Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Territorials for the weekend!

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
This shouldn't last long. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! image

But I got nuthin' to contribute.
  • Options
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was the underbidder and it was mine for 5 days until the last 16 minutes of the auction... does that count? imageimage

1851 State of Caliifornia $2 1/2 Pattern PCGS 63 struck in Silver Rarity 7 PCGS Total Pop 2 66 is the high.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Counts in my book. image

I'd love to show you some Hawaiian territorials - anyone out there have any to show off??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Here are some cool dies from the Oregon Historical Society - it would be fun to borrow them for a few days. image

• Options

<< <i>image >>

C'mon now, stop trying to hijack this thread... those are colonials imageimage
  • Options
    Colonials?? Do tell. image
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only territorial I have ever owned is now in the Lakesammman collection!!!!

• Options
    Yep - here it is - 1861 $20 K12 - wouldn't you have guessed that Boiler78's would have been a pattern to boot. image

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do fractionals count?

R95
  • Options
    Well I have a couple good stories, but no photos right now.

I purchased my first pioneer piece in 1972 from the April-May 1972 Bowers and Ruddy Rare Coin Review (FPL), number 14 issue. It was an 1849 $5 Mass & Cal copper pattern (Kagin 2b). It cost me (and my dad image) $395. I had actually ordered an 1861 Clark Gruber $10 piece for $595, and was expecting that, but Nancy Ruddy called me and apoligized that the coin had already been sold... she asked me if I had a second choice, so I quickly pulled out the RCR and found a pioneer piece in my price range, which happened to be the Mass & Cal pattern. I still have this first major acquistion today. I had it certified by PCGS in 1999. It is one of the 2 copper $5 patterns now certified at PCGS, and currently resides in an PCGS AU55 holder. I have been planning to photo for Don Kagin, but just haven't gotten around to it. i

The other interesting story involves a Cal Fractional Gold piece I sold to a friend a year or so ago. I was assisting him find some nice pieces for his Cal Gold Collection and located a super BG-799A in a PCGS 65 holder. Due to the economy, he had to sell his Cal Gold collection earllier this year. It was sold through Heritage. Turns out the BG-799A was misattributed, and actually the reverse was found to be a previously unknown reverse die, and is the discovery piece for the variety. The coin was given a new designation, BG-799GG, and was sold at this year's ANA Heritage Platinum Sale in August. My friend got quite a bargain, I learned to check both obverse and reverses all the time when verifying attributions.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1128&Lot_No=1378&src=pr
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "ounce for ounce the best investment "

image my humble opinion
  • Options

<< <i>Colonials?? Do tell. image >>

Alaska Rural Rehabilitation Tokens were issued to circulate in a government sponsored colony in Alaska-----making them "colonial" tokens.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Alaska Rural Rehabilitation Tokens were issued to circulate in a government sponsored colony in Alaska-----making them "colonial" tokens. >>

Alaska was not a colony. It was a U.S. territory. There's a big difference.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    yes I would go with territory. PCGS pop report and registry groups them with Territorials.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is this for a picture of a couple of "Territorials?"

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a more serious note, here is my latest Territorial acquisition (A "Goofy Head.")

• Options
    Thanks for the territorial contributions - here's my last pic for the weekend. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Alaska Rural Rehabilitation Tokens were issued to circulate in a government sponsored colony in Alaska-----making them "colonial" tokens. >>

Alaska was not a colony. It was a U.S. territory. There's a big difference. >>

No, but the place where they circulated was in Palmer, AK, within a government sponsored colony. The legistation even referred to the program as a colony.
  • Options

<< <i>I was the underbidder and it was mine for 5 days until the last 16 minutes of the auction... does that count? imageimage

1851 State of Caliifornia $2 1/2 Pattern PCGS 63 struck in Silver Rarity 7 PCGS Total Pop 2 66 is the high.

image >>

Very nice....
    BGG
  • Options

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    omg, thats some cooooooool stuff
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Would the mint's 25c territorials qualify for this thread?image
    Paul
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a territory until 1900.

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

North Carolina was never a territory. Nice piece of privately issued gold coin though.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perry Hall,
    It probably would've been more appropriate for Lakesammon to entitle the thread as "Territorials and Private Issues for the weekend" since he opened the thread with a private issue. California was already a state by 1861 also, much like North Carolina was by 1831-1834.

Side note: I've been seriously contemplating expanding my interests to Bechtler issues considering their ties to NC history and gold sources... not to mention they look pretty cool.

C'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

image >>

That's a really cool design... Thanks for sharing Lakesandman! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    My first serious purchase....from Bowers and Ruddy, in 1972. Now graded PCGS AU 55. Mass & Cal $5 Copper Die Trial. Kagin 2b. Photo by Todd.

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Alaska was not a colony. It was a U.S. territory. There's a big difference. >>

No, but the place where they circulated was in Palmer, AK, within a government sponsored colony. The legistation even referred to the program as a colony. >>

Have you ever been there? I live about 20 min away. It is gorgeous!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Palmer, AK.

Have you ever been there? I live about 20 min away. It is gorgeous! >>

I just visited there via Google Earth. It is gorgeous !

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Hmmmmm - perhaps I need to change the title to "Territorials for the weekday". image

Nice coins, by the way. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file