Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins speak to me, do they speak to you?

When I look at a coin with a fingerprint on it, the coin says to me "I was once owned by a careless person".

When I look at a Morgan Dollar with an unusually high number of abrasions on it, the coin says to me "I was on the bottom of a bag of Silver Dollars for many years".

When I look at a 1793 Half Cent in MS 65, the coin says to me "someone appreciated me right after I was made, and I have been well taken care of for many, many years."

When I look at a coin that has obviously been artificially toned, the coin says to me "some greedy stupid person tried to make me look beautiful and ruined me".

Do coins speak to you? Can you interpret their surfaces?

Comments

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Not only do they speak to me....they make fun of me sometimes when I make a mistake after the purchase.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course they speak to me. I think that's a prerequisite to membership in this great hobby- you have to be able to hear and understand the language that the coins are whispering to you, from across great spans of time and space. All of us hear different things from them, but that just makes it more interesting.

The ones that really speak to me are my metal detector finds, because I know I am the first person in 50, 100, or 200+ years to see and hold that coin, and hear what it has to say. The place where it is found often has a lot to say about the past life of the coin and the people who would have once used it.

Ancient coins speak to me more than most other kinds (except my detector finds), but their dialect is harder to understand. They have a curious accent when they speak, because they spent millennia in the dark bosom of the earth, far away from human touch. They pass along many hints of the amazing stories they no doubt could tell, but only little glimmers of those stories can be heard. Even so, it's still enough to fascinate.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Well said.....good insigts.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I agree that each coin has had a journey that would be interesting to hear, but it's our imagination that has that coin used by civil war soldiers, George Washington, Roman senators, etc. You could do the same with the glass of water that you drink, "molecules of this water were in the glass that wet the lips of....". I certainly like what Lord M does with his imagination when he tells the stories of the coins that his metal detector finds. "That man can sure spin a tale."
    Paul
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Don't let Adrian get me! Don't let Adrian get me!" Yep! They speak to me too! image
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, they speak very load and clear. And I learn the language better every year! Hey, I'm a poet! image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I look at a monster toned coin while tripping on LSD, it says, "no, really, I'm dipped out."

Just for the record, I don't use drugs.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>When I look at a monster toned coin while tripping on LSD, it says, "no, really, I'm dipped out."

Just for the record, I don't use drugs. >>

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Don't let Adrian get me! Don't let Adrian get me!" >>

Sounds like something post 1994 Moderns might yell imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's ok, guys. I used to hear voices, too. Then the doctor strapped this electro thingy to my head and the voices went away.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi!

I'm the AU details 1963-D cent you just picked up in the parking lot of the White Castle.

Do you know what it feels like to be run over by a '94 Chevy full size van?

Look at my face!

Look at it!

It's not pretty is it?

Even putty can't help me so please, just spend me again ... and do it quickly. I don't want to spend another 47 years in a jar in the back of a closet, just waiting for my owner to die so their relatives can take me to a Coinstar machine.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    what the fingerprint is really saying is, "i was actually USED by someone for my intended purpose" ........... not all coins were minted in slabs
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Polly Wanna Cracker

• Options
    Geez, Realone, your coins SHOUT RATHER LOUDLY.

Big enough pix, y'think? image

(They're pretty, though.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only really exceptional coins -- like the Heraldic Eagle Bust $ I bought (pics were in a post I made last week) -- speak to me. I can think of five coins in my collection that are in this category, and five others I have seen (which I could not afford) make this grade.

These coins don't have to be expensive. Rather, they have to be very choice for what they are, and something which I collect.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A picture is worth a thousand words and a coin paints a thousand pictures.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Yes, especially those numismatic rarities that have history inside each one of them. I can gaze at those for hours
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Mine do not speak at all, like they have been abused so many times they are afraid of...

oh wait thats right I do not purchase crap, so nope, not at all image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Geez, Realone, your coins SHOUT RATHER LOUDLY.
    >>

more like stuttering
  • Options
    Oh, yeah. I see the s-s-stuttering, now. I just had to scroll halfway 'cross the fargin' page to do it. image

Cool.

(I suppose if I were using a different browser, it would have resized those to fit. But lately I've found that my Firefox doesn't play well with CU, so it's back to old IE, at least for the forums.)

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't plumbed the depth of this thread . . but YES! I look at every coin I buy from a sense of the history (or even the PLASTIC history), and I see those same things.

I applaud your post . . history is the only true reason we feel the passion in numismatics!!

Drunner
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    This is sort of how I buy coins.

The coin needs to speak to me and I need to like what it says.
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well said.....good insigts. >>

insights....just saying!

PS - here is another Anaconda coin....PCGS MS68

imageimage

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Inanimate objects often speak to me, but the meds help. image
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file