Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New guess the grade - another 1839-O Half. Grade revealed in 1st post................

claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
This one was a submittal for cross over to PCGS. Anyone care to opine on the grade or otherwise?

The coin was obviously graded XF40 by NGC.

PCGS GRADE REVEAL: VF-35. I purchased this at auction anticipating that it was really a VF-XF coin, not deserving of a XF grade.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    I am a little suspicious of the toning, specifically that it was added to hide hairlines perhaps, but I like it and think it crossed at grade.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am a little suspicious of the toning, specifically that it was added to hide hairlines perhaps, but I like it and think it crossed at grade. >>

I agree. 40 detail. Toning is just a little dark.

Tom

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shouldn't be a problem for an xf40.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a Ch VF to me, perhaps a VF30 or VF35.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it as XF40 - I could also see PCGS having some issue with the toning.
    I love the die cracks running through the reverse. I have one with very similar diagnostics.
  • Options

<< <i>I like it as XF40 - I could also see PCGS having some issue with the toning.
    I love the die cracks running through the reverse. I have one with very similar diagnostics. >>

I grade it an ideal collector grade VF35. Beats the heck out of my AG3 but I had to have one and I didn't want to tie up any real money outside of my core collection.

I also have no problem with the NGC xf40 grade as it would bring XFmoney all day long
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF-30 to 35, and a bit too dark for my taste.

It's a nice coin, but I prefer to avoid the "light and dark" look that this coin displays.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if it wasn't all black at one time, and someone rubbed it with their fingers for a while to get the black off the high points and make it look better...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm wondering if it wasn't all black at one time, and someone rubbed it with their fingers for a while to get the black off the high points and make it look better... >>

I'm not sure that looks "better."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm wondering if it wasn't all black at one time, and someone rubbed it with their fingers for a while to get the black off the high points and make it look better... >>

I'm not sure that looks "better." >>

OK- less fugly. image
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man...I so want an original choice XF 39-O but this just doesnt fit the bill on the grade or originality IMO. I like it, but not as an XF....and probably not as original.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    35 if the toning is accepted as original...
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    So what did PCGS grade it?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    94 genuine.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF35. But I worry about the toning. Might 91/genuine.
    Lance.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Obverse seems to flirt with 40 but the reverse seems 35 at best. Surface marks should cost her but I'd be surprised to see her in a 30. My guess is 35
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Revealed.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May I inquire what's happening around star 8? Is that gunk or corrosion?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file