Home U.S. Coin Forum

South Carolina secession Sesquicentennial - Post a Civil War Token

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
150 years ago South Carolina issued its Ordinance of Seccession. A few days later it issued a Declaration of Causes.

Up until this point, it was thought by many Northerners that the tough talk of the Southerners could be compromised and that they wouldn't go this far. Now the idea of war became stronger.

This is one of the "Wealth of the South" tokens. They were struck in Cincinnati with the hope to sell them to Northerners and Southerners during the Presidential election of 1860. They were not circulating tokens, rather they are medals. "Collect them all!" might have been the sales phrase.

Post some other "Wealth of the South tokens" - lets see if we can get a whole set listed.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• That is a very cool token image
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post a Civil War Token

Here's one with a mighty bold statement...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is also an important topic of the time before shots were fired:

John Adams Dix

In May 1860 he became postmaster of New York City, and from January until March 1861 he was secretary of the treasury of the United States, in which capacity he issued (January 29, 1861) to a revenue officer at New Orleans a famous order containing the words, "if any one attempts to haul down the American flag, shoot him on the spot."

Here are the candidates:
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Lincoln is missing, for now.
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, pictures are a tad off.

imageimage
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert Lovett....to be a major figure post civil war in CSA numismatics.....had made a storecard in 1860 for his own use. Struck in a variety of metals, the copper nickel example here shares a very common look with the yet to be created CSA cent.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are the obverse and reverse of couple of rare Lincoln tokens.

The gold filled one is variety 129/349. The white metal piece is 130/347. Both are R-9 rated (2 to 4) although I can tell you that they are not quite that rare.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Here is the last of the "Wealth of the South" 1860 presidential candidates set, a Lincoln with an unusual reverse ... I like the hole in this one because it shows that the piece was probably used during the campaign unlike some others that were struck after the election. The Fuld number is 506/512mp.

imageimage

All Civil War tokens are supposed to be dated during the war years from 1861 to 1864, but these Wealth of the South tokens have been included in the set.

Here is the other Lincoln obverse variety, 506/610Aa. There is slight difference in the spacing of the lettering, and there is a period after "ILL."

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    People as if there were any pro-southern Civil War tokens. There were, but since there were very few die sinkers in the South, all of them were made in northern territory. Collectors call them the "unpatriotics" or copperheads. Here are some of the varieties.

A Wealth of the South piece, 511/518. This one has hole and has the rare 518 reverse die. I could see this one on some loyal southern's shirt or coat.

imageimage

The obverse of this looks like a patriotic token, but the reverse with "Peace Forever" tells a different story.

imageimage

And this one with the farm products and the motto "Live and let Live" is also a copperhead.

imageimage

imageimage
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excuse the poor pic.
    Found in pile of cents and sent in to ANACS

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

<< <i>Henry Cook

image >>

I was not aware that Henry Cook piece. Thanks for posting it. I'd like to find one those.
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Henry Cook

I was not aware that Henry Cook piece. Thanks for posting it. I'd like to find one those. >>

When I bought it from the Stacks Auction, this information was with it.

Here is a very high quality, generously sized (42mm) and somewhat belligerent token, both numismatic and patriotic.
    Henry Cook, who would become one of America’s first rare coin dealers, was born in Abington, MA, in 1821,
    a seventh-generation Mayflower descendant.

He moved to Boston when he was 16 years old and gained employment with a company in the export trade.
    At the age of 21 he was sent to South America to handle the firm’s interests on the west coast there.
    Later he served as mate aboard a sailing vessel which traded along that coast and with islands in the Pacific.

By the 1840s he was an avid coin collector.

In the 1850s he relinquished seafaring for the security of an on-land occupation in Boston, and entered the boot and shoe trade
    at 74 Friend Street.
    He was fond of looking through copper half cents and cents in circulation and picking out scarce dates which he displayed in a counter in his shoe shop.
    It seems that he was active in the rare coin business by the mid-1850s.

Circa 1862 he commissioned a selection of patriotic medals to be struck from his own designs, with dies by George H. Lovett.
    In 1866, still located in his shoe shop-with-coins at 74 Friend Street, Cook advertised as: “Numismatist and antiquarian.
    Rare and antique coins, medals, autographs, books, &c., bought, sold and exchanged.
    Cabinets arranged and catalogued for public sale in Boston or New York.
    Also, purchases made at all the coin and book sales in either of the above mentioned cities, on commission.”

On April 6 of the same year he was elected treasurer at the founding meeting of the New England Numismatic and Archaeological Society. I
    n 1869 Cook issued a 12-page listing, Coin and Medal Circular, Containing a Few Remarks on the American Series of Coins and Medals.
    With a Little Brief Advice to the Inexperienced Collector.

From the Q. David Bowers Collection
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, pictures are a tad off.

imageimage >>

these are nice. i got 2 thus far minus the hole
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file