Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is anyone else accessing this forum using Dial Up??

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just switched back. Sick and tired of the high cost of DSL and Xfinity....good ol AOL still alive 'n kicking with dialup at $9.95 a month and Im back online...slower, but online.

Anyone else using Dial Up to talk about US COINS on this forum today? I know Im old school, am I the last of the moheicans?

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    I used dial-up up until four years ago. I thought I'd never switch to DSL/cable. I will not switch back unless my finincial circustances change and force me to. Yes, it is pricey, but I certainly enjoy the fast speed of downloads.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just switched back. Sick and tired of the high cost of DSL and Xfinity....good ol AOL still alive 'n kicking with dialup at $9.95 a month and Im back online...slower, but online.

Anyone else using Dial Up to talk about US COINS on this forum today? I know Im old school, am I the last of the moheicans? >>

Hey ambro, your damn phone is busy!!!!! image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know they still made dialup. You must have the patience of Job.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    My land line is hooked up to a 105 year old candlestick phone, with rotary dial wired in sitting in a chestnut box. Its really for show. The computer is free to use the line all day. I rely on my iPhone for a phone. I know it will be slow. Oh Well. Maybe its just a little kick back at CoMcAsT but its one sixth the cost. More money to spend on US COINS! image

That going to save me six hundred dollars a year on internet. Six Hundred dollars. So, every January I can buy a nice US COIN for six hundred dollars using the money Ive saved in going retro here.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Went high-speed in 2005. I'd rather go without internet than go back! (My website has over 300,000 images and my YouTube page has over 200 videos- No way in heck I'd try that on dialup!)

Edit to add: Yet, oddly enough, I don't own a working CD player, my cell phone is good for talking to people and nothing else, our family daily driver was made in 1994, and if pressed I could probably find an 8-Track, cassettes for sure image
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    I think Im going to enclose the computer in a hand hewn wooden box, and take the retro effect even further back! image

But, it still posts US COINS pretty well!

• Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Just went to high speed this year .... before I could not download a thread with pictures
  • Options
    Dial up ? That would kind of be like trading in my car for a horse and buggy! image
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey ambro, your damn phone is busy!!!!! >>

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    the isp i work for still offers dialup as a service. heck we give it away to customers
    for a back up in case their dsl goes down or what not.
    double heck, we even have a website called freedialup.org . if you have a long distance
    plan that allows you to make unlimited long distance calling in the USA.. please
    go ahead and use us for free dialup. we make money off terminating the phone
    calls into our voice switches.

but to help you out.. your ilec should be able to offer you a phone line and adsl
    for less then 50 dollars a month easy. the closer you are to the central office the
    better your speed in most cases.

thanks for reading. sorry about the plug. edited to add: an ilec is your local phone
    company that owns the wires on the telephone poles. everyone else who uses them
    is a clec.
  • Options
    Actually, most "high speed" is really still dial up technology. Just check "My Networks" and see where it says "dial up". image
  • Options
    well at least if you are useing a cell phone style wireless modem. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you live too far from the central office, DSL is not much faster than dial-up and a lot more expensive. If you're going to get broadband, cable or fios is the way to go..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I would not minding saving some money, but my wife and kids would scream bloody murder. Internet shopping would take them to long and I'm sure facebook would be to slow with the pictures and all. image
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gosh, that has been so long ago, I don't even remember what you feed one.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dial up ? That would kind of be like trading in my car for a horse and buggy! image >>

Yeah, can you imagine buying hay by the gallon!!!!image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't you glad you use dial-up? Don't you wish everybody did?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lower price DSL services I see around here are ~$20/mo.
    To get dialup for $10/mo compared to that would be short sighted and suck.

My time is worth something and if you are going to do anything with graphics on the web, then dialup is NOT worth it. My mother lives in an area where she cannot get DSL nor cable modem service. I tether my cell phone to her PC when I am there to get much faster service than dialup.

XFinity is comcast TV/internet cable service...not DSL, right? So, sounds like you are either switching away from DSL AND cable, or mixing things up and you are really just getting rid of your internet cable service? THAT can run $600+/yr, if you don't call back and get pricing adjusted. So, did you drop actual DSL? Did you drop internet cable? Did you drop your TV service as well?

$600/yr, if it brings enjoyment and youc an afford it, isn't that much nowadays for established (non-student, non-beginning) adults, imho, particularly if you participate in this hobby at a level of anything over change.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Well let me tell you a bit about the method to the madness here. I had been wasting inordinante amounts of time...trotting off to the computer from the workbench...way too often. For stupid stuff, you know, far stupider than this forum. But id usually end up here..and everywhere else, you know, twenty minutes blown...and that time added up for me in a way that was becoming destructive to my business...as a solo craftsman, my bench time is my money time...and computer sit down breaks were KILLING ME.

So, heres the method...I know this dialup is so freaking slow that for the most part, all those silly trips to the computer (Hmmm I wonder how old Dawn Wells is?....hmmm google, computer, twenty minutes etc etc). now going to the computer will be a calculated effort. One that will not encourage web surfing and long pauses in the work day. Work is meant be be work and dammit I need to get off the computer during the day and work.

So now computer messing about time will be later in the evening, around now....when I usually just lax out after a long day on my feet working....so now intead of silly TV now is the computer relax with dial up...pull up a rocking chair and ease back time.

The computer home is the newest Mac my wife could buy..and it flys like superman. so that is OK for home time, but here....slooowww and and uses sparingly.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    They still make modems?
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    I hate paying what I do to Time-warner every month for just an internet connection, but I couldn't go back to dial up.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll never forget my Hayes 1200 baud external modem!!! image
    When I got my 2400, I thought I died and went to heaven!!!!....BTW, it was $400!!! image

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>When I got my 2400, I thought I died and went to heaven!!!!....BTW, it was $400!!! >>

I remember those days. 28K seemed like the jetsons.
    There's no going back after cable high speed.
    I did lose my land phone line to save money. The cell phones take care of that for cheaper.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll never forget my Hayes 1200 baud external modem!!! image
    When I got my 2400, I thought I died and went to heaven!!!!....BTW, it was $400!!! image

image >>

That's funny, GB. I can relate. I started with a 300 baud acoustic coupler and a TRS-80 with cassette tape storage back in the late 70s.

I would quit using the Internet before going back to dial-up. In fact I'm ready to upgrade our DSL and pay more just because I can't stand the sluggishness and I'm 200 yds from the central office.
    Lance.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something like T-3 here
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    I've never had anything but dialup. For threads with pictures I just open the thread, and go downstairs to stoke the woodstove. Come back 10 minutes later and the pictures are loaded most of the time. Sometimes it is stuck so I just go back to the main forum. This forum seems much faster than Coin Talk or Stamp Community. I hardly ever go on Coin Talk anymore, just impossibly slow.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    DIAL UP.... Ambro... Man... Are times tough? You need me to loan you a few g's?......... image
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll never forget my Hayes 1200 baud external modem!!! image >>

I started with a 300 baud modem on my Commodore 64. When 1200 came out, I remember people saying that the phone line could not handle that high a speed reliably!

(edited for typo)
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Superpower image

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised a few of our "nicer" forum members haven't posted any large pictures in this thread....yet....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Hey Ambro, cell phones are expensive! To stay in the spirit of frugalness ditch the cell phone and get an alpha pager!
  • Options
    I feel your pain the cost of cable is insane these days.
    Just think of the coinage you will be able to buy with your savings.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Ambro, cell phones are expensive! To stay in the spirit of frugalness ditch the cell phone and get an alpha pager! >>

Why not just get down to the basics?

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I feel your pain the cost of cable is insane these days. >>

Rabbit ear sales are on the rise too as you can pull in all your local HDTV stations clearer the cable...

Julie and Anthony Bayerl of St. Paul, Minn., love watching prime-time shows on the sleek 50-inch television in their bedroom. They also love that they pay nothing for the programming.

The only thing they do not love is how a low-flying plane, heavy rain or just a little too much movement in the room can wipe out the picture.

“If someone is changing in there, it messes up your reception,” said Ms. Bayerl, a legislative assistant. “We try to stay very still when we watch television.”

The Bayerls are using an old technology that some people are giving a second chance. They pull free TV signals out of the air with the modern equivalent of the classic rabbit-ear antenna.

Some viewers who have decided that they are no longer willing or able to pay for cable or satellite service, including younger ones, are buying antennas and tuning in to a surprising number of free broadcast channels. These often become part of a video diet that includes the fast-growing menu of options available online.

The antenna reception has also led many of these converts to discover — or rediscover — the frustration of weak and spotty signals. But its fans argue that it is tough to beat the price.

“My husband’s best friend thinks we’re big dorks for having rabbit ears and not cable,” Ms. Bayerl said. But when their introductory price for cable TV and Internet access expired this year and the bill soared to $150, the couple halved it by cutting TV. “It wasn’t something we were willing to pay for,” she said.

Many pay TV customers are making the same decision. From April to September, cable and satellite companies had a net loss of about 330,000 customers. Craig Moffett, a longtime cable analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein, said the consensus of the industry executives he had talked to was that most of these so-called cord-cutters were turning to over-the-air TV. “It looks like they’re leaving for the antenna,” he said.

Neil Smit, president of Comcast Cable, acknowledged in a recent call with investors that some customers had dropped cable for free signals. Company executives also said they expected business to rebound with the economy.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I'm almost _embarrased to admit that I'm using the "Albatross of the internet": WebTv to access the forums..

Multiple images in a post do sometimes get "stuck" & my browser doesn't have Javascript but it's ok...

Oh yeah... I also don't have cable & use rabbit ears on my tv. ha
  • Options
    The computer home is the newest Mac my wife could buy..and it flys like superman. so that is OK for home time, but here....slooowww and and uses sparingly. Oh so you still have a high speed connection in your house? Not that big of a switch then! image
  • Options
    haha, its a bit of a readjustment, but like I said, there IS a method to this madness.

I do need to stay away from the computer 99 percent of the time I should be working....but BUT do need it for the times I need to dig out an old email or find an address.

Dial up was the ONLY way I could find to control my urge to web surf and diddle away my workshop time.

However< I do like retro, in all manners and shapes. My phone in the shop is a 105 year old candlestick phone, I do NOT have cable for my TV in the office there, it is only hooked up to a VHS player. My car out front, that I drove over in, is usually a 1958 land rover, and I am busily making wet plate and daguerreotype cameras, using many of the tools formerly my grandfathers, and my fathers....oh, and the building itself is 150 years old!

,,,,maybe thats why I dont collect moderns????
  • Options
    sadly to say but i am still on dail up.
    good old aol.
    i live in the woods here in texas.
    we do not even have dsl to get.no dsl,no cable,and in a dead zone.
    so its ether dail up. or hughesnet satellite at $65 a mo.
    and i still can't play my game.
    :-(....

read this
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10454133-94.html
    40% of usa has no broadband
    read this
    http://www.betanews.com/article/US-sinks-to-15th-place-worldwide-in-broadband-says-OECD/1211388060
    usa sink to 15 place in worldwide broadband.
  • Options
    I guess I make three. I also use dialup to save a few bucks. Over the course of a year it adds up. I pay $99 for a year of dialup. I can bring my laptop to the local library, or Starbucks if I want to do downloads or something. It works for me.

I see highspeed as one more bill to pay. Sure there are teaser rates for other services, but after the teaser, most seem to average $30 on up a month. I know that it is a probably a shock to the mostly deep pocket folks that frequent these forums, but to some of us $20 a month is a measurable amount. The waiting and the workarounds are worth the $200+ a year. If it were $60 a month like Ambro was paying, there is no way I'd pay that. $720 a year vs. $99 a year? That's an easy choice for a frugal and patient person. Over ten years that might translate to $6200 worth of coins or vacations or meals out, or whatever.

That said, I doubt I could convince anyone to give up highspeed or cable TV. Many complain about lack of money, and many spend over $1000 a year on Internet/cable/phone, various packages. Again, that amount isn't much for the deep pocket folks, but for someone living paycheck to paycheck, it is. Over five years or ten years, it adds up to a small pile of money that could be used for something else.

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    <<< Again, that amount isn't much for the deep pocket folks, >>>
    My pockets are deep but my arms are too short to reach it. Tightwad bastid. I'm looking in the mirror as I say that.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up until this past June I was on AT&T dial-up with a Windows 98 computer system on a Pentium Cro-Magnon chip. Now that was slow. "Lock Up" was my middle name.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Ambro51, my hat is off for you. I see your logic, first is addressing what is like addiction, the time spent on the forums. Time is limited and you want to use yours being productive by working, doing what you do for a living; that's great. Second, you're paying attention to spending which I think is most important. At the end of the day you want to have some money left and the only way it's going to happen is if you do not spend it.

It's nice to read about someone thinking of saving instead of spending. There are a lot of people thinking about all the money they spent and now wish they handled their spending habits in a different way. Others have yet to wake up to that day, it's on the way, is not here yet, but it's coming unless more thought and change is made to spending habits.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Occasionally in Ukraine when the cable modem bites, but then I can find free wifi in many Ukrainian restaurants, or good old American brand MacDonalds(don't eat their narsty vittles though)
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    In the covered wagon days of computing (1991) I was using a 4800bps modem to access Prodigy. Then I upgraded to 9600, then 19200. Eventually, I was at 56Kb, and it was nirvana. Now DSL brings me 3Mbps (2856K, actually). That's 595 times faster than my original 1991 modem, but that advantage is partly lost due to increased traffic and graphics, which makes dial-up impractical, except for the very, very patient..
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    which makes dial-up impractical, except for the very, very patient..

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Ah, Prodigy - forgot about them. I used them with my C64 way back when. Prior to that had "Internet" access via a UUCP emulator before Al Gore invented the Web.

I used to have over the air TV at my last location. Put an antenna on the chimney with a rotator and got all Phila and NYC channels, which was more than enough, considering all the garbage on TV. Unfortunately, in my current location, the over the air reception is poor, so had to do cable, which I use for Internet, too (about 15M down, 3-4M up).
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm way too reliant on high-speed internet to ever go back. I'm also pretty sure that the time I save with high speed over dial-up makes me well more than $600 per year.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I started playing with the internet in about 93 with the first generation of Mosaic and a 9600 baud dial-up line. things have come a long way since then. now I have 15Mb cable service sitting here on my laptop connected through my wireless router...

Ain't no going back for me.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else tempted to post a few large photos on this thread?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else tempted to post a few large photos on this thread? >>

Mr Grinch don't give Broadstruck any ideas, please.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file