Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How did I just get outbid by split bids at Heritage?

Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭✭
I placed several bids in the Heritage online session taking place this weekend. Just now I was outbid on some lots via split bids. Unless these were mail or fax bids, I don't know how this could possibly happen.

For example, I was the high bidder on an item at $550 with a bid increment of $50. Somehow the bid is now $575.

This has happened to me previously. Do you think Heritage is giving another bidder preferential treatment or is it just coincidence that some mail or fax bidder made a fortuitous split that couldn't have been made via internet bidding?

Comments

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    You can split bid on heritage live or live online bidding.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way this can happen:

Bid sheets allow for split bids. These can be submitted by fax or by hand at the auction venue.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contrary to what you may want to believe, there are some very skillful and cunning agents/collectors that know and understand the strategy of live or fax/mail split bids. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>Contrary to what you may want to believe, there are some very skillful and cunning agents/collectors that know and understand the strategy of live or fax/mail split bids. image >>

The deadline for fax/mail bids was last Tuesday. Are you saying that bids for the online session could be presented in person after the Tuesday deadline?
  • Options

<< <i>You can split bid on heritage live or live online bidding. >>

If you want to bid one half increment higher than the current bid, you can't do that until the auction goes live.
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Many folks will place there max bid well above the current bid at an odd number to create a bid/cutoff point.

IE the bidding early starts out at $260 and a bidder thinks the final bid may be $450 or $500. To insure they get the best shot at the item they place a bid of $512 or such. The online pre-auction bidding allows you to place any amount over the minimum increment increase. I suspect that is what you are seeing and if they were the first to put up that bid then their bid takes priority until there max bid has been exceeded. Thus if you were to place your bid of $500 in my example it would show you losing out with a higher bid of that same $512.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Many folks will place there max bid well above the current bid at an odd number to create a bid/cutoff point.

IE the bidding early starts out at $260 and a bidder thinks the final bid may be $450 or $500. To insure they get the best shot at the item they place a bid of $512 or such. The online pre-auction bidding allows you to place any amount over the minimum increment increase. I suspect that is what you are seeing and if they were the first to put up that bid then their bid takes priority until there max bid has been exceeded. Thus if you were to place your bid of $500 in my example it would show you losing out with a higher bid of that same $512. >>

but in your example he would have never been shown as the high bidder which
    he states he was for a short while.

correct me if i am wrong, but the online sessions do not have live bidding in person
    because there is no actual auction at some location. this is an online auction only.

the only idea i can come up with is that someone is manually entering fax/mail bids after the deadline...
  • Options

<< <i>Many folks will place there max bid well above the current bid at an odd number to create a bid/cutoff point.

IE the bidding early starts out at $260 and a bidder thinks the final bid may be $450 or $500. To insure they get the best shot at the item they place a bid of $512 or such. The online pre-auction bidding allows you to place any amount over the minimum increment increase. I suspect that is what you are seeing and if they were the first to put up that bid then their bid takes priority until there max bid has been exceeded. Thus if you were to place your bid of $500 in my example it would show you losing out with a higher bid of that same $512. >>

I understand how the system works. What you describe is not what happened.

The bid was at $550, my bid. If I had wanted to raise my bid, I would have had to bid at least $600. Yet, somehow the bid is now $575.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was the FIRST max bidder on a coin and I still got screwed by Heritage, go figure!

It's been a few years but i'm still pee'ed. image
  • Options

Can someone explain to me why online bidding does not work the same way as floor bidding does on these online auctions only?

It seems to me that it would be a win win win situation if the auction ended 1 or 2 minutes after the last bid is received. the bidder who really wants it, has a chance to bid one more time, the seller is realizes potentially more and the auction house gets theirs.

It makes no sense to me, to not get that last chance, a last call, the same way the floor does.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The auctioneer at his / her discretion can accept a split / cut bid at the live auction. The individual who makes such bid is prohibited from making an additional bids after this. I don't bid in the internet only auctions, so I don't know how they work.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>The auctioneer at his / her discretion can accept a split / cut bid at the live auction. The individual who makes such bid is prohibited from making an additional bids after this. I don't bid in the internet only auctions, so I don't know how they work. >>

That's the old policy for live auctions. At Heritage a splitter can now bid again at the full increment.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When was this changed? If so, I didn't hear about it.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>When was this changed? If so, I didn't hear about it. >>

I've heard auctioneers talk about this for a year or more.

Incidentally, I watched the auction today and noticed at least one of the coins in question was knocked down to a mail/fax bidder.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Can someone explain to me why online bidding does not work the same way as floor bidding does on these online auctions only?

It seems to me that it would be a win win win situation if the auction ended 1 or 2 minutes after the last bid is received. the bidder who really wants it, has a chance to bid one more time, the seller is realizes potentially more and the auction house gets theirs.

It makes no sense to me, to not get that last chance, a last call, the same way the floor does. >>

That could lead to the auctions going on and on and on. And eventually negatively impact bidders, and in turn, consignors, as a result.
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I just won an item on Heritage Live when i split the bid! lol
  • Options

<< <i>I just won an item on Heritage Live when i split the bid! lol >>

Once the auction goes live, split bids are fair game.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file