Next Year!!
    Nice Color!!

Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure the rock is not AT. It happens with rocks also.

Ken
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Outstanding Indian Cent and out of this world toned Morgan, both exceptional!

• << <i>Of course it is real - cant you see the gap in the toning by the stars. >>

The "coin doctors" these days have these very tiny little stickers they put on the coins in those as well as other strategic areas before they dip them to simulate that "natural" effect. When they're finished, they remove them with acetone.

Don't you know anything? image
  • RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Fire Agate's are gorgeous, and are a rarity for sure. That one is amazing. The cent is equally as beautiful!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • I like it but am glad they didn't give it a 64RB + which would have had negative consequences for the sight unseen market image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file