Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is anyone else accessing this forum using Dial Up??

2»

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Anyone else tempted to post a few large photos on this thread? >>

Wouldn't matter to me. I browse this forum and most other sites with photos and javascript turned off. Even non-photo threads take a while to load with dialup, just from avatars and hot link ads and such.

Again, I won't say my way is better or worse, it is a personal choice. I choose have a bit of extra money vs. having to wait, or just foregoing certain sites. I'm pretty sure there isn't a single young person (under 25) that can pay their own bills that uses dialup by choice. Different generations tend to have different value systems.
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    Dial up is no option here. I have spent the last 12 years on high speed, I would just give up the Internet all together if dial-up were the only option.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ambro51, Here's a practice game for dial-up auction sniping...

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still on a "party line" I have to wait for the other Bell Telephone System customer to hang up before I can log on. My AOL screen name is Adam
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been on high speed cable for about fifteen years. Dial up is just not an option for me. I would definitely forego the internet before going back to dial up. With all the hobbies/activities I have, I need the speed to get to my other stuff. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I'll stick to my high-speed (Hell, my parents pay for it anyways! Lol)

Comcast is awesome. Just tested, got 15 MBPS down, 3 up. image

-Paul
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of you guys 'get it'....that this is in addition to a cost cutting measure, its also a way to counter an 'internet addiction'. Yesterday, the shop computer was not even turned on. THATS the goal. Its there when I need it, IF I need it, but for the most part...its not used for anything other than playing stored music. You guys who get a paycheck every friday, whether you work 'hard' or just come in a hold down a desk chair...you dont know what its like being self employed. You think we have it good....yeah, right. Youre 'never done', you never get caught up, theres no getting done and leaving early, no sick days, no weekends, no overtime......its all strictly about how much time you apply directly to your 'job'. surfing the internet 40 percent of the time directly means you make 40 percent less money. NOT a way to be able to afford to buy an eight thousand dollar coin now and then.

My little 'job' essentially supplies the entire World with my products. Granted, a limited market....people who do wet plate photography and make daguerreotypes...but Id rather have the entire Worlds participants in those two obsessions coming to me...and making me work my tail off (despite the 'recession')....still a far better way of making a living than going to some stupid job you HATE 5 days a week, and giving 40 hours of your LIFE over to some bozo who signs your paycheck...so you can make HIS dreams come true...BLECH> Ill do my hard work for ME.

So, back to internet. We are still paying for cable internet here at home, fueling the brand new $3300 Mac my darling daughter *who works for Apple* talked my wife into buying.....even though she does nothing more than play on her social network sites...that darned Mac just eats up the internet.....and yes it makes my ol dialup setup at my workshop seem like a stone tool...but its OK.

Oh, heres my "job"...... www.starcameracompany.com

• Options
    It's hard to fathom going back to dial-up in 2010. My mobile phone gets a far faster connection than that these days. Dial-up may be cheap, but the difference between dial-up and broadband is almost bigger than the difference between dial-up and no access at all. With dial-up, iTunes and other online music and video services become effectively impossible. One song would take 20 minutes to download, and a standard definition movie would take all day--assuming the connection doesn't spontaneously disconnect, which it usually does, killing the download. Even basic operating system updates become tedious at best or outright impossible. I'd recommend dial-up these days only to people who use the web very casually, have plenty of free time, and who have friends who are both tech-savvy and willing to do periodic computer maintenance for you.

Edit: well, if you're doing it to reduce internet addiction, that would certainly do it.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feel like it some times when I go to upload to eBay and my end of the line DSL connection goes down to 10mbps speed. Just go get another cup of coffee while it sloggs it's way threw the five or so listings.
    Sure wish Comcast would extend it's service out here in the sticks.
  • Options
    I've been using high speed for the better part of the last decade... if not longer. Can not imagine actually having to use dial up again. Yeck.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i still use a DOS program and winword 2.0 on one of my computers at work. mostly because i am an old dog

dial-uppers beware!

or is it dial-uppers be aware!?

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why not just connect via telegraph?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    A couple of you guys 'get it'....that this is in addition to a cost cutting measure, its also a way to counter an 'internet addiction'.

Seems silly to me. Have you curtailed your TV addiction with rabbit ears and not using a remote?
  • Options
    Yup, still paying $9.95/month for my dial-up service as well.

And I still have never owned a cell phone.

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file